or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 120

post #3571 of 4013
I had to take a picture from the side because it is during the day. Even during the day I still notice the "light blob". This is unacceptable for a $2000 TV. Even my 55 Panny downstairs has some flashlighting in the bottom left corner, but the longer I have the TV on the less noticeable it is. Even with blacklight all the way up it is more than acceptable.

This is not however.
post #3572 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

You must be one of the lucky ones that have won the "panel lottery" then. What are your settings? Lowering the contrast helps to make the clouds less noticeable. I did not find much difference when I adjusted the backlight.

i've seen plenty of people in here that have chimed in with blob free TVsS. including me.
post #3573 of 4013
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

You must be one of the lucky ones that have won the "panel lottery" then. What are your settings? Lowering the contrast helps to make the clouds less noticeable. I did not find much difference when I adjusted the backlight.

i've seen plenty of people in here that have chimed in with blob free TVsS. including me.

 

Yeah, but it sure is one defect that makes me angry that Sony seemed to think was "OK".  It's impossible to ignore.

 

Once I returned it for a new blob-free one, I once in a while will notice the garden variety DSE and can deal.  But that blob thing was absolutely horrible.  So I don't blame folks for sounding off about it very loudly.

 

Not everyone is as lucky as I was in returning it for a blob-free one either.  I dread having to someday have my panel actually replaced under warranty: I just know what will happen----I'll get a blob one and Sony will say "oh, that's normal".


Edited by tgm1024 - 1/10/14 at 2:06pm
post #3574 of 4013
My Daughter is 15 years old, not very picky about things like this, and said-"wow that is messed up-what is it?" Does anyone with a good panel know the manufacture date, and how many tries did take before you got a good one?
post #3575 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by annbitious View Post

My Daughter is 15 years old, not very picky about things like this, and said-"wow that is messed up-what is it?" Does anyone with a good panel know the manufacture date, and how many tries did take before you got a good one?

Good Luck with that, I have replaced 4 times within 4 months time frame and each time it was worse. Finally bought Samsung F8500 series Plasma TV.

post #3576 of 4013
Sam-

Great-Do you know if your's were all from a certain production lot? I love plasma, but the cost of a 65" is out of my range and really the 70" is minimal size for my viewing area, which also very sun lit.
Edited by annbitious - 1/10/14 at 2:18pm
post #3577 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by annbitious View Post

My Daughter is 15 years old, not very picky about things like this, and said-"wow that is messed up-what is it?" Does anyone with a good panel know the manufacture date, and how many tries did take before you got a good one?

Did you buy at Costco?

There was some reports earlier in the thread that mentioned Costco was stacking these TV's the wrong way? Did you transport the TV yourself?
post #3578 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by annbitious View Post

BAMA-

What is your manufacture date?

May 2013.
post #3579 of 4013
It seems that successor r550a in 2014 no more support 3D.
post #3580 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviecena2020 View Post

It seems that successor r550a in 2014 no more support 3D.

Funny, Vizio is dropping 3D too. Are TV companies abandoning 3D? There are still 3D movies coming out.
post #3581 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama29 View Post

May 2013.

I bought mine in BB in Nov and the manufacture date is Sept 13. I have no problems, except when in complete darkness that I can see faint blotches all over the screen and they disappear when I have some ceiling lights on (this is in the standard mode, with no calibration). So, maybe later production have improved the qualifty.
post #3582 of 4013
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviecena2020 View Post

It seems that successor r550a in 2014 no more support 3D.

Funny, Vizio is dropping 3D too. Are TV companies abandoning 3D? There are still 3D movies coming out.

 

No, companies are not abandoning 3D en masse. Vizio decided it wasn't part of their client base.  Other manufacturers still put 3D on their upper models.  It's confusing because 1080p is the "720p of yesterday", and budget models tend to not have 3D.

 

We'll see how this all shakes out over time.  Frankly, the amount of parroted around "3D is a gimmick" BS broken logic is sickening.

 

To help us figure things out over time, I've started the following thread dedicated to sorting out the passive-3D, active-3D, and no-3D models among the 2014 offerings.

 

Subscribe to it, because the data is very difficult to dig up and the list in the first post will incrementally grow.

 

2014 ---3D TVs List--- ...Passive / Active / and no-3D

 

If you see information that isn't in the list, please post in the thread and I'll update it.

post #3583 of 4013

My 60R550 was made in June of 2013, a black screen shows a very small light blue streak in the bottom left hand corner of the screen.  With any picture on the screen I can't notice it even if I look for it.  Very pleased with this tv and the fact that I can change every setting for every input.  The sync also works very well with my sony sound bar.  I got a killer deal on this TV too $899.  I ordered the 520 and when I picked it up it was the 550, a mistake in my favor lol.

post #3584 of 4013
I put a true black image on a USB and even during the day if I go to the side I can see the uneveness. So I'll bring this same USB stick to some best buy stores and test their display units. If I find one that looks good I will return it or that. Out to hunt I go.
post #3585 of 4013
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adudas0817 View Post
 

My 60R550 was made in June of 2013, a black screen shows a very small light blue streak in the bottom left hand corner of the screen.  With any picture on the screen I can't notice it even if I look for it.  Very pleased with this tv and the fact that I can change every setting for every input.  The sync also works very well with my sony sound bar.  I got a killer deal on this TV too $899.  I ordered the 520 and when I picked it up it was the 550, a mistake in my favor lol.

