or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Need help picking speaker wire and terminations MODERATOR PLEASE CLOSE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help picking speaker wire and terminations MODERATOR PLEASE CLOSE - Page 2  

post #31 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by diomania View Post

You are telling me who to speak for and who not to. What are you, a forum moderator?
No I am not...but let me ask you...what makes you think everyone thinks like you regarding zip cord wire?
post #32 of 73
Quote:
what makes you think everyone thinks like you regarding zip cord wire?
Not everyone thinks like him. Ignorance is widespread.
post #33 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

No I am not...
You fooled me for a minute with your authoritative reply.
Quote:
but let me ask you...what makes you think everyone thinks like you regarding zip cord wire?
That has to have something to do with what everyone thinks? Since when? And what are you, some expert in people's expression?
post #34 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Not everyone thinks like him. Ignorance is widespread.
N.S.S...smile.gif
post #35 of 73
I am an installer, and I will tell you, if its well made, all copper wire, of sufficient gauge, it will work.

Logans can suck up some juice, so I would go up a size, but remember, most listening takes place at less than ten watts, so 12 is huge for most application
post #36 of 73
josh6113, I don't use private messages to debate subjects that are already in progress in public view. Keep it on the thread.
post #37 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Skubinski View Post

You have also been saving yourself from having the best sound possible.
Assumption not based in fact, not even close. Not sure your sig explains your monetary ties to selling cables?
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

That is a link to conversation about the anti cable Bislander...he is asking about cables and I recommended one...if he wants to join in the thread I'm sure he will find it...smile.gif

Another assumption not based in facts.
post #38 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

My sources indicate that your speakers are very atypical in that they have very low impedance at the upper end of the audio band - perhaps much less than an ohm.

The usually recommended 12 gauge zip cord has an approximate reactance of 0.23-0.24 uHy per foot per numerous sources.

Its series impedance at 20 KHz is about 0.030 ohms per foot, which leads to up to 3 dB loss @ 20 KHz for a 20' speaker cable and proportionately different for other lengths. This could be marginally audible.

.....
Most likely he will not hear 20kHz and lucky to hear 16 kHz;)
post #39 of 73
20hz and in ceiling is a bad combo, that tends to vibrate the drywall
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

Most likely he will not hear 20kHz and lucky to hear 16 kHz;)
post #40 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

My sources indicate that your speakers are very atypical in that they have very low impedance at the upper end of the audio band - perhaps much less than an ohm.

The usually recommended 12 gauge zip cord has an approximate reactance of 0.23-0.24 uHy per foot per numerous sources.

Its series impedance at 20 KHz is about 0.030 ohms per foot, which leads to up to 3 dB loss @ 20 KHz for a 20' speaker cable and proportionately different for other lengths. This could be marginally audible.

.....
Most likely he will not hear 20kHz and lucky to hear 16 kHz;)

All true, but perhaps due to the gentle slope, it is often audible. Is it the 1/2 dB loss at 10 KHz? I dunno but I've seen a first order roll off like this reliably detected in DBTs by high teens-low twenties listeners.
post #41 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by diomania View Post

josh6113, I don't use private messages to debate subjects that are already in progress in public view. Keep it on the thread.
You had a problem with what I said so it was between you and me...no need to involve the entire forum...you should understand that.
post #42 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

Assumption not based in fact, not even close. Not sure your sig explains your monetary ties to selling cables?
Another assumption not based in facts.
I said if he WANTS to join he can...not that he WILL....if I said WILL...that is an assumption... Learn the difference Charles.
post #43 of 73
Participating was not the assumption. It was finding the other thread. And that assumption was expressed as a certainty. ("I am sure he will find it.") i included the link because I did not share your assumption.
post #44 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Participating was not the assumption. It was finding the other thread. And that assumption was expressed as a certainty ("I am sure he will find it."). I included the link because I did not share your assumption.
Twisting words to form your opinion is just that...it would make more scents if I said:I am sure he HAS found it....and from your quote your assuming you know what Charles meant....and since I addressed the first part of my post all you had was to goto the last part of my post and get you assumption argument there...childish?...yes I think so.
Edited by josh6113 - 2/25/13 at 7:57pm
post #45 of 73
What?
post #46 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

Twisting words to form your opinion is just that...it would make more scents if I said:I am sure he HAS found it....

