or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Sealed Tempest LCR + Dual One Pi Surround
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sealed Tempest LCR + Dual One Pi Surround - Page 3

post #61 of 71
What did you use for your roll-on paint?
post #62 of 71
Thread Starter 

This is what I used for painting

 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100172539

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100119614

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100167382

post #63 of 71
Thread Starter 

I took a close mic measurement of one of the SEOS woofers (delta pro 12a). I used a Audyssey mic and was placed in front of the metal grill so it was probably 3" away from the driver. I'm not real familiar with REW and measurements but I got this... Looks pretty good, I was expecting it to roll off sooner.

 

Audyssey Disabled and speaker set to full range (large).

 

post #64 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka View Post

Did not you consider putting woofer above tweeter in your slanted surrounds ?



What would be the reason for putting the woofer above the tweeter in his surrounds?
Does this offer some benefit to using a more traditional tweeter over woofer type
design? I have seen others do this as well, and I just never understood what the logic
behind this type of design would be??
post #65 of 71
^Most likely to get the dome tweeter further away from the ceiling and minimize reflection intensity. They function practically indentical we just are used to seeing tweeter over woofers in efforts to keep the tweeters at ear level and away from floor reflections.
post #66 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

I




Hey can you open up the FR window a bit? Its hard to tell where the base line should be drawn.... I'd guess somewhere around 75db?
post #67 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

^Most likely to get the dome tweeter further away from the ceiling and minimize reflection intensity. They function practically indentical we just are used to seeing tweeter over woofers in efforts to keep the tweeters at ear level and away from floor reflections.

I was actually thinking about the woofer. putting it as close to the boundary as possible may help with allison and ceiling bounce effect. it would also boost the low end a little more which maybe a good thing in this case . these were designed as bass-reflex originally.
post #68 of 71

The first link is broken! aghghghg!

Like your choices and like the paint you used. Those surrounds look pretty good, I might end up building those. You should play some music through your surrounds and see what they sound like. I'd imagine they would sound really boomy in the corner like that, but maybe Audessey can compensate a little?
post #69 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

^Most likely to get the dome tweeter further away from the ceiling and minimize reflection intensity. They function practically indentical we just are used to seeing tweeter over woofers in efforts to keep the tweeters at ear level and away from floor reflections.

 

I was going to put the tweeter on the bottom but was afraid it might cause some problems with the curtain because the tweeter would be right on it. This is the location of the right surround when I had my old speaker up.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post


Hey can you open up the FR window a bit? Its hard to tell where the base line should be drawn.... I'd guess somewhere around 75db?

 

I didn't save the data but it should have been 75db or real close to it.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post


The first link is broken! aghghghg!

Like your choices and like the paint you used. Those surrounds look pretty good, I might end up building those. You should play some music through your surrounds and see what they sound like. I'd imagine they would sound really boomy in the corner like that, but maybe Audessey can compensate a little?

 

Doesn't look like its on the site anymore.

www.homedepot.com/p/Painter-s-Touch-8-oz-Flat-Black-General-Purpose-Paint-1976730/100121945

Its that one but in quart size. I never tried listening to music through the surrounds. If they were boomy I'm sure Audyssey would have tried to eq it down. I still want to measure the surrounds and see what their freq response is.

post #70 of 71
Mr. K,

Never heard you final impressions on these...? How are they for music? Any upgrades in the near future?
post #71 of 71
Thread Starter 

The other day I was listening to music at around 105-110db and it sounded so nice. They can go loud and at the same time sound clean. It seems like they sound better the louder you go but I don't want to push them too hard using my receiver. I don't think I'll change the Tempests, I like them as they are. Maybeeeeeeeee in the far future I'll redesign my subs to ported, horn, or dual sealed. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Sealed Tempest LCR + Dual One Pi Surround