or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 60

post #1771 of 3984
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcain13 View Post

Considering this tv and i have read through some (most) of this thread but was wondering now that so many have the set how would it compare to others in the field from Sharp, Samsung, or even Panasonic Plasma's?

Earlier I posted how much I love my 50 inch Panny plasma from late 2007. Fantastic television with no problems out of it EVER and a fantastic image. BUT, it heats up a room!

IF I could get a plasma in 70 inches for around the same price and if it did not heat up the room, I'd buy it. But you can't and it does.

 

Take a look at the power consumption.  It's been awhile since I compared the specs, but I remember the stuff from 2007 were horrifyingly power-hungry (read as "make a lot of heat").  In fact, that heat business stayed strong through 2010 I think.  By contrast, the 65" 2012 Pana VT50 I think had an "average" power draw of 150 watts.  Not much to heat a room any more.

post #1772 of 3984
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

Browse the Vizio threads. I posted on the E series thread until I returned my Vizio and got the Sony.

If you have a 73 incher, you will most likely regret going smaller. Like someone said on here before, they've never heard anyone say, "Should have gone smaller".

I put the 50 plasma back on the wall while waiting for the 70 Sony to arrive (replacing the 70 Vizio we had for a month). I was pleased all over again by my 2007 plasma's deep rich image, but at the same time thought, man that's small! lol

I wouldn't get the E series. I was looking at the M series 70 incher. I don't think 3 inches will bother me. The convenience of having a flat panel I can hang is the key.

I have always liked Samsung and Panasonic as far as picture quality.

 

 

You know what's surprising?  Doing some calculations about wall mounting, and a TV on the wall seems substantially smaller to me than when it's 18" in front of the wall on a stand.  Does this pan out in real life, or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

post #1773 of 3984
Can these remotes work with the R550?

RMF-YD001



NSG-MR1

post #1774 of 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Take a look at the power consumption.  It's been awhile since I compared the specs, but I remember the stuff from 2007 were horrifyingly power-hungry (read as "make a lot of heat").  In fact, that heat business stayed strong through 2010 I think.  By contrast, the 65" 2012 Pana VT50 I think had an "average" power draw of 150 watts.  Not much to heat a room any more.

I did not too long ago before my Consumer Reports subscription ended. Their power listings had the plasmas at 2 to 3 times that of LED LCD. While I'm sure the heat of a plasma isn't what it used to be, I'm in a unique situation. ANY heat is unwelcome. I have noticed "some" heat from the 70 inch Sony after it has been on for hours. I have noticed quite a bit of heat from the PS3 Slim after a few hours of streaming.

Again, unique situation. Bedroom is on the south east side of the house. It's Vegas. Bedroom does not get fed enough of the ac by poor design. NO heat is welcome. On that note, either LED or CFL lightbulbs only in this house. Also explains why most windows are boarded up. That and I love a cave.

Now if I were still living in Michigan, HEAT would most definitely be welcome.
post #1775 of 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

I wouldn't get the E series. I was looking at the M series 70 incher. I don't think 3 inches will bother me. The convenience of having a flat panel I can hang is the key.

I have always liked Samsung and Panasonic as far as picture quality.

I don't think 3 inches will bother you much. I was really talking about not going down to a 65.

Vizio: I understand. But my issue with Vizio was not about the features or pq or any extras you can expect with the M series over the E series. My issue was with it "did not do what it said it does". The apps work terribly. The wifi is unreliable at best. The TV would randomly shutdown and make a loud popping sound. And the Vizio owning folks on the thread seem to be fine with it.

It has been discussed on here before so I'll keep it brief. I honestly believe that Vizio has been able to pull the wool over the public's eyes with great customer service and insane prices for features otherwise not available at their prices. But, to each their own. I, for one, am done with Vizio...and Sharp. Tried 'em both over the years as well as several Sony products. The only one I have fond memories of....it's 70 incher is hanging on my wall looking amazing.
post #1776 of 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post


You know what's surprising?  Doing some calculations about wall mounting, and a TV on the wall seems substantially smaller to me than when it's 18" in front of the wall on a stand.  Does this pan out in real life, or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Absolutely. It is why we buy things that hang on the wall that at one time sat on the floor - they take up less "perceived" space - no "perceived" floor space consumed and they tend to be right up on the wall. The higher the smaller they look. Like the Moon on the horizon. Looks huge. Not so when high in the sky.

Off topic: Say, what's the name of our moon? Other planets' moons have names. Hmmmm smile.gif
post #1777 of 3984
There have been many things written over the last 10-15 years regarding the demise of Sony quality. The biggest seems to want to compare the Triniton TV's of yesterday to the current products. I don't doubt that Sony has leaned a bit more towards economic survival and a bit away from absolute product longevity. Even accepting that as fact I still feel that Sony offers the solid foundation of a company offering a quality product across the board. Sharp, Vizio, Samsung, LG, Hitachi, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer. All major players in the TV world over the past 10-15 years. But as mentioned earlier, there is a Sony in my living room, also a 60" Sony in my bedroom. Sony is "the comfort food" of TV's.
post #1778 of 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

Absolutely. It is why we buy things that hang on the wall that at one time sat on the floor - they take up less "perceived" space - no "perceived" floor space consumed and they tend to be right up on the wall. The higher the smaller they look. Like the Moon on the horizon. Looks huge. Not so when high in the sky.

Off topic: Say, what's the name of our moon? Other planets' moons have names. Hmmmm smile.gif
Luna.
post #1779 of 3984
Thread Starter 

The days of the Sony Trinitron were entirely unique though.  They managed to invent a technology that dramatically outperformed everything else.  As such, and with patent protection, they remained dominant in the SD CRT arena.

 

These days, there isn't much to go nuts about for any manufacturer.

 

I don't see a "demise" in Sony quality at all over the last, say, 7 years or so.  It's just sony no longer has that be-all-end-all lockdown on a must-have technology as it did with the trinitron.  3 electron guns?  MAN that thing was an awesome SD picture!  If you didn't have a Sony, the best you could hope for was a "good" picture, not a great one.  Back then.

 

What I do see a lot written about are ALL manufacturers cutting corners or dying entirely.  Think Pioneer Kuro (>poof<) and Sharp Elite (>poof<) and Sony made panels (>poof<) and...and...and...and...

post #1780 of 3984
So true so true. I don't know where Sony is heading with this 550 series display but I applaud them for offering a display up to 70", with Passive 3D, in the mid price range. Actually I was stunned when I first discovered the R550 series. Sony was by far the last company I would have expected to directly compete with Vizio and Sharp in this size market, especially at this price point. Go Sony.
post #1781 of 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

So true so true. I don't know where Sony is heading with this 550 series display but I applaud them for offering a display up to 70", with Passive 3D, in the mid price range. Actually I was stunned when I first discovered the R550 series. Sony was by far the last company I would have expected to directly compete with Vizio and Sharp in this size market, especially at this price point. Go Sony.

My thoughts EXACTLY when I was looking for another company's 70 inch to replace that E Vizio. I was sooooo happy to see that Sony had this series. It felt like Christmas.
post #1782 of 3984
OK, I need some expert to figure this out.

In another thread on the Sony EX640, a poster posted this to enter the service menu on that set. It apparently works on our set - I was there, but I can't figure out how to save the settings.

Enter the Factory menu:
Turn TV on
On remote press: Left Arrow, Right Arrow, Mute, Select (center button), Mute, Menu (home)
(all buttons must be pressed within 1s of each other)


In the Color Temp area, there are settings for RGB bias, etc., and I think upping the green value gets rid of some of the purpleness on these sets.

So, experts,

- 1 - How do we save the settings? The indicator at the bottom lists "[</>] SET and [EXIT] to exit". Does that mean press the left arrow and then the right arrow? Press both together? Does EXIT mean [RETURN]?

- 2 - Those with all kinds of screen measuring devices - What settings of these R, G, or B values would be the most beneficial.

Now we've all heard that messing around with service modes can be dangerous, but I can't believe that setting a Green Bias would hurt anything. As always with these kind of things, writing down the settings before they're messed with is a good idea, in case you need to get back to square one.

Harry
Edited by HGN2001 - 7/26/13 at 4:28pm
post #1783 of 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post

OK, I need some expert to figure this out.

In another thread on the Sony EX640, a poster posted this to enter the service menu on that set. It apparently works on our set - I was there, but I can't figure out how to save the settings.

Enter the Factory menu:
Turn TV on
On remote press: Left Arrow, Right Arrow, Mute, Select (center button), Mute, Menu (home)
(all buttons must be pressed within 1s of each other)


In the Color Temp area, there are settings for RGB bias, etc., and I think upping the green value gets rid of some of the purpleness on these sets.

So, experts,

- 1 - How do we save the settings? The indicator at the bottom lists "[</>] SET and [EXIT] to exit". Does that mean press the left arrow and then the right arrow? Press both together? Does EXIT mean [RETURN]?

- 2 - Those with all kinds of screen measuring devices - What settings of these R, G, or B values would be the most beneficial.

Now we've all heard that messing around with service modes can be dangerous, but I can't believe that setting a Green Bias would hurt anything. As always with these kind of things, writing down the settings before they're messed with is a good idea, in case you need to get back to square one.

Harry

i think the indicator means press left or right to adjust then press the set button to set it, then exit
post #1784 of 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho View Post

i think the indicator means press left or right to adjust then press the set button to set it, then exit

I thought I tried something like that, but it didn't hold. When I re-entered, my green value that I set higher was back to "512".

Harry
post #1785 of 3984
When I purchased our 70 inch Sony from Costco I was told that the extended warranty can be purchased for any new television. The television does not have to be purchased from Costco
post #1786 of 3984
Does anyone know if this set is true 120hz? Or is it just 60hz with backlight scanning and other tricks?
post #1787 of 3984
The panel is 120hz even though they label it XR240.
post #1788 of 3984
I still can't figure out how to make the settings "stick" in the hidden service menu.

Harry
post #1789 of 3984
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post

I still can't figure out how to make the settings "stick" in the hidden service menu.

Harry

 

Quick suggestions.  I can't imagine one of these not panning out:

 

  • Ask in the XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A thread.  Many of those guys are *serious* sony folks.
  • If the above thread is too new: ask in the (2012) XBR-65HX950 thread.  Those are also die hard sony guys.  Many of the people who actually own the super high-end equipment are calibrators.
  • Ask in the color calibration sub-forums
  • Ask in the "Flat Panel General and New FP Tech" subforum.
post #1790 of 3984
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Does anyone know if this set is true 120hz? Or is it just 60hz with backlight scanning and other tricks?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calearne View Post

The panel is 120hz even though they label it XR240.

 

The panel will take the source and produce (with interpolated frames) output to 120 Hz.  The raising to XR240 has to do with a backlight scanning mechanism (usually considered "frame doubling" or even "black frame insertion", but with clear distinctions) to reduce motion blur (with very good success by the way...it's no marketing gimmick if not overdone).  BIG topic that....if you're interested, don't ask about it here.  Look to this thread instead started by Mark Rejhon of the blurbusters.com site.


Edited by tgm1024 - 7/27/13 at 12:17pm
post #1791 of 3984
Well, I found this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1481503/sony-kdl-70r550a-post-hcfr-grayscale-calibration-blue-push

which has pictures of the menus I found on our sets:





and the posts by Doug Blackburn have pretty well scared me off of messing around any further. I'll be content to wait until someone else posts specific stuff about our TVs.

Harry
post #1792 of 3984
Looking at the 8 different settings posted at the beginning of this thread I am wondering if you all still use your posted settings and do you use the same settings for all types of viewing?
post #1793 of 3984
Tgm1024...Thanks for the link. I now have a much better understanding of the panel and its performance. I have spent more time in this thread and have found you as both knowledgeable and helpful. Please accept my apology for an earlier response to one of your replies that I did not completely understand what you were trying to convey. These threads need posters such as yourself.
post #1794 of 3984
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjocky View Post

Tgm1024...Thanks for the link. I now have a much better understanding of the panel and its performance. I have spent more time in this thread and have found you as both knowledgeable and helpful. Please accept my apology for an earlier response to one of your replies that I did not completely understand what you were trying to convey. These threads need posters such as yourself.

 

That's an incredible compliment.  Thank you!  No apology needed.

post #1795 of 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Looking at the 8 different settings posted at the beginning of this thread I am wondering if you all still use your posted settings and do you use the same settings for all types of viewing?

I am using the same settings with one exception. I have decided that MotionFlow set to Standard is better overall.
post #1796 of 3984
Anyone have their unit unable to turn on via power button or remote? I've had my 50" just about a week and it was unresponsive the other day and in stand-by with the red light, requiring unplugging and plugging it back in to get it to turn on.

Maybe it downloaded software and hung? Anyone else encounter that?
post #1797 of 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDotCom View Post

Anyone have their unit unable to turn on via power button or remote? I've had my 50" just about a week and it was unresponsive the other day and in stand-by with the red light, requiring unplugging and plugging it back in to get it to turn on.

Maybe it downloaded software and hung? Anyone else encounter that?

I have not heard of that particular problem before. Did you have power brown out or flicker before you noticed it??
post #1798 of 3984
As one of the first in the table, I'm still using my settings for the most part. I too have set Motion Flow off unless I want to play with the SOE.

Depending on the program, my hue might vary from 0 to G10. Some shows/movies look too pinkish otherwise.

Harry
post #1799 of 3984
Appreciate that Tgm1024, class act. I will be in need of your expertise soon.
post #1800 of 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDotCom View Post

Anyone have their unit unable to turn on via power button or remote? I've had my 50" just about a week and it was unresponsive the other day and in stand-by with the red light, requiring unplugging and plugging it back in to get it to turn on.

Maybe it downloaded software and hung? Anyone else encounter that?
I did have the exact same thing happen about three weeks ago. Unplugged and re-plugged and no problems since. I think it must have had a brain fart.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70"