or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › ~$2000 budget fronts (for 5.1 build up)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

~$2000 budget fronts (for 5.1 build up) - Page 2

post #31 of 48
Thread Starter 
Oops it's a 3312.

Yeah, I've been a little wary after reading all of the stuff on the Onkyo. Denon has it's problems too I hear, but it just seems lots of folks ragging on Onkyo lately.

It seems like the 3312 has better amps? I mean, it's less (stated) power than the Onkyo, but they're discrete amps. Which I'm not sure about the Onkyo. It's too bad this part of amp specs is so uninformative.
post #32 of 48
I have not noticed much difference in power, but I have noticed that my Denon receivers run much cooler than my Onkyo receivers. What scared my from buying Onkyo right now were all the HDMI board failures.

If the two are close in price, I would say Denon.
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuga View Post

Quick question regarding receivers....

New Onkyo 809 for $610 or Open Box (with Factory warranty) Denon 3312 for 640?

You just missed the Denon 2313 for $675 at Paul's TV last week.
It would be safe to say that the prices should be coming back down soon. The announcement of the 2013 line should be happening in the next month or possibly sooner.
If you can wait a month or two you should be able to get a good deal on one of the XX13CI models.
post #34 of 48
Thread Starter 
Just found a 3312 for 500 bucks - open box on craigslist. I think I'm going to take it.
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuga View Post

Just found a 3312 for 500 bucks - open box on craigslist. I think I'm going to take it.

Does the warranty transfer?
post #36 of 48
It seems like a good price, but you have to think if a savings of $100 to $150 is worth it over AVR's (Denon 3312, 2312, Onkyo 809, etc) that are new and carry warranty's. I've done many deals on C-list, but you have to be careful. It might work for a week then **** the bed. You're out of the price of a repair.

Just food for thought....to confuse you even more! Muhahahah lol:D
post #37 of 48
If you want a deal I would buy from acccessories4less.com. Their receivers are refurbished and have a one year factory warranty and a 30 day replacement/exchange program with the option of buying an extended warranty.
post #38 of 48
Thread Starter 
the guy says it's from Best Buy....so it should carry the mfg. warranty right? He's got the receipt.

I'm also leery since all of these electronics have their problems, always nice to have warranty.
post #39 of 48
The warranty from best buy is only good for the original owner and is not transferable.
post #40 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

The warranty from best buy is only good for the original owner and is not transferable.

Bam, just read that as well.
post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuga View Post

Just ordered the Aperions, should be here in about a week. I was thinking about also ordering a set of the EMP's for their trial just for kicks.
fwiw, don't know if your still looking for recommendations as i see that you already purchased some aperions and maybe trying out the emp's . if your just auditioning i would also try out the focal814v's( $800) at accessories4less. they are the 716v's with gloss black finish and in my opinion for the price will give you just as good sound quality. maybe better just my 2 cents
post #42 of 48
Give SVS a try. 45 days no risk trial. Ship both ways. I think it will be a better comparison than the EMP Tek..although both are good.

If you are looking to save some...I have heard some great things about the EMP Tek.

As you noted...ST are in range now too.

Grand's are excellent speakers...never heard anyone knock them in any way.
post #43 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw, don't know if your still looking for recommendations as i see that you already purchased some aperions and maybe trying out the emp's . if your just auditioning i would also try out the focal814v's( $800) at accessories4less. they are the 716v's with gloss black finish and in my opinion for the price will give you just as good sound quality. maybe better just my 2 cents

I was looking at those Focals as they came up in another similar budget thread. How do they compare to the likes of Wharfedale 10.7s?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Give SVS a try. 45 days no risk trial. Ship both ways. I think it will be a better comparison than the EMP Tek..although both are good.
If you are looking to save some...I have heard some great things about the EMP Tek.
As you noted...ST are in range now too.
Grand's are excellent speakers...never heard anyone knock them in any way.

As far as the SVS, the specs look good, I don't really care for the looks. Also, the way the room is built I'm not sure if the side woofers are going to work. May have to reverse them. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the design.

How do KEF's Q900 compare to any/all of these speakers?

The Aperions get here on the 5th....my plan right now is to get these set up at home and then go audition some of the more readily available speakers at the local store. Still haven't found a free moment for that. But i figure once I've got the Aperions at home and give them a good run, I can do a better comparison to others.
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuga View Post

I was looking at those Focals as they came up in another similar budget thread. How do they compare to the likes of Wharfedale 10.7s?
As far as the SVS, the specs look good, I don't really care for the looks. Also, the way the room is built I'm not sure if the side woofers are going to work. May have to reverse them. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the design.

