or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 175

post #5221 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwl001 View Post

Why don't these come across automatically if your TV is connected to the internet and set to auto-update? Anybody know? At least for mine it does not.

I know. My Samsung updated over the Internet. The last update for the S64 had to be updated via USB stick since the Internet update method failed to see the update, and I tried numerous times.
post #5222 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Well, they came and picked up my 60S60 today to send it back to Amazon. I went to my local audio/video shop today and was able to get a look at the Samsung 8500 plasma, and was able to determine that it is much brighter and it does indeed have less aggressive ABL than the Panasonics. The 8500 is able to maintain a much brighter screen when presented with an image that is mostly white. The only problem is that the 60" model runs $2899 and the 64" is $3300.

They also had the Samsung 5500 series plasma on display in another room, but I did not find it very impressive, as it seemed to me that it did not have the brightness of the 8500, so I'm not positive it would sufficiently improve on the brightness of my 60S60 to a degree that would justify buying it. Perhaps the signal was not so good in that room.

So, at this point, I am trying to decide between giving plasma another try with the 60ST60 or trying out the Panasonic TC-L58E60 LED TV, which I have viewed rather extensively at Best Buy. I don't expect the TC-L58E60 to equal the 60ST60 in blacks or color accuracy, but it has no ABL and a much brighter overall image, and seems to be very close in image quality to the Samsung 7100 series LED set. I can get the TC-L58E60 for the same $999 price I paid for the 60S60.



Seems like the 8500 would be a safer bet(LED-like brightness, less agressive ABL), but the price tag is a little on the extreme side.
I'd personally opt for the 8500, brightness is very important to me, especially for gaming. After tinkering around some more with the S60, i'm pretty satisfied. It's a REAL shame that by increasing the AGC it destroys shadow color detail to the point of turning objects, shirt pattersn, you name it into a saturated blob. Because raising the AGC to 7 makes the picture come alive, it's absolutely stunning....it's such a big difference, but alas you're artificially screwing with the picture. As is, i've settled for contrast at 100, Panel Brightness to 'HIGH"(regular brightness to -1 or -2) and turned off the AGC. Going from Med to HIGH does make a nice difference to the point where i can no longer go back to MED.

I'm curious though, how much brighter the ST60 really is Vs the S60. Also, aren't you worried about that LED motion smearing? that would be an automatic deal breaker for me. tongue.gif It's hilarious how unstable LED technology is from a resolution standpoint. when 'static' the picture looks amazing, anything moving at a speedy state results in the resolution dipping below 144p. whenever i watched a movie or played a videogame it felt i was drunk, i couldn't adjust whatsoever. the S60 is a huge improvement, but it's still not free from the blur. I'm very sensitive to it, but it's still pretty damn good when stacked up to whatever LED you throw at it.
post #5223 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

How do you feel about last year's UT50 series? I have the 42UT50 for PS3/360 and PC gaming and I can barely detect any lag.. even fighters are good and I do well online. I don't know the exact input lag on this model but I assume it's as good or better than the S60. Have you tried one? If not I recommend you do because I also have several others sets (VT50, VT60, ST50, etc) and can't play on those due to lag (even the ST50). I'm really sensitive to it and if I had to guess the UT50 is around 16ms. I also have a couple CRTs for older consoles and the UT50 is the only thus far I'm able to put up with.


