Wondering in this price range is there anything else to compare?
Related Forum Threads
- Best floorstander @ 2000$? Last post on 12/21/13 at 8:51am in Speakers
- SVS Ultra Speakers Line - New Kids On The Block Last post on 9/23/13 at 6:38am in Speakers
- Owner's threads Last post on 1/11/14 at 9:17pm in Speakers
- Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. Last post on Today at 4:45 am in Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers
- Need help with SVS sub selection for new Media room Last post on 3/3/14 at 12:39pm in Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers
AVS Buying Guide Central
Last edited: 12/20/13
- What Surround Sound Configuration Is Right For You?Last edited: 11/1/12
- What Surround Sound Configuration Is Right For You?
5k To Spend on 7.1: GoldenEar Technology TritonCinema Two or what else?
AVS Top Picks
Total system MSRP is $7000, buy pay $4750 delivered brand new.
The Revel F12 is $1500/pr, but can negotiate on phone for $1200; Revel C12 is $600, but ask for $400; Revel M12 is $700/pr, but ask for $500. Buying the entire system gives you good negotiation leverage.
Then add the 2 SVS subs for $2520 (10% discount for buying 2 subs).
Also check SVS Outlet specials.
Edited by AcuDefTechGuy - 3/1/13 at 9:19am
For the open space, what is the cubic sq ft of the room (lengthxwidthxheight)?
I would be looking for high SPL speakers in a big room. JTR speakers and subs would be something on my radar for sure.
The real question is, how far is he sitting from the speakers?
It doesn't matter if the room is 1400SF if he sits 9ft away from the speakers. But if he sits 30ft away, then that's a different story.
For subwoofers it matters, and it also matters from a reflection point and surround perspective.
I have a 6K+ cu sq ft room (if you add up the other attached rooms that are open) and sit less than 13' away from my speakers. I had to go with four powerful subs to get what I wanted in terms of LFE. Understanding the room will be key, and I agree, seating distance is something that is important.
OP, do you have a sketch of your room you can post?
Did you get a Goldenear sub too? Or are you just using the towers?
Probably wanted some moral support.
In which case, I will say, "Congrats!"
I've owned the DefTech BP7000SC & BP7001SC- all Sandy Gross designs. They sounded great. The Triton Two will sound just as great. Just keep the built-in Powered Sub turned to no higher than 10 o'clock for the cleanest sound. Also keep them away from walls. Placing the built-in powered active subs inward towards each other and away from the side walls.
On your AVR setup, I would also keep the speaker channel levels around 0.0+ or higher and all matched.
Why just these 2 options?
My advice is to buy speakers that not only sound great to you, but also measure great. If you do not know a good dealer willing to help you, let me know.
Don't stop there. Listen to more speakers like Revel, KEF, PSB, RBH, NHT, and other speakers.
You want to be able to say that you listened to many speakers and bought the one that sounded great.
I am looking to upgrade my A/V system and have so far (based only on reviews) kind of gravitated toward the Triton Two or SVS complete systems (towers, center, and surround), but am open minded as to the best system for my room since I think it is a difficult room for which to pick the best speakers. I wish to he** I could audition them all in my house but that's just not reasonable to expect. My room has 12 foot ceilings and tiled floor and is open throughout the great room, dining room, and breakfast nook, and with only 1 wall about 8' long separating the kitchen from the rest. I estimate about 10K cubic feet overall. The optimum listening position is about 12-15 feet from the primary speakers but would like it to sound good throughout. Any advice on speaker systems is appreciated.
Edited by bk6539 - 3/19/14 at 10:16pm
The open area is not perfectly square but roughly 9000 - 10,000 cubic feet. 12' h x 30' L x 25 w (average) The primary listening area (living/great room) within the overall open area is a little narrower as there is a den off to the left through French doors. Speakers would be about 12-15 feet apart and primary listening spot about 12-15 away from where speakers would be located. The entire area is tiled, no rugs. Want good sound throughout the space though. Wish I had a sketch. I might work one up and try to put it on here since it might also help when I go to look at speakers assuming I get a knowledgeable sales person. I'll look at the JTRs and others with high SPL for now too. Appreciate the advice so far, keep sending it please. Thanks. Of the 2 I was considering so far I did notice the Ultra towers were not very efficient compared with the Tritons but either way an amplifier upgrade is probably going to be in order also as my Onkyo is only 85 watts.
Edited by bk6539 - 3/20/14 at 12:27pm
bk6539, I just watched Sandy Gross interviewed on the Home Theater Geek Video Podcast, Sandy said their products were only sold by specialists and if you called them, they would allow you to audition the Goldenears speakers in your own listening space. I couldn't tell what your location is, but if there is a dealer within driving range, it may work out for you.
- 5k To Spend on 7.1: GoldenEar Technology TritonCinema Two or what else?
AVS Top Picks
- › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread 2 seconds ago
- › Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread 13 seconds ago
- › Beautiful Booths at NAB 2014 23 seconds ago
- › Official 2014 Vizio Exxx-Bx Series owners thread 1 minute ago
- › Everything sounds the same? 1 minute ago
- › Which of these 15" Pro-Audio Woofers do You Like Best? 1 minute ago
- › Dune HD base 3D cant access WD ex4 NAS via NFS please help 1 minute ago
- › 2014 Sharp AQUOS Line-Up 1 minute ago
- › Recommendation for Motorized, Full Motion Flat Screen Mount? 1 minute ago
- › Yamaha AV and Tannoy SFX Speakers 2 minutes ago
- › Sony HTCT260 Sound Bar Home Theater System by playback007
- › Mama [Blu-ray] by barelyderr251
- › The Proposal (+ Digital Copy) [Blu-ray] by barelyderr251
- › Klipsch RF-7 II Reference Series Flagship Floorstanding Speaker... by aromeo
- › Grand Theft Auto V by njskaguy33
- › VIZIO E400i-B2 40 Inch Smart LED HDTV by mckenna797
- › Panasonic VIERA TC-P55GT50 55 Inch Plasma TV by cheong8898
- › Panasonic DMPBDT230 Wi-Fi Blu-Ray Player by osmpony
- › Pioneer Channel AV Receiver VSX-1023-K by Hut23
- › Logitech 915-000194 Harmony Smart Control by scottsh
- › Academy Award Winners & Nominees on Blu-ray by skehoe
- › Game Console Review Contest by Scott Wilkinson
- › Best Blu-rays for Your Valentine's Day... by skehoe
- › Vizio and Sony Impress, Curved Screens... by Scott Wilkinson
- › AVS Buying Guide Central by skehoe
- › Soundbar Review Contest by SocialCapital
- › AVS Forum's Top 9 LCD TVs by Scott Wilkinson
- › AVS Forum's Top 10 Powered Soundbars by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 8 Low-Cost... by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 6 Streaming Media Players by skehoe