I've been kicking around a sub upgrade from my M&K MX-350 mkII for 6+ months, and it's about time to pull the trigger. Although comparing these two subs as equal options might be seem odd, let me run down the pros and cons of each and please tell me what I'm missing, or which would suit my situation the best.
First off, ignore the price difference for now. Sure the Paradigm is more expensive any way you cut it, but it has some nice things going for it vs. ID sub solutions. My room is 13'W x 15'L x 8'H, fully enclosed. The location for the sub is near the front of the room next to a side wall, not in the corner however.
Things in favor of the SubM HP:
- Pretty much guaranteed to be bad-ass
- Better "value" than the Paradigm?
Concerns about the SubM HP:
- It's big
- Maybe overkill?
- Mail order not ideal for service/warranty concerns
- Pro-style plate amp doesn't allow for the most flexibility for auto-on, power cord length, etc
Things in favor of the Paradigm Signature Sub 1:
- I've got a great local Paradigm dealer, so service, warranty and support is going to be excellent
- Looks great, so much more interesting visually than a big rectangle
- All the connection and set-up options I could ever dream of
Concerns about the Paradigm Signature Sub 1
- Not likely to go as low/deep as SubM?
- Included PBK-1 is superfluous, as I have a Denon AVP with Audyssey MultEQ XT32
I know some of you will have different suggestions ("go for dual Rythmik FV15HP's!") but I think dual-anything might be a logistical challenge in my room. Give some feedback, though! I'm not even sure I crave some <20Hz playback...I have two small kids in the house that are usually sleeping when I get to settle in for a movie. Sure, either of these are probably overkill, but I like to buy something fairly nice every 10-12 years and enjoy it thoroughly. I never want to find myself in the situation of "if I just spent a little more I could have had something to be happy with for 10+ years".
Edited by Sam S - 3/2/13 at 12:48pm