or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › WD Red vs WD Green vs Seagate 3TB Hard Drive Speeds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WD Red vs WD Green vs Seagate 3TB Hard Drive Speeds - Page 11

post #301 of 853
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

The quality technical discussion that has been a hallmark of this forum has vanished and has been replaced by debate for the sake of debate from a few super-wordy posters.

No Science left in AVS.

btw this is not in reply to your post @amarshonarbangla

Yes.

That's not the only thing vanishing from AVS.
post #302 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Yes.

That's not the only thing vanishing from AVS.

What else is vanishing from AVS?
post #303 of 853
You---assassin---use the forum only for Science and contributions?

LOL

How many refurb Windows 7 licenses have you advertised and sold on AVS?

What does that have to do with AVS?
Edited by t-c - 4/23/13 at 8:12pm
post #304 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

Product warranties don't; matter? That's BS.

Didn't you say they didn't matter?
post #305 of 853
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

You---assassin---use the forum only for Science and contributions?

LOL

How many refurb Windows 7 licenses have you advertised and sold on AVS?

What does that have to do with AVS?

Interesting assumptions.

For your information I have absolutely nothing to do with the windows licenses and thus have not profited a single penny.

I also haven't taken any money from assassinhtpc since late 2012 and in total have made about $100/month from that venture.

But you are free to assume whatever you like and make accusatory (but false) statements about me if it makes you feel better.
post #306 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

But it does. It's an indication of the manufacturer's confidence in its products.

Mfusick, if you are referring to green drives, they come with 2 years warranty. Them lasting 2 years is expected ^_^

I was just saying in general I'd prefer a reliable drive so I didn't have to bother much with warranties.

Perhaps it came out wrong. It wasn't about any brand or model specifically. Just a feeling in general.

I basically was expressing my appreciation and desire for a reliable product. Nothing more.

@ T-C... Warranties certainly do matter. I think everyone agrees a longer warranty is more desirable than a shorter one.

What is debatable is its worth. Everyone wants a longer warranty for "free" and few consider the impact it has on product cost or cost to the MFG. You can purchase a longer warranty on a Seagate and still keep your total cost less than a WD RED with 3 years because the Seagate is cheaper. I don't see too many people doing that. (Myself included)

I see people either buy the Seagates with only 2 years and hope (like me) or pay extra for the WD RED. My question is: Is the average cost difference of $20 between the RED and the Seagate worth 1 year MFG warranty to most people?

Or- it it more a simple matter of brand preference and not warranty related as much ?

Personally I choose to never purchase an extended warranty. I'm personally ok with a product failing and my getting burned. It's preferable to my wasting money on a warranty and not using it. Others probably disagree as there is no right answer.

I've bought 20 Seagates since last Black Friday and so far not a single issue. By my account I've saved an average of $20 each on them over competition's offerings. I paid $99 for my first 5 on Black Friday, Never more than $109- and recently as low as $79. So when I mentally calculate my hard drive spending its obvious to me I have saved enough money to go out and simply purchase a replacement hard drive should any of mine fail outside of warranty ( 2 years )

Personally I accepted this scenario and remain comfortable with it. Of coarse is rather have gotten a 3 year warranty but at what cost ??? Would I have given up some up front savings ??? I'd rather keep the money in my pocket and use it later only if I needed to do it.

Paying $20 more for a "better" product seems very reasonable to me. I'd do that. If i really viewed the WD RED as better (I don't) I would buy it. But assuming you had two identical brand and models HDDs and one was $20 cheaper with 2 years warranty and the other $20 more with 3 years- which would sell more? At what ratio?
Edited by Mfusick - 4/24/13 at 5:24am
post #307 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

Product warranties don't; matter? That's BS.

I think you guys read this wrong as its sarcasm. I think he means warranties do matter. (I agree)
post #308 of 853
OK, back to the topic. After 10 pages of discussion, it's time to vote which one is the best drive (price/performance + warranty)?
post #309 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

OK, back to the topic. After 10 pages of discussion, it's time to vote which one is the best drive (price/performance + warranty)?

WD Red.
post #310 of 853
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

OK, back to the topic. After 10 pages of discussion, it's time to vote which one is the best drive (price/performance + warranty)?

Depends what is on sale on any given day.
post #311 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Depends what is on sale on any given day.

Agreed.
I have been salivating over the Red drives for a while...(since purchasing my server). In the end, I bought a Green 2Tb, based on price and perceived reliability...and a Seagate 3Tb, solely based on price per byte.
post #312 of 853
I am buying my HDDs now based on size - I am out of ports (even added a 2 port pci-e card), so I replaced my 1.5TB drives with Seagate 4TB drives...for only $150 each.
post #313 of 853
Are alot of you guys streaming more than 5 HD streams at once?
post #314 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL-F1 View Post

Are alot of you guys streaming more than 5 HD streams at once?

Yes.
post #315 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL-F1 View Post

Are alot of you guys streaming more than 5 HD streams at once?

A lot of us use our media servers for more than just media. Saying that I mostly use mine for media but I'm considering installing an SSD for certain applications.
post #316 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

A lot of us use our media servers for more than just media. Saying that I mostly use mine for media but I'm considering installing an SSD for certain applications.

I have 3 SSDs, 5 HDDs and 3 NICs in my media server... it's not just a media server smile.gif It's an everything server.
post #317 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

I have 3 SSDs, 5 HDDs and 3 NICs in my media server... it's not just a media server smile.gif It's an everything server.

3 separate networks or using lacp to combine the 3?
post #318 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Interesting assumptions.

For your information I have absolutely nothing to do with the windows licenses and thus have not profited a single penny.

I also haven't taken any money from assassinhtpc since late 2012 and in total have made about $100/month from that venture.

But you are free to assume whatever you like and make accusatory (but false) statements about me if it makes you feel better.

No Windows license selling in this thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462478/discounted-w7-licenses-legitimate
post #319 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

OK, back to the topic. After 10 pages of discussion, it's time to vote which one is the best drive (price/performance + warranty)?


Do I really have to answer this?

Lol

I clearly favor 3TB Seagates with 1 TB platters usually available cheaper than $40 per TB. Listing the myriad of reasons why would be beating a dead horse.
post #320 of 853
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

No Windows license selling in this thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462478/discounted-w7-licenses-legitimate

I answered your accusation. But here it goes again.

Were they sold? Yes.

Did I personally sell them? No.

Did I personally have anything to do with them directly? No.

Did I profit from them? No. Not even a single penny.

Were they sold at a very low profit margin mainly as a way to help out the HTPC community? Yes.

Did fatwallet, slickdeals, woot, etc pick up on this and wipe out the supply? Yes.

Assassin HTPC is not "my" company. I have helped them in the past as an advisor and have helped them setup software and design systems. I have a full-time job completely outside of the tech world and this is just a hobby for me.

But go ahead and make your assumptions. It appears that you know more about me and my business ventures (or lack thereof) than I do, apparently.
post #321 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I answered your accusation. But here it goes again.

Were they sold? Yes.

Did I personally sell them? No.

Did I personally have anything to do with them directly? No.

Did I profit from them? No. Not even a single penny.

Were they sold at a very low profit margin mainly as a way to help out the HTPC community? Yes.

Did fatwallet, slickdeals, woot, etc pick up on this and wipe out the supply? Yes.

Assassin HTPC is not "my" company. I have helped them in the past as an advisor and have helped them setup software and design systems. I have a full-time job completely outside of the tech world and this is just a hobby for me.

But go ahead and make your assumptions. It appears that you know more about me and my business ventures (or lack thereof) than I do, apparently.

Very strange...
post #322 of 853
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

Very strange...

No. Its not strange. You just shouldn't assume things that you have no real knowledge about.

This is a hobby for me. Always has been. Always will be.
post #323 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

No. Its not strange. You just shouldn't assume things that you have no real knowledge about.

This is a hobby for me. Always has been. Always will be.

Yea right.

All very strange...
post #324 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

Yea right.

All very strange...

What's wrong with this guy? Is he a troll?
post #325 of 853
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

Yea right.

All very strange...

There you go again. What's strange is making accusatory statements and assumptions about people you don't even know while hiding behind a computer screen.

You don't know me. So don't act like you do.

Brings me back to my vanishing at AVS comment. I guess only I will ever know what I meant by it.
post #326 of 853
Assassin, I have to agree with t-c on this one. You said:
Quote:
For your information I have absolutely nothing to do with the windows licenses and thus have not profited a single penny.

