or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › How are Best Buy's Geek Squad ISI calibrations?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How are Best Buy's Geek Squad ISI calibrations? - Page 3

post #61 of 75
I was not satisfied with my best buy free ISF calibration on my Elite 70".

The guy showed up with no RS232 cable. Could not unlock ISF Modes! Didn't even do a 10 point color calibration!

I had Kevin Miller come do mine and now it looks great. As good as my tv can look smile.gif


I really think with BB it is luck of the draw...

-Evangelo2
post #62 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeworkstoohard View Post

I have had very good results with disc calibration.

$20 disc < $400 calibration, but twenty times better?

That said, my $300 citizen diver is a more rugged watch than my $6k datejust...

Our calibrations do not cost $400. Also, of course it's not twenty times better. That's not really a fair comparison IMO. You also have to figure in the value of your time and the fact that many people, believe it or not, aren't comfortable working their way through the disc. An actual calibration is better though. Whether or not it's worth the money is more of a personal question.
post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Our calibrations do not cost $400. Also, of course it's not twenty times better. That's not really a fair comparison IMO. You also have to figure in the value of your time and the fact that many people, believe it or not, aren't comfortable working their way through the disc. An actual calibration is better though. Whether or not it's worth the money is more of a personal question.

I dont disagree with any of that ,my point is that anyone expecting their tv to be a world better after calibration is unrealistic .

And, honestly,most of them are just wanting their Samsung lcd to be brighter anyway .
post #64 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeworkstoohard View Post

And, honestly,most of them are just wanting their Samsung lcd to be brighter anyway .

eek.gif I am still laughing at this! Because it is kind of true...
post #65 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeworkstoohard View Post

I dont disagree with any of that ,my point is that anyone expecting their tv to be a world better after calibration is unrealistic .

And, honestly,most of them are just wanting their Samsung lcd to be brighter anyway .

however, don't forget that most ISF thread's end up being "oh my goodness!!! I calibrated my display and it looks AMAZING!!!!!!, anyone who doesn't have their display ISF calibrated obviously has NOOOOOOOOOOOO idea what they're missing". I see this on about every forum I go to so you can see why noobs would have high expectations when they're shelling out hundreds of dollars for a $700 tv
post #66 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

eek.gif I am still laughing at this! Because it is kind of true...

Or their Sharp to be more yellow...
post #67 of 75
Thread Starter 
Alright well I had my calibration a week or 2 ago. Frankly, the picture is too dark and seems almost out of focus. I'm no expert but I think the brightness and sharpness are way off. The picture always seems to be a bit blurry, and I'm watching The Dark Knight Rises right now and the picture is so dark you can't make out things like hands or the fact that Selina's mask at the ball is lace. The settings are also locked so I cannot adjust them. Any suggestions?
post #68 of 75
my 11yr old daughter, with the same gear probably could do a better job.biggrin.gif
post #69 of 75
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

my 11yr old daughter, with the same gear probably could do a better job.biggrin.gif

Well the overall colors do look better...

When I can see them and they are in focus...

Like I said, I'm watching TDKR and I can't see a thing. There is so much picture information that is not conveyed on the settings it's kind of ridiculous. I'm sure If I call up Best Buy they will send out another tech and redo it for redundancy's sake, but my original question still stands - How good are Best Buy's ISF staff?

The guy was very nice, but he wouldn't do anything to calibrate the 3D or Clear Motion settings.I didn't much like that. Also the dimming is out of control and the Magnolia manager said it wasn't right so I swapped TVs and the new one still did the same thing. The Geek Squad ISF guy seemed perplexed and said it must be normal.


I've always used a PS3 for Blu-ray but I hooked up a Samsung BD-ES6000 and it allowed me some settings and I chose user and set the brightness to 3 so now at least I can see some picture and I set the sharpness to 10 and everything still looks blurry

Need a little help
post #70 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinCa316 View Post

Well the overall colors do look better...

When I can see them and they are in focus...

Like I said, I'm watching TDKR and I can't see a thing. There is so much picture information that is not conveyed on the settings it's kind of ridiculous. I'm sure If I call up Best Buy they will send out another tech and redo it for redundancy's sake, but my original question still stands - How good are Best Buy's ISF staff?

The guy was very nice, but he wouldn't do anything to calibrate the 3D or Clear Motion settings.I didn't much like that. Also the dimming is out of control and the Magnolia manager said it wasn't right so I swapped TVs and the new one still did the same thing. The Geek Squad ISF guy seemed perplexed and said it must be normal.


