or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Theater Room Items & Accessories › Remote control dimmer for LED's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Remote control dimmer for LED's

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
I'm looking for a remote controlled dimmer that will work with dimmable LED's and my Harmony 650. I thought I had found one in the Lutron MIR600-THW, but the website says it won't dim LEDs. Anyone have an idea?
post #2 of 27
I spent a while looking for this functionality, and in the end I just said screw it and stuck with incandescent bulbs for this instance. For my setup it's only 2 x 60w bulbs and they're off most of the time anyway so the cost/energy saving of going to LED or CFL wasn't huge.
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera2345 View Post

I spent a while looking for this functionality, and in the end I just said screw it and stuck with incandescent bulbs for this instance. For my setup it's only 2 x 60w bulbs and they're off most of the time anyway so the cost/energy saving of going to LED or CFL wasn't huge.

Yeah, I just installed 8 recessed lights in that room and am using LED's in them. 13.5w vs 50w makes a bit of difference for those.
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Driver View Post

Yeah, I just installed 8 recessed lights in that room and am using LED's in them. 13.5w vs 50w makes a bit of difference for those.

If those are the ones from Home Depot the directions are wrong on those. Regular incandescent dimmers will work with those LEDs like Lutron's Maestro that has a remote that the Harmony can duplicate.
post #5 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

If those are the ones from Home Depot the directions are wrong on those. Regular incandescent dimmers will work with those LEDs like Lutron's Maestro that has a remote that the Harmony can duplicate.

They are from Lowe's, but are dimmable. I have the same bulbs in another part of the house and use a 'standard' dimmer on them and they work. The Lutron website says that the MIR600 won't work with LED's, and a phone call to customer service confirmed that. They have dimmers that control LED's, but not remote control ones. I guess I'm hoping that someone has this dimmer and is using LED's. May try it anyway.
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Driver View Post

They are from Lowe's, but are dimmable. I have the same bulbs in another part of the house and use a 'standard' dimmer on them and they work. The Lutron website says that the MIR600 won't work with LED's, and a phone call to customer service confirmed that. They have dimmers that control LED's, but not remote control ones. I guess I'm hoping that someone has this dimmer and is using LED's. May try it anyway.

I do have the standard incandescent Lutron Maestro dimmer and I am using it to dim Home Depot recessed LED cans. I did not buy the LED bulbs separately though. They came with the fixtures. It says on the can fixture box that they must be used with LED dimmers but just not true. Yes, I called Lutron too and they told me it would't work but again just not true. There is a lot on Home Depot's web site about this.
Edited by macfan - 2/26/13 at 7:36am
post #7 of 27
Interesting...I guess I never tried LED bulbs because the Maestro dimmer said not to, but I do have a few LEDs laying around waiting for another project so I might give it a try.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera2345 View Post

Interesting...I guess I never tried LED bulbs because the Maestro dimmer said not to, but I do have a few LEDs laying around waiting for another project so I might give it a try.

I am not sure about all LED bulbs working with Maestro dimmers. I just know they work with the Home Depot LED can fixtures. Check out the reviews on the Home Depot web site.
post #9 of 27
Thread Starter 
FWIW - Being the hard headed skeptic I am, I went ahead and bought the Lutron IR dimmer. It did not work with my LED's, they are Utilitech brand from Lowe's. A buddy of mine just replaced his recessed incandescent lights with Home Depot LED's, so I let him try the dimmer. It works on those! He also has the Harmony 650 and it controls them perfectly. I still find it hard to believe that no one has an IR dimmer that is made to control LED's.
post #10 of 27
When you guys are saying "Home Depot LED's" are you referring to these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-BR30-9-Watt-65W-Soft-White-2700K-LED-Flood-Light-Bulb-4-Pack-ECS-BR30L-W27-65WE-120/204248977#.UZEOH7Xvsuc

Or are you talking about something else? Just bought a handful of these but would like to install an IR dimmer as well...
post #11 of 27
Thread Starter 
I didn't get those exact ones, but yese, the ecosmart ones.
post #12 of 27
I know this thread is a couple months old but I wanted to share my experience. I have the Lutron MIR-600THW dimmer and the Lowes Utilitech dimmable LED bulbs with 4 can lights. As long as at least 1 of the cans has an incandescent bulb in it, the other 3 LED's work fine. All 4 LED's won't work.
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper515 View Post

I know this thread is a couple months old but I wanted to share my experience. I have the Lutron MIR-600THW dimmer and the Lowes Utilitech dimmable LED bulbs with 4 can lights. As long as at least 1 of the cans has an incandescent bulb in it, the other 3 LED's work fine. All 4 LED's won't work.
I just came across this thread while researching an IR dimmer switch for the LED lights in my harmony touch controlled HTR. I recently purchased a bunch of LED bulbs that were marked as dimmable, we hired an electrician to mount 4 of them up high in our stairwell and we were disappointed that they did not work. The electrician blamed the bulbs but when I showed him the other LED bulb that was working downstairs on a Maestro dimmer he tried leaving one regular bulb in the circuit and the LED's now worked perfectly! Can anyone comment on this? I wonder if there is any danger in mixing the LED's and halogen bulbs on the same switch?
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Beancounter View Post

I just came across this thread while researching an IR dimmer switch for the LED lights in my harmony touch controlled HTR. I recently purchased a bunch of LED bulbs that were marked as dimmable, we hired an electrician to mount 4 of them up high in our stairwell and we were disappointed that they did not work. The electrician blamed the bulbs but when I showed him the other LED bulb that was working downstairs on a Maestro dimmer he tried leaving one regular bulb in the circuit and the LED's now worked perfectly! Can anyone comment on this? I wonder if there is any danger in mixing the LED's and halogen bulbs on the same switch?

No danger. It works this way because the dimmer requires a minimum wattage load (I forget off the top of my head) to work properly.

Update:

These dimmers require a 40 watt combined load minimum. 4 LEDs are likely less that 40 watts combined load. The LED cans I have, are 9.5 watts each, for a total of 38 watts when using 4. My dimmer does not work with them.
Edited by dharel - 10/23/13 at 3:13pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharel View Post

No danger. It works this way because the dimmer requires a minimum wattage load (I forget off the top of my head) to work properly.

Update:

These dimmers require a 40 watt combined load minimum. 4 LEDs are likely less that 40 watts combined load. The LED cans I have, are 9.5 watts each, for a total of 38 watts when using 4. My dimmer does not work with them.

Fantastic, thank you for this information. I always worry about unintended consequences and I'm relieved to understand the "why" in this case.
post #16 of 27
I installed high hats through my house and have them in my basement where the theater is set up. I spent about 100 bucks on 6 LED dimmable floods for my Kitchen. They are the ones getting the most use. This is where I feel we are getting so caught up in the marketing. Yes they dont burn nearly as hot or even warm. However, based on the package, my yearly cost savings estimated use of 3hrs/day is $1.14. Each bulb was just over $15. So after 13 years I will have paid off the bulb on savings. That turnaround is no where near what I am looking for.
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espnetboy3 View Post

I installed high hats through my house and have them in my basement where the theater is set up. I spent about 100 bucks on 6 LED dimmable floods for my Kitchen. They are the ones getting the most use. This is where I feel we are getting so caught up in the marketing. Yes they dont burn nearly as hot or even warm. However, based on the package, my yearly cost savings estimated use of 3hrs/day is $1.14. Each bulb was just over $15. So after 13 years I will have paid off the bulb on savings. That turnaround is no where near what I am looking for.

Doesn't seem like you factored in the cost of replacing the alternative non LED bulbs. At 3 hours per day you are getting 2 years usage out of a conventional halogen or incandescent bulbs. Factoring this in reduces your payback period substantially.
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espnetboy3 View Post

I installed high hats through my house and have them in my basement where the theater is set up. I spent about 100 bucks on 6 LED dimmable floods for my Kitchen. They are the ones getting the most use. This is where I feel we are getting so caught up in the marketing. Yes they dont burn nearly as hot or even warm. However, based on the package, my yearly cost savings estimated use of 3hrs/day is $1.14. Each bulb was just over $15. So after 13 years I will have paid off the bulb on savings. That turnaround is no where near what I am looking for.
Last time I looked the only way you get 13 years from an incandescent bulb is to leave it in its box on the shelf...And at three hours a day you should get about twice that from the LED.
post #19 of 27
Those are very good points. Also did some research and the average they use for kWh is $0.11 . I live in NY and ours is over $0.18 . That alone is a 63% increase. I guess I made the right decisions. This stuff can just drive you crazy.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espnetboy3 View Post

Those are very good points. Also did some research and the average they use for kWh is $0.11 . I live in NY and ours is over $0.18 . That alone is a 63% increase. I guess I made the right decisions. This stuff can just drive you crazy.

The other advantage is not having to get on a ladder to replace the bulbs. The only reason I see for holding back on going to LEDs is that the technology is still relatively new and we could still see improvements, especially in how these bulbs interact with dimmers and their general color. I find that even the "warm white" variations are still quite a bit more blue than the halogen bulbs I'm used to.
post #21 of 27
GTA, the philips bulbs are pretty solid at 2,700 kelvins. When fully on I cannot tell a difference. The only time I can is when dimmed low, they come off more pure white. Still instead of burning up 500 watts in a room I am burning 65 collectively smile.gif .

I purchased two more CREE LED (home depot private label) for drop lights and they look good as well. Have gotten some rave reviews for price point vs quality.
post #22 of 27
I swear by the CREE LED bulbs I bought this year at Home Depot! And I have successfully used them with the Lutron Maestro IR dimmer.

I used to have the EcoSmart bulbs and they had issues with a Lutron Skylark dimmer that was meant for LED bulbs. Worse they started to burn out prematurely 1 by 1. Apparently the ballasts on these were real cheap and kept burning out.

I went to Home Depot to find replacement and I noticed these bulbs and the packaging stated they would work with incandescent dimmers. I was skeptical, but I purchased a few to try in my rental unit. They worked like a charm. Then I purchased a few more to try in my HTR with the Lutron Maestro. No problems after a couple of months.

You do want to pay attention to how many bulbs you have on a switch. You do need a minimum wattage for the switch to function properly. This information is on CREE's website. FYI each BR30 bulb is 9.5 watts.

So, if you are looking for an IR dimmer switch, Lutron Maestro and these CREE bulbs are the way to go. Also, if you are looking for a 3-way switch (2 switches for same set of lights) then the Maestro is the ONLY one I found that provides this in an IR dimmer.
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCaveFan View Post

I swear by the CREE LED bulbs I bought this year at Home Depot! And I have successfully used them with the Lutron Maestro IR dimmer.

I used to have the EcoSmart bulbs and they had issues with a Lutron Skylark dimmer that was meant for LED bulbs. Worse they started to burn out prematurely 1 by 1. Apparently the ballasts on these were real cheap and kept burning out.

I went to Home Depot to find replacement and I noticed these bulbs and the packaging stated they would work with incandescent dimmers. I was skeptical, but I purchased a few to try in my rental unit. They worked like a charm. Then I purchased a few more to try in my HTR with the Lutron Maestro. No problems after a couple of months.

You do want to pay attention to how many bulbs you have on a switch. You do need a minimum wattage for the switch to function properly. This information is on CREE's website. FYI each BR30 bulb is 9.5 watts.

So, if you are looking for an IR dimmer switch, Lutron Maestro and these CREE bulbs are the way to go. Also, if you are looking for a 3-way switch (2 switches for same set of lights) then the Maestro is the ONLY one I found that provides this in an IR dimmer.

seems like it's more about have enough bulbs than the right bulbs.

i got some cheapo LED's off amazon and they work with my maestro IR dimmer IF i keep one halogen in there. i suspect if i added enough bulbs to hit 40w or whatever is necessary for the switch it would work as well.
post #24 of 27
Actually Cree isn't just a Home Depot 'house brand'. They are the company that virtually invented high output LEDs. They made the LED flashlight practical. I highly recommend them.
Edited by olyteddy - 12/19/13 at 11:45am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Driver View Post

I'm looking for a remote controlled dimmer that will work with dimmable LED's and my Harmony 650. I thought I had found one in the Lutron MIR600-THW, but the website says it won't dim LEDs. Anyone have an idea?

For anyone interested in using any type of dimmable LED with their Maestro IR remote dimmer get an LED driver to install between the switch and lights.

It will handle the standard 120/240v and convert the output to 12dc power to efficiently run your LEDs so they aren't overloaded with excess power that will kill the lights life. It will also make sure enough power is relayed back to the switch so it will work like it's powering a normal bulb. You can find them online and ebay and they're not terribly expensive. Most local stores don't seem to keep them in stock but are available through their website.

Enjoy!
post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmleese View Post

For anyone interested in using any type of dimmable LED with their Maestro IR remote dimmer get an LED driver to install between the switch and lights.

It will handle the standard 120/240v and convert the output to 12dc power to efficiently run your LEDs so they aren't overloaded with excess power that will kill the lights life. It will also make sure enough power is relayed back to the switch so it will work like it's powering a normal bulb. You can find them online and ebay and they're not terribly expensive. Most local stores don't seem to keep them in stock but are available through their website.

Enjoy!

Thanks, just wish I had thought of that before I had everything wired and dry walled in. Not sure how easy that would be to add as an after thought.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmleese View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Driver View Post

I'm looking for a remote controlled dimmer that will work with dimmable LED's and my Harmony 650. I thought I had found one in the Lutron MIR600-THW, but the website says it won't dim LEDs. Anyone have an idea?

For anyone interested in using any type of dimmable LED with their Maestro IR remote dimmer get an LED driver to install between the switch and lights.

It will handle the standard 120/240v and convert the output to 12dc power to efficiently run your LEDs so they aren't overloaded with excess power that will kill the lights life. It will also make sure enough power is relayed back to the switch so it will work like it's powering a normal bulb. You can find them online and ebay and they're not terribly expensive. Most local stores don't seem to keep them in stock but are available through their website.

Enjoy!
That's fine if you are driving bulk LED strips or perhaps the 12 volt MR16 bulbs but 12 volts ain't going to light any of the edison based bulbs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Theater Room Items & Accessories › Remote control dimmer for LED's