or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Why are blu-rays still so expensive?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why are blu-rays still so expensive? - Page 5

post #121 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

Having previously burned 100s of DVDs in the past, I can tell you I haven't touched a disc in ages. I have 1000s of Bluray files on a media server. I own maybe 25 physical BD discs in total, with only future purchases on 3D. I also just transferred the equivalent of 150 BD discs onto a friend's laptop, which took up 250GB of space.

How can you have 1000's of Blu-ray files but have not touched a physical disc in ages? Those statements imply theft. It could get you banned from AVS. And yes I am well aware of torrents and folks who rip rental disc, the few always makes it difficult for the many.

I too have many hard drives (35 at last count), NAS, etc., but do not have a single DVD or Blu-ray rip on them. Just to easy to play my own disc (390 BD in library as of this date) or disc from Netflix or Blockbuster by mail rentals.
post #122 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

How can you have 1000's of Blu-ray files but have not touched a physical disc in ages? Those statements imply theft. It could get you banned from AVS. And yes I am well aware of torrents and folks who rip rental disc, the few always makes it difficult for the many.

It's sad that people have to resort to theft when movies can be bought so cheap now. They're really not as expensive as some people here are claiming them to be.
post #123 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

It's sad that people have to resort to theft when movies can be bought so cheap now. They're really not as expensive as some people here are claiming them to be.

So true. Amazon reports 1,491 BD titles for $10.00 or less. True, many are B grade, etc. but there are a lot of A titles in there as well.
post #124 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

I think BD prices are fair for new releases. Sometimes I think they are high and sometimes I think it's a decent deal. Usually I'll check Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and Amazon and have BB match the best price. I think below $20 is pretty good, I don't think a new release sale price over $23 is much of a deal. The only exception is a 3D release which I think $28 is my max price limit. I do wonder if distrubutors would make it cheaper or not to just have the BD disc buy itself. And I like Criterion's point of view that the format doesn't matter which is why their DVDs and BDs are the same price. For new releases what are mastered in at least high def, does the disc medium really cost $2-$5 more? I don't think so. So in that regard, it shouldn't matter what format you want because either way I think the same processes would be performed to convert the "Master" to DVD or BD quality.

It typically takes a few months for a 3D release to get to the $20 price range, but they all get there eventually.
post #125 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

Most of us have over 100 BDs. Where do you suppose we store those excess movies? Buy another HD?? You do realize that manufacturing those thin, flat plastic frisbees are A LOT cheaper than manufacturing a HD. And HDs can fail and crash whereas discs will NEVER fail so long as you handle them with care.

I suppose your philosophy also applies to the music world where digital downloads surpassed CD media in sales years ago. Where do you suppose all that music is being stored by everyone? Yes, by additional larger capacity hard drives.

Unfortunately, that's the one downside to storing all your media, failing drives. There's no easy or cheap way to combat this.
Edited by SergeantYnot - 3/11/13 at 11:04am
post #126 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

How can you have 1000's of Blu-ray files but have not touched a physical disc in ages? Those statements imply theft. It could get you banned from AVS. And yes I am well aware of torrents and folks who rip rental disc, the few always makes it difficult for the many.
.

Given your logic, I guess you avoid the software and media discussion rooms on AVS then. You would hate all the talk about ISO and Cinavia bypassing that gets discussed. No different than CSS bypassing back in the day as well. biggrin.gif
post #127 of 480
Thread Starter 
Hate to change the subject but I still think blu-rays are too expensive, at least at the time of release. One other point mentioned here. The main reason people wait till a movie is released on DVD is because they do not want to pay the high price at the movie theater. How many times have you heard someone say, "I'll just wait for it to come out on DVD"? So if it's a movie they really want to see and they wait for it to come out on DVD are they really going to wait months and months for the price to come down?
post #128 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Hate to change the subject but I still think blu-rays are too expensive, at least at the time of release. One other point mentioned here. The main reason people wait till a movie is released on DVD is because they do not want to pay the high price at the movie theater. How many times have you heard someone say, "I'll just wait for it to come out on DVD"? So if it's a movie they really want to see and they wait for it to come out on DVD are they really going to wait months and months for the price to come down?

I think it's extremely common to hear people waiting to watch content at home. Coming from a family of film buffs that adopted "movie night" back in the VHS days (where we literally had a closet with 700 VHS tapes), to going to seeing a movie every week in the theater, I'm not quite sure when the decline of the movie theater came about. Perhaps when ticket matinee deals hit above the $10 mark, and foodstuffs became higher priced than admission cost. In this regard, a $20 or even $25 movie might be the better deal.

I'm not sure how many movies you see in the theater on a regular basis, but I can tell you that personally I have probably seen 5 movies in the past 12 months, with only Die Hard 5 being the only film seen this year alone. I am not sure what will be next on the list, but with the advent of bluray and cheap projection equipment, most people will find enjoyment in watching content in their own homes.
post #129 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

How can you have 1000's of Blu-ray files but have not touched a physical disc in ages? Those statements imply theft. It could get you banned from AVS. And yes I am well aware of torrents and folks who rip rental disc, the few always makes it difficult for the many.

He doesn't have thousands of Blu-ray backups. He has thousands of rips. Basic math says that his files are about 1.6GB each (150 movies filled a 250GB drive), so nowhere near a Blu-ray backup in quality. I used to mess around with compressing my videos, but storage space is so damn cheap and the compression process takes so long on top of backing up the disc that it's just not worth it (to me).

I've backed up hundreds of my ("my" as in only discs that I purchased) Blu-ray discs into 1:1 MKV files to my server and it's almost full, but I've got a lot more discs to backup and a lot more room to grow in the server. The files average about 23GB (main movie, subs, and audio/commentaries).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

I am not sure what will be next on the list, but with the advent of bluray and cheap projection equipment, most people will find enjoyment in watching content in their own homes.

You don't even need to buy cheap gear to enjoy it. wink.gif

I completely agree though, ever since we upgraded our audio setup and built a theater room in the basement, we just wait for movies to come out on Blu-ray and give it a rent. If it's good, we buy it, back it up to the server, and put the disc on the shelf - never to be moved again. In a sense, the original disc ends up being my backup copy.

At present, I can't see streaming living up to the quality of Blu-ray and certainly not 4K before physical media dies. Toss into the mix how most ISPs are moving toward data caps, the all-you-can-eat streaming model or the digital distro method will eventually stall as people avoid not going over their quotas.
post #130 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post



At present, I can't see streaming living up to the quality of Blu-ray and certainly........
VuDu HDX comes close but does at a price of $5.99(rental) & DD+ audio for new releases.
But for convience and HD streaming, it's the best out there & pretty close to blu-ray PQ.
post #131 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

What's so dumb about it I never said that Sony controlled blu-ray pricing, but they did refuse to allow any movies distributes buy a Sony Studio to be released on HDDVD. That's pretty controlling. .. I said that the advent of the Play Station was the nail in the coffin for HDDVD. I remember reading a survey of people buying the Play Station after a year of ownership and many of them did not even know they played blu-rays. Naturally you can find blu-rays on Amazon for a good price in the $17-$20 range. But a quick scan also list's "The Hobbit @ $25.99, Les Miserables @ $23.99, Lincoln @ $26.99, Zero Dark Thirty @ $28.99, Shindlers List @ $22.99 Django Unchained @ $22.99, Wreck it Ralph @ $27.99. If it's a big release movie that I want to see I prefer not to wait 2 or 3 years for it hit the $10 price. I may be dead by then.

Did the HD DVD exclusive studios allow any of their titles to be put on BD prior to the death of the format? That's a dumb statement.

And as for waiting 2 to 3 years for the price to drop... try more like 3 to 6 months. Again its a stupid argument. New releases have always commanded higher prices. It the new releases that drive the most revenue in the business.

I gurantee most all of those titles you listed will be found for under $20 within 6 months of their BD releases.
post #132 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

Toss into the mix how most ISPs are moving toward data caps, the all-you-can-eat streaming model or the digital distro method will eventually stall as people avoid not going over their quotas.

Most ISPs are already limiting data caps. Comcast at 250GB, and AT&T between 150 and 250GB.

By the way, I like your disclaimer about ripping only media you purchase. wink.gif
post #133 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Hate to change the subject but I still think blu-rays are too expensive, at least at the time of release.

Then you need to stop going to places like FYE and start shopping at Amazon.

