or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread - Page 36

post #1051 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Did you go into the audio and subtitle area of the film and click the 5.1 sound and English CC - although this probably sets it for the entire film.

More likely it's just a case of different encodes for different devices.

I would do that if I wanted to see subtitles for the entire movie. I just wanted the subtitles to show up when they're speaking in chinese like it did on Netflix on the TiVo and AppleTV.

Could you point out some times within the film when Chinese is being spoken?

I've seen this complaint before. It could be something that Roku's doing wrong in their player. I'm surprised that it continues in the new Roku Netflix player; display of subtitles could be something in code maintained by Roku.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #1052 of 1724
So am I right in assuming that there is currently no media streamer (Roku included) that does Vudu at 1080p 24fps and has a Plex app that can give media information like posters, cast lists etc?
post #1053 of 1724
^^ Popcorn Hour
post #1054 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

^^ Popcorn Hour

I thought that Popcorn Hour units did not feature "signature apps" like VUDU, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon.
post #1055 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I thought that Popcorn Hour units did not feature "signature apps" like VUDU, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon.

They don't, but you can buy an inexpensive Roku for those features to use along with a media player. No one box does it all. And any box that does most of it, doesn't do everything very well. You will need multiple boxes to to get the best options.
post #1056 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I thought that Popcorn Hour units did not feature "signature apps" like VUDU, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon.

They don't, but you can buy an inexpensive Roku for those features to use along with a media player.

Not a Roku if you want 24p VUDU like punking asked about. But he could get it from an equally inexpensive WD TV product or a Panasonic BDP.
post #1057 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by punking View Post

So am I right in assuming that there is currently no media streamer (Roku included) that does Vudu at 1080p 24fps and has a Plex app that can give media information like posters, cast lists etc?

You could try the new samsung smart media player. That does vudu @ 1080p/24 and has a plex app. May work for you,
post #1058 of 1724
I thought the point was "1080p 24fps and has a Plex app" but I guess not. The movies come from any number of sources besides Vudu.
post #1059 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Could you point out some times within the film when Chinese is being spoken?

I've seen this complaint before. It could be something that Roku's doing wrong in their player. I'm surprised that it continues in the new Roku Netflix player; display of subtitles could be something in code maintained by Roku.

I didn't want to watch the whole movie again because it's pretty bad but there is one instance at the timestamp around 12:31 where they are talking chinese to each other.
post #1060 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

You could try the new samsung smart media player. That does vudu @ 1080p/24 and has a plex app. May work for you,


Thanks I'll check it out.

I was just trying to see if it's possible to get my devices down to as few as possible. Vudu is where I have the most digital films (none of my current devices do 24fps for VUDU), DVD rips and MKVs are taken care of by xbmc (but Plex would be fine) on an HTPC, and blu-rays are played with an Oppo 93.
post #1061 of 1724
The Roku streaming stick can do 1080p24.

Neil
post #1062 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post

The Roku streaming stick can do 1080p24.

If, of course, your television has an MHL connection to plug it into.
post #1063 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Could you point out some times within the film when Chinese is being spoken?

...there is one instance at the timestamp around 12:31 where they are talking chinese to each other.

Thanks. I tried this in everything currently connected to this monitor and AVR (Roku 3, PS3, Xbox 360, WD TV Live, Panasonic DMP-BDT220, TiVo Roamio, the Win8 Netflix app, Silverlight in Chrome and HTML5 in IE11 web site players; obviously I'm bored biggrin.gif). In all of them it worked the same way: I got English subtitles with captions/subs turned off; I got no subtitles with captions/subs set to "English"; and I got Spanish subtitles with captions/subs set to Spanish.

For completeness, I plugged in my Roku 2 XS, which still has the old Roku player. In that player I could only get Spanish subtitles for the Chinese; no subtitles displayed with captions/subs set to English or with them turned off.