I've always used a PS3 for Blu-ray but I hooked up a Samsung BD-ES6000 and it allowed me some settings and I chose user and set the brightness to 3 so now at least I can see some picture and I set the sharpness to 10 and everything still looks blurry

Need a little help

Call them and have them send out another agent. Let the guy know when he gets there what you don't like about the picture. Also, 3D calibration is supposed to be included. If he tells you otherwise, send him back and ask for a refund.
post #71 of 75
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Call them and have them send out another agent. Let the guy know when he gets there what you don't like about the picture. Also, 3D calibration is supposed to be included. If he tells you otherwise, send him back and ask for a refund.

It was a free ISF calibration because I'm a Silver Reward Zone member, but I thought a 3D calibration was in order because I don't know how to do that and I thought that's what they were for.

I'll be scheduling a new appointment.

If that Geek Squad account wants to chime in here, I'm all ears
post #72 of 75
Well, went to Best Buy here in San Diego and it was the worst demo I have ever seen. They had the VT 60 up on a big wall, way up, along with at least 16 other screens. The man in the department supposedly demonstrating the set did not have much knowledge about it nor did the other rep in the same dept. I asked if anyone knew much about the set and he said, 'It's so new we haven't had time to learn it.'. I took the remote, which was pretty nice and had a back light on it, and went through most of the menus. They were nicely organized and fairly intuitive. I asked about the calibration feature and he brought out his cell phone and showed me some of the things in it. However, I write articles and edit film from home so I am the last living American not to own a cell phone. (At least I have an iPod 3). At any rate, he knew of no way to do the calibration and I doubt he knew what he was looking at. When he played with it, he made the picture so much worse that he had to go to 'reset' to get it back to normal. I saw no way to go to the calibration from within the VT's remote but maybe it was there. I played with the different modes from the remote but from my horrible viewing position, I couldn't properly view them. Back in the day, late 70's, when I sold hi end audio gear, we always made it a real point to learn everything we could about a piece of equipment but these BB folk are like any big box store, for the most part, most ignorant. At any rate, I will wait for the ZT to come out in June and then do a comparison if that will even be possible. What a frustrating waste of time that was.

That so many had a good experience with the calibrators, it shows that they are very much different departments, one with training and other without.
post #73 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Got it, and I hope it happens for you.

Downside possibility:
1. October 2011 - I notified Mitsubishi that the A94 LaserVue 2 point grayscale controls did not work properly - fixed via firmware in two months
2. Spring 2012 - several of us notified Panasonic that the VT50 Color Management System luminance controls did not work - fixed via FW in two months
3. September, 2011 - Sharp notified that the color tracking on the Elite was next to useless - Sharp said it would be fixed within a month - still waiting

The Elite tracking issue, however, is totally different than controls not working so hopefully you'll be okay.

Keep us informed please.

So, a year later and I never heard back from Sharp or Geek Squad regarding this issue. I also had another issue with the optical audio out not working that I opened a ticket with Sharp, and they simply told me it was not something they were going to resolve. I lost faith in Sharp. Luckily, all of the LED's on the bottom of my screen went out a few weeks ago. Thanks to Best Buy's protection plan, they allowed me to exchange the bad Sharp and upgrade to the Sony KDL-70R550A (cost me an extra $900 at time of exchange). There is no way I will ever buy another Sharp, nor can I recommend one to anyone. Clearly they are junk, as the LED's burned out in 1 year. Their support is horrible.

Anyways I'm happy with the new Sony, the picture is superior to the Sharp, and firmware /software updates are automatically downloaded and installed. Plus it's 3D and network connected. I will be getting a Geek Squad calibration on this TV once I get some more hours on it (does that really matter?). I'm hoping the Geek Squad agent on here will chime in that this TV is capable of an ISF calibration? I'll let you all know the results once I get the calibration.
post #74 of 75
BB calibrations are hit and miss, more miss than hits based on the reports here. I'd seriously look into other calibration options other than BB.
post #75 of 75

I've been doing my own grayscale adjustments on CRT sets since the late 1980's and more recently full calibrations on digital sets. If you know the BBY SKU and have the full calibration service is there a way to request their best agent to come out and do the work? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › How are Best Buy's Geek Squad ISI calibrations?