I find it very unusual how people think $15-20 for a movie is "too expensive" yet 30 years ago, people were willing to spend $60+ for a movie on VHS. People today are too spoiled.
post #134 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

How can you have 1000's of Blu-ray files but have not touched a physical disc in ages? Those statements imply theft. It could get you banned from AVS. And yes I am well aware of torrents and folks who rip rental disc, the few always makes it difficult for the many.

I too have many hard drives (35 at last count), NAS, etc., but do not have a single DVD or Blu-ray rip on them. Just to easy to play my own disc (390 BD in library as of this date) or disc from Netflix or Blockbuster by mail rentals.

Reminds me of one user several years ago bragging about how great highly compressed BD rips looked and why they were going to replace physical media. Later the user admitted he was only watching the over compressed videos on a 30" monitor yet he was trying hard to convince people here BDs weren't needed.

You are always going to have these people... looking to get something for nothing and then they rip the people for spending money on real legitimate product. I wonder if these idiots realize if everyone got their content without paying for it that the entertainment industry would be out of business. No more high priced high production value blockbusters... iow no incentive to produce content.
Edited by Toknowshita - 3/12/13 at 9:48am
post #135 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

VuDu HDX comes close but does at a price of $5.99(rental) & DD+ audio for new releases.
But for convience and HD streaming, it's the best out there & pretty close to blu-ray PQ.

If a HDX rental was $3.99 I might be more inclined to use it, but I think $5.99 is way too much when considering it usually not to much more to buy the title outright on disc after the new release window is over. The problem though is the studios set the prices from what I understand.
post #136 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

Given your logic, I guess you avoid the software and media discussion rooms on AVS then.

Ripping media that you OWN for PERSONAL use is still a legal contention by some and AVS most likely allows some leeway in that area. Ripping rented media or downloading illegal torrents is stealing. Ripping rented or owned media then uploading the resulting files to a P2P has been addressed by the law.

Quote:
where digital downloads surpassed CD media in sales years ago

Not true, that only happened fairly recently, like last year according to the NPD.
post #137 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Ripping media that you OWN for PERSONAL use is still a legal contention by some and AVS most likely allows some leeway in that area.

Not true, that only happened fairly recently, like last year according to the NPD.

News flash, Nielsen ratings reported CD sales were bypassed by digital downloads in 2011, not last year.

I propose you check with AVS to see what "leeway" they are offering to its members of ripping media in general before reporting what you think they are doing. Sounds like a major DMCA violation they could be walking into tongue.gif
post #138 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

So if it's a movie they really want to see and they wait for it to come out on DVD are they really going to wait months and months for the price to come down?

I do - it's not that difficult.
I'm just in a different time cycle than all the 'Jones's that have to be the first to see every little film that has a semi-good hyped up review.
I've waited 1-2 years for some DVD releases just because I'm a cheap bas**rd - wink.gif
It's still new to me, so I have zero issues waiting....
post #139 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

You are always going to have these people...

Agreed, sometimes I need to reset and ignore these folks.
post #140 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiHigh View Post

I've waited 1-2 years for some DVD releases just because I'm a cheap bas**rd - wink.gif
It's still new to me, so I have zero issues waiting....

I hear ya, there is nothing wrong with being frugal with ones money! cool.gif

I have 5 titles in one of my Amazon list that have been there for many months. They are fairly expensive because they are 3D titles but I know one of these days Amazon will do a special and mark the price down for a few hours/days. Have not purchased a 3D projector yet so I’m in no hurry.

Another thing I do is purchase used titles from Amazon vendors if the price is right and the vendor has a good rating.
post #141 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post



Another thing I do is purchase used titles from Amazon vendors if the price is right and the vendor has a good rating.

I second that - Amazon has been my friend lately

I can do 5.00 BRDVD's all day! biggrin.gif
post #142 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

It's sad that people have to resort to theft when movies can be bought so cheap now. They're really not as expensive as some people here are claiming them to be.

Either those people have an agenda they are pushing or they don't understand that a consumer can shop for the best price available. I rarely pay over $20 and that's usually just on new 3D releases and most of the time most of my purchases are closer to the $10/title or less range.
post #143 of 480
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiHigh View Post

I do - it's not that difficult.
I'm just in a different time cycle than all the 'Jones's that have to be the first to see every little film that has a semi-good hyped up review.
I've waited 1-2 years for some DVD releases just because I'm a cheap bas**rd - wink.gif
It's still new to me, so I have zero issues waiting....
Now let's be fair. I never said "every little film", I said one that you really wanted to see. If the movie is that good, while it may still be new to you, you'll most likely be the only one of your friends to have not seen it yet. If I'm willing to wait even 5 or 6 months to buy a movie I want to watch I'll go ahead and rent it from Red Box for less than $2.
post #144 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

Either those people have an agenda they are pushing or they don't understand that a consumer can shop for the best price available. I rarely pay over $20 and that's usually just on new 3D releases and most of the time most of my purchases are closer to the $10/title or less range.
Clearly this thread was started as a thinly-veiled attempt to rehash the format war talking points. The OP mentioned "HDDVD"{sic} five times in his first five posts in this thread.

This thread is all kinds of fail. Sad fail.
post #145 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

Most ISPs are already limiting data caps. Comcast at 250GB, and AT&T between 150 and 250GB.

By the way, I like your disclaimer about ripping only
media you purchase. wink.gif

Believe it or not. smile.gif

Also, Comcast hasn't yet implemented the cap, only threatened- I mean, "educated" its customers about the coming change. We switched to Comcast Business Class last year since the cap does not apply and we use upwards of 500-600GB per month.
post #146 of 480
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

Then you need to stop going to places like FYE and start shopping at Amazon.

I find it very unusual how people think $15-20 for a movie is "too expensive" yet 30 years ago, people were willing to spend $60+ for a movie on VHS. People today are too spoiled.
It's not really fair to compare with things 30 years ago. Gas was $.40gl 30 years ago (oops, guess that was in the 60's and 70's I'm thinking about) and now it's over $4 in California. Not sure what FYE means but I think I listed several movies from Amazon a few posts back that were well over $22. Amazon is where I shop 90% of the time.
post #147 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

It's not really fair to compare with things 30 years ago. Gas was $.40gl 30 years ago (oops, guess that was in the 60's and 70's I'm thinking about) and now it's over $4 in California. Not sure what FYE means but I think I listed several movies from Amazon a few posts back that were well over $22. Amazon is where I shop 90% of the time.

It is VERY fair because people's salary were lower back then and people never complained about the high costs of movies. Now, people make a lot more and people complain about paying $20 for a Blu-ray!! Gas prices went UP, so that's something to complain about. Physical media has gone WAY DOWN. So, yeah, in this case, it's more than fair to compare.

FYE is short for "For Your Entertainment" and is a store that overprices their DVDs and Blu-rays.
post #148 of 480
Thread Starter 
I guess we don't have FYE out here but the reason I felt that the comparison was unfair is because we're talking about a basic commodity in gas, like we all need it and it's pretty much the same basic product now as it was 30-50 years ago. Video Electonic's technology has marched on and on so far (Beta, VHS, DVD, blu-ray) since that it's hard to compare. Now if you want to compare the price structure of blu-ray to say the price structure of TV's then you see where TV's have dramatically come down in price (70 LED for $1569 today at Sam's Club) while blu-ray continues at what I consider a high price. I think someone mentioned earlier that it cost pennies to press a disc. Do the studios decide the price of a DVD or blu-ray? Just curious. By the way. I don't think anybody's differing opinion is stupid.
post #149 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I guess we don't have FYE out here but the reason I felt that the comparison was unfair is because we're talking about a basic commodity in gas, like we all need it and it's pretty much the same basic product now as it was 30-50 years ago. Video Electonic's technology has marched on and on so far (Beta, VHS, DVD, blu-ray) since that it's hard to compare. Now if you want to compare the price structure of blu-ray to say the price structure of TV's then you see where TV's have dramatically come down in price (70 LED for $1569 today at Sam's Club) while blu-ray continues at what I consider a high price.

Actually, TVs has gone way up in price. 10 years ago, I was able to pay less than $100 for a small TV. Today, TVs cost at least $250, even for a small TV. Flat screens never seem to go down in price.
post #150 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

Actually, TVs has gone way up in price. 10 years ago, I was able to pay less than $100 for a small TV. Today, TVs cost at least $250, even for a small TV. Flat screens never seem to go down in price.

You need to do some shopping around, my friend.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Why are blu-rays still so expensive?