Of course, either way it's broken. You should get the English subtitles for Chinese when English captions are on or off and Spanish when Spanish subtitles are selected. I'll have to remember, if I'm listening to a passage of another language in an English language film and subtitles don't get displayed, that I should try turning English captions off (I usually have them on). (On the Roku 3 with the "New Netflix Experience" UI you can rotate through captions/subs options during playback with the B remote button).
Edited by michaeltscott - 11/17/13 at 9:18pm
post #1064 of 1724
Thread Starter 
Those with the updated Netflix app, does the roku maintain the .bif image files when you advance frames with the dpad? Thanks.
post #1065 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

Those with the updated Netflix app, does the roku maintain the .bif image files when you advance frames with the dpad? Thanks.

I don't understand the question. If you move through the title using LEFT, RIGHT, FF or REW, it looks like this:

Image of FF in the New Netflix Experience UI (Click to show)
PLAYMODE__0030_TRICKPLAY.jpg
post #1066 of 1724
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I don't understand the question. If you move through the title using LEFT, RIGHT, FF or REW, it looks like this:

Image of FF in the New Netflix Experience UI (Click to show)
PLAYMODE__0030_TRICKPLAY.jpg

currently in the old player, when you advance a few frames with the right dpad for example, a thumb image appears with the progress bar below it. the stream wont play until you hit play. those images are the .bif files (base index frames). i like this behaviour insteard of hitting RWD. does this still happen with the new player?

http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/BIFFileSpecification

the image you posted seems to show that bif files are still supported, but i am more interested in the advance a few frames with the dpad on the remote and the file not playing until i hit play.
post #1067 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

If, of course, your television has an MHL connection to plug it into.

Alas it doesn't. I've also discovered that the Oppo plays 4:3 Vudu material in the wrong aspect ration. Easily fixed, but still...
post #1068 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

... i am more interested in the advance a few frames with the dpad on the remote and the file not playing until i hit play.
Same as before. Frame (thumbnail) won’t play until hit play.
post #1069 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

the image you posted seems to show that bif files are still supported, but i am more interested in the advance a few frames with the dpad on the remote and the file not playing until i hit play.

As I said above, "If you move through the title using LEFT, RIGHT, FF or REW..." (emphasis added) you see the same thing (w/o the FF icon). It doesn't play again until you press PLAY or OK or PAUSE.
post #1070 of 1724
I love the new Netflix UI and it looks just like the PS3 but performance so far is better than the PS3. I hate though that the Roku has autoplay. Being able to turn that off and Super HD for the regular 1080p 3850kbps streams is a feature I want.
post #1071 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

I love the new Netflix UI and it looks just like the PS3 but performance so far is better than the PS3. I hate though that the Roku has autoplay. Being able to turn that off and Super HD for the regular 1080p 3850kbps streams is a feature I want.

+1.
its seem much faster and better on the roku 3 then the ps3.

Jacob
post #1072 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

I love the new Netflix UI and it looks just like the PS3 but performance so far is better than the PS3. I hate though that the Roku has autoplay. Being able to turn that off and Super HD for the regular 1080p 3850kbps streams is a feature I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

+1.
its seem much faster and better on the roku 3 then the ps3.

Jacob

+1 I'm liking the new Netflix interface...

Mike cool.gif
post #1073 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

... One thing which bugs me more as I use this player is that they omitted a "Play from beginning" option from the title menus, as well as the "Audio & subtitles" menu. You can very rapidly rewind to the beginning (the 3X speed est très grand vitesse) and set the desired audio and captions/subtitles option when playback begins but I'd prefer to do that before starting. Perhaps they'll revisit this decision rolleyes.gif.....

btw, audio change (in the new Netflix) via "Audio & subtitles" menu will only remain for this session until exit. The default audio settings is now from Roku’s global audio settings (same as all other channels, e.g., amazon, hbo go, vudu, m-go …)

