or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › 5k To Spend on 7.1: GoldenEar Technology TritonCinema Two or what else?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

5k To Spend on 7.1: GoldenEar Technology TritonCinema Two or what else?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
I've been reading alot of good reviews on the GoldenEar Technology TritonCinema Two as well as some other brands.
Wondering in this price range is there anything else to compare?
post #2 of 27
Ton of choices in the 5k range. What is your room size...what is your mix of movies to music?

What have you heard that you like? 5k include receiver?
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
5k is just for speakers.
I have a large open space, about 1400sq/ft with the media area in the corner.
post #4 of 27
HT to Music listening? High towards HT? Can you wall / ceiling mount rear speakers or side speakers? Do you want towers all the way around?
post #5 of 27
I would buy something like the Focal 814V towers (MSRP $1800/pr) @ $800/pr x 2 pairs = $1600, Focal CC814V center speaker (MSRP $600) for $350, & SVS PB12-Plus @ $1400 each x 2 = $2800.

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=search&search_query=Focal&x=0&y=0

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb12-plus

Total system MSRP is $7000, buy pay $4750 delivered brand new.
post #6 of 27
Another option is Revel + SVS.

The Revel F12 is $1500/pr, but can negotiate on phone for $1200; Revel C12 is $600, but ask for $400; Revel M12 is $700/pr, but ask for $500. Buying the entire system gives you good negotiation leverage.

http://www.audiolab.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Revel&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Then add the 2 SVS subs for $2520 (10% discount for buying 2 subs). biggrin.gif

Also check SVS Outlet specials. biggrin.gif
Edited by AcuDefTechGuy - 3/1/13 at 9:19am
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraze98nyc View Post

5k is just for speakers.
I have a large open space, about 1400sq/ft with the media area in the corner.

For the open space, what is the cubic sq ft of the room (lengthxwidthxheight)?

I would be looking for high SPL speakers in a big room. JTR speakers and subs would be something on my radar for sure.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

For the open space, what is the cubic sq ft of the room (lengthxwidthxheight)?

I would be looking for high SPL speakers in a big room. JTR speakers and subs would be something on my radar for sure.

The real question is, how far is he sitting from the speakers?

It doesn't matter if the room is 1400SF if he sits 9ft away from the speakers. But if he sits 30ft away, then that's a different story.
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

The real question is, how far is he sitting from the speakers?

It doesn't matter if the room is 1400SF if he sits 9ft away from the speakers. But if he sits 30ft away, then that's a different story.

For subwoofers it matters, and it also matters from a reflection point and surround perspective.

I have a 6K+ cu sq ft room (if you add up the other attached rooms that are open) and sit less than 13' away from my speakers. I had to go with four powerful subs to get what I wanted in terms of LFE. Understanding the room will be key, and I agree, seating distance is something that is important.

OP, do you have a sketch of your room you can post?
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

For subwoofers it matters, and it also matters from a reflection point and surround perspective.
+1. Where the required SPL capability of mains and surrounds is concerned the distance from them to the listener is the most important factor. Where subs pressurizing a room is concerned the room dimensions are paramount.
post #11 of 27
Thread Starter 
Thank you for all the good suggestions. I decided to take the recommendation of my dealer and got the triton cinema two set in 7 channels, for about 1k off retail. I was able to audition them and they sounded awesome. Hope I made the right choice.
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraze98nyc View Post

Thank you for all the good suggestions. I decided to take the recommendation of my dealer and got the triton cinema two set in 7 channels, for about 1k off retail. I was able to audition them and they sounded awesome. Hope I made the right choice.

Did you get a Goldenear sub too? Or are you just using the towers?
post #13 of 27
Not much point in starting a thread in which you purchase less then a day later. I am sure the recommendation of the dealer would be for his product he is selling. Tritons are a good product but did you read reviews of what others recommended ?
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Not much point in starting a thread in which you purchase less then a day later. I am sure the recommendation of the dealer would be for his product he is selling. Tritons are a good product but did you read reviews of what others recommended ?

Probably wanted some moral support. biggrin.gif

In which case, I will say, "Congrats!" biggrin.gif
post #15 of 27
Thread Starter 
Hey thank you! I wasn't willing to buy speakers that I couldn't hear first and these were close by. Will post my impressions after using them in my space.
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraze98nyc View Post

Hey thank you! I wasn't willing to buy speakers that I couldn't hear first and these were close by. Will post my impressions after using them in my space.

I've owned the DefTech BP7000SC & BP7001SC- all Sandy Gross designs. They sounded great. The Triton Two will sound just as great. Just keep the built-in Powered Sub turned to no higher than 10 o'clock for the cleanest sound. Also keep them away from walls. Placing the built-in powered active subs inward towards each other and away from the side walls.

On your AVR setup, I would also keep the speaker channel levels around 0.0+ or higher and all matched.

Enjoy!
post #17 of 27
Hi there I am interested in ether svs ultra towers and center Chanel speakers or the goldenear triton two towers with center super center xl mostly for ht 90percent 10percent music
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfniner View Post

Hi there I am interested in ether svs ultra towers and center Chanel speakers or the goldenear triton two towers with center super center xl mostly for ht 90percent 10percent music

Why just these 2 options?

My advice is to buy speakers that not only sound great to you, but also measure great. If you do not know a good dealer willing to help you, let me know.
post #19 of 27
I just went and listened to goldenear triton two I did not hear the center the guy played some music it sounded great
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfniner View Post

I just went and listened to goldenear triton two I did not hear the center the guy played some music it sounded great

Don't stop there. Listen to more speakers like Revel, KEF, PSB, RBH, NHT, and other speakers.

You want to be able to say that you listened to many speakers and bought the one that sounded great.
post #21 of 27
Thanks i got to the store 30minutes before they had to close they had a pair of revels but I did not listen to them. I went to magnolia after and listed to b&w c9 and c10 again they did not have a working blue ray player so I did not hear the center the b&w sounded great wen the instruments played like the saxophone was not impressed with the voice
post #22 of 27
I wish the nearest magnolia (buffalo) had a pair of c10's for me to audition mmmm
post #23 of 27

I am looking to upgrade my A/V system and have so far (based only on reviews) kind of gravitated toward the Triton Two or SVS complete systems (towers, center, and surround), but am open minded as to the best system for my room since I think it is a difficult room for which to pick the best speakers.  I wish to he** I could audition them all in my house but that's just not reasonable to expect. My room has 12 foot ceilings and tiled floor  and is open throughout the great room, dining room, and breakfast nook, and with only 1 wall about 8' long separating the kitchen from the rest. I estimate about 10K cubic feet overall. The optimum listening position is about 12-15 feet from the primary speakers but would like it to sound good throughout. Any advice on speaker systems is appreciated.


Edited by bk6539 - 3/19/14 at 10:16pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

For the open space, what is the cubic sq ft of the room (lengthxwidthxheight)?

I would be looking for high SPL speakers in a big room. JTR speakers and subs would be something on my radar for sure.
I second this here. Love my Noesis 212' one the best he theater speakers on the market! Need good subs to back em up, however Jeff is introducing his new full range speakers, cannot wait to hear them
post #25 of 27

The open area is not perfectly square but roughly 9000 - 10,000 cubic feet. 12' h x 30' L x 25 w (average) The primary listening area (living/great room) within the overall open area is a little narrower as there is a den off to the left through French doors. Speakers would be about 12-15 feet apart and primary listening spot about 12-15 away from where speakers would be located. The entire area is tiled, no rugs. Want good sound throughout the space though. Wish I had a sketch. I might work one up and try to put it on here since it might also help when I go to look at speakers assuming I get a knowledgeable sales person. I'll look at the JTRs and others with high SPL for now too.  Appreciate the advice so far, keep sending it please. Thanks. Of the 2 I was considering so far I did notice the Ultra towers were not very efficient compared with the Tritons but either way an amplifier upgrade is probably going to be in order also as my Onkyo is only 85 watts.


Edited by bk6539 - 3/20/14 at 12:27pm
post #26 of 27
What about Sierra 2's all the way around? They'll be a little more than $5K but I think Ascend Acoustics takes some off the price if you get package systems.
post #27 of 27
" I wish to he** I could audition them all in my house but that's just not reasonable to expect."


bk6539, I just watched Sandy Gross interviewed on the Home Theater Geek Video Podcast, Sandy said their products were only sold by specialists and if you called them, they would allow you to audition the Goldenears speakers in your own listening space. I couldn't tell what your location is, but if there is a dealer within driving range, it may work out for you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › 5k To Spend on 7.1: GoldenEar Technology TritonCinema Two or what else?