or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Is Trinnov Optimizer in AVRs pretty much dead?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is Trinnov Optimizer in AVRs pretty much dead?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
As the title says.. is Trinnov Optimizer technology pretty much dead in the AVR space? It seems the last and the only AVR to have implemented this technology is the Sherwood R-972, which seems to now be discontinued. For a technology that was lauded as so spectacularly effective, I am wondering why no other manufacturers licensed the technology.

Any thoughts?
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

As the title says.. is Trinnov Optimizer technology pretty much dead in the AVR space? It seems the last and the only AVR to have implemented this technology is the Sherwood R-972, which seems to now be discontinued. For a technology that was lauded as so spectacularly effective, I am wondering why no other manufacturers licensed the technology.

Any thoughts?

Good question! I have always wondered that too. The Sherwood 972 has been around for 2-3 years and that is the only model that has Trinnov on board. By know Sherwood would have other models with it or even other avr manufacturers. I emailed Curt with Trinnov asking him if they were ever going to incorporate it on other avr brands and his reply was.. “Ever” is an infinite amount of time. No news to announce presently.
To me he sounds like on the defensive side.
Edited by asere - 3/29/13 at 11:51am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

As the title says.. is Trinnov Optimizer technology pretty much dead in the AVR space? It seems the last and the only AVR to have implemented this technology is the Sherwood R-972, which seems to now be discontinued. For a technology that was lauded as so spectacularly effective, I am wondering why no other manufacturers licensed the technology.

Any thoughts?

Never say never..
But not likely...
The 972 used TI DA710 processors (2) but the technical challenge is the supporting software..
The 💰 burden for creating, debugging and validating the software is simply too expensive...
If the unit sales qtys were higher and spread over more models than it become more feasible from a financial return viewpoint...


Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #4 of 9
In new AVRs quite possibly yes. However I picked up a R-972 about a month ago and I must tell it is the best bang for buck that I've spent in my HT to date. So you can have it if you want it. Just hope it doesn't drive you crazy. wink.gif
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post

In new AVRs quite possibly yes. However I picked up a R-972 about a month ago and I must tell it is the best bang for buck that I've spent in my HT to date. So you can have it if you want it. Just hope it doesn't drive you crazy. wink.gif

Have you had any issues with the receiver? The reviews mention buggy video performance, and about the only redeeming feature of the receiver is that it has Trinnov. I really wish I could buy a receiver (other than Sherwood) with Trinnov, given the peculiar orientation of my room (asymmetries galore!).
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

Have you had any issues with the receiver? The reviews mention buggy video performance, and about the only redeeming feature of the receiver is that it has Trinnov. I really wish I could buy a receiver (other than Sherwood) with Trinnov, given the peculiar orientation of my room (asymmetries galore!).

I don't scale video, set for pass-through, there is a 5 to 10 second delay when audio codecs switch, commercials and previews, and the remote sucks, I use a universal remote. That's about it. The sound with BDs is well worth it in my room.
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post

I don't scale video, set for pass-through, there is a 5 to 10 second delay when audio codecs switch, commercials and previews, and the remote sucks, I use a universal remote. That's about it. The sound with BDs is well worth it in my room.

It's so true and sad. I don't process video either, and use pass-through as well. If it wasn't for the delay and handshaking issues, I'd keep it over my audssey xt32.

If someone like marantz, outlaw, emotiva, onkyo would implement trinnov a pre-pro with current features I think it would be a true gem. Everyone would be all over it. I think it is that good. I just couldn't deal minor video processing issues. I don't even care so much for the networking features I was about to give up.

I have to tell you though Marantz did a great job with the AV8801 I just installed calibrated one and it is first class. I could only imagine it with trinnov probably would be out of this world, Costs quite a bit more though than the sherwood..

For the price the sherwood is great for the man cave if your into movies only. She even sounded very good on 2 ch stereo imho. I just have to save up for the next house now..
post #8 of 9
The Marantz 8801 does a lot right for sure. The simplicity of setup, input/source/soundfield presets, easy integration into Control4 home automation, relatively cheap cost, and good appearance are among the nice traits in this unit. It could have better OPamp circuits which have a bit too much hiss for my high sensitivity speakers. This has been my only real complaint actually.

Trinnov seems very exciting and I would love to set one up in my house and see what it is capable of. It seems even more "complex" than the Dirac algorithms. I am not even sure I would be certain which sounded better if played side by side. I am sure both would do an impressive job based on testimonials. I have seen a lot of stuff even on these forums that seem to claim this stuff is akin to the second coming of jesus.

What bugs me about pre-pro type devices is their high depreciation rate for such a high priced item. Projectors largely share this same fate. I'm also aware that everything becomes "obsolete" with time... especially for guys like me that want to push the envelope. You do have to pay a lot to get the "best" but you don't have to like paying a lot.

I want the best (extreme s/n ratio) 2 channel (+/- room correction) and excellent multi-sub bass management. I want this ... inside of a processor that also takes care of all my movie needs. I could potentially buy a Datasat or whatever... but then I will feel silly when the Dolby Atmos comes out at home. Just gotta decide how much money to churn...
post #9 of 9
Was analyzing my room and its possible to add 8 speakers as a height layer. I have several CAT5 wires going to my projector niche that I should be able to use to pass line level signal.

The lexicon DD-8 is an 8 channel class D amplifier which is small enough to fit in my existing niche behind my projector. I could run klipsch "THX certified" line of in walls which I could hide behind existing acoustic fabric. Ebay has these speakers for about $550 a pair and the midrange horns should sufficiently match the rest of my system after EQ (with trinnov possibly).

Any other small in-wall speaker options that are high efficiency that I should consider?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Is Trinnov Optimizer in AVRs pretty much dead?