or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread - Page 33

post #961 of 1724
Man, Netflix Super HD looks good!


Comcast

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/70111596?strkid=696764205_0_0&trkid=222336&movieid=70111596

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #962 of 1724
Apart from the "SuperHD" appearing in the Netflix title description, is there any indicator that the 1080p version is playing once the title is fully buffered?

I only have a 46" panel and it's hard to discern from my normal viewing distance.
post #963 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post

Apart from the "SuperHD" appearing in the Netflix title description, is there any indicator that the 1080p version is playing once the title is fully buffered?

I only have a 46" panel and it's hard to discern from my normal viewing distance.

Not on all devices. Some can display this stream info overlay; of the things that I have these include PS3, a Sony BDP-S390, TiVo Roamio and WD TV Live. You can bring up the Stream Manager in the PC web player and Win8 Netflix app with CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-S. As a kind of sanity check you can play "Example Short 23.976", a clip with bit rate/resolution information burned into each of its component video encodes.
post #964 of 1724
By the way Michael you have a TiVo Roamio. How is the GUI on Netflix and is it reliable with it ramp up quickly and staying there? Thanks.
post #965 of 1724
^^ Nothing to do with Roku.
post #966 of 1724
It ramps up quickly to Super HD on the Roamio just like it ramps up quickly on the Roku3. At least that has been my experience on FiOS. Not sure if michaelscott has had the same experience from his ISP.

Although I am using my Roamio Pro as my main Netflix device now. My Roku3 used to be my main device to view Netflix streaming.
post #967 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

By the way Michael you have a TiVo Roamio. How is the GUI on Netflix ...

It's the Netflix "Standard UI" similar to PS3. Navigation is pretty responsive, which cannot be said for that UI on any of the other devices I have it on except the PS3. It does ramp up quickly and is stable.

I have a close friend who's an engineer at TiVo (he was my office mate for a couple of years). He got me the TiVo employee "Friends and Family" deal. This time I chose to eschew Product Lifetime Service and got the basic (4-tuner, 500 GB) Roamio for $150. with a locked-in $10/month service rate. I sold my Premiere w/PLS for $350.
post #968 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

As a kind of sanity check you can play "Example Short 23.976", a clip with bit rate/resolution information burned into each of its component video encodes.

Thanks for that. Cleared things up immediately.

post #969 of 1724
Off-topic, sorry.

But does anyone know how to get threads/subscriptions to show the most recent page or posts instead of the very first page of the thread (oldest posts)?

I haven't been able to find it since the new AVS Forum theme came on. I know, that's been a while...

Thanks for any help. smile.gif
post #970 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

Off-topic, sorry.

But does anyone know how to get threads/subscriptions to show the most recent page or posts instead of the very first page of the thread (oldest posts)?

I haven't been able to find it since the new AVS Forum theme came on. I know, that's been a while...

Thanks for any help. smile.gif

If you look at the "My Subscriptions" page of your User CP on the right side of every thread with a new post is the user name of the most recent poster. Under that name is the date and time of the post; mouse over that timestamp and it'll pop up a little bit of the beginning of that post (if you have it set up right; I recall that it can be set to always show that beneath that posters name). Left-click that timestamp and it'll take you to that post.

This is also true of posts listed in a view of an entire forum.
post #971 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

Off-topic, sorry.

But does anyone know how to get threads/subscriptions to show the most recent page or posts instead of the very first page of the thread (oldest posts)?

I haven't been able to find it since the new AVS Forum theme came on. I know, that's been a while...

Thanks for any help. smile.gif

I always click on the Subscriptions link at the top right of the AVS Home Page. It will show unread posts in your subscribed threads in a red circle.

After clicking the Subscriptions link, it takes you to your subscriptions activity with unread/new posts shown with red circles again. Note: Make sure you have the ACTIVITY tab active (AVS Forum will remember your last setting).

