or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp 60LE650U/70LE650U/80 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp 60LE650U/70LE650U/80 Owner's Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasdag View Post

I will come back to read this whole thread tomorrow, just found it from a quick search. I bought the 60LE650U for $999 from my local Sears, and I bought it with $1000 worth of gift cards bought from my super market, so to get the fuel perks, I will get appx $75-100 worth of free gas to fill up my truck a couple times by buying it this way. So if I do end up wanting to return it, it will be good for Sears store credit only, since I used gift cards. I found that risk to be acceptable.
After watching 1080i HD DVR from Time Warner Cable the last few days, I was thoroughly impressed. PS3 games were as good as expected. Tonight I watched my first 1080p blu ray, and I was disappointed to find the clouding/light bleed is an apparent problem in my panel, in both the right and left lower corners, most prominently in the right lower corner. My question is, has everyone with an LE650 who experienced a lightbleeding/clouding issue, who then got a replacement tv of the exact same model tv, was the problem solved? Did everyone's replacement tv NOT have any of this issue? IE perfect uniformity? Is it just a roll of the dice with these edge lit leds? I just wonder if I should accept it as is and not bother returning it. I have a truck and can easily return it to Sears, I've only had it a week. I'm just thinking if I should go to a Samsung led or *gasp* a plasma, with no uniformity issues, and suffer with reflections and glare when its' bright and sunny. But this is cloudy Ohio where I live, and not often sunny lol. Anyway, just wondering if I go get a new 60LE650 exchanged at Sears, if I'm going to set it up and see the same clouding/bleeding BS, except maybe at a different corner or part of the screen.

Screen uniformity is indeed not one of the strong points of these Sharp TV's. They are known to have screen uniformity issues, so the answer to your question is, no, there are no Sharp 640/650U TV's that have "perfect" uniformity. Although at that price point for a 60" TV, that's as good as one can expect... This is not only an issue with Sharp, but other brands at these lower price points have similar issues. To get "perfect" screen uniformity on an LED, one has to pay quite a bit more... or, one can get plasma which truly has perfect uniformity, however has it's own separate set of possible issues... Anyway, don't expect "perfection", but check if the unavoidable imperfection is small enough that it does not really distract during regular content viewing. If one really looks for it, one can find imperfections on just about any TV (unless it's a top of the line expensive set), but if you just watch the content without searching for issues and nothing jumps at you as a noticeable distraction, then I'd say there is no point in exchanging it, as you will not get the perfect uniformity on a replacement set either... If it's really bad though, and you see it constantly during regular viewing, then certainly give a new set a try... Hope that helps and good luck smile.gif
post #122 of 503
I tired the "massaging" technique detailed here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1125227/possible-permanent-backlight-bleed-fix-for-lcd-tvs-and-monitors-w-disclaimer

and this made the clouding/flashlighting noticeably WORSE on my 60LE650... What used to be a very faint ghosting effect is now alot more visible. I'm packing up