or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 34

post #991 of 3970
^^^Both have a depth adjustment. LG adds another adjustment that is supposed to accentuate popout. I own an LG and leave that popout adjustment at a medium setting to avoid ghosting.

3D demos in stores are a little deceptive in that they have a lot more "popout" scenes than are encountered in normal 3D viewing material. Other than a handful of cgi animated movies (Madagascar 3 is an example) there isn't frequent and pervasive use of popout as a rule. In my experience very frequent and extreme popout is a bit fatiguing to the eyes.

If I'm not mistaken tmg1024 returned an LG prior to his purchase of the R550 so he could probably answer your question better than I.
post #992 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Thanks. Apparently I was being lazy. I didn't know there were any non-FP KDL's.

In any case, absolutely upgrade. That upgrade o-meter just went to 12. smile.gif And given that you're coming from an RP, it's entirely possible that the viewing angle of the R550A might even be better. As horrible as many people believe the 550's viewing angle to be.

No you weren't. I only knew of the A2020 because I sold them and owned an A2000 myself.

As for the off-center the loss is different on an rptv vs an lcd. Within about 43 degrees off center the rptv is better, outside of that it's much worse on average. With lcd colors shift and become less vivid but brightness stays about the same, with rptv color stays pretty much the same but the screen dims a lot.
post #993 of 3970
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

^^^Both have a depth adjustment. LG adds another adjustment that is supposed to accentuate popout. I own an LG and leave that popout adjustment at a medium setting to avoid ghosting.

3D demos in stores are a little deceptive in that they have a lot more "popout" scenes than are encountered in normal 3D viewing material. Other than a handful of cgi animated movies (Madagascar 3 is an example) there isn't frequent and pervasive use of popout as a rule. In my experience very frequent and extreme popout is a bit fatiguing to the eyes.

If I'm not mistaken tmg1024 returned an LG prior to his purchase of the R550 so he could probably answer your question better than I.

No, I never had an LG. I was --->this<--- close to buying one, but after tons of research and in-store evaluating (and dealing with endless pictures of complaints), I chose to move on.

Convergence in 3D movies is a bit weird. Lenses can be either parallel or converging when filming.

Actually, here is a good explanation of what a TV is likely to be doing (separation), but it does so in terms of gaming so you can actually see examples of what they're talking about. Keep in mind, it's a DIFFERENT BEAST all together because a game can redraw convergence any old way it wants to. They suggest using no-glasses to get a feel for what the display is attempting:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6197&limitstart=3
Quote:
How Separation & Convergence Interact

Now that we know how things look visually, the next step is to understand how to adjust the settings to your personal taste. In the previous section, we learned that “separation” determines the intensity of the 3D depth sensation, and “convergence” determines at what point the scene transitions from a depth experience to a pop-out experience.
post #994 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy2719 View Post

Has anyone compared the 3D on this set to the 2013 LG range? I am currently considering the 60R550a and the 60la7400. Any insight on the performance of these 2 sets will be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure how the 2013 LGs are, but my parents have the LG55LM6400 and they both said the Sony's picture is more clear in 3d than the LG.

I visited them about 2 weeks ago and tested out the 3D on their LG and notice that the LG 3D gives more depth. The picture appears to sink into the tv set more and also pop out more but the clarity of the image isn't that great. It might of been the LG thin lens film, instead of the Sony stiff lens so it can effect the clarity.

However, it also depends on what you are watching as well, we were only viewing sample clips that are accessible through the TV. I did not compare it with the same movie.
post #995 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Neither DSE nor any other screen lighting uniformity issues (blob) can be affected directly by software. You can only mitigate the effects sometimes by lowering the light output, but it's still a hardware issue.

I agree I just wanted to say that though I still have the DSE which FW won't fix I did notice better motion handling.
post #996 of 3970
Hello,

I bought the 70" model on Saturday from Magnolia/Best Buy. I've been playing with it Saturday night and Sunday and I'm pretty happy so far, but I'm noticing some purple halos in dark scenes on contours of dark clothes or of human faces against a darker background.
I tried pretty much all the settings and the problem goes away (at least for the Game of Thrones finale) if I raise the brightness from 49 (ideal setting according to the brightness pattern) to about 53. This happens only in motion, when I pause, everything is good.
Is this typical, has anybody else noticed this?

Also my meters measure a slightly under saturated primary red, but not a big deal. I haven't noticed any other issues apart from the lack of settings for color temperature and CMS (I knew that before buying, but I have a Radiance XD and Calman Enthusiast, so I knew I could deal with this aspect).

Thanks!
post #997 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

No, I never had an LG. I was --->this<--- close to buying one, but after tons of research and in-store evaluating (and dealing with endless pictures of complaints), I chose to move on.

Convergence in 3D movies is a bit weird. Lenses can be either parallel or converging when filming.

Actually, here is a good explanation of what a TV is likely to be doing (separation), but it does so in terms of gaming so you can actually see examples of what they're talking about. Keep in mind, it's a DIFFERENT BEAST all together because a game can redraw convergence any old way it wants to. They suggest using no-glasses to get a feel for what the display is attempting:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6197&limitstart=3

Thanks.
post #998 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

No, I never had an LG. I was --->this<--- close to buying one, but after tons of research and in-store evaluating (and dealing with endless pictures of complaints), I chose to move on.

Convergence in 3D movies is a bit weird. Lenses can be either parallel or converging when filming.

Actually, here is a good explanation of what a TV is likely to be doing (separation), but it does so in terms of gaming so you can actually see examples of what they're talking about. Keep in mind, it's a DIFFERENT BEAST all together because a game can redraw convergence any old way it wants to. They suggest using no-glasses to get a feel for what the display is attempting:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6197&limitstart=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho View Post

I am not sure how the 2013 LGs are, but my parents have the LG55LM6400 and they both said the Sony's picture is more clear in 3d than the LG.

I visited them about 2 weeks ago and tested out the 3D on their LG and notice that the LG 3D gives more depth. The picture appears to sink into the tv set more and also pop out more but the clarity of the image isn't that great. It might of been the LG thin lens film, instead of the Sony stiff lens so it can effect the clarity.

However, it also depends on what you are watching as well, we were only viewing sample clips that are accessible through the TV. I did not compare it with the same movie.


Is Sony still running the one year Hulu Plus and netflix promo with this set?
post #999 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

^^^kaotik's KDS55A2020 is about a 2007 model Sony SXRD chip based rptv. These were LCOS rear projection sets, not LCD rear projection and not LCD flat panel. Having owned the KDS60A2000 (same set with silver cabinet vs black for the 2020) I would also consider the R550A (or any good midline LED/LCD flat panel set) a big improvement. Brighter and more vivid and very noticeably sharper.
Steve I upgraded from the 60A3000 and am very happy. The 60A still gets a very good picture but the 70R550A has more vibrant colors. If Sony had not come out with an affordable 70" I would have stuck with the LCOS.
post #1000 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy2719 View Post


Is Sony still running the one year Hulu Plus and netflix promo with this set?

http://discover.store.sony.com/netflix/

Just follow the steps. Redeem by oct 2013
post #1001 of 3970
I'm planning on buying the 70" soon and am wondering about whether to purchase an extended warranty. I've read a number of stories recommending that consumers NOT buy extended warranties because they can be expensive and the vast majority of tv's outlast the typical 3-5 year extended warranty. My last two big screens - a 53" rear projection Hitachi and a 61" LED DLP Samsung - worked perfectly for 5 years . . . right up until my extended warranty expired.

I've also read that today's flat panel tv's have proven to be even more reliable over the short term. So, I am leaning against the extended warranty this time around. Yet, I see that a number of posters on this thread have gone with the extended warranty from Square Trade. Is this because Square Trade warranties are reasonably priced compared to what a big box store will charge? Is it personal experience with a flat screen that died early?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
post #1002 of 3970
In my case I went with the Square Trade based on price alone. Cheap insurance. If you're buying from Costco they automatically double the factory warranty from one to two years.
post #1003 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant98 View Post

I'm planning on buying the 70" soon and am wondering about whether to purchase an extended warranty. I've read a number of stories recommending that consumers NOT buy extended warranties because they can be expensive and the vast majority of tv's outlast the typical 3-5 year extended warranty. My last two big screens - a 53" rear projection Hitachi and a 61" LED DLP Samsung - worked perfectly for 5 years . . . right up until my extended warranty expired.

I've also read that today's flat panel tv's have proven to be even more reliable over the short term. So, I am leaning against the extended warranty this time around. Yet, I see that a number of posters on this thread have gone with the extended warranty from Square Trade. Is this because Square Trade warranties are reasonably priced compared to what a big box store will charge? Is it personal experience with a flat screen that died early?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I think it depends on where you purchase the TV. Most of the cos t(60%) of an extended warranty from Best Buy, for example, is profit. If you have an American Express card, or Visa Signature card, and use that to buy the Sony, it adds an additional year to the warranty. Usually if an electronic item is going to fail, it's usually within the first 90 days or so. I guess it's a comfort factor, having the peace of mind that additional coverage offers. - Sony is new to the 70 inch space, so, if the price was reasonable, I would think about adding the extended warranty. Where were you thinking about buying this set?
post #1004 of 3970
I bought the samsung UN46ES6100 for a good price last week. Im less happy with the clouding issues my set have and some very light vertical banding. Im now looking at KDL-50r550A for 100$ more at my local costco. I have some basic question, i read thru most of the thread.

I use serviio at home to stream my library , does this TV support DLNA service like serviio?
How matte is the screen? im in a VERY bright room with direct sunlight going straight to TV. Better than the samsung?
Any clouding/banding issues so far? i know some have problem but would also like to have positive comment if there is any!

thanks much!
post #1005 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr4ws View Post

I bought the samsung UN46ES6100 for a good price last week. Im less happy with the clouding issues my set have and some very light vertical banding. Im now looking at KDL-50r550A for 100$ more at my local costco. I have some basic question, i read thru most of the thread.

I use serviio at home to stream my library , does this TV support DLNA service like serviio?
How matte is the screen? im in a VERY bright room with direct sunlight going straight to TV. Better than the samsung?
Any clouding/banding issues so far? i know some have problem but would also like to have positive comment if there is any!

thanks much!

i have the 70". it's perfect, no DSE, no clouding or banding issues. it's not glossy like samsungs screens. it's a semi matte ish with little reflection not heavy reflection like the glossy samsung tvs i've seen.

but with any tv you buy,there is always a chance you might not get a perfect tv. if you're happy with the un46es6100 but are annoyed of the clouding and DSE, just return it and get another one and hope it's better and not worst.
post #1006 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

I think it depends on where you purchase the TV. Most of the cos t(60%) of an extended warranty from Best Buy, for example, is profit. If you have an American Express card, or Visa Signature card, and use that to buy the Sony, it adds an additional year to the warranty. Usually if an electronic item is going to fail, it's usually within the first 90 days or so. I guess it's a comfort factor, having the peace of mind that additional coverage offers. - Sony is new to the 70 inch space, so, if the price was reasonable, I would think about adding the extended warranty. Where were you thinking about buying this set?

Thanks for the reply (you too Andy). Discover Card adds a year to the manufacturer's warranty too, I believe. I haven't decided where to purchase yet. Best Buy and HH Gregg are two local stores that I know carry it. I'm a BJ's member currently, but I could look into Costco. I'm tempted just to order online through Amazon. But, I worry about a possible hassle should my set have a problem that necessitates an exchange. Not sure how easy doing an exchange would be if I ordered online.
post #1007 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho View Post

i have the 70". it's perfect, no DSE, no clouding or banding issues. it's not glossy like samsungs screens. it's a semi matte ish with little reflection not heavy reflection like the glossy samsung tvs i've seen.

but with any tv you buy,there is always a chance you might not get a perfect tv. if you're happy with the un46es6100 but are annoyed of the clouding and DSE, just return it and get another one and hope it's better and not worst.

thanks for the insight. Any chance you can tell me how is the DLNA support with the tv? easy to stream stuff from serviio?
post #1008 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant98 View Post

Thanks for the reply (you too Andy). Discover Card adds a year to the manufacturer's warranty too, I believe. I haven't decided where to purchase yet. Best Buy and HH Gregg are two local stores that I know carry it. I'm a BJ's member currently, but I could look into Costco. I'm tempted just to order online through Amazon. But, I worry about a possible hassle should my set have a problem that necessitates an exchange. Not sure how easy doing an exchange would be if I ordered online.
Costco also has a 90 day return policy on TV's. When I talked to a sales guy he told me that they do not deliver which could be a problem for many of us. The Square Trade warranty is also cheaper if you are a Costco member. I saved about $40 I think. Not too bad since a membership is a little as $55 yr. FYI, Most items bought from Costco, except TV's DVD players, computers, phones and a few other electronic items, carry a lifetime return policy. Now that's a good warranty.
post #1009 of 3970
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Most items bought from Costco, except TV's DVD players, computers, phones and a few other electronic items, carry a lifetime return policy. Now that's a good warranty.

Are you sure about that? I thought the return policy was usually 60 days. No? Sounds far too good to be true for a discount place. LLBean, sure.
post #1010 of 3970
Trying to decide on the R550A 70" or the Vizio M701d 70". Help me decide! I have seen both sets and both have fairly similar specs and prices. Leaning toward the Vizio, but if anyone can give me a good reason to stay Sony I'm all ears. In other words, what can I get with the Sony that the Vizio cannot provide? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #1011 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascus View Post

Trying to decide on the R550A 70" or the Vizio M701d 70". Help me decide! I have seen both sets and both have fairly similar specs and prices. Leaning toward the Vizio, but if anyone can give me a good reason to stay Sony I'm all ears. In other words, what can I get with the Sony that the Vizio cannot provide? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Looks like this particular Visio offers local dimming which may confer an advantage, but in general Sony > Visio in picture quality.

Hmmmmmm. Tough call. Same price and features, pretty much. Which looks better to your eyes?
post #1012 of 3970
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascus View Post

Trying to decide on the R550A 70" or the Vizio M701d 70". Help me decide! I have seen both sets and both have fairly similar specs and prices. Leaning toward the Vizio, but if anyone can give me a good reason to stay Sony I'm all ears. In other words, what can I get with the Sony that the Vizio cannot provide? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Looks like this particular Visio offers local dimming which may confer an advantage, but in general Sony > Visio in picture quality.

Hmmmmmm. Tough call. Same price and features, pretty much. Which looks better to your eyes?

Lots of complaints seem to surface about Vizio support over the years. I would mildly suggest you to stay with Sony. Sony doesn't tend to aim as "walmart-low" as Vizio seems to IMO, and in general rarely seems to produce crap.
post #1013 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr4ws View Post

thanks for the insight. Any chance you can tell me how is the DLNA support with the tv? easy to stream stuff from serviio?

sorry I cannot.

I have only streamed a few short videos and I am not sure what format some of it was. I just shared a few folders on my network

my friend recorded a video on his canon 60d camera, and I was only able to stream video and not audio. It said audio was not supported. I believe it's .mov format

I was also able to stream a few videos that I am pretty sure that came off my iphone which I believe is .mov format

I was also able to stream a few avi files I had.
post #1014 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho View Post

i have the 70". it's perfect, no DSE, no clouding or banding issues. it's not glossy like samsungs screens. it's a semi matte ish with little reflection not heavy reflection like the glossy samsung tvs i've seen.

but with any tv you buy,there is always a chance you might not get a perfect tv. if you're happy with the un46es6100 but are annoyed of the clouding and DSE, just return it and get another one and hope it's better and not worst.
I just got my 70" yesterday (bought from Sony Online Store). I am still playing around with settings based on posts in this thread. I would say that my initial impression is that the picture is good but not as good as my now-dead KDS-60A3000. Also, when the screen is black (i.e. no video while switching sources/etc) I can see some faint light 'coming in' from the lower right corner - not just at the edge but about the size of your hand. I don't really notice it when there is a picture on the screen but I know it's there so it nags at me. (At first on my KDS-60A3000 I hated the 'screendoor effect' that I noticed on large areas of solid bright area (white, yellow) but eventually that got better and I think my brain got used to it)

I know people on here don't seem to like/desire the SOE (I don't really either) but can you tell me which settings/values I should set/turn-on to get that effect? I would like to see it and then try to back down from it. Last night I watched a DVR'd HD episode of Mad Men and it appeared sort of grainy.

