or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › 2014 list of consumer available DVR's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 list of consumer available DVR's - Page 8

post #211 of 472

From the FCC as reported by FierceCable:

 

Also worth noting from the report:              

  • The FCC said cable operators installed 38,000 CableCARDs in retail devices such as TiVo (Nasdaq: TIVO) DVRs and connected TVs in 2012.
  • The number of households that rely solely on over-the-air antennas to watch TV remained flat at 11.1 million in 2012.
  • Deployments of DVRs in pay TV homes increased to 50.3 million in 2012, up from 46.3 million in 2011. DVR penetration in TV homes has increased to 43.8 percent.

 

There is much more, but I thought this was significant for this thread.

post #212 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

From the FCC as reported by FierceCable:

Also worth noting from the report:              
  • The FCC said cable operators installed 38,000 CableCARDs in retail devices such as TiVo (Nasdaq: TIVO) DVRs and connected TVs in 2012.
  • The number of households that rely solely on over-the-air antennas to watch TV remained flat at 11.1 million in 2012.
  • Deployments of DVRs in pay TV homes increased to 50.3 million in 2012, up from 46.3 million in 2011. DVR penetration in TV homes has increased to 43.8 percent.

There is much more, but I thought this was significant for this thread.
Is there an URL to this?
post #213 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post


Is there an URL to this?

The FCC report:

http://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-adopts-15th-report-video-competition-0

 

Under Hot News on FierceCable:

http://www.fiercecable.com/

 

I subscribe so I get an email.

post #214 of 472
Newegg has the Hauppage WinTV-HVR-950Q for $45 after $20 mail-in rebate. Comes with remote (and antenna- meh). Apologies if inappropriate here.
post #215 of 472
Hauppauge products aren't listed here, because they're useless on their own. They require a PC and PVR software, and this topic is for autonomous DVRs.
post #216 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Hauppauge products aren't listed here, because they're useless on their own. They require a PC and PVR software, and this topic is for autonomous DVRs.

That's what makes the inclusion of the iView questionable. It's also useless on it own as a DVR. The iView and Homeworx devices are really in a class of their own.
post #217 of 472
It's hyperbolic to call the iView useless, since it does technically let you watch and record TV. It may be too unstable to appeal to most people, but a Hauppauge product really is incapable of performing any functions without a PC. The iView doesn't perform any of its functions well, but it does still perform them.
post #218 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

It's hyperbolic to call the iView useless, since it does technically let you watch and record TV. It may be too unstable to appeal to most people, but a Hauppauge product really is incapable of performing any functions without a PC. The iView doesn't perform any of its functions well, but it does still perform them.

But when you use the word autonomous, that indicates that the device will function as a DVR independently of any other device. The iView and the Homeworx will not function as a DVR without the addition of some storage device (hard drive, usb stick, whatever). The iView and the Homeworx, by virtue of their own advertising, are sold as tuners not DVR's. I didn't say that they were useless, I said they were "useless on their own as a DVR". The fact that they both have issues is irrelevant to the point I made.
post #219 of 472

You could include the TViX/M6620N also. It's in a (price) class all its own though.

post #220 of 472
Thread Starter 
If you removed the HDD from all the DVR's, they would be useless as a DVR. rolleyes.gif
The location of a HDD is really irrelevant. You could also claim products with an external PS are useless on their own.
post #221 of 472
I really don't think saying "you need to add your own HDD" is quite the same as saying "you need to add your own PC."
post #222 of 472
It's like saying a DVD recorder isn't autonomous, because you must supply blank DVDs, or a VCR isn't autonomous, because you need to supply blank tapes. I disagree.
post #223 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

It's like saying a DVD recorder isn't autonomous, because you must supply blank DVDs, or a VCR isn't autonomous, because you need to supply blank tapes. I disagree.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. smile.gif
The blank DVD's or blank tapes are media that cost from pennies to a couple of dollars. The hard drive you need to add to the iView can easily cost two or three times the cost of the iView. wink.gif
post #224 of 472
Good point about the price. If someone buys an iView or Homeworx expecting a DVR for 2 figures, they're going to be disappointed. Perhaps the comparison chart should add a line for "total system price" that adds $100 or so to the cost of the "diskless" units.

Of course, instead of an external HDD, one could just use memory sticks like tiny VHS tapes: a few hours of video on each one (depending on stick capacity, and video resolution and quality, of course). The cost would eventually add up, but at least it would be cheap up-front (kind of like TiVo tongue.gif ). Besides, even allowing an extra $100 for an external HDD, the iView/Homeworx is still competitive with the BriteView (the other 1-tuner "budget" DVR listed), so I think it does belong in this chart.

But PC tuners like the Hauppauge are strictly PC accessories that can do nothing outside of that environment. A PC tuner comparison chart (over in the HTPC forum) would be useful, but including PC tuners in this chart would only confuse folks shopping for a DVR. (You could argue that DVR software for PC's should be included in the chart, but we've already had that discussion.)
post #225 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Good point about the price. If someone buys an iView or Homeworx expecting a DVR for 2 figures, they're going to be disappointed. Perhaps the comparison chart should add a line for "total system price" that adds $100 or so to the cost of the "diskless" units.