I can't speak on behalf of the U50 or UT50(Neither have gamma controls which is a huge blow imo) but i had the 42" X5(lack luster black levels, weak motion handling, harsh green push, effed up gamma, 3 frames or more of lag...no extensive picture controls)
But i see no point if i had to, to make the switch to the UT50, the s60 i'm guessing has better blacks, is a bit brighter, has PRO controls including color & w/b settings, gamma, the works. Besides, the UT50(correct me if i'm wrong) scored 3 frames of lag or higher in regards to the US models, didn' the UK models get 16ms? Either way it doesn't matter to me, i'm sticking with the S60 hehe.
post #5224 of 6832
Couple days now of running full screen content and the ESPN logo is fading it seems but still there slightly. Disney Wow disc with pixel flipper should be here tomorrow.
post #5225 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Couple days now of running full screen content and the ESPN logo is fading it seems but still there slightly. Disney Wow disc with pixel flipper should be here tomorrow.
Glad to hear it.
post #5226 of 6832
Can somebody please explain to be what exactly Panel Brightness does to the image outside of just making it brighter? I want this set to look as bright as it can get, especially for gaming. which is why i have contrast set to 100, cats off, brightness(0), gamma to 2.4 ect It. Normally i'd have it set to medium, but i'd rather have it set to high because it does make the picture look brighter, but does it have an effect on black levels. The picture doesn't look 'quite' as punchy, seems like there's a slight hit to shadow detail, it lightens it i guess. To compensate i knock down the brightness to -2. :P
Edited by WaveBoy - 11/15/13 at 9:35pm
post #5227 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Can somebody please explain to be what exactly Panel Brightness does to the image outside of just making it brighter? I want this set to look as bright as it can get, especially for gaming. which is why i have contrast set to 100, cats off, brightness(0), gamma to 2.4 ect It. Normally i'd have it set to medium, but i'd rather have it set to high because it does make the picture look brighter, but does it have an effect on black levels. The picture doesn't look 'quite' as punchy, seems like there's a slight hit to shadow detail, it lightens it i guess. To compensate i knock down the brightness to -2. :P

you should max brightness, max color, max contrast, set panel brightness on high, max gamma and use it in complete darkness
post #5228 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by angle_theory View Post

you should max brightness, max color, max contrast, set panel brightness on high, max gamma and use it in complete darkness


Yeah right, thanks for the laughs. XP Unless you were actually serious.....If so, you just ruined my eyes. wink.gif
post #5229 of 6832
@waveboy

I am interested to hear what YOU think about the input lag on the S60. I already know it's measured at 34ms, but do YOU find it playable? Have you been able to adapt to it? What kind of games do you play?
post #5230 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josam27o7 View Post

@waveboy

I am interested to hear what YOU think about the input lag on the S60. I already know it's measured at 34ms, but do YOU find it playable? Have you been able to adapt to it? What kind of games do you play?

It's playable, the 34ms wont hinder your experience too much. It's just not 0ms, which feels lighter, quicker, more intuitive and 'on the dime' based on the comparisons i've done with many Wii games, retro based titles and the PS3. the lag with motion based controls in lets say Mertroid Prime 3 or Wii sports resort is more obvious since it's 1:1 and you need every single MS you can get, but the S60 still performs well... The lag feels about the same as the S30's(using HDMI), but the S30 had the edge when using component cables(16ms) but whocares, the S30 is a terrible plasma and isn't worth seeking down imo, i had a pretty long & bad experience with it. But yeah, the S60 will most likely satisfy your needs unless you're a hardcore retro twitch sensitive plaformer 2D junkie that has to have a perfect playing experience(you're talking to one haha) but what can you do?

HDTV's lag and that's just how it is. This is the best plasma to game on for 2013 so i had no other choices, i couldn't bare to play on a set that had more than 2 frames of lag(Enter the 8500 which has 53ms, or the VT60 which has about 44ms) I've adjusted, and the S60 performs pretty well. And don't listen to those people claiming that you won't feel a difference between 2 frames and a lag free crt, that's just madness.lol i've been gaming since the 80's, i've done side by side comparisons. Anybody with a functional brain that switched from a 0ms to a 34ms capable set side by side and played a motion based title would easily be able to tell the difference. I think the difference here is that there are many PS3/XBOX gamers in this forum that play a lot of '3D' games, first & 3rd person shooters....' and the reaction time with dual analog seems far less noticeable Vs a sidescroller that uses a d-pad that demands pin point accuracy. i wish this set did 1 frame at least, but eh, it tis' what it is! Once you start dipping below 1 frame/16ms the difference starts to become extremely hard to tell apart.

Anyways, i've decided to just stick with 'MED' for panel brightness, sticking it to 'HIGH' seems to produce an undesirable slightly washed out effect to everything. but it does offer brighter the picture, not a night and day difference between low and med, but it's still there. If you were to select high, at least belt the regular brightness down to -2 which provides a bit more punch.
Edited by WaveBoy - 11/16/13 at 12:38am
post #5231 of 6832

disregard

post #5232 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post


Sorry to hear that, and not to make light of your situation, but you need to get a teenager. They change the channel approximately every 10secs, thus eliminating any chance of IR.

Funny but my father does that at age 68 and I can't ephing stand it, but he is only rocking a 720P 46" LED so its a moot point.  Maybe he is regressing.  I am a find what I want to watch and break the knob off kind of guy.  

post #5233 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post


For the record, I laid my 65S64 down in the bed of my truck and there were no issues. Granted, it was a short, smooth ride, but I didn't want to leave it standing up in the bed because it likely would have fallen over. I decided to take my chances and lay it down and I've experienced no issues. Yes, if you can transport it upright that is preferable, but sometimes you just don't have that luxury.

Glad it worked out.  I borrowed a work van and put it in there for my trek home.

post #5234 of 6832
Just sold my old 2007 42" Panny 1080p Plasma(when Panasonic rebuilt it from flashing light issue it kept going.)

Got the TCP 50S60 last night.

Nice set and thanks to those who have posted up and and for the settings guides!!!!!!!!

I was having the tv audio on and couldn't figure how to disable it as have home theater and speakers so after a 20 minute hunt just turned town the speaker volume on remote.

I will try and look later in Vierra link later for off tv audio setting
I saw earlier in thread about it maybe in there under a tv or home theater choice
edit: on mine no hdmi dedicated equip, just rogers cable box so no option to shutdown tv speakers so I just leave them at no volume
Edited by tyreman - 11/16/13 at 7:17am
post #5235 of 6832
I am looking for a 50" tv for the bedroom (wall mount on an inside wall. There is almost no sunlight in the room, ever. The lighting is mostly ceiling recessed lighting, and about half of the time the TV will be on with no lights (with the rest using the recessed lighting). There will be no gaming on the tv, with only occasional blu-ray usage.

Can anyone think of a reason why the S60 isn't enough TV? I don't want to spend more than I need to, and the ST60 seems like it will run at least 400 more, and comparable quality LED's will be 100s more as well.
post #5236 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonandabby View Post

I am looking for a 50" tv for the bedroom (wall mount on an inside wall. There is almost no sunlight in the room, ever. The lighting is mostly ceiling recessed lighting, and about half of the time the TV will be on with no lights (with the rest using the recessed lighting). There will be no gaming on the tv, with only occasional blu-ray usage.

Can anyone think of a reason why the S60 isn't enough TV? I don't want to spend more than I need to, and the ST60 seems like it will run at least 400 more, and comparable quality LED's will be 100s more as well.

st60 will be far better at filtering out the overhead lights, but if you can deal with those reflections during the day then the s60 would be great.

PQ is amazing
post #5237 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonandabby View Post

I am looking for a 50" tv for the bedroom (wall mount on an inside wall. There is almost no sunlight in the room, ever. The lighting is mostly ceiling recessed lighting, and about half of the time the TV will be on with no lights (with the rest using the recessed lighting). There will be no gaming on the tv, with only occasional blu-ray usage.

Can anyone think of a reason why the S60 isn't enough TV? I don't want to spend more than I need to, and the ST60 seems like it will run at least 400 more, and comparable quality LED's will be 100s more as well.

I returned my 60S60 that we bought for our bedroom because of the dim picture and aggressive ABL, but that may not be an issue for you. Now, a 50" model will be a bit brighter than a 60" model in the same line. But, the ST60 models are supposed to be brighter in general than the S60s.
post #5238 of 6832
Man, i was just skimming through random sitcoms on Netflix and just for kicks & giggles i put on iCarly since it happens to be in 1080p. After toggling between MED & HIGH for panel brightness and not exactly being satisfied with either, i instead set it to med and ramped up the AGC to 7......All i can say is,.this set would of been amazing if the AGC had no effect on crippling color detail. Because when you ramp it up to 4-7 this set comes to life and the brightness is superb. It no longer looks dim and properly displays the brightness correctly, like how it WOULD look like on set and how it looks on my crt. I'm now at a point where i'm thinking of just putting up with shadow/color detail getting a bit burnt out Vs settling with the set on HIGH for panel brightness. :P I'd stick AGC at 4-7 and BE to 1.
Edited by WaveBoy - 11/16/13 at 9:21am
post #5239 of 6832
how do we get the red light to turn off when the tv is turned on
post #5240 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Man, i was just skimming through random sitcoms on Netflix and just for kicks & giggles i put on iCarly since it happens to be in 1080p. After toggling between MED & HIGH for panel brightness and not exactly being satisfied with either, i instead set it to med and ramped up the AGC to 7......All i can say is,.this set would of been amazing if the AGC had no effect on crippling color detail. Because when you ramp it up to 4-7 this set comes to life and the brightness is superb. It no longer looks dim and properly displays the brightness correctly, like how it WOULD look like on set and how it looks on my crt. I'm now at a point where i'm thinking of just putting up with shadow/color detail getting a bit burnt out Vs settling with the set on HIGH for panel brightness. :P I'd stick AGC at 4-7 and BE to 1.

iCarly streaming in full 1080p hi-def on a Panasonic Plasma set to custom extra-torch mode must truly be a sight to behold
post #5241 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfmaxpower View Post

I recently bought a 50" s60 and I'm absolutely in love with it. I had been worried about glare issues but it's been a complete non-factor. I use it mainly for sports and gaming and both are a joy, especially the latter.

The one disappointment is the sound quality, so I just yesterday went out and bought an inexpensive sound bar, the Vizio S3820W-C0. I would've liked to get something better but my budget is limited, and I'm no audiophile. Plus I often use a headset when gaming.

I've searched this thread but I'm still confused as to whether it's possible for me to control my sound bar's volume using the tv's remote (or even better, the cable box remote). Also, I've read varying comments on issues with how the s60 outputs audio, and am wondering if there's anything I need to do to optimize the sound bar's audio quality via the settings or a different connection (right now it's connected through a toslink digital cable, not hdmi).

Any help/advice/comments would be appreciated.

Can anyone help?
post #5242 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by angle_theory View Post

how do we get the red light to turn off when the tv is turned on
Cover it. You can buy special adhesive patches that will dim it or hide it completely.
post #5243 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Cover it. You can buy special adhesive patches that will dim it or hide it completely.

a tiny piece of electrical tape should suffice, wasn't sure if there was some kind of hidden setting though
post #5244 of 6832
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by angle_theory View Post

how do we get the red light to turn off when the tv is turned on

Just turn the TV back off after you turn it on. That oughtta do it biggrin.gif





Otherwise, invest in some 50% light-blocking Light Dims - i use these things on everything (even my car's instrument panel and a bright alarm clock):

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1403635/official-panasonic-gt50-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/4530#post_22664779
post #5245 of 6832
I use a tiny piece of electrical tape on all annoying LED lights which annoy me. Cost me $1 at dollar store for a roll. wink.gif
post #5246 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfmaxpower View Post

I recently bought a 50" s60 and I'm absolutely in love with it. I had been worried about glare issues but it's been a complete non-factor. I use it mainly for sports and gaming and both are a joy, especially the latter.

The one disappointment is the sound quality, so I just yesterday went out and bought an inexpensive sound bar, the Vizio S3820W-C0. I would've liked to get something better but my budget is limited, and I'm no audiophile. Plus I often use a headset when gaming.

I've searched this thread but I'm still confused as to whether it's possible for me to control my sound bar's volume using the tv's remote (or even better, the cable box remote). Also, I've read varying comments on issues with how the s60 outputs audio, and am wondering if there's anything I need to do to optimize the sound bar's audio quality via the settings or a different connection (right now it's connected through a toslink digital cable, not hdmi).

Any help/advice/comments would be appreciated.
 

Can anyone help?

 

I've posted this before and hope it helps. My remote controls the sound for the playbar but does not change the TV sound which is set to "0" with these instructions.

 

I've been following this thread for a while since I have a 50" S60 and I've seen it come up a few times about disabling the audio. Figured I'd register to post the solution I found online that works for me with my optical out to Sonos Playbar.

 

Turn off TV

Turn on TV

Hold the Vol - on the TV and quickly press "INPUT" on the remote at least 3x to enter Hotel Mode

Set Mode to "On"

Volume = 0

Vol. Max = 0

Press "RETURN" on your remote and turn off TV.

Power TV back on and verify settings have been saved.

 

Works great for me and I hope others find it useful.

post #5247 of 6832

I've had my S60 for a few days now, pretty blown away by how awesome it looks. I was afraid my room got a bit too much light and I was all ready to get heavy curtains for the window, but I have no issues with glare or washed out colors. Looks almost as good at 2PM with my ceiling fan light on as it does at 9PM with all the lights off. Blinds have to be closed, but they're always closed anyways. I was frustrated I couldn't get the S64 model because they're sold out everywhere, but honestly, I don't think see how much the filter could possibly help in my lighting. 

 

 

I haven't bothered to mess with settings much because I've only had it turned on for around 5 or 6 hours now. I did change from normal to cinema mode and it looks much better. I also tried switching the black level setting from light to dark. While it does look better in lots of places, dark scenes get really crushed by the blacks. Couldn't see the walls of one dark scene that ended up being perfectly visible with light blacks. 

 

 

I am wondering about one thing. When I get a bit too close to the TV, if there are large areas of grey/black, they look really noisy/grainy, almost like static. I'm hesitant to call this an "issue" because from normal viewing distance it's unnoticeable - though  it is a bit more noticeable in videogames, when I'm against a black background and panning the camera around the black background. Mainly just curious if this is a normal issue. 

post #5248 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by thequestionisno View Post

I am wondering about one thing. When I get a bit too close to the TV, if there are large areas of grey/black, they look really noisy/grainy, almost like static. I'm hesitant to call this an "issue" because from normal viewing distance it's unnoticeable - though  it is a bit more noticeable in videogames, when I'm against a black background and panning the camera around the black background. Mainly just curious if this is a normal issue. 

Try setting the sharpness setting to zero, as that may help reduce any visible noise or grain.
post #5249 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis2all View Post

I've posted this before and hope it helps. My remote controls the sound for the playbar but does not change the TV sound which is set to "0" with these instructions.

I've been following this thread for a while since I have a 50" S60 and I've seen it come up a few times about disabling the audio. Figured I'd register to post the solution I found online that works for me with my optical out to Sonos Playbar.

Turn off TV
Turn on TV
Hold the Vol - on the TV and quickly press "INPUT" on the remote at least 3x to enter Hotel Mode
Set Mode to "On"
Volume = 0
Vol. Max = 0
Press "RETURN" on your remote and turn off TV.
Power TV back on and verify settings have been saved.

Works great for me and I hope others find it useful.

Thanks for the advice. What remote are you using? Will this work with my cable remote, or will I need to use the tv remote to adjust volume?
post #5250 of 6832
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfmaxpower View Post

Thanks for the advice. What remote are you using? Will this work with my cable remote, or will I need to use the tv remote to adjust volume?

Depends on your soundbar. Mine can be programmed to accept volume controls from any remote.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread