Originally Posted by chopcg
I took delivery of this tv today in 50" and do not like it. I'm not a HT geek, but I know a good picture. History:
Had a 42" Panasonic PX600u Plasma and loved it. But after 7 years, it's losing its luster a bit, and I'm tired of lowering blinds to darken the room for daytime viewing.
I then found a great deal for a 50" Samsung ES6500 on Amazon. I liked it, but didn't love it. My chief complaint was that it just wasn't that bright -- the exact reason I went with an LED. Also, the detail in dark scenes was shockingly bad and it had a decent amount of clouding. So, I took a risk and ordered the Sony. It's all Amazon Prime so free delivery and returns.
Granted, I haven't had a lot of time to calibrate it, but here are my issues:
- it's even dimmer than the Samsung (and I have the Eco settings off)
- no matter what I do, I can't get the picture to "pop"
- not as important, but this tv is pretty ugly in person. Also, the stand is very low (compared to the Samsung and Panasonic)
- there needs to be a color temp between neutral and warm (maybe I can fix this with the hue)
- it does not handle fast motion in a hockey game well (better with all processing off, but still not great)
- chrome stand and plate behind the Sony name are very reflective and annoying
- it's a semi-matte screen, but still not very good in a bright room
- and most of all, when the camera pans during hockey, it has this annoying cloudy effect over the white ice. I think this must be DSE (which I assume stands for dirty screen effect).
On the positive, the blacks are great and it doesn't have the clouding that the Samsung had. Whoopie!
I'm now at a loss on what to exchange it for. I don't even care about 3D or smart features. I just want something 50-55" with a good, bright picture that holds up in a bright room, and handles fast motion well.
I thought I would chime back in here since I returned my R550a. I ended up grabbing a 55" Samsung FH6030 off Amazon. I didn't care about the SmartTV features since I have a PS3 and AppleTV. Here are my comments that I posted to another thread:
1) Received a 55" TH-01 from Amazon. The box says "Made in Mexico" but that panel is TH-01.
2) Very mild dirty screen affect. I have to look for it to see it, unlike the Sony R550a, where you could not escape.
3) More uniform and less flash-lighting and clouding compared to the ES6500.
4) Better shadow detail and performance in dark scene than the ES6500, but not as good as the Sony R550a.
5) Brighter than both the ES6500 and R550a.
6) The picture "pops" far more than the R550a.
7) Significantly better at handling glare than the R550a.
8) Off angle viewing is not the greatest. Probably a bit worse than the R550a.
9) No issues in handling fast motion. It's better than the R550a and pretty much the same as the ES6500.
10) The aesthetics are much better than the Sony. It's amazing how horrible the chrome stand and reflecting chrome bottom bezel damaged the looks.
Overall, I'm very happy with this TV. Coming from plasma, I have to make some concessions unless I want to spend significantly more. The TV is bright. It handles fast motion great. The picture pops. I'll be keeping it.