Originally Posted by sdurani
After all, having lots of processing ability on tap isn't beneficial unless you do something interesting or unique with it.
This is sort of the crux of things, or perhaps more broadly, what does $20k get you?
We'll all have different reasons - for me, I need to know
- the native sound quality is remarkably better than the $3-6k range of processors out there.
- that Dirac Live is remarkably better than Audeyssy Pro
- that Datasat is in this for the long haul (and this is a tough question to have a secure answer, but it's important. Developing a qualified dealer channel is difficult, getting mindshare amongst all the established players and the marketplace is not easy - do they pull out in 12-18 months? Are they investing in the channel adequately? The two demo's I've heard were far from rock solid setups, (though I reserve final judgment...)
- that the upgradability is real and will not hose you. The few devices in the past that claimed upgradability either never fulfilled that promise, or were unnecessarily expensive (how much was the Theta HDMI upgrade? $5-7k? Not sure...) I know the True HD card, with other performance enhancements is coming free of chrage, and that's great, though that's one that had to be there just to get to feature parity with the competition and that cost was probably baked in.
- that one will be able to own and run Dirac Live and not need a PhD to get it right.
Anyway, I'm not here to poo poo the RS20 - conversely, I've already invested quite a bit of time to demo it, with Tony, and hope give it another shot if the right opportunity arises It is intriguing. I know for some people, $15-20k is like $1500-$2000, so these questions are probably not of keep interest. But my philosophy is regardless of what I can afford, it has be worth
BTW, there are no published performance specs on the Datasat?