or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Tired of satelite.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tired of satelite.....

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I'm looking to "cut the cable" so to speak. I'm spending a ton for Dish and I'm looking at what my options are.
If I just keep my DSL and get an antenna to pick up my locals, what DVR is the best for the money?
Also looking at Roku as well.

Any and all suggestion welcome PLEASE!
post #2 of 9
How well OTA TV will serve your needs depends on where you live and which programs you watch. You won't have access to cable-exclusive programs anymore, unless they happen to be available on the network's website (which seems to be becoming more common). It would help for us to know your location, since we can't tell how many channels you'll receive without knowing which market you're in.

As for a DVR, keep in mind that most OTA DVRs don't work the same way as cable ones do. They don't make name-based recordings and find your programs for you: you either click on the guide to set a timer to record that timeslot, or you set up a manual timer, the way you would with a VCR. You'll record whatever is broadcast during that timeslot, so if your program gets moved at the last minute, you'll miss it. OTA guide data is also determined on a station-by-station basis, so how much program information you see and how complete it is will vary by network. The main DVR options still available are:

CM 7000
CM 7400
TViX 6620
PHD-VRX
TiVo

Of these, only the CM 7400 and TiVo support paid guides that will let you continue to do name-based recording, but current TiVos no longer have OTA tuners, so you can't use the latest model with an antenna.

The other models have their own quirks and bugs, some worse than others. It would help us to make recommendations if we knew some of your priorities.
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

How well OTA TV will serve your needs depends on where you live and which programs you watch. You won't have access to cable-exclusive programs anymore, unless they happen to be available on the network's website (which seems to be becoming more common). It would help for us to know your location, since we can't tell how many channels you'll receive without knowing which market you're in.

As for a DVR, keep in mind that most OTA DVRs don't work the same way as cable ones do. They don't make name-based recordings and find your programs for you: you either click on the guide to set a timer to record that timeslot, or you set up a manual timer, the way you would with a VCR. You'll record whatever is broadcast during that timeslot, so if your program gets moved at the last minute, you'll miss it. OTA guide data is also determined on a station-by-station basis, so how much program information you see and how complete it is will vary by network. The main DVR options still available are:

CM 7000
CM 7400
TViX 6620
PHD-VRX
TiVo

Of these, only the CM 7400 and TiVo support paid guides that will let you continue to do name-based recording, but current TiVos no longer have OTA tuners, so you can't use the latest model with an antenna.

The other models have their own quirks and bugs, some worse than others. It would help us to make recommendations if we knew some of your priorities.

Actually, the Tivo Premiere does have OTA tuners. I cut the cord over a year ago and couldn't be happier. The others just had too many bugs and were expensive right out of the box. I bought two and went with the monthly fee for the guide because I couldn't afford the lifetime cost. I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime. And also Playon. I have a PS3 that gets all the above plus Crackle. I purchased Playon several years ago when it was real cheap. You might want to get it a try.
post #4 of 9

Best bet is TiVo with Lifetime (if you decide to punt its resell value is very high). The cheapest (in many cases) and perhaps the best might be WMC. The link in my signature will give you further details.

post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonedan View Post

Actually, the Tivo Premiere does have OTA tuners.

If I'm not mistaken, the latest Premiere Elite models only work with pay TV. Only the original Premiere and Premiere XLs can do OTA. The TC just needs to be careful which model he purchases if he goes the TiVo route.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

If I'm not mistaken, the latest Premiere Elite models only work with pay TV. Only the original Premiere and Premiere XLs can do OTA. The TC just needs to be careful which model he purchases if he goes the TiVo route.
The current models are the:
Premier (2 x tuners - OTA and/or Cable)
Premier 4 (4 x tuners - Cable only)
Premier 4XL (4 x tuners + 1 TB HDD - Cable only)
Edited by Kelson - 2/27/13 at 6:55am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

The current models are the:
Premier (2xOTA + 2xCable)
Premier 4 (4xCable)
Premier 4XL (4xCable + 1TB HDD)
Just to clarify, the basic Premier only has 2 tuners which can do either OTA(ATSC) or Cable(QAM) not sure but I'd think they may also do analog......
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Just to clarify, the basic Premier only has 2 tuners which can do either OTA(ATSC) or Cable(QAM) not sure but I'd think they may also do analog......

Adding to the clarification, the Premiere XL is still readily available brand new even though TiVo ended production of it. It's same as Premiere but with larger HDD (1TB) and fancier remote.

The OP could also consider a used TiVo series 3 with lifetime. Seems there is a never-ending supply of them on eBay in the $350 range.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Just to clarify, the basic Premier only has 2 tuners which can do either OTA(ATSC) or Cable(QAM) not sure but I'd think they may also do analog......
Thanks, I realize my post was unclear. I edited it to make it more specific.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Tired of satelite.....