This thing is a wonderful "thin client" HTPC and a perfect complement to my central file server. Who needs underpowered and limited smart TVs with this ?
It also has very high WAF but that part was easy as it replaced a mid-tower
I have bought the Ethernet core-i3 version (DC3217IYE) and complemented it with:
- Fast low latency DRAM (DDR3-1600 CAS Latency 9) Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz SODIMM Kit (2 x 4GB). Remember that both CPU and GPU will benefit from low latency 1600MHz operation !
- Fast mSata SSD (Plextor PX-128M5M 128GB SSD Jedec MO-300 mSATA Marvell Controller). Speed is not an issue here, but at the same price, might as well be fast !
- Logitech K400 keyboard-touchpad combo
On the firmware/software, I immediately applied latest BIOS and SSD firmware.
It was built Friday March 15th with :
- BIOS 039
- latest firmware (1.02) for the Plextor SSD (came with 1.01)
- latest drivers from Intel site (I almost never use the drivers CD coming with new hardware)
- Windows 8 Pro
Running JRiver Media Center 18, I was able to play the jelly fish test MKVs (http://jell.yfish.us/) through the network without stuttering at up to 100Mbps, from a Synology DS211 dual drive NAS box. Only the 110 and 120Mbps sample MKV showed stuttering. I have a wired Gigabit Ethernet network.
I also played Blu-Ray ISO rips perfectly from my main ISO file server (a Linux box running Samba), again using JRiver Media Center.
However, 3D is not on the radar screen for me, so I cannot offer advice.
Edited by RudyRedNose - 3/19/13 at 6:07am