 

A very good mistake in your favor, because the 3D on this set is tremendous.

post #3586 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by annbitious View Post

Sam-

Great-Do you know if your's were all from a certain production lot? I love plasma, but the cost of a 65" is out of my range and really the 70" is minimal size for my viewing area, which also very sun lit.


I am sure they were from different lot as I have bought from different futureshop location within a' 6 months time lap. I have copied couple of contents on my personal USB stick and have tried on display models as well. Same issue appeared on these sets too. Then I have tried watching 65" W850, I loved the picture quality but again this tv has a spherical view of lightning array, that bothers me too.

 

I would say go for 65" W850 which is faster than R550 but the refresh rate is still 120hz.

post #3587 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

My 70" looked just like that. It seems EVERY 70R55a is going to look like that. What is astonishing is that we are the minority who refuse to put up with this BS. I just moved my downstairs room around and now my 60" is too far from the couch.mad.gif So I might be putting my blobby 60" R55a upstairs and look for a 70", so I will be in the same boat.

Perhaps look at the panels and who makes them? I'm not 100% on this but I have read that Sony and Samsung panels are made by Sharp. Would my logic be correct that any of these 3 manufacturers are probably going to have the same type (or probability) of these cloudy defects? I know it's mainly due to the way they are manufactured (trying to keep the tv's thin) and not so much the panel themselves. Would looking at other tv's (LG, Vizio) produce different results? As fancy as these tvs are, I don't need any type of apps on them. I can use any of the other 10 boxes that have that content.

I am still in awe of my 1st gen Sony 40" KDL-40V2500. It's about 4" thick and cost me $2200 back around (2005ish?), and currently resides in my living room upstairs.

Yeah, I'm still running a 2006'ish 46" XBR2 when they used Samsung panels. I don't think the panel manufacturer is really the culprit, but I could be wrong. The sheets that are cut are possibly the same, but the lighting and other tech are fine tuned by the end manufacturer (SONY etc.) & not Sharp. I remember when my XBR2 was compared on here to a 1,000,000:1 ratio Samsung, and the XBR2 showed better contrast using the identical still from one of the James Bond films. I believe my Sony is very close to the same as the SAMSUNGS true "on screen" contrast, but my XBR's dynamic is only 7,000:1 Vs. the SAMSUNGs 1,000,000:1 dynamic. I think the Samsung was an LED LCD & it was the first year for LED TVs (I Think). It's still somewhere in the XBR2 forums.

My XBRs uniformity is very good. A lot of people got cloudy panels with spotlighting, but mine is minimal & barely noticeable in a completely dark room (tho a black screen isn't truly black on my old panel & doesn't show imperfections as bad as these newer panels).

I think I'm going with a 2014 65" 1080 SONY flagship. They say there are 0 uniformity issues, but of course I'll wait until the owners start showing screenshots on the forums in a few months, here. I wish they would make a 70", but at least they aren't running with only a 55" for SONYs 1080 flagship this year. I just couldn't see spending 3K on that 55" (I believe it's the W900a) regardless of how good it's black levels & how speedy the HDMI input is. I can't see buying a 65" 4K because the pixels are half the size, and the recommended viewing distance for a 65" 2160 panel is identical to that of a 32-33" 1080 panel. 10 feet away from a 65" 1080 panel is furthest recommended, and 5 feet for 4K at 65". So, though uniformity is flawless (quite literally) on '13 4K panels, I didn't want to be spending extra money on a resolution that is unusable to my viewing area unless the 4K set were closer to 92" to make the quality to resolution ratio I'm getting now with my 46". It's going to take 130" in 4K to measure up to the distance we're getting in 65" 1080 sets, now :/

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/
Edited by LookN2Find - 1/13/14 at 3:18pm
post #3588 of 4013
I'd much rather have much thicker flat screens than sacrifice uniformity and black levels for being a thinner screen. I might just end up keeping this Sony because I've been wanting a 70" 3D passive TV for a long time and not sure how long it will take for a 4K 70" passive 3D tv to come near $2000.

I might keep it but it will be far from my favorite TV. The Samsung HL67A750 is probably my favorite as far as cost and picture quality.
post #3589 of 4013
The biggest thing you'll be giving up is the 550A's Passive 3D. That might not mean much to a lot of people but if you see it you'll like it.
post #3590 of 4013
Since I moved my room around my 60" looks like complete garbage, and is now too far away. I can only sit dead-on. If I sit on the other end of my couch the picture is so washed out. I'm very frustrated. I'm sitting about 15' from tv. You really notice it on dark movies like "The Iceman" I watched the other day. I'm hoping my in-laws take over the payments for me. They are in the market and I told them they can have it for the $ left on my 2 years no interest bb card. I think I have $1200 left from the $1500 the tv was. Just looking for an even wash at this point. What a sad looking POS. Sony should really be ashamed.

