or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Why are blu-rays still so expensive?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why are blu-rays still so expensive? - Page 7

post #181 of 480
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb View Post

Indeed, sir.

That, and a healthy dose of bitterness and hard feelings over backing the wrong horse six years ago.
Man, you guys need to get a life. What's with the personal assault on me. I've never called either of you stupid or suggested you had some hidden agenda. I posed a simple question. Nobody is making you keep retuning to this thread. I could care less about HD DVD vs Blu-ray. I simply asked why blu-rays were STILL so expensive.
post #182 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I simply asked why blu-rays were STILL so expensive.
But you didn't simply ask that, did you? You managed to work format war arguments and HD DVD mentions into many/most of your posts (starting with the OP) as well, didn't you? Your disingenuous "who, me?" bs isn't fooling anyone who's paying attention.

Again, why do you care at all what the prices are for purchasing BDs? You just made it clear that you rarely watch a movie for a second time, so why would you be buying BDs? Your posts don't pass the sniff test - this whole thread reeks of someone still bitter about picking the wrong horse attempting to rehash the same tired old arguments.
post #183 of 480
As it's been mentioned repeatedly, Blu-ray titles are not *that* expensive especially looking back over the history of home video. When theatrical movie releases first started showing up on VHS (and BETA) tape at the beginning of the '80's, they were priced at $90 or more. As laserdiscs gained in popularity at the end of the 80's through the mid 90's you'd often see regular releases at $39.99 with box sets and special editions going for well over $100. Even dvds didn't regularly start dropping to the sub-$10 makr for recent releases until about a decade into the format and new theatrical releases to this day are often above $15 discounted retail.

Also as noted, you can get plenty of recent releases, many of which are of outstanding quality for as low as $7 to $15. It is very rare that I pay more than $20 for a street date major title Blu-ray and even a good number of 3D titles are starting to sell though at the sub-$30 (and $20) price point. And just to give one more example of perspective, new release CDs still cost between $10 - $15+ and all you get is 2 channel stereo at sub-HD quality. And this is 3 decades into the format!

Of all the things worth complaining about regarding Blu-ray in general, especially revisionist movie presentation, the occasional dodgy transfer or compressed encoding and throwing in un-needed dvds, price is absolutely not a consideration.
Edited by Partyslammer - 3/13/13 at 4:53pm
post #184 of 480
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb View Post

But you didn't simply ask that, did you? You managed to work format war arguments and HD DVD mentions into many/most of your posts (starting with the OP) as well, didn't you? Your disingenuous "who, me?" bs isn't fooling anyone who's paying attention.

Again, why do you care at all what the prices are for purchasing BDs? You just made it clear that you rarely watch a movie for a second time, so why would you be buying BDs? Your posts don't pass the sniff test - this whole thread reeks of someone still bitter about picking the wrong horse attempting to rehash the same tired old arguments.
Your personal attack is absolutely over the top and uncalled for. Why do I care about the prices for BR? Because it's a free world and I can care for whatever reason I want. Why do you care how many times I watch a BR anyway? I can't see wasting my time watching something that I already know the ending to. Disingenuous? You don't know me Steeb. It's pretty obvious from your choice of words and your not so subtle animosity that this thread should end. Have a great day and enjoy the Pac-Ten Tourney in Vegas.
post #185 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Why do you care how many times I watch a BR anyway? I can't see wasting my time watching something that I already know the ending to.

I think that is a fair question of people to ask of you, though.

IF, as you say, you can't see watching a movie more than once... then why do you care how much it costs to own it? No matter how cheap it is, it would be too expensive for you IF you never want to watch it again, right?

I mean... a $5 movie is too much IF you only want to watch it once... when you can rent it for less than that.

That is why people have questioned your interests here, I think... because you seem to have no interest in buying at any price... so all the counterpoints that have been made to show how movies can be bought for fairly cheap are moot to you if you don't want to buy them at any price.
post #186 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Why do I care about the prices for BR?

Why are blu-rays still so expensive

It has been pointed out to you several times: compared to LaserDisc, video cassette, DVD and D-Theater, Blu-ray titles are RELATIVELY inexpensive. Did you not even glance at some of the LaserDisc titles and prices that I posted earlier? And that product was analog NTSC standard definition with 2 channels of FM sound (later, 2 channels of PCM was added, then in the 90's Dolby Digital and DTS [up to 5.1] was added). Blu-ray is a product capable of a high resolution picture and up to 7.1 lossless channels of sound and we get that for about ⅓ to ½ (in many cases, much less) the price we used to pay for LaserDisc.

If you do not “get this” then no amount of responses will answer your question!!
post #187 of 480
The lowest price I paid for titles on D-VHS D-Theater was $24.00, most were $26.00 to $37.00 range. Time period was 2003 to 2006.
post #188 of 480
I wait a few weeks and get them on EBay for $15-$20 shipped.
post #189 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Man, you guys need to get a life. What's with the personal assault on me. I've never called either of you stupid or suggested you had some hidden agenda. I posed a simple question. Nobody is making you keep retuning to this thread. I could care less about HD DVD vs Blu-ray. I simply asked why blu-rays were STILL so expensive.

