or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › SEOS 12/AE TD12M Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SEOS 12/AE TD12M Project - Page 8

post #211 of 401
getting closer. your going to love them. trust me wink.gif
post #212 of 401
Thread Starter 
Even though I know the hardware won't be here till Thursday or Friday, I still keep checking the tracking numbers anyway. tongue.gif
post #213 of 401
FYI. I used the same #8 PE pan heads for the woofers as I did for the waveguide. Work great.
post #214 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Enjoy your speakers. They are a high quality product. I agree with you about checking to see if the center was on when playing stereo music, but 5.1 with Phantom center just sounded weird to me.

Does a phantom center sound "muted" to you with dialog? Its not an issue for music, but with movies in 7.1 I really need to crank up the volume to hear dialog clearly in phantom, yet when I hook up my JBL center I can lower the volume a bit.

The big question, for those of us without screens... should we run phantom, or non timbre matched centers?
post #215 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Enjoy your speakers. They are a high quality product. I agree with you about checking to see if the center was on when playing stereo music, but 5.1 with Phantom center just sounded weird to me.

I'll be going with a center for sure. I tend to have the volume on the center a little higher because I sometimes have trouble with dialogue. I'll see if I need that boost with these.
post #216 of 401
Thread Starter 
I have tried to run a phantom center. I had huge issues with dialogue. I actually stopped watching movies because of it. I tried it with my CV VS120's and with the BA CR85's. The good part is that it spurred me into building proper LCR's. biggrin.gif

Edit: I just thought about this after I posted. About ~2 weeks ago my friend brought Avengers on BR as I had not seen it yet. I was constantly loosing dialogue as the movie panned left to right. Thus my recent motivation to make progress on the cabinets.

More good news. My hardware is out for delivery. smile.gif I should have it today. The bad is I am on my own for a couple days. Not sure how much I will be able to accomplish. It depends on how much my son will tolerate me working on them. smile.gif
Edited by filtor1 - 6/19/13 at 8:49am
post #217 of 401
Thread Starter 
What size drill bit did you guys use for the #8 pan head screws?

I found this link: http://www.wlfuller.com/html/wood_screw_chart.html

If I am reading this correctly it recommends 7/64" bit for the proper pre drill. Is this correct? It looks good when I put the bit next to the screw.
post #218 of 401
7/64 is correct. Drill a test pilot hole in some scrap, don't go too deep. Have you ccecked your shippment tracking lately?!? tongue.gif
post #219 of 401
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotbunny View Post

7/64 is correct. Drill a test pilot hole in some scrap, don't go too deep. Have you ccecked your shippment tracking lately?!? tongue.gif

Ha! I forced myself to only check it twice today. biggrin.gif

I got the gaskets on the wg's and the drivers attached to them as well. Doing little bits while the little man is off breaking things. tongue.gif Thanks for the info Nate.

Edit: Tested it on a scrap piece, perfect.
Edited by filtor1 - 6/19/13 at 11:04am
post #220 of 401
I didn't use pilot holes
post #221 of 401
Thread Starter 
So I have a couple matching end tables I am going to clean up and bring in to use as stands as time permits. I need to get these closer to ear level. I look forward to giving some impressions.

post #222 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

So I have a couple matching end tables I am going to clean up and bring in to use as stands as time permits. I need to get these closer to ear level. I look forward to giving some impressions.

Looking great! Nice job.

Listen to them?
post #223 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Does a phantom center sound "muted" to you with dialog? Its not an issue for music, but with movies in 7.1 I really need to crank up the volume to hear dialog clearly in phantom, yet when I hook up my JBL center I can lower the volume a bit.

The big question, for those of us without screens... should we run phantom, or non timbre matched centers?

Did not sound muted, just did not sound attached to the screen like it does with my center behind the screen at matching height.

Added
Filtor1 your speakers look good. Have you fired them up? What do you think?
Edited by AV Science Sales 5 - 6/19/13 at 1:54pm
Reply
Reply
post #224 of 401
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

Looking great! Nice job.

Listen to them?