Plasmas have a flicker that drives me nuts. Unless 2014 brings about a manufacturing tech that changes all this, I think my only other option at this point is a projector.eek.gif
post #3591 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

The biggest thing you'll be giving up is the 550A's Passive 3D. That might not mean much to a lot of people but if you see it you'll like it.

Passive 3D is very VERY important. Got a panasonic 55ET5 last year and after watching it will never go back to active. The sony was the default choice because it was the only 70 with passive within reason. I guess there is Vizio but I don't expect the PQ to be quite on par with the Sony. I guess I could live with a 65" if I didn't have to start at a large light blob on the left side during every dark scene.
post #3592 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

Passive 3D is very VERY important. Got a panasonic 55ET5 last year and after watching it will never go back to active. The sony was the default choice because it was the only 70 with passive within reason. I guess there is Vizio but I don't expect the PQ to be quite on par with the Sony. I guess I could live with a 65" if I didn't have to start at a large light blob on the left side during every dark scene.
Have you tried the massaging it with a micro fiber cloth treatment? It did a very good but not perfect job on my 70". Also backing off the backlite and the brightness helped.
post #3593 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Have you tried the massaging it with a micro fiber cloth treatment? It did a very good but not perfect job on my 70". Also backing off the backlite and the brightness helped.

With my palm, lightly. Seems to have made the circular blob bigger. In other words, spread the light blob.
post #3594 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

With my palm, lightly. Seems to have made the circular blob bigger. In other words, spread the light blob.
I read about this process years ago and this TV presented the first opportunity for me to try it.. Several people here on this thread have tried it with varying results but it did a very nice job for me. I used a square micro fiber cloth, about the size of a wash cloth, and rubbed from top to bottom across the screen. You can easily see the light under your hand spread out as you move the cloth. It seems to dissipate the blob in all directions and lessens the intensity. I don't use much pressure but I'm not overly gentle either.
post #3595 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I read about this process years ago and this TV presented the first opportunity for me to try it.. Several people here on this thread have tried it with varying results but it did a very nice job for me. I used a square micro fiber cloth, about the size of a wash cloth, and rubbed from top to bottom across the screen. You can easily see the light under your hand spread out as you move the cloth. It seems to dissipate the blob in all directions and lessens the intensity. I don't use much pressure but I'm not overly gentle either.

How many times did you do it? And how would I go about it if I wanted to dissipate a light blob on the left edge of the screen? As far as the rest of the screen uniformity, I've made it worse. But you can only see it on side angle viewing on a black screen, that's not what bothers me. It's the light "blob" on the left side of the screen.
Edited by Teremei - 1/13/14 at 7:14pm
post #3596 of 4013
Two questions...On the 50 inch.

1) I have CineMotion on Auto 2 - What's the difference between Auto 2 and Off? (Auto 1 had way too soap opera effect)

2) When you push on the right side of the screen on the corners, does it go in a little bit? (The left, center, bottom corners are all solid, but the right side goes in a little then pops back out)
post #3597 of 4013
I ended up selling my 70" R550A. A buddy of mine told me his friend was looking for a TV. I showed him mine with the issues but it didn't bother him. Pretty sure Sony was going to replace it, didn't hear back from them yet. I am considering the Sony 65" 850A. I tried to get futureshop to price match memoryexpress here in Canada at $1799 plus another 10% off which sounded like a great deal. The price was in store only and not online so they didn't go for it. Also considering the samsung 65" F8000.
post #3598 of 4013
I think I'll stick with the Sony. The blob seems to be getting a little bit better. I will continue doing the massage once a day and hopefully it gets to the point where I can barely notice it. That I could live with.
post #3599 of 4013
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

I think I'll stick with the Sony. The blob seems to be getting a little bit better. I will continue doing the massage once a day and hopefully it gets to the point where I can barely notice it. That I could live with.

 

With regular DSE, where you are massaging what looks like the "dirty" regions, or the cloudiness, I can see this working.  But with the blobs I (and some of us had), these were pronouced regions of brightness that had the light rubbing had zeeeeeeeeeero effect on.  The borders of it on my set didn't seem to budge a mm.

 

This is why I'm comfortable calling this a "new" phenomenon (the "blob"), because I've never seen it on any other set.

post #3600 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

With regular DSE, where you are massaging what looks like the "dirty" regions, or the cloudiness, I can see this working.  But with the blobs I (and some of us had), these were pronouced regions of brightness that had the light rubbing had zeeeeeeeeeero effect on.  The borders of it on my set didn't seem to budge a mm.

This is why I'm comfortable calling this a "new" phenomenon (the "blob"), because I've never seen it on any other set.

Yeah but I've seem to have a minor effect. I will continue doing it. This blob is just like corner flashlighting, except it's straight on the side and more circular instead of corner encompassing. I could live with a little on the corner.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70"