Originally Posted by UltimateHTPCman
Long time lurker, first time poster and I am looking for advice on the ultimate HTPC. This is the final piece to my theater and it's time I upgraded my current HTPC.
My budget is $25,000 US.
I'd like it to match the rest of my system in terms of quality and capability. I need it to do everything a HTPC should do with extreme excellence. I think I would also like a 4U chassis to fit perfectly into my existing Rack. I have a Silverstone Grandia now, and while it's pretty it's not as functional. I struggle to find a good place for it. I think I'd like to incorporate this theater into my dual server rack or my theater racks. But I am clueless about cases; I need a suggestion for a good one.
Here is what I have my eyes on:
ASRock X79 Extreme11 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
ntel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 150W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73970X
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 Desktop Memory Model CMD64GX3M8A2133C9
SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply
GPU: ( multiple )
PowerColor AX7990 6GBD5-2DHJ Radeon HD 7990 6GB 384-bit x2 GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
SSD: (x8 in RAID0?)
OCZ Vector Series VTR1-25SAT3-512G 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC
HDD: (16 in RAID 0)
Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD1000DHTZ 1TB 10000 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
I would like a 24 bay 4U case but I don't want some crappy metal box like a Norco 4224. I'd like something that is a little bit nicer but the supermicro stuff appears to only come with a PSU. Is that a bad thing ? Anyone have advice on a case?
- What is the best way to set up the Hard drives? I would like 16TB local storage in this machine, and everything would be backed up to my main server so I don't worry about any back up. I was thinking of 2 SATA RAID cards and running the Velociraptors in RAID0. Perhaps two sets of 8 for 8TB each total storage. So my SSD OS would be my C drive. 8TB would be my D drive. And the other 8TB would be my E drive. Make sense? What is a good Sata card?
- I am only going to use 8 Sata ports on the motherboard for the SSD's. Can I use two of Intel X79 SATA3 ports to cache the RAID0 array ? If so, what SSD would make a good cache drive ?
-Is it worth using a ram disk to cache my OS drive or storage drive ? Should I run the system on only 32GB of DDR2133 and use the remaining 32GB for a cache to speed things up.
- Can I fit 4 GPU with this motherboard ? Does it have enough PCI lanes to run x16 by 4 ? This might matter with the case I choose too since I will need clearance for the GPU cards.
- Is 1000watt Seasonic enough PSU ??? Should I get the 1250watt ?
- Am I better off with a PCI x16 SSD card for my OS ? Would that provide better performance ?
-I already own a few HD homerun prime cable card network tuners, what is the maximum number of channels I can record with this proposed build ???
I appreciate your advice and intelligent replies. Thank You.