or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › How big is the difference between modern LCD and plasma really?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How big is the difference between modern LCD and plasma really?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hi.
I was at large showroom today with my cousin. We checked out the sony KDL-55HX850 and the Panasonic TX-P55st50.

The salesman allowed me to adjust the picture settings and use my own standard DVDs. I used Star Trek 2 and the final Harry Potter film.

Anyway, I was surprised at how far LCD has come, it looked really good. The plasma did not really get a chance to shine in such a bright showroom.

What confused me was the 55HX850, it seemed to do a much better job at the DVDs. There was horrible jaggies on the TX-P55st50, but that could have been the blu-ray players fault.

My Question is, how big is the difference between modern LCD and plasma really?
Both TVs had great blacks, good shadow detail, punchy colors and handled motion well.

The salesman seemed to be biased in favor of the KDL-55HX850 (ex-display) even though the TX-P55st50 was more expensive.

I suffer from OCD and my cousin is worried that I'll obsess about plasma screen burn. I'm also a heavy gamer.
I really liked the TX-P55st50 but KDL-55HX850 seems like a safer choice, but will I be missing out?

Most of my DVDs are SD and I sit 10 feet away in a dim lamp lit room.

I'd be most grateful for any advice please.
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi55 View Post

Hi.
I was at large showroom today with my cousin. We checked out the sony KDL-55HX850 and the Panasonic TX-P55st50.

The salesman allowed me to adjust the picture settings and use my own standard DVDs. I used Star Trek 2 and the final Harry Potter film.

Anyway, I was surprised at how far LCD has come, it looked really good. The plasma did not really get a chance to shine in such a bright showroom.

What confused me was the 55HX850, it seemed to do a much better job at the DVDs. There was horrible jaggies on the TX-P55st50, but that could have been the blu-ray players fault.

My Question is, how big is the difference between modern LCD and plasma really?
Both TVs had great blacks, good shadow detail, punchy colors and handled motion well.

The salesman seemed to be biased in favor of the KDL-55HX850 (ex-display) even though the TX-P55st50 was more expensive.

I suffer from OCD and my cousin is worried that I'll obsess about plasma screen burn. I'm also a heavy gamer.
I really liked the TX-P55st50 but KDL-55HX850 seems like a safer choice, but will I be missing out?

Most of my DVDs are SD and I sit 10 feet away in a dim lamp lit room.

I'd be most grateful for any advice please.

That Sony is an excellent TV, but it's definitely more expensive than the ST50. So I'm confused, what are the two prices exactly? The cheapest I'm seeing that Sony is $2,000 online, and even a 60" GT50 is only $1700 on Amazon. You can still get a 50" ST50 for $950 on Amazon if you price match.
Edited by JSpectre88 - 2/25/13 at 4:16pm
post #3 of 12
I would suggest buying a lower end model for the price as it doesn't seem you will care too much about picture quality with only standard def DVDs. If you're concerned about burn-in then I assume you game for more than 10 hours straight on a regular basis. At that distance (10 feet) a 55 inch is a little on the smaller side so any improvements in picture quality of one to the other will be less noticeable.
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kheovnien View Post

I would suggest buying a lower end model for the price as it doesn't seem you will care too much about picture quality with only standard def DVDs. If you're concerned about burn-in then I assume you game for more than 10 hours straight on a regular basis. At that distance (10 feet) a 55 inch is a little on the smaller side so any improvements in picture quality of one to the other will be less noticeable.

I don't think he meant to imply that he would only watch standard DVD's, but I could be wrong. I assume his games and cable programming must be in HD at least. He probably meant IR and not burn-in, In which case depending on how long you game for, that's a legitimate concern. I wouldn't recommend plasma to anyone who games regularly for longer than 4+ hours. It won't cause permanent damage, but can be extremely frustrating in the early life of the TV. It's generally accepted that the IR will become less of an issue as the set ages however.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hi,
The Sony was ex-display hence the price drop. Most of my DVDs are standard. If I'm playing a really good game like fallout Vegas or bioshock, I can play for up to six hours.

Thanks
post #6 of 12
ST50 looks amazing with quality sources like Bluray - its really tough to tell in a show room - im sure if you were to examine things like black level and shadow detail then the plasma should win out. Maybe even motion handling. For pure PQ the plasma wins - but if youre a heavy gamer then it might not be the best fit, unless you dont mind babysitting the panel.

Im a PC gamer but i do play Xbox for a few hours at a time and i stayed away from gaming for the first 300 hours, and i make sure i run full screen content regularly and scrolling bars immediately after my gaming sessions and inbetween matches.

The IR isnt that bad to be honest, as long as you dont have contrast to 100 and have a white logo in the same spot for more than a couple hours at a time. I'm partial to the plasma obviously but the majority of my gaming is on a 120hz 27" 1440p IPS display.
Edited by jerrolds - 2/26/13 at 7:53am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi55 View Post

What confused me was the 55HX850, it seemed to do a much better job at the DVDs. There was horrible jaggies on the TX-P55st50, but that could have been the blu-ray players fault.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the ST/GT50s handling of SD content. I'm not really sure the best way to tell you to search out those threads since it's a pretty vague criteria, but for your viewing habits that might be reason enough to lean toward the Sony.
post #8 of 12
If are the least bit OCD and game a lot then go with the LCD. Read the ST thread to see why I say this. Sure the IR might not be that bad but most of those complaining about ir/burn in are a bit ocd too, and I said "most". I don't know if there are fewer gamers (fewer who are ocd?) who own the GT but there are fewer complaints about ir/burn in and less reports of it being achieved so easily. Read. wink.gif
post #9 of 12
I just switched from a 4 year old high end Samsung LCD to Panasonic UT50. I immediately noticed the motion blur is gone. On my LCD, I had to turn off motion smoothing, cause even on Low, it had an unpleasant soap opera effect.

The UT50's motion w/ smoothing off is better than the LCD with smoothing on, and there's no soap opera effect. I haven't done enough gaming yet to notice if the motion is better, it should be in theory.

I notice the better black levels too, but frankly it never bothered me on the LCD.
post #10 of 12
^And for me, pitiful black levels and an uneven backlight were the biggest motivations for me to get rid of my 2007 Samsung LCD set and trade up for a Kuro.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrolds View Post

ST50 looks amazing with quality sources like Bluray - its really tough to tell in a show room - im sure if you were to examine things like black level and shadow detail then the plasma should win out. Maybe even motion handling. For pure PQ the plasma wins - but if youre a heavy gamer then it might not be the best fit, unless you dont mind babysitting the panel.

Im a PC gamer but i do play Xbox for a few hours at a time and i stayed away from gaming for the first 300 hours, and i make sure i run full screen content regularly and scrolling bars immediately after my gaming sessions and inbetween matches.

The IR isnt that bad to be honest, as long as you dont have contrast to 100 and have a white logo in the same spot for more than a couple hours at a time. I'm partial to the plasma obviously but the majority of my gaming is on a 120hz 27" 1440p IPS display.

Which 120hz 27" 1440p IPS?

I just ordered the new Asus 144hz VG248QE from Amazon when it was $265 (still backordered), but I keep reading how the colors suck (well they are fine at 60hz, but get worse when you switch to 120hz, and reaaaal bad when you switch to 144hz). Would love a 120hz IPS monitor but I didn't think there really were any?
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

Which 120hz 27" 1440p IPS?

I just ordered the new Asus 144hz VG248QE from Amazon when it was $265 (still backordered), but I keep reading how the colors suck (well they are fine at 60hz, but get worse when you switch to 120hz, and reaaaal bad when you switch to 144hz). Would love a 120hz IPS monitor but I didn't think there really were any?

Overlordcomputer.com may have some in stock, at the very laest they have 120hz capable PCBs that can just drop into Yamasaki Catleaps (the original 120hz 1440p IPS displays were the "2B" Catleaps released last Feb) as of right now there are 8 PCBs in stock. Also 120hz.net sells actual Catleap 2Bs panels. Mine is an Overlord Tempest OC.

So i would find a cheap Catleap for around $330 on eBay, order the PCB for $200 and do a slight mod on it to get some 120hz goodness. Alternatively, if you have a newer Geforce card (670+) - your Asus should look AMAZING for games if you do the "Lightboost" trick http://www.overclock.net/t/1339384/zero-motion-blur-lcd-nvidia-lightboost2-hack-looks-like-crt-looks-like-480hz

Good luck!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › How big is the difference between modern LCD and plasma really?