or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin's Intel NUC Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Assassin's Intel NUC Review - Page 6

post #151 of 578
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-intel-extend-nuc-next-unit-computing-family-haswell

Just Thought I would share this. Haswell and IR
post #152 of 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-intel-extend-nuc-next-unit-computing-family-haswell

Just Thought I would share this. Haswell and IR

Sweet!

So this says that a msata ssd will still fit correct? Such as this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820249030
post #153 of 578
Yes, the new NUC will still be mSata SSD only.
post #154 of 578
1 x SATA data connector
1 x SATA power connector
post #155 of 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-intel-extend-nuc-next-unit-computing-family-haswell

Just Thought I would share this. Haswell and IR

Aren't these just rumours? I see no mention of a NUC with the small form factor case. Just motherboards. An ir receiver would be nice but it doesn't mean it will be on the NUC just because there's something for it on the motherboard.

The thing that would be nice to know would be the cooling issue. Will there still be a fan, even with an i3 model?

Philip
post #156 of 578
That's how I originally read it of it being ir capable (connector on motherboard) however I have seen some reports that it isn't (just?) a connector but an ir receiver physically (soldered?) on the motherboard sticking out near the front headphone jack (the pictures I've seen don't show the front of the board, just top and back, the cases seem to indicate there may be an ir sensor there but are not detailed enough for me to see if the plastic piece surrounding the headphone jack has a sensor in it. I suspect the intel version with intel's case will have it... I don't expect intel's case to support the sata port and power connector (unless they have an esata connector that plugs into it that mounts to one of the holes on the back though I suspect those are for air)... personally I would want the case to support housing a 2.5 inch drive for those that don't want to spend money for a decent msata drive, or for those that would rather just have an msata cache drive like many of the newer laptops or to have an internal storage drive for recordings/live tv buffer and maybe have the case big enough to house a bluray drive but I can see this easier as being external as it isn't always used (I have about 6 slim usb dvd drives and 2 bluray drives like this already I could use) but since there is only one sata port, one (bluray or traditional hard drive) will have to be connected to the internal usb header if it is fully populated.

A couple of reports showing various cases oems might choose:

http://liliputing.com/2013/06/intel-nuc-mini-computers-with-haswell-chips-coming-in-q3-2013.html (shows what looks to be a case of the new haswell board being shown every where else)
http://www.fanlesstech.com/2013/06/haswell-nuc-in-september.html (most of these appear to be for the current model since they only have 1 front usb port... included this link since they mentioned condoning passive cooling)

http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Haswell-Based-Intel-NUC-Mini-PC-Set-for-Q3-Release-2.jpg/ (note: not a just a .jpg as link may suggest but a small image gallery)
post #157 of 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

It works well as a media extender or stand-alone playback unit for media using the mSATA or USB storage but it is NOT built what you want to use it for. It just doesn't have the chops.

I would think the i3 could also work as a mini server? The mid-2011 base Mac mini easily handles the suggested 3 tuners and 3 extenders (faster clock speed on much older Sandybridge architecture).

Would the i5 being released on Tuesday, June 18th handle serving extenders for sure? I couldn't hold off so I pre-order.

I'm looking to build a diorama / tilt-shift HTPC setup (miniature size, big performance). The last item to replace is the HTPC. I'm successfully running a Synology DS411slim NAS as an iSCSI target for recording (6 HD streams) and media library (looks exactly like their larger NAS shrunk with a shrink ray).
post #158 of 578
Thanks for the excellent write up on the NUC... It convinced me to purchase one too.
post #159 of 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

I would think the i3 could also work as a mini server? The mid-2011 base Mac mini easily handles the suggested 3 tuners and 3 extenders (faster clock speed on much older Sandybridge architecture).

Would the i5 being released on Tuesday, June 18th handle serving extenders for sure? I couldn't hold off so I pre-order.

I'm looking to build a diorama / tilt-shift HTPC setup (miniature size, big performance). The last item to replace is the HTPC. I'm successfully running a Synology DS411slim NAS as an iSCSI target for recording (6 HD streams) and media library (looks exactly like their larger NAS shrunk with a shrink ray).

A NUC is best used as a stand-alone media player/networked media extender/interactive set-top box or as a very low-end desktop in a worst-case scenario. You will not get big performance out of such a device nor can it handle anything but the most basic uses because that's what it is intended for. If you want something beefier for streaming, Asus has a small box-like HTPC coming out soon that is more powerful and features full 3.5in SATA drive support and there are mini-ITX boards for HTPC coming out with Haswell that are perfect for your project when paired with cases like the Prodigy.
post #160 of 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

A NUC is best used as a stand-alone media player/networked media extender/interactive set-top box or as a very low-end desktop in a worst-case scenario. You will not get big performance out of such a device nor can it handle anything but the most basic uses because that's what it is intended for. If you want something beefier for streaming, Asus has a small box-like HTPC coming out soon that is more powerful and features full 3.5in SATA drive support and there are mini-ITX boards for HTPC coming out with Haswell that are perfect for your project when paired with cases like the Prodigy.

A little too late, ended up pulling the trigger on the i7 BRIX. I'll set it up and see how it performs before selling the Mac mini. We're talking 700MHz less on a newer architecture. Not to mention the BTO Mac mini is restrained by non-AHCI compatible UEFI and bootcamp drivers, it was still way over powered for my setup. Fingers crossed.
post #161 of 578
I checked Geekbench scores for the i7-3537U vs the i7-2620M in my current Mac mini. My current Mac mini with 1866MHz memory scored 9400, whereas the i7-3537U with 1600Mhz memory scored 8700. Fairly close Geekbench results, so I think the BRIX will work.
post #162 of 578
Intel NUC DC53427HYE i5 is now widely available on Amazon for shipping.

Therefore, I backed out of the BRIX i7 last minute and switched to the Intel NUC i5. The Intel gigabit NIC was the driving factor.
post #163 of 578
Hmmm. Get i5 or wait for haswell?
post #164 of 578
Given the i5 processor used was released in 2012, the wait for a Haswell ultra low voltage to be in a NUC might not arrive until 2014.
post #165 of 578
Anyone else order the i5 NUC?
post #166 of 578
The DC53427HYE NUC arrived on Tuesday.

I plan to setup this weekend with 240GB Intel 525 Series Lincoln Crest, Intel Centrino 6235 WiFi/Bluetooth, and 16GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz CAS 9-9-9.
post #167 of 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

The DC53427HYE NUC arrived on Tuesday.

I plan to setup this weekend with 240GB Intel 525 Series Lincoln Crest, Intel Centrino 6235 WiFi/Bluetooth, and 16GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz CAS 9-9-9.

Awesome! I am getting mine soon. Planning on pairing with synology
Ds212j and hdhomerun for ota recording. Are you recording cable? Also planning on streaming and emulation through xbmc.
post #168 of 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeeta View Post

Awesome! I am getting mine soon. Planning on pairing with synology
Ds212j and hdhomerun for ota recording. Are you recording cable? Also planning on streaming and emulation through xbmc.

I am also planning on recording as well. The NUC is replacing my 2011 Mac mini that's currently recording via iSCSI target to a Synology DS411slim (so small it's hidden behind the entertainment center.)

I've looked at a lot of Geekbench browser results in great detail the i7 processor in the Mac mini is about 700-800 points higher, so performance is on par.
post #169 of 578
I got my i5 Intel NUC in last night. Put 64GB SSD and 8GB of RAM in it. Installing win8 tonight along with XBMC and Plex. I'm really curious on how many simultaneous streams the NUC can push to clients.
post #170 of 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9000 View Post

I got my i5 Intel NUC in last night. Put 64GB SSD and 8GB of RAM in it. Installing win8 tonight along with XBMC and Plex. I'm really curious on how many simultaneous streams the NUC can push to clients.