As for screen reflection, it is much less than a plasma would have but is still noticeable compared to my 60A3000. Of course the TV is 10" bigger and is about 6" lower as the 60A3000 had about 6" of chassis/speakers/etc below the screen.
post #1015 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveendicott View Post

I know people on here don't seem to like/desire the SOE (I don't really either) but can you tell me which settings/values I should set/turn-on to get that effect? I would like to see it and then try to back down from it. Last night I watched a DVR'd HD episode of Mad Men and it appeared sort of grainy.

Motion flow off
Cine motion off
post #1016 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveendicott View Post

I just got my 70" yesterday (bought from Sony Online Store). I am still playing around with settings based on posts in this thread. I would say that my initial impression is that the picture is good but not as good as my now-dead KDS-60A3000. Also, when the screen is black (i.e. no video while switching sources/etc) I can see some faint light 'coming in' from the lower right corner - not just at the edge but about the size of your hand. I don't really notice it when there is a picture on the screen but I know it's there so it nags at me. (At first on my KDS-60A3000 I hated the 'screendoor effect' that I noticed on large areas of solid bright area (white, yellow) but eventually that got better and I think my brain got used to it)

I know people on here don't seem to like/desire the SOE (I don't really either) but can you tell me which settings/values I should set/turn-on to get that effect? I would like to see it and then try to back down from it. Last night I watched a DVR'd HD episode of Mad Men and it appeared sort of grainy.

As for screen reflection, it is much less than a plasma would have but is still noticeable compared to my 60A3000. Of course the TV is 10" bigger and is about 6" lower as the 60A3000 had about 6" of chassis/speakers/etc below the screen.
I replaced my still perfectly working 60A3000 with the 70 550 and as good as I think the 60A's PQ was I think the 70R's is better, especially when you watch a good 3D movie. I must admit that the 60A was and is impressive. Too bad Sony bailed on the LCOS technology. Think how good it would be today with another 6 or 7 years of development. One thing I did not do during set up was to turn off the ECO setting. What a difference it made when I remedied that mistake.
post #1017 of 3970
Hello to all, and thanks. I just left cosco, and the first or second week of july I'll be getting the 70" 550a. I havent felt like this about a tv in my life.... Wow, that quite a tv. This forum has been great too. I was going to get the new M series vizio. Seems to many people arent happy with that. Ive been up close 4 times to this sony set, and with all the lights on at those stores. It still looks great. So as long as I dont get a bad set and need to return it cause of some blobbed screen, I know I'll be happy.. And the square trade at costco. Man what a great deal that is for peace of mind.... I justhope costco has a salenext month or something...
post #1018 of 3970
I might find a better deal at some other big box store, but by the time I add a 5 year warrenty. Dont see how I can beat costco..... Maybe a coupon for a free PS4 when that comes out.....
post #1019 of 3970
just returned my 50" 550a because of clouding and the replacement now has some bad flashlighting on all 4 corners to the point of where its very noticeable when watching anything with a dark scene..might have to return this one again and try a 3rd time..if the 3rd one is bad i might had to give up on this tv and maybe go for the w802
post #1020 of 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by airecken View Post

Here is my best attempt at calibration with HCFR and ColorMunki Display. It's quite different than some of what's been posted so far. I almost exclusively watch movies with the TV, in a fairly mixed lighting environment. Please let me know what you think.

Custom
Backlight 6
Picture 86
Brightness 51
Color 52
Hue R2
Sharp Min
Color Temperature Warm
Noise/MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Motionflow Off
CineMotion Auto 1
Advanced Settings all Off, Gamma 0

Today, I got my 60r550a. I used this setting, and I like it so far except the picture is a little bit yellowish. I don't know if that is natural or not. I noticed there is no game mode. Does anyone have good setting for ps3 game? I checked my TV with pure black screen and pure white screen from youtube. Can you please tell me if this is fine? Thank you very much for your help in advance.
This is when Backlight is Max and Brightness is also Max.
Pure black screen from youtube
Pure white screen from youtube
Edited by JSatsunset - 6/11/13 at 9:45pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70"