Nothing critical as I was only able to get the one enclosure loaded. My son just went down for his nap so I won't have the opportunity to load drivers in the other cabinet till later tonight. The right channel is driving the one pictured though.
post #225 of 401
Thread Starter 
One thing I have noted is that these do not seem to be as sensitive as the CV VS120's. Not sure if that means much at this point. I am hoping to get a second one up and running tomorrow to verify something isn't wrong with this one.
post #226 of 401
My pair was less sensitive than I thought they would be too filtor, around 5dB or so less sensitive than the Tempests, IIRC, and about 5dB less sensitive than a Big Malcolm center. I believe one of the other guys (Mike maybe?) said the same thing. It confused me too, but the two of them measured identically and they sound fantastic, so after hearing that from whoever else I did I decided to stop thinking about it for the time being.
post #227 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmithers View Post

My pair was less sensitive than I thought they would be too filtor, around 5dB or so less sensitive than the Tempests, IIRC, and about 5dB less sensitive than a Big Malcolm center. I believe one of the other guys (Mike maybe?) said the same thing. It confused me too, but the two of them measured identically and they sound fantastic, so after hearing that from whoever else I did I decided to stop thinking about it for the time being.

Yes, they were less sensitive than I was expecting, but I can do clean reference level and then some, that is all that I need. smile.gif
Reply
Reply
post #228 of 401
Thread Starter 
I appreciate the feedback from you both. You will be the reason I sleep tonight.
post #229 of 401
That's interesting. I have Klipsch, which are notoriously sensitive and I noticed little difference. I'll check my settings later, but I did level both of them with a meter.
post #230 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

That's interesting. I have Klipsch, which are notoriously sensitive and I noticed little difference. I'll check my settings later, but I did level both of them with a meter.

Which model of Klipsch?
Reply
Reply
post #231 of 401
Awesome build thread!!

Filtor, PM me and we can get together soon.
post #232 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Which model of Klipsch?
RB-75 - 97dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter
post #233 of 401
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Awesome build thread!!

Filtor, PM me and we can get together soon.

Will do.
post #234 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

RB-75 - 97dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter

The RB-75's have an actual sensitivity of 93/94db, so you probably did not notice much difference.
Reply
Reply
post #235 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The RB-75's have an actual sensitivity of 93/94db, so you probably did not notice much difference.
Would explain it.
post #236 of 401
Thread Starter 
I found the listed specs for the CV VS120's

VS-120 Specifications
12” 3-WAY LOUDSPEAKER

FREQ. RESPONSE: 28 Hz – 22 kHz
POWER HANDLING: 5/250 Watts RMS (Min/Max)
SENSITIVITY: 97dB (1 Watt @ 1 Meter)
IMPEDANCE: 4 Ohms
LF DRIVER: VSW12 12” Die-cast Frame
MF DRIVER: DXM4 4” Cone
HF DRIVER: VS-T2 1” Dome
CROSSOVER POINTS: 300 Hz / 6000 Hz
PROTECTION: 2.5 Amp Main Fuse (Slow Blow)
DIMENSIONS: 32” x 16.5” x 14.75” (H X W X D)
WEIGHT: 57 lbs.
MSRP: $345 each
post #237 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

I found the listed specs for the CV VS120's

VS-120 Specifications
12” 3-WAY LOUDSPEAKER

FREQ. RESPONSE: 28 Hz – 22 kHz
POWER HANDLING: 5/250 Watts RMS (Min/Max)
SENSITIVITY: 97dB (1 Watt @ 1 Meter)
IMPEDANCE: 4 Ohms
LF DRIVER: VSW12 12” Die-cast Frame
MF DRIVER: DXM4 4” Cone
HF DRIVER: VS-T2 1” Dome
CROSSOVER POINTS: 300 Hz / 6000 Hz
PROTECTION: 2.5 Amp Main Fuse (Slow Blow)
DIMENSIONS: 32” x 16.5” x 14.75” (H X W X D)
WEIGHT: 57 lbs.
MSRP: $345 each

Does Eric post the design specs for SEOS kits. The TD12M is no where near 97dB and that is why its going to be lower but you can throw some serious power at it and the dynamics are AWESOME! biggrin.gif
post #238 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

I have tried to run a phantom center. I had huge issues with dialogue. I actually stopped watching movies because of it. I tried it with my CV VS120's and with the BA CR85's.

Interesting, what AVR?? I ran phantom for 1 year with my TD12Ms designs.
post #239 of 401
ha!! don't normally hang in DIY but saw the above post...!







glad too see you posting again penn...!
post #240 of 401
correct. the SEOS-12/360/TD12M combo should be about 93DB from what Matt told me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › SEOS 12/AE TD12M Project