I'm building my i5 NUC tonight as well. It's been sitting at home since early this week, while I've been traveling.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the performance. Geekbench and Windows Experience scores show a pretty small margin between the i5 NUC and my current 2011 Mac mini i7. The current system is able to record 6 HD shows and playback to 2 extenders without breaking a sweat. I can't wait to put this to the test.
post #171 of 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

I'm building my i5 NUC tonight as well. It's been sitting at home since early this week, while I've been traveling.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the performance. Geekbench and Windows Experience scores show a pretty small margin between the i5 NUC and my current 2011 Mac mini i7. The current system is able to record 6 HD shows and playback to 2 extenders without breaking a sweat. I can't wait to put this to the test.

I am setting up a i3... I hope that it can record 4 HD shows while streaming a 1080p movie to one zone.
post #172 of 578
Is recording the HD streams as CPU intensive as using Plex to send(transcode) streams to clients?
post #173 of 578
Anyone using this for ota recording?
post #174 of 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

I am setting up a i3... I hope that it can record 4 HD shows while streaming a 1080p movie to one zone.

Someone at TGB is already using the i3 NUC with an InfiniTV4. Says he's been recording four streams and playing back one forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9000 View Post

Is recording the HD streams as CPU intensive as using Plex to send(transcode) streams to clients?

Transcoding is much more intensive. Does Plex have intel quick sync support? If so, then it would not be a problem.
post #175 of 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

Someone at TGB is already using the i3 NUC with an InfiniTV4. Says he's been recording four streams and playing back one forever.
Transcoding is much more intensive. Does Plex have intel quick sync support? If so, then it would not be a problem.

Unfortunately it does not support quicksync.
post #176 of 578
I setup the Intel NUC DC53427HYE i5 Dual-Core this afternoon with a 240GB Intel Lincoln Crest 525 Series SSD, 16GB Mushkin Blackline CL9 1600MHz, and Intel Centrino 6235 Wireless-N Dual Band with Bluetooth. First, the UEFI BIOS is really nice. I found the NUC is somewhat warm at 52C with the fan at 3200 RPM. It's not as quiet as the 2011 Mac mini. It may cool down with Windows 7 installed and actively managing power. I had no luck trying to do a USB UEFI install, and ended up doing a regular install (I think the USB 3.0 port is the problem). Either way the system boots incredibly fast. Windows install went by like a breeze. After setting up my iSCSI target and restoring the recording schedule, I setup two Echo extenders and successfully watch two channels simultaneously. I'll follow up with more stats and some pictures later on.

post #177 of 578

Edited by shortcut3d - 6/29/13 at 1:35am
post #178 of 578
A couple comparison shots.


post #179 of 578
Update:After reinstalling Windows 7 x64 Professional, I realized the system is booting in EFI mode. I did a long term test recording of 6 tuners with one Echo extenders and monitored CPU utilization during various activities. The i5 NUC averages mid-teens percentage CPU utilization while recording 6 HD shows and using an extender. The utilization spikes to 30% max on using the guide and setting up the 6th recording. Nothing higher was witnessed.

Boot times are nearly appliance like. Faster than my 2011 Mac mini in Bootcamp.

Sleep (S3) and WoL worked flawlessly without any configuration or troubleshooting.

Major Issue: This new build seems to have more trouble with Microsoft iSCSI Initiator than my previous 2011 Mac mini. The iSCSI Favorite Target does not reconnect after restart. I have to launch the iSCSI Initiator and refresh and click connect. This is a major annoyance because I use the iSCSI target as my recording drive. Any idea? There does not seem to be a solution on the web for Windows 7.
post #180 of 578
NUC case with room for two SATA drives: http://www.fanlesstech.com/2013/06/nuc-case-with-room-for-two-sata-drives.html

This is pretty sexy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin's Intel NUC Review