Of course, instead of an external HDD, one could just use memory sticks like tiny VHS tapes: a few hours of video on each one (depending on stick capacity, and video resolution and quality, of course). The cost would eventually add up, but at least it would be cheap up-front (kind of like TiVo tongue.gif ). Besides, even allowing an extra $100 for an external HDD, the iView/Homeworx is still competitive with the BriteView (the other 1-tuner "budget" DVR listed), so I think it does belong in this chart.

But PC tuners like the Hauppauge are strictly PC accessories that can do nothing outside of that environment. A PC tuner comparison chart (over in the HTPC forum) would be useful, but including PC tuners in this chart would only confuse folks shopping for a DVR. (You could argue that DVR software for PC's should be included in the chart, but we've already had that discussion.)

You are right. When I bought a BV-980H I was delighted that I could record to a USB memory stick. Then I found that I was unable to find a 8GB or 16GB device that was fast enough for 1080i/5.1. Perhaps things are better now?

 

It's really a moot point now since my recording habits have changed. Every day I record Leno, Fallon, The Daily Show and probably one or more HD network shows. It was a great idea. Too soon I guess.

post #226 of 472
Question: I just moved to a Hawaii rental condo which includes Standard package from Oceanic TW cable as part of the rent. The ouput from cable outlet is QAM & analog signals. Cable company is offering the dvr for $16 a month foth the 1st year (price goes up $12).
Another option is to use a old VCR for analog recording and buy the iview3500 to record the QAM programming. Is there a better solution dvr on the market to do both analog and QAM? I am grateful for any solutions.
post #227 of 472
If you want to do both with one unit, your best option is probably to build a HTPC. All new DVR options support DTV only; they don't include hardware to digitise analogue signals. Some PC TV tuner cards, however, still do. The alternative is to use a DVR for QAM and use a VCR for NTSC.
post #228 of 472
post #229 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

New TIVO Offering.

https://www.tivo.com/discover/antenna
Still too expensive with the required monthly/lifetime subscription. frown.gif
post #230 of 472
Nice to see they finally acknowledged the cord-cutters. Their last DVR was cable-only.

The Roamio drops the dual RF inputs, though. If you're a dual OTA+cable household you still need the "old standby" Premiere (or an HTPC, or a PHD-VRX if clear QAM is enough) so you can have dual RF inputs.
post #231 of 472
Cutting the cord means:

- not paying a cent for free OTA TV
- no monthly charges for OTA TV or OTA guide info
- no $500 "lifetime" fee to enable your DVR to work on OTA channels.
If you pay TIVO any monthly or lifetime charge, imho you aren't a cord-cutter!
(And you are eligible for a discounted monthly license fee paid to me, authorizing you to breathe the free air already available to you. Air-vo. Air when you want it, where you want it!)
post #232 of 472
If, in 2006 you bought a new Sony DVR for $1000 to use OTA, were you a cord cutter?
post #233 of 472
Perhaps a bleeding-edge one
post #234 of 472
Good question. If one considers the "$500 lifetime (of the DVR) fee" for a TIVO as being part of the retail price, that does seem very cord-cutter-like, admittedly!
post #235 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post

If one considers the "$500 lifetime (of the DVR) fee" for a TIVO as being part of the retail price, that does seem very cord-cutter-like, admittedly!
Exactly because that is all it is -- part of the one-time retail price. People get so hung up over the "subscription" when it is nothing more than part of the one-time price you pay. I think what they are really bitching about is that fact that it costs a lot more than they want to spend. Rather than admit it, they attack TiVo because they don't sell their DVR at a price they want to pay. The alternatives are cheaper but you get what you pay for, sometimes.
post #236 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

If, in 2006 you bought a new Sony DVR for $1000 to use OTA, were you a cord cutter?

Did you get that DVR at the same time you cancelled your cable service? In my mind, cutting the cord represents severing ties to the mothership and its associated fees and surveillance. TiVo has its own mothership separate from the cable company's, so using a TiVo OTA doesn't mean you've cut the cord, IMO. You've just substituted one cord for another, which would make you a cord swapper, rather than a cutter.
post #237 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Exactly because that is all it is -- part of the one-time retail price. People get so hung up over the "subscription" when it is nothing more than part of the one-time price you pay. I think what they are really bitching about is that fact that it costs a lot more than they want to spend. Rather than admit it, they attack TiVo because they don't sell their DVR at a price they want to pay. The alternatives are cheaper but you get what you pay for, sometimes.
Totally agree, day 1 I paid $520 for my Tivo HD and lifetime, I look at like I paid $520 for a great standalone recorder with no fees. I could have purchased a Sony DHG for even more but look where that would have gotten me now tongue.gif
I've given up trying to convince the people that can't understand that concept, it's only they that are missing out on a great reliable HD recorder rolleyes.gif

Hey before I finally bought my Tivo I told myself I'd never purchase a Tivo, that was before I learned about Lifetime without no monthly fees,NEVER looked back smile.gif
post #238 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Did you get that DVR at the same time you cancelled your cable service? In my mind, cutting the cord represents severing ties to the mothership and its associated fees and surveillance. TiVo has its own mothership separate from the cable company's, so using a TiVo OTA doesn't mean you've cut the cord, IMO. You've just substituted one cord for another, which would make you a cord swapper, rather than a cutter.

My question was purely hypothetical. I've always had OTA, and added Cable in the mid-to-late 80's. My point was that the DHG-HDD500 originally sold for $1000 and the Guide was "Free", although you can be sure the buyer paid for the Guide when buying a DHG. I paid $650 for my first DHG in late 2006, new in an unopened box on Ebay. NOTHING is "Free", but it's true that I had no monthly Guide expense. My first three Tivo's cost about $700 each, including Lifetime and Wireless-N adapters. They included two tuners, twice as much hard drive, networking capability, more features, and overall better reliability. It's still true that nothing is "Free", but I still have no monthly Guide expense. Go figure . . .
post #239 of 472
Can the Digital Stream DVR record analog (NTSC), or does it just let you view it like the PHD-VRX? The specs say it will:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post


where did that thing come from? Sounds interesting and the $199 PP from B&H is very attractive.
W/M sells it for $100 more....The front says Digital Stream, I assume the same company that sold CECBs??

It mentions EPG but I wonder if it's just PSIP.... it does say 7 day and technically PSIP can go to 7 but rarely over 24hrs. Interesting that is has a composite input...

Cut and paste from B&H:
RF Terrestrial ATSC (8VSB): Yes (RF 2-69)
64QAM & 256QAM: Yes (RF 1-135)
NTSC: Yes (Air/Cable)
RF Input: F-Type x 1
Loop-Through RF Output: F-Type x1
Tuner (ATSC/QAM/NTSC): x 2 (x 1 for NTSC)
Record and Playback Digital Channel Recording & Play: Yes
Analog Channel or CVBS Input Recording & Play: Yes
Simultaneous Record and Other Channel View: Yes (DTV Channels)
Simultaneous Record and Playback: Yes (DTV Channels)
Scheduled Recording: Yes (DTV Channels)
Trick Play: Yes
Built-in HDD: 250GB (2.5" HDD)
Recorded File Management: Yes
Audio AC-3 Audio Decoding: Yes
Audio Down-Mix: Yes
MPEG-1 Audio Decoding: Yes
Digital Multi-Lingual: Yes
BTSC Stereo/SAP Audio: Yes
Video Processing MPEG-2 SD/HD Decoding: MP@ML, MP@HL
NTSC (RF and CVBS Input): Yes
Timer Automatic Time Setting: Yes
Daylight Saving Time: Yes
Time Zone Setting: Yes
OSD Supported Languages: English, Spanish
1 Week EPG Data: Yes
Single Channel EPG: Yes
Channel Information Banner: Yes
Channel Editing: Yes
Auto Channel Scan: Yes
Signal Strength Display: Yes
Recorder Control Menu: Yes
V-Chip Parental Control DTV-CC (Compliant with FCC Mandate): Yes
Analog CC ( EIA-608A) Bypass: Yes
Parental Control: Yes
Video Display Aspect Ratio Control (Pan Scan, Letterbox): Yes
Control Front Keypad (7 Keys): Vol+/-, CH+/-, Menu, OK, Power
Universal RCU: Yes
Input/Output Composite Video (CVBS) Output x 1
Component Video (YPbPr) Output x 1
HDMI Output x 1
Stereo L/R Audio Output x 1
SPDIF Optical Output x 1
Composite Video (CVBS) Input x 1
Stereo L/R Audio Input x 1
USB 2.0 x 1
Additional Controls Boot Logo: Yes
Volume & Mute Control: Yes
JPEG Viewer: Yes
I'd like someone to confirm before I recommend it though. Despite the long feature list it's not my favorite DVR by a long shot, but if you need one box to record both analog (NTSC) and HD digital video, it's probably the only game in town other than a PC. (Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders will do it, but I understand they down-convert HD to SD.)
Edited by JHBrandt - 8/23/13 at 2:38pm
post #240 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Can the Digital Stream DVR record analog (NTSC), or does it just let you view it like the PHD-VRX? The specs say it will:
I'd like someone to confirm before I recommend it though. Despite the long feature list it's not my favorite DVR by a long shot, but if you need one box to record both analog (NTSC) and HD digital video, it's probably the only game in town other than a PC. (Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders will do it, but I understand they down-convert HD to SD.)

Confirm: Magnavox series all convert to 480i digital before HDD or DVD storage. Playback is (nicely) up-converted to 480p through 1080p over HDMI.  I have the 515H and 2160A. Nice units. Not for an HD purist though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › 2014 list of consumer available DVR's