But in the thread he provided you said:
Quote:
We are setting up an exclusive link and webpage on our website.

You said "us" and "our" a lot as well. Saying "we", "us", and "our" means you have something to do with it. Having something to do with it means you are not correct when you say you have absolutely nothing to do with it. Not that I am bothered that people are selling things we want to buy, and selling them at great prices. I rather think it is a good thing and that you should continue to do it. You simply cannot say you have absolutely nothing to do with something you have already said you have something to do with and not expect people to call you out on it.
post #327 of 853
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Assassin, I have to agree with t-c on this one. You said:
But in the thread he provided you said:
You said "us" and "our" a lot as well. Saying "we", "us", and "our" means you have something to do with it. Having something to do with it means you are not correct when you say you have absolutely nothing to do with it. Not that I am bothered that people are selling things we want to buy, and selling them at great prices. I rather think it is a good thing and that you should continue to do it. You simply cannot say you have absolutely nothing to do with something you have already said you have something to do with and not expect people to call you out on it.

I am not debating this further.
post #328 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I am not debating this further.

You should explain to the community
post #329 of 853
I'll chime in here (tried not to get involved)

I can confirm:

I've known Assassin has a very demanding full time job outside the tech world. It's certainly high profile, full time, and very demanding. Before his most recent position he had more free time, and that time in past he was more active in AVS and this hobby in general.

I've also long known his brother Ben was the one handling Assassin HTPC stuff.

It doesn't take a genius to know that no one is going to get rich or support a family of this hobby at this level. How much margin do you think exists ??? It's laughably small.

You guys are just wrong on much of these ridiculous assumptions.

That said, he certainly has an interest in HTPC company and this hobby even if he's not profiting. If nothing more than to just to see it succeed. And there's nothing at all wrong with that.

I've seen him take an active interest in this hobby and want to see HTPC succeed and spread - for nothing more than wanting that to happen. It's not for personal gain or selfish reasons.

I just wanted to clear the air on this matter.


I might not agree with Assassin on hard drive issues but I certainly don't agree with the ideas being thrown around. If I didn't have inside knowledge via long ago PM chats knowing your wrong I would have stayed out of it. I figured coming from his main critic and opponent in this thread my comments might help clarify things.


That said- I still dislike current WD 5400rpm HDDs because I think slowing the spindle speed and reducing performance is unnecessary and a rudimentary approach to achieving better energy consumption. I also think current WD drives have some reliability issues.

I prefer Seagates approach at simply making the HDD more efficient with higher platter density, fewer platters, and more efficient and modern technology and design.

That's why I appreciate that the 3TB Seagate 7200.14 uses less watts at idle than a WD Green and is SIGNIFICANTLY faster and higher performance while also costing less.

I get why Assassin and I battle on this: Assassin believes the extra great performance and speed of the Seagate doesn't matter and isn't necessary. But my main point that its cheaper gets forgotten. If it wasn't then its a totally different argument debating the worth or necessity of high performance. In this case the performance doesn't cost a premium it comes at discount. That's why I'm so passionate about correcting the myths in this thread all HDD are the same, or that low energy 5400rpm drives are favorable. Those concepts are based on yesterday; not today.
post #330 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I'll chime in here (tried not to get involved)

I can confirm:

I've known Assassin has a very demanding full time job outside the tech world. It's certainly high profile, full time, and very demanding. Before his most recent position he had more free time, and that time in past he was more active in AVS and this hobby in general.

I've also long known his brother Ben was the one handling Assassin HTPC stuff.

It doesn't take a genius to know that no one is going to get rich or support a family of this hobby at this level. How much margin do you think exists ??? It's laughably small.

You guys are just wrong on much of these ridiculous assumptions.

That said, he certainly has an interest in HTPC company and this hobby even if he's not profiting. If nothing more than to just to see it succeed. And there's nothing at all wrong with that.

I've seen him take an active interest in this hobby and want to see HTPC succeed and spread - for nothing more than wanting that to happen. It's not for personal gain or selfish reasons.

I just wanted to clear the air on this matter.

While all this is true, he did say he had nothing to do with Windows licenses when, in fact, he did. Like I said, I think it is a good thing he was involved in helping people get them. I would have been proud to say I helped many people get cheaper Windows licenses.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › WD Red vs WD Green vs Seagate 3TB Hard Drive Speeds