It happens to me too. Next thing you know, people start calling you a troll because they start getting annoyed with your questions. I don't like it when people do that because it gives the moderators ideas that you came here to start trouble when, in fact, all you did was ask a simple, harmless question.
post #190 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

It has been pointed out to you several times: compared to LaserDisc, video cassette, DVD and D-Theater, Blu-ray titles are RELATIVELY inexpensive. Did you not even glance at some of the LaserDisc titles and prices that I posted earlier? And that product was analog NTSC standard definition with 2 channels of FM sound (later, 2 channels of PCM was added, then in the 90's Dolby Digital and DTS [up to 5.1] was added). Blu-ray is a product capable of a high resolution picture and up to 7.1 lossless channels of sound and we get that for about ⅓ to ½ (in many cases, much less) the price we used to pay for LaserDisc.

If you do not “get this” then no amount of responses will answer your question!!

It's funny. I remember my brother spending around $70 for a brand new copy of Apocalypse Now on VHS back in the early or mid 80s if I recall. Using an inflation calculator that is about $160 in 2013. Now under $20 on BD having been restored and in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #191 of 480
I love this thread! biggrin.gif
post #192 of 480
The real question should be:

Why are cloud/streaming/download purchases so expensive when the following is true?
  • you usually don't get extras
  • you are usually locked to certain ecosystems
  • no disc had to be pressed
  • no packaging had to be produced

As far as I am concerned no streaming/download purchases should be over $10 for outright purchase.
post #193 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

It's funny. I remember my brother spending around $70 for a brand new copy of Apocalypse Now on VHS back in the early or mid 80s if I recall. Using an inflation calculator that is about $160 in 2013. Now under $20 on BD having been restored and in 1080p with lossless audio.

I already said something similar to that and lost (see post #146). According to the OP, it's "not fair" to make that kind of price comparison.
post #194 of 480
I honestly feel like they are coming down in price very quickly. Within two years we are going to be seeing a lot of DVD prices for all the old stuff they have pumped into the pipe. Though most of those are not quality transfers it is what it is.
post #195 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

I already said something similar to that and lost (see post #146). According to the OP, it's "not fair" to make that kind of price comparison.

Not fair because it pretty much blows away his argument.

The one thing that has been overlooked is the fact that the industry still considers BD a premium product while DVD is still being produced. Funny I didn't see the OP complain why some DVDs are still streeting for $20 or higher when considered a new release. Until DVD is outrighted replaced BD will still be priced slightly higher than the DVD counterpart.
post #196 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

I honestly feel like they are coming down in price very quickly. Within two years we are going to be seeing a lot of DVD prices for all the old stuff they have pumped into the pipe. Though most of those are not quality transfers it is what it is.

Exactly. Walmart, Best Buy and Target have bargain sections for BD now.

Heck you even see highly desirable catalog titles for under $10. Amazon was just selling Lawrence of Arabia for $10 and that was well within 6 months of its release when it was $19 new. So much for the 3 to 4 years for a price drop according to the OP. The BD business is pretty much being run just like the DVD counterpart. If you want the best price you actively look for it and no one is forcing you to buy a title when its brand new. If I don't like the price I wait until it's in the range I am comfortable with and then I make the purchase.
post #197 of 480
Great price for Lawrence of Arabia...another example of many.
post #198 of 480
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

Not fair because it pretty much blows away his argument.

The one thing that has been overlooked is the fact that the industry still considers BD a premium product while DVD is still being produced. Funny I didn't see the OP complain why some DVDs are still streeting for $20 or higher when considered a new release. Until DVD is outrighted replaced BD will still be priced slightly higher than the DVD counterpart.
Now that's the kind of response I was looking for. The continuing existence of standard DVD is a very good reason why BR's are still priced like they are. BR's are really not priced too high if you compare them to SD DVD's. This is of course a very solid reason why there has been no pressure to greatly reduce the BR price structure. Also as more and more people invest in better sound systems they can more appreciate the benefits of the better sound provided. As long as the two formats perpetuate each other why kill the goose.
post #199 of 480
For me, the cut-off price point is $19.99.
If it's $20.99, I won't buy.
It's a matter of principle.wink.gif
post #200 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

For me, the cut-off price point is $19.99.
If it's $20.99, I won't buy.
It's a matter of principle.wink.gif

Come on! What's an extra dollar? tongue.gif
post #201 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

For me, the cut-off price point is $19.99.
If it's $20.99, I won't buy.
It's a matter of principle.wink.gif

Somehow you remind me of Walter Sobchak here wink.gif ...."rules"... biggrin.gif
post #202 of 480

I have to agree with many who question the OP's motive. Why ask how expensive something is when you have absolutely no desire to buy that item? DVD was introduced 18 years ago, compared to 6 years for Blu-Ray; then why is the price of DVD still 75% of Blu-Ray? Shouldn't they just give away the DVDs by now?

 

Why does going out to a steakhouse and a nice dinner cost $100+? Haven't they been around a while?

