or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › Best Surround Processor Currently Available?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Surround Processor Currently Available? - Page 6

Poll Results: Best Multi-Channel processor currently on the market?

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 11% (23)
    Classe SSP800
  • 10% (21)
    Bryton SP3
  • 1% (3)
    ADA Mach IV
  • 13% (27)
    ADA Mach IV+Trinnov
  • 20% (42)
    Datasat RS20i
  • 15% (32)
    Theta CB3 HDMI + Extreme Dacs
  • 5% (12)
    Krell Evolution 707
  • 11% (24)
    Mcintosh MX151
  • 7% (15)
    JBL Synthesis with SDEC 4500
  • 14% (31)
    Other (comment on your answer)
207 Total Votes  
post #151 of 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

I own the MSB DAC myself (Signature). Have not even upgraded the clock yet (will do so this month), and it already beats the crap out of anything else I have heard (previous reference was EMM Labs DAC2X). This level of performance is NOT achievable with any SSP based on standard DAC shipsets (including Krell). This is why I believe that by far the highest level of performace available in a MCH system is going the HTPC route (or modded universal player with full resolution digi out) and feeding a full resolution digital signal to a state of the art (set of) outboard DACs.
Sorry but it doesn't beat the cypher or the mt10 or even the nds music streamer which uses burr brown chips!
post #152 of 817
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by our martin View Post

Sorry but it doesn't beat the cypher or the mt10 or even the nds music streamer which uses burr brown chips!

The MT10 is a turntable. No DACs...
post #153 of 817
..
Edited by our martin - 3/4/13 at 8:07am
post #154 of 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by our martin View Post

Sorry but it doesn't beat the cypher or the mt10 or even the nds music streamer which uses burr brown chips!

May be I missed something in the article. This is what I read:

"MSB TECHNOLOGY: Diamond DAC IV
I lived with the MSB Platinum DAC III for a number of years. In that time, it became the most trusted component in my system. The sound of the DAC III was the most lifelike I had ever heard from a DAC. There was no question in my mind that, if and when I would upgrade, I would stick with MSB.

Turn the page a few years and enter the Diamond DAC IV. The sound of this DAC is so effortless; so natural; so invisible - that the old cliché "there are simply no words..." is perhaps the most honest thing I can say. I suspect that the most impressive thing I can say about this DAC is that since becoming an owner, I have been going to concerts far less frequently - It is truly that good!"

Even if someone came out of the woodworks declaring some giant killer DAC beats it, I can live with that. Opinions inevitably vary. All I can say is there is a very long list of guys that have heard any expensive DAC on the planet, that proclaim the Diamond + Galaxy the best sounding DAC they ever heard. Although I have heard only a few, this is consistent with my experience.
post #155 of 817
Probably as a stand alone dac it is the best one out..but it won't beat a cypher..i read about the msb about a year ago i wanted a good dac for a woo audio wes with stax sr009 so i know it's good..i ended up just going with a olive 06hd instead with nordost valhalla balanced xlr, still good but you can get better sound with speakers!
post #156 of 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by our martin View Post

The mt10 tuntable uses sabre 32 chips..

Why would an analog source (turntable) need DA chips?
post #157 of 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by our martin View Post

Probably as a stand alone dac it is the best one out..but it won't beat a cypher..i read about the msb about a year ago i wanted a good dac for a woo audio wes with stax sr009 so i know it's good..i ended up just going with a olive 06hd instead with nordost valhalla balanced xlr, still good but you can get better sound with speakers!

I doubt this $499 device build for iPhone, weighing probably 2 ounce, will beat the $40K+ MSB stack with galaxy clock, but it is certainly conceivable. Once the masses catch on to this, this DAC will be a big hit.

http://cypherlabs.com/product
post #158 of 817
You mean because it's already analog..i agree could be wrong but i am sure it does!
post #159 of 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by our martin View Post

You mean because it's already analog..i agree could be wrong but i am sure it does!

It must be wonderfully peaceful to inhabit a universe of absolute certainties, even if its just in the realm of consumer electronics.
post #160 of 817
Quote:
D/A CONVERSION TYPE
N/A
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=Source&ProductId=MT10
post #161 of 817
Ok i agree if i am wrong i am wrong..i will take that part off my thread!
post #162 of 817
Sorry cipher..
post #163 of 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by our martin View Post

Ok i agree if i am wrong i am wrong..i will take that part off my thread!

Declaring a turntable a Sabre DAC equiped top of the line D/A converter frankly does not help credibility of other statements about things high-end. I was about to buy up the entire inventory of $499 cypher DACs, get the word out on the forums and then sell them at high mark-up on eBay, but I'll probably pass..
post #164 of 817
Thread Starter 
post #165 of 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

Declaring a turntable a Sabre DAC equiped top of the line D/A converter frankly does not help credibility of other statements about things high-end. I was about to buy up the entire inventory of $499 cypher DACs, get the word out on the forums and then sell them at high mark-up on eBay, but I'll probably pass..
"Block Member" my friend.



*Sent from my iPad, while riding in my Saoutchik-bodied Bugatti Royale limo*
post #166 of 817
I admit if i am wrong i am wrong!
post #167 of 817
post #168 of 817
Edorr

I have 12 channels. Short DB25 cable from Trinnov to Oppo that Curt made.
Edited by Randy Bessinger - 3/4/13 at 8:51am
post #169 of 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post

Edorr

I have 12 channels. Short DB25 cable from Trinnov to Oppo that Curt made.

So does the Trinnov expand the 6 (or 8) channels coming out of the Oppo to 12 channels in your system?
post #170 of 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

So does the Trinnov expand the 6 (or 8) channels coming out of the Oppo to 12 channels in your system?

In my system the Trinnov 3-D remapping and bass management seamlessly expands even a two channel stereo input to all twelve channels in an 11.1 system -- it's fun to watch only two bouncing channels on the input meters show up as 12 bouncing output channels on the meters. (A multichannel modded Oppo would also remap to all 11.1 channels.)

In the past I'd stayed with Meridian 861vX largely because their Trifield mode was the only surround mode that didn't feel overly artificial and processed. With Trinnov's 3D remapping I no longer have any need for Trifield.
post #171 of 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post

In my system the Trinnov 3-D remapping and bass management seamlessly expands even a two channel stereo input to all twelve channels in an 11.1 system -- it's fun to watch only two bouncing channels on the input meters show up as 12 bouncing output channels on the meters. (A multichannel modded Oppo would also remap to all 11.1 channels.)

In the past I'd stayed with Meridian 861vX largely because their Trifield mode was the only surround mode that didn't feel overly artificial and processed. With Trinnov's 3D remapping I no longer have any need for Trifield.

I only have a four channel Trinnov unit, but don't use 3D remapping on my stereo sources....
post #172 of 817
Bruce, did you purchase the Smartmeter bundle?
post #173 of 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

Bruce, did you purchase the Smartmeter bundle?

No. The ADA Reference unit comes with input meters and output meters. (I don't know if those are the same as the Trinnov Smartmeter bundle, but suspect they're not.)
post #174 of 817
When I was auditioning Trinnov using Curt's MC Pro it had the SmartMeter software. Seemingly for professional use, it's fun to look at, but I couldn't find any particular use for me. I'm curious to see if anyone has ordered an MC pro with it and found it to be useful in a home setup.
post #175 of 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

When I was auditioning Trinnov using Curt's MC Pro it had the SmartMeter software. Seemingly for professional use, it's fun to look at, but I couldn't find any particular use for me. I'm curious to see if anyone has ordered an MC pro with it and found it to be useful in a home setup.

I believe Curt is on the record somewhere saying there is no use for this functionality in a non-professional application.
post #176 of 817
Thread Starter 
Richard has graciously invited me to tour the ADA facility and give me a personal audition of the ADA + Trinnov this Wednesday. Pending any logistic issues or a change in his or my schedule, I'm looking forward to it.

That's what I call a class act.

Thanks again Richard.
post #177 of 817
That's awesome. It's because ADA is such a class-act that I've been proud to be a dealer for so long. ...And the Reference IS the king of the hill- regardless of what may be stated elsewhere, nothing compares to it as a total package.

Dan
post #178 of 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

So does the Trinnov expand the 6 (or 8) channels coming out of the Oppo to 12 channels in your system?
Yes it does.
post #179 of 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis View Post

That's awesome. It's because ADA is such a class-act that I've been proud to be a dealer for so long. ...And the Reference IS the king of the hill- regardless of what may be stated elsewhere, nothing compares to it as a total package.

Dan

OT but what do you think of ADAs 'lower' end processors?
post #180 of 817
I own a Suite 7.1 for personal use (family room), and have sold several Rhapsodys. Our demo system would have Rhapsody/TEQ-12 had the Reference not been introduced. ADA gear works how it's supposed to, all the time and their support is spectacular! On the rare occasion I've had trouble, they have always come through for me.

In my opinion, they are one if the most under-rated manufacturers in consumer electronics.

Dan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › Best Surround Processor Currently Available?