R3 global audio settings = home > settings > Audio mode > “Surround sound” or “Stereo”

i'd say the "Audio & subtitles" menu can be handy (to change/stream PCM encodes instead of 5.1DD+ encodes), if someone (w/ legacy avr) sets global audio settings to “Surround sound”.
post #1074 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post


btw, audio change (in the new Netflix) via "Audio & subtitles" menu will only remain for this session until exit. The default audio settings is now from Roku’s global audio settings (same as all other channels, e.g., amazon, hbo go, vudu, m-go …)

R3 global audio settings = home > settings > Audio mode > “Surround sound” or “Stereo”

i'd say the "Audio & subtitles" menu can be handy (to change/stream PCM encodes instead of 5.1DD+ encodes), if someone (w/ legacy avr) sets global audio settings to “Surround sound”.

Note that, if you use the Roku remote, you can rotate through the audio settings with the A remote button and through captions/subtitle options with the B remote buttons. Sadly those buttons have no apparent IR equivalent.

Note also that the new Roku Netflix player is controllable via DIAL. You can run the Android or iOS Netflix client on a tablet or phone; it will discover your Roku 3 as a DIAL device on your LAN which can then be selected to display whatever you play. It will start the Netflix player from anywhere if it's not currently running. (Unfortunately on Roku it brings up the "which profile" query and sits there until you select one, after which it starts playing what you asked for in the tablet/phone app). There's a time control that you can slide to any point in the title instantly and you can set the audio and subtitle options. It is extremely cool.
post #1075 of 1724
Has anyone compared the Roku 2 xs vs the Roku 2 that looks identicall to the Roku 3? Is it just visually different or a whole new beast?

http://m.roku.com/products/roku-2

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-XS-1080p-Streaming-Player/dp/B005CLPP84
post #1076 of 1724
I wonder that too.
post #1077 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post

Has anyone compared the Roku 2 xs vs the Roku 2 that looks identicall to the Roku 3? Is it just visually different or a whole new beast?

http://m.roku.com/products/roku-2

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-XS-1080p-Streaming-Player/dp/B005CLPP84

Prior to the introduction of the Roku 3, the Roku 2 XS was the flagship of their product line. Like the Roku 3 it has a motion sensitive gaming remote, an Ethernet connection, a USB connection for playing media on USB storage devices, and a micro SD card slot for additional channel memory (I believe that you have to have a LOT of channels for that to become necessary; possibly games take up more space than streaming channels).

The new Roku 2 uses the same processor as the Roku 2 XS but has superior dual band WiFi and a WiFi-Direct-based non-motion-sensitive remote with a headphone jack. The Roku 3's remote is similar (also WiDi with a headphone jack), but is a motion sensitive game controller; the Roku 2 XS' remote is Bluetooth. The new Roku 2's remote has a bunch of channel shortcut buttons (Netflix, Amazon, Blockbuster, etc) which aren't on the Roku 2 XS' remote.

You can see a comparison chart featuring every Roku model ever made here in Wikipedia.
Edited by michaeltscott - 11/24/13 at 11:37pm
post #1078 of 1724
All the comments I've seen from people who have both the Roku 2 XS and the Roku 3 say that the faster processor in the Roku 3 is nice to have for navigating menus and loading apps with snappy response. And the headphone jack in the remote is a nice extra feature if that's something you would use. But Roku did give the Roku 2 XS the same updated user interface as the Roku 3, and it supports exactly the same channels and services, and it's not particularly slow. The 2 XS also has the composite AV output that the Roku 3 lacks. The Roku 3 has dual-band WiFi, but most people find that the 5 GHz band has a shorter range than 2.4 GHz, so that would be of more use to you in a small condo with lots of neighbors crowding the 2.4 GHz band rather than a suburban house where range is more important.
post #1079 of 1724
I'll keep my roku 2 xs then. It is pretty slow navigating the channels though.
post #1080 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post

I'll keep my roku 2 xs then. It is pretty slow navigating the channels though.

I have both and have noticed that the 3 is faster and has better WiFi reception. I only purchased a Roku 3 because I wanted units for additional TV's. I wouldn't upgrade "just to upgrade".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread