or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Silver Linings Playbook
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Silver Linings Playbook

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
...April 30th 2013!

at last a release date!! cool.gif


"A former high school history teacher gets out of a mental hospital and is placed in the care of his mother. His goal is to win back his ex wife. But he winds up in a romance with a kooky neighbor who also has mental problems."




This movie was easily one of my favorites last year, and Jennifer Lawrence winning Best Actress for this was entirely deserved. Strong performances from everyone, specially DeNiro, Cooper and of course Lawrence. A true little gem with amazing legs in theaters. I can't wait to see it again.

Special Features will include:
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Silver Linings Playbook: The Movie That Became A Movement
  • Dance Rehearsal
  • Going Steadicam With Bradley Cooper
  • Learn To Dance Like Pat & Tiffany
  • Q&A Highlights

Edited by Morpheo - 3/21/13 at 9:08am
post #2 of 36
Jennifer is probably wishing she hadn't worn a giant bed comforter to the Oscars as she tripped and did a face plant while going up to accept her award, though she still looks good in anything.. and graceful even in falling!

But kudos on her win. biggrin.gif

I'll definitely rent this as I missed it in theaters.
Edited by Dan Hitchman - 2/25/13 at 9:07am
post #3 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Jennifer is probably wishing she hadn't worn a giant bed comforter to the Oscars as she tripped and did a face plant while going up to accept her award, though she still looks good in anything.. and graceful even in falling!
Yeah, she did a nice recovery...tongue.gif
post #4 of 36
I loved this movie! I am totally getting it when it comes out on Blu Ray. Great performances by Cooper and Lawrence.
post #5 of 36
who woulda thunk brad cooper could act?
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

...April 30th 2013! at last a release date!! cool.gif

What is the release date? Amazon has gone from 5/2 to don't know.
post #7 of 36
Thread Starter 
"In an early announcement to retailers, Starz/Anchor Bay is preparing 'Silver Linings Playbook' for Blu-ray on April 30."

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Silver_Linings_Playbook_Blu-ray_Dated/11194

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Silver-Linings-Playbook-Blu-ray/60440/








....I wouldn't have mentioned a date otherwise. I've been waiting for this announcement since I walked out the theater last december...
post #8 of 36
^Have you seen it?
post #9 of 36
I have seen it 2X.
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

I have seen it 2X.
Not yet, will wait for the BD...wink.gif
post #11 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

^Have you seen it?

Of course I have... Oh wait, I think "walk out" wasn't the right word lol. Tssss....... french guys...
...I just meant since I exited from the theater. wink.gif
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Of course I have... Oh wait, I think "walk out" wasn't the right word lol. Tssss....... french guys...
...I just meant since I exited from the theater. wink.gif
I know what you mean, and it's why I no longer use Croatian.tongue.gif
post #13 of 36
Pretty good flick. Fine performances all around and good to see De Niro in something that isn't terrible for a change. But, is it just me or did it totally go off the rails during the last third or so?
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Pretty good flick. Fine performances all around and good to see De Niro in something that isn't terrible for a change. But, is it just me or did it totally go off the rails during the last third or so?

well that is really the one thing that people have criticized about silver linings. without spoilers, it did pretty intensely delve into the mental health issues of the characters, but how do you end a movie like that?


it bothered me a little at first, but the damn thing was so enjoyable i really don't care.
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

well that is really the one thing that people have criticized about silver linings. without spoilers, it did pretty intensely delve into the mental health issues of the characters, but how do you end a movie like that?

Perhaps if the mental health issues the characters dealt with were more serious, it would have seemed less plausible to me. But these were ordinary people with relatively common, less intense mental health problems. Not to minimize it, as I know people who are bipolar and how difficult they can be, but these characters weren't paranoid schizophrenics or homicidal lunatics. They had treatable conditions. I think the optimistic ending was earned.
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by batutta View Post

Perhaps if the mental health issues the characters dealt with were more serious, it would have seemed less plausible to me. But these were ordinary people with relatively common, less intense mental health problems. Not to minimize it, as I know people who are bipolar and how difficult they can be, but these characters weren't paranoid schizophrenics or homicidal lunatics. They had treatable conditions. I think the optimistic ending was earned.


No argument here. I found this flick to be the most fun I've had at the cinema since little miss sunshine.
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Pretty good flick. Fine performances all around and good to see De Niro in something that isn't terrible for a change. But, is it just me or did it totally go off the rails during the last third or so?

Just you.

I loved this movie and really think it should have received the Oscar rather than Argo, which I thought was good but not exceptional.
post #18 of 36
Thread Starter 
*updated with official cover art and special features.
post #19 of 36
I suppose one could criticize this for not treating mental illness with sufficient gravitas (and believe me, I have been there myself). Frequently it is no laughing matter. But sometimes it actually is.

I look upon Silver Linings Playbook as a romcom with mental illness as a factor in several of the leads. As such, I thought it worked splendidly, and I thought everybody deserved their Oscar nominations. And I haven't seen DeNiro this good in quite some time.
post #20 of 36
i thought zero dark was the best movie from last year.

i also think silver linings is a better film than argo.



just saw silver linings passed life of pi in domestic gross.

it could top argo over the next few weeks
post #21 of 36
Still disagree.

Zero Dark was OK, but unlike SLP or even Argo I found myself checking my watch a few times during a theatrical screening, never a good sign for me.
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

i thought zero dark was the best movie from last year.

i also think silver linings is a better film than argo.

just saw silver linings passed life of pi in domestic gross.

it could top argo over the next few weeks

I loved Zero Dark Thirty. My BD of the film came recently and after seeing it again I loved it even more. That said, I realized the (grossly unfair) criticism it received from wing nuts on both the left and right effectively eliminated any chance it might otherwise have had for the Best Picture Oscar. I loved Argo too and was really happy to see it win the Best Picture Oscar. I admit, however, that the reason for much of my joy was owed to the black eye Argo's win gave the Academy's Directors wing, which had scandalously failed to nominate Ben Affleck for a Best Director Oscar. Anyway, I thought that Silver Linings Playbook was in the top rank of the remarkably large number of extraordinarily good films released in 2012.

As you might have already inferred, I loved every minute of Silver Linings Playbook. I recently read the novel of the same name by Matthew Quick. I was amazed at how much of Quick's characters David O. Russell's screenplay and his marvelous ensemble cast put on the screen. Amazingly, Jennifer Lawrence's character, Tiffany, who is several years younger than Pat in the film, is several years older in the book. No matter she is the same wonderfully funny, quirky, and strong girl on the screen as she was in Quick's novel. De Niro, as Pat Sr, and Jacki Weaver, as Pat's loving mother, Dolores, were equally wonderful

Every performance in Silver Linings Playbook was wonderful and as long as Jessica Chastain couldn't win Best Actress, for the same reason Zero Dark Thirty couldn't win Best Picture, I was more than delighted that Jennifer Lawrence won Best Actress. She is a powerhouse actress, the best of the young crop.

After I saw Silver Linings Playbook in the theater, I gave it an IMDb rating of 8 Stars out of 10. Now that I have read the book, though, I have upped my rating to 9 Stars out of 10. Highly recommended! By the way, if nobody has said so yet, the Amazon page for the Silver Linings Playbook BD says it will be released on April 30.
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I loved Zero Dark Thirty. My BD of the film came recently and after seeing it again I loved it even more. That said, I realized the (grossly unfair) criticism it received from wing nuts on both the left and right effectively eliminated any chance it might otherwise have had for the Best Picture Oscar. I loved Argo too and was really happy to see it win the Best Picture Oscar. I admit, however, that the reason for much of my joy was owed to the black eye Argo's win gave the Academy's Directors wing, which had scandalously failed to nominate Ben Affleck for a Best Director Oscar. Anyway, I thought that Silver Linings Playbook was in the top rank of the remarkably large number of extraordinarily good films released in 2012.

As you might have already inferred, I loved every minute of Silver Linings Playbook. I recently read the novel of the same name by Matthew Quick. I was amazed at how much of Quick's characters David O. Russell's screenplay and his marvelous ensemble cast put on the screen. Amazingly, Jennifer Lawrence's character, Tiffany, who is several years younger than Pat in the film, is several years older in the book. No matter she is the same wonderfully funny, quirky, and strong girl on the screen as she was in Quick's novel. De Niro, as Pat Sr, and Jacki Weaver, as Pat's loving mother, Dolores, were equally wonderful

Every performance in Silver Linings Playbook was wonderful and as long as Jessica Chastain couldn't win Best Actress, for the same reason Zero Dark Thirty couldn't win Best Picture, I was more than delighted that Jennifer Lawrence won Best Actress. She is a powerhouse actress, the best of the young crop.

After I saw Silver Linings Playbook in the theater, I gave it an IMDb rating of 8 Stars out of 10. Now that I have read the book, though, I have upped my rating to 9 Stars out of 10. Highly recommended! By the way, if nobody has said so yet, the Amazon page for the Silver Linings Playbook BD says it will be released on April 30.


we share similar tastes. my take on argo, silver linings, and zero pretty much mirror yours.

thanks to your suggestion i will add slp to my reading list.

just watched the fighter for the first time as i am making a point to see as many david o russell films i can

my goodness, he must be the best actor's director in the biz. the performances he draws out of the actors in both films is really extraordinary. christian bale, brad cooper, even de niro really
engross you in their characters. both films are absolutely superb.

i actually would have given the best director award this year to russell. i thought his direction in slp was the finest of all the plethora of excellent films we were spoiled with last year..
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

we share similar tastes. my take on argo, silver linings, and zero pretty much mirror yours.

thanks to your suggestion i will add slp to my reading list.

just watched the fighter for the first time as i am making a point to see as many david o russell films i can

my goodness, he must be the best actor's director in the biz. the performances he draws out of the actors in both films is really extraordinary. christian bale, brad cooper, even de niro really
engross you in their characters. both films are absolutely superb.

i actually would have given the best director award this year to russell. i thought his direction in slp was the finest of all the plethora of excellent films we were spoiled with last year..

Russell does great work. Now that I have finished reading Quick's novel, I think even more highly of Russell's screenplay than I had before, which is to say very highly indeed! I give Quick full marks for having created his fascinatingly quirky but appealing characters, but I believe the tweaks Russell made to Quick's novel for the screenplay improved the story. Despite the changes he made, Russell's screenplay remained entirely true to Quick's characters. Thanks to Russell's brilliant screenplay and the uniformly outstanding performances of his ensemble cast, I think the film was better than the book. Needless to say I haven't seen many examples of that. I hadn't originally planned to buy the Silver Linings Playbook BD but am now seriously considering doing so.

Let me add a word about De Niro's performance as Pat Sr. In Quick's novel, Pat Sr. seemed to me to be far more a sh*t than a lovable curmudgeon but, somehow, Russell and De Niro combined to made the guy weirdly charming.

I loved The fighter too. Russell certainly knows how to get the most out of his actors. Christian Bale's Oscar winning performance was the best thing he has done in his distinguished career. I thought Melissa Leo, as the boys' awful mother, and the Oscar nominated Amy Adams, as Micky's lover, were wonderful too.

EDIT: Just saw that Melissa Leo wasn't just nominated, she won the Oscar for her performance in The fighter.
Edited by gwsat - 4/5/13 at 9:38am
post #25 of 36
yep 2 acting oscars for the fighter and one for slp.

arguably de niro should have won this year
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

arguably de niro should have won this year

De Niro's performance as Pat Sr. was certainly Oscar worthy but I was really happy to see Christoph Waltz win another Oscar for his terrific performance as the lethal Dr. King Schultz in Django Unchained. There were as many great supporting actor performances in 2012 as there were great films. For example, in addition to De Niro, Tommy Lee Jones was passed over for his marvelous performance as Thaddeus Stevens in Lincoln, as were Philip Seymour Hoffman for The Master, and Alan Arkin for Argo. That was a powerhouse lineup because every nominee had previously won an Oscar.
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

yep 2 acting oscars for the fighter and one for slp.

arguably de niro should have won this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

De Niro's performance as Pat Sr. was certainly Oscar worthy

Maybe it's just me, but I hardly agree. Throw his name out of his performance, and it's not much. Not that he acted poorly, but he wasn't any sort of standout. He maybe had two great scenes.

... though the real head-scratcher was the mother being nominated.
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post


Maybe it's just me, but I hardly agree. Throw his name out of his performance, and it's not much. Not that he acted poorly, but he wasn't any sort of standout. He maybe had two great scenes.

... though the real head-scratcher was the mother being nominated.

LIke you, Jacki Weaver's Oscar nomination for her performance as Dolores surprised me. I really liked De Nero, though. Pat Sr. could have come across as just a meanspirited old man. I thought De Niro's performance showed us Pat Sr.'s humanity. He was tortured by his son's emotional problems but lacked the capacity to discuss them frankly and had anger management issues but still loved his family. Of course, who wouldn't love Dolores.smile.gif
post #29 of 36
i thought it was de niro's best performance in years and certainly oscar worthy.

it was really quite a nuanced role and as gwsat states, the movie doesn't work with a lesser perfomance in that role.
post #30 of 36
Anyone pick this up yet?

If its a good transfer I may pick this up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Silver Linings Playbook