I've made some more progress on this build over the last few weeks. An extremely busy work and family life is limiting the time allowed to me to complete.
As these will be a ported build I chose to make a square port as I did not have adequate room to allow for large enough round ports. This square port maximized the port area and minimized the space needed for it. Note that the entrance to the port has been given a 1/2" roundover.
Here is the port glued and tacked in place with brad nails. Once completed I will router out the rear of the enclosure and give a roundover on the outlet as well.
Next I began to glue the sides of the enclosure on with Titebond 2. This gives a little more bonding time than Titebond 3 to allow for positioning. In the past I've used 1/4" birch ply but it really does not like to bend very well so I chose to use 1/4" Luaun ply. In this ply the center plies all run vertically to give a strong panel but one that will bend easily in the horizontal direction. As you can see in the pics I made jigs for both sides of the box that I can use to clamp the ply to the box especially concentrating on all the sides and braces.
Here is the enclosure after 3 layers of ply are attached to each side giving a total thickness of 3/4" per side. I didn't take pics of it but I poured on the Titebond between layers of ply and used a small roller to evenly spread the glue over the entire side.
After gluing you can see in these pics the nice solid glue lines that I was able to get using the jig clamping method.
After cleaning up the edges of the enclosure by using a router and much sanding I was able to get a very nice enclosure with clean edges. Next up is making the 3/4" MDF baffle for the front of this box and routering out the horn and woofer holes. I made up a template of the horn in order to make a perfect opening for the horn to sit into. This uses lots of wood but does make for a perfect cutout for the horn.
Next up was cutting out the woofer recesses. This will provide a flush mount for the horn and both of the woofers. After making the recess for the horns the woofer cutouts were super easy.
Next up will be beginning on the veneering. I have chosen to use Lacewood paper backed veneer for this build. The front baffle will be finished with Duratex applied with a roller. Hopefully I will be able to complete the veneer this week.