Quoted for the fun of it.
post #47 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

You had a problem with what I said so it was between you and me...no need to involve the entire forum...you should understand that.
What you post in public forum is public knowledge, you should understand that.

Again, regarding the quote below, that has to have something to do with what everyone thinks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

but let me ask you...what makes you think everyone thinks like you regarding zip cord wire?
post #48 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by diomania View Post

What you post in public forum is public knowledge, you should understand that.

Again, regarding the quote below, that has to have something to do with what everyone thinks?
You don't understand what I'm talking about so I'll let it lie.
post #49 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeworkstoohard View Post

I am an installer, and I will tell you, if its well made, all copper wire, of sufficient gauge, it will work.

Logans can suck up some juice, so I would go up a size, but remember, most listening takes place at less than ten watts, so 12 is huge for most application

The fallacy shown above seems to be that we size speaker cables to handle power. That's true for electricians and line power but it is not true for good audio people. They size speaker cables to maintain good frequency response at the far end of the cable.
post #50 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

You don't understand what I'm talking about so I'll let it lie.
No, you don't understand what you were replying (post #12) about. Now you are trying to sweep it under the rug. Let me simplify it for you, post #12 wasn't about people's perception.
post #51 of 73
Thread Starter 
Seriously, what is wrong with you people? I asked for advice on speaker wire and you people just started a pissing contest over nothing. To those of you who actually gave me good advice, I thank you. Pretentious and condescending "audiophiles" like you are the reason I hope no one calls me an audiophile because then I get associated with the likes of you.

If an actual mod is reading this thread please just close it.
post #52 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

Seriously, what is wrong with you people? I asked for advice on speaker wire and you people just started a pissing contest over nothing. To those of you who actually gave me good advice, I thank you. Pretentious and condescending "audiophiles" like you are the reason I hope no one calls me an audiophile because then I get associated with the likes of you.

If an actual mod is reading this thread please just close it.

Frankly, you're lucky it didn't turn into a "you people think all amplifiers sound exactly alike" thread.
post #53 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeworkstoohard View Post

20hz and in ceiling is a bad combo, that tends to vibrate the drywall

I am pretty sure I was talking about 20kHz and audibility of a 3 dB roll off at fr.wink.gif
post #54 of 73
Instead of asking that the thread be closed, edit the title to something like "Please waste everyone's time with pointless bickering" and the body to something like "I don't care what the topic is, let's see how far you clowns can take it."
post #55 of 73
Why can't we all just get along? smile.gif
post #56 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

Seriously, what is wrong with you people? I asked for advice on speaker wire and you people just started a pissing contest over nothing. To those of you who actually gave me good advice, I thank you. Pretentious and condescending "audiophiles" like you are the reason I hope no one calls me an audiophile because then I get associated with the likes of you.

If an actual mod is reading this thread please just close it.
This is why I sent diomania a P.M. to keep it between us...not post in your thread because that's immature...he didn't think so....I apologize for the bickering...but your right.
post #57 of 73
We are getting 8-10" of snow here in Howell Michigan, how about others?
post #58 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

We are getting 8-10" of snow here in Howell Michigan, how about others?

Did you objectively measure the snow, or are you merely reporting your subjective impressions of it? Did your wife notice the amount from another room, too?
post #59 of 73
well, last night the objective weather stations modeling data predicated 8-10"
Then, my subjective feeling was "maybe we will get 5-6 in of snow".

Objective measurements this morning is 5" on the ground, with a 80% chance (probability) of 1-2" more during the day.

smile.gif

related to speaker wire, I used 14ga/4c , bought a 500' spool from Parts Express the in wall Cl2/CL3 stuff.
I had some really long runs, the rear surrounds and side surrounds on opposite of the AV closet, so desired the heavier gauge cable, 14ga/4c twisted together is 11ga.
All my speakers are driven like that, yea overkill for the close speakers but to be consistent it was just easier.

Terminations, I just stripped them and used banana plugs for the AVR and for the speaker direct connect thru the wall, no wall terminal plates.
post #60 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

Pretentious and condescending "audiophiles" like you are the reason I hope no one calls me an audiophile because then I get associated with the likes of you.
Not all audiophiles are like that. There's a way to spot those you are thinking about. They typically say things like "try them yourself", "how do you know if you haven't used them?" about audio cables.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Need help picking speaker wire and terminations MODERATOR PLEASE CLOSE