How do KEF's Q900 compare to any/all of these speakers?

The Aperions get here on the 5th....my plan right now is to get these set up at home and then go audition some of the more readily available speakers at the local store. Still haven't found a free moment for that. But i figure once I've got the Aperions at home and give them a good run, I can do a better comparison to others.
fwiw,don't know how they compare sound wise to the wharfedales as i never heard wharfs diamond series of speakers. i have heard their jade and discountinued evo series which are in another price range and are very good sounding speakers .imo the 716v focals are very well constructed with quality drivers,good looking and a great bargin for$800.the kefq900 are also very fine speakers but for$400-$500 more are they worth it?imo no.but you or someone else might hear them differently and warrant the extra cost but i would put the extra money towards a great sub just my 2 cents
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw,don't know how they compare sound wise to the wharfedales as i never heard wharfs diamond series of speakers. i have heard their jade and discountinued evo series which are in another price range and are very good sounding speakers .imo the 716v focals are very well constructed with quality drivers,good looking and a great bargin for$800.the kefq900 are also very fine speakers but for$400-$500 more are they worth it?imo no.but you or someone else might hear them differently and warrant the extra cost but i would put the extra money towards a great sub just my 2 cents

Focals are great speakers... accessories4less. Audition them...You may well like them. They would be high up on my recommendations as well.

Wharfs diamonds can not go wrong either..but I really liked the Focals.
post #46 of 48
Thread Starter 
So yesterday I dropped into the local audio store and did a quick audition while I had a little time to spare.

Speakers: B&W 683s, CM9s, Sonus Faber Venere's 2.5s/3.0s

All music set ups, no HT, no centers.

Salesman caught me looking at the 683's, told him I was looking in the 1500-2000 dollar range. So we threw on the 683s. They started off ok, good sound stage, but the highs were very bright and the word "crunchy" came to mind. Was rather unimpressed or underwhelmed. Balance was pretty good, with the top end gnawing a bit on my ear. Salesman said the wires he had hooked up were a little bright for the speaker, said they would sound better if he had Transparents on there. He was ready to call it quits, when I asked to hear the CM9 adjacent to the 683s. He said out of my price range, but I pressed anyway, and he went ahead and switched to them.

CM9s are way better than the 683s. Way better sound stage and imaging, nice and clear highs, very good balance. I was really impressed. Night and day between these and 683s.
So I crossed off the 683s from my list. Also said, don't play the CM9s with the Denon. They need something better.

Then he said, ok, since we've hit the 3k mark, lemme show you something else. Walks me over and sits me down in front of the Sonus Fabers Venere's. They had the 3.0s and the 2.5s set up. Puts on some Mumford and Sons (which we just heard on the CM9s). My jaw dropped. The 3.0's were incredible. He asked me to guess the price. I way over guessed. He switched to the 2.5's. sound stage grew smaller, but still sounded great. Pretty impressed with these speakers. Also, way over budget at this point. So, sales pitch judgments aside, good to know what you can get for your money.

Now I'm waiting for these Aperion's to show up. I'm very interested to see how they stack up to these other speakers. And without a doubt, during this 30-day trial, I will be going to audition a bunch of speakers.
post #47 of 48
I know of one member who owned the EMP 55ti and thought his switch to the AGV was justified....he just didn't like how the EMPs sounded... YMMV..of course.

If and when the OP has both, I'd like to read his thoughts or opinions as well....speakers are so highly subjective and not always a matter of fact. It is my opion that doing so in home is the best way to go about it.smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/772081/the-official-aperion-thread/6030#post_22266119

Another thread started over at Audiohlics... http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/79446-aperion-verus-grand-ascend-sierra-tower.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

I don't think that comparison has been done yet. Granted its only one's opinion, but still pretty cool to see what differences you find, if the cost is worth it over the EMP's, etc. The Grand Towers look amazing and I'm definitely jealous of them. I'm sure they'll best the EMP's, but just how much will be the question.

Edited by Billy p - 3/3/13 at 8:25am
post #48 of 48
suscribed. I'm interested in you review as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › ~$2000 budget fronts (for 5.1 build up)