 

Why are cars so expensive? I remember when Porsche 911 was $10,000; what happened there?

post #203 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Now that's the kind of response I was looking for. The continuing existence of standard DVD is a very good reason why BR's are still priced like they are. BR's are really not priced too high if you compare them to SD DVD's. This is of course a very solid reason why there has been no pressure to greatly reduce the BR price structure. Also as more and more people invest in better sound systems they can more appreciate the benefits of the better sound provided. As long as the two formats perpetuate each other why kill the goose.

RIght. The studios are in no hurry to deep-six DVD because then BD becomes the standard disc and no longer commands a premium in the marketplace.

Here are some current price BD:DVD price comparisons
Lincoln 31.99(4-disc BD/DVD/UV), 26.99(BD/DVD) : 19.96(DVD only)
Les Miserables 23.98(BD/DVD/UV): 19.96(DVD only)
Life of Pi 27.99(BD-3D/BD/DVD/UV), 22.99(BD/DVD/UV): 16.99(DVD only)
Django Unchained 22.99(BD/DVD/UV): 18.99(DVD/UV?)

Really the only ones I would consider overpriced for the moment are the 4-disc and 2-disc Lincoln sets. I don't think Life of Pi is out of line considering you get 3D and 2D BD discs. If you don't want the 3D then you can save yourself $5 without losing anything besides the 3D disc.
Edited by Toknowshita - 3/14/13 at 11:31am
post #204 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Now that's the kind of response I was looking for. The continuing existence of standard DVD is a very good reason why BR's are still priced like they are. BR's are really not priced too high if you compare them to SD DVD's. This is of course a very solid reason why there has been no pressure to greatly reduce the BR price structure. Also as more and more people invest in better sound systems they can more appreciate the benefits of the better sound provided. As long as the two formats perpetuate each other why kill the goose.
Good points....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

Come on! What's an extra dollar? tongue.gif
Like I said...a matter of principle.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Somehow you remind me of Walter Sobchak here wink.gif ...."rules"... biggrin.gif
You're not the first one to say that to me....tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

I remember when Porsche 911 was $10,000; what happened there?
Ya just got old and crotchety...
Don't you know with Porsches you pay more for less?biggrin.gif
post #205 of 480
Blu-ray's are a bargain when you compare them to a couple of tickets to the theater, popcorn, and drinks. I would much rather wait for the Blu-ray release and buy the movie.
post #206 of 480
Since blu-ray's are expensive and you only need to watch them once, may be you should start streaming rentals?
You may not get HD audio but DD or DD+ should be adequate and a little banding or macroblocking never killed anyone. tongue.gif
post #207 of 480
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Since blu-ray's are expensive and you only need to watch them once, may be you should start streaming rentals?
You may not get HD audio but DD or DD+ should be adequate and a little banding or macroblocking never killed anyone. tongue.gif
I have a lot of money invested in my 70" TV and sound system. I do rent much more than I buy. Only buy ones that I want in my library. Like the Batman movies, and Hunger Games, and Twilight (mostly for the wife). Streaming may be next but I've never tried it. I heard that you lose some PQ. True? I been at this a long time. Started with a Toshiba wired Beta and a set of Bose 901's. Thought I was king of the world way back then. Now Beta Max vs. VHS. There's a story many younger folks would like. Like my grand kids.
post #208 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I have a lot of money invested in my 70" TV and sound system. I do rent much more than I buy. Only buy ones that I want in my library. Like the Batman movies, and Hunger Games, and Twilight (mostly for the wife). Streaming may be next but I've never tried it. I heard that you lose some PQ. True? I been at this a long time. Started with a Toshiba wired Beta and a set of Bose 901's. Thought I was king of the world way back then. Now Beta Max vs. VHS. There's a story many younger folks would like. Like my grand kids.
VuDu has the best HD PQ for streaming but it costs $5.99 for the HDX(1080p).
Also, you only get DD+ but it's not bad if you have a good sound system. I usually have to turn up the volume up by 3db to get it to the same level has blu-ray HD audio.

What I really like about VuDu is you can pause it and unpausing starts right up with no PQ loss like some other streaming services.
Just make sure you have at least 7mb ISP or greater or the PQ will be bumped down to 720p if it detects bandwidth is lacking.
post #209 of 480
Thread Starter 
Wow, that seems like a lot when you can rent the BR from Red Box for $1.50. Other than the convenience of not having to physically go out to rent the movie, is there any other advantage to streaming from VuDu?
post #210 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Blu-ray has been around for a long time now. I remember when they first came out the talk was that after the manufacturing equipment cost was re-couped the prices would drop quite a bit. Looking at the new releases coming out over the next few weeks they are still on sale for $22-$24 and retailing for $39. Now I'm all for making a reasonable profit but I think we're being ripped off. Many said this is exactly what would happen when blu-ray out muscled HDDVD. Good old Sony.
Those are some high prices. But where exactly are you seeing those prices? Usually you can get a newly released blu ray for $15 the day it comes out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Why are blu-rays still so expensive?