Clicking on the top line of each thread takes you to the most recent/unread posts.
post #972 of 1724
If you are using an iPad to view, make sure you choose "Mobile" instead of "Desktop" at the bottom of this page. For some reason my browser reverted to Desktop mode after the ios7 update and it was driving me crazy not seeing the last unread post for each of my subscriptions.
post #973 of 1724
Does anyone know when Netflix profiles will be implemented for Roku? This is crazy that all other devices have it except Roku.
post #974 of 1724
Android apps don't have Netflix profiles yet either.
post #975 of 1724
Google tv has it, but I prefer Roku.
post #976 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo View Post

Does anyone know when Netflix profiles will be implemented for Roku? This is crazy that all other devices have it except Roku.
The original press release from Netflix announcing Profiles stated that it would be coming to Roku next year however a Roku rep stated on their Facebook page a couple of times that they expect it before the end of this year.
post #977 of 1724
Thanks. I also hope they update the Netflix interface to more closely resemble Google TV's interface, especially with regards to TV series (I like how it displays each episode and detail for each season compared to the Roku way). I prefer using Roku for several reasons, but the Netflix interface on it is my least favorite across other devices I've seen (Apple TV, Google TV, WDTV). Maybe I'm in the minority with this opinion. It's funny how different they all are between devices.
post #978 of 1724
Thinking about a Roku3 .......How is the Pandora app in terms of seconds between songs and does it have a screen saver?
post #979 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

Thinking about a Roku3 .......How is the Pandora app in terms of seconds between songs and does it have a screen saver?
The switching is very fast, no lag at all and yes, there is a screen saver setting on the Roku that you can adjust the time it kicks in, mine is set for 5 minutes. I like pandora a lot and use it often.
post #980 of 1724
Thank you!
post #981 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

The switching is very fast, no lag at all and yes, there is a screen saver setting on the Roku that you can adjust the time it kicks in, mine is set for 5 minutes. I like pandora a lot and use it often.

I never knew you could set that. I like to have screensavers set to off. i'll need to look for that option the next time I play Pandora from my Roku.
post #982 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL-F1 View Post

Anyone else having issues where every once in awhile the volume is super low?

Nobody has this issue?
post #983 of 1724
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL-F1 View Post

Nobody has this issue?

nope, i never encountered it
post #984 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL-F1 View Post

Nobody has this issue?
I've never observed this.
post #985 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I never knew you could set that. I like to have screensavers set to off. i'll need to look for that option the next time I play Pandora from my Roku.
As far as I figure, setting the screensaver on the Roku 3 activates the screensaver when using Pandora. There is no setting for a screensaver on the channel itself. When I start listening to Pandora it is a static screen with the album cover on the left and info on the right. After 5 minutes all that you see is the album cover that moves around the display screen automatically.
post #986 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

I've never observed this.

Interesting. Thank you. I guess the issue must be with my AVR
post #987 of 1724
My experience is just the reverse...........................i normally have to turn down the volume on my avr when switching from satellite programming to the Roku 3.
post #988 of 1724
I spent this afternoon comparing the Roku 3 to the Chromecast. My conclusions surprised me.
My main concern is quality of image on my 96" screen. I thought the Roku would have the clear advantage if using the wired option. It wasn't even close. There was no discernable difference and it really looked only slightly better than SD on a HD program.
I have no dog in this fight and would prefer the Roku interface and wired option but the Chromecast clearly was better and looked HD. I used the same show of course for comparison.
So before I return this, has anyone initially had poor image quality they were able to correct?
post #989 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnperry View Post

I spent this afternoon comparing the Roku 3 to the Chromecast. My conclusions surprised me.
My main concern is quality of image on my 96" screen. I thought the Roku would have the clear advantage if using the wired option. It wasn't even close. There was no discernable difference and it really looked only slightly better than SD on a HD program.
I have no dog in this fight and would prefer the Roku interface and wired option but the Chromecast clearly was better and looked HD. I used the same show of course for comparison.
So before I return this, has anyone initially had poor image quality they were able to correct?

Nothing the Roku streams uses much bandwidth. Whether wired or wireless the experience should be identical. (It always has been in my use of wired and wireless Rokus) Unless the WiFi networked it's connecting to is somehow messed up. But even using slow wireless G, that is more than enough bandwidth for the streaming services.
post #990 of 1724
I've used Roku 3, Apple TV 3 and now Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV, and all of them are pretty much the same. However, I like the Google TV UI much better. Roku UI is probably the most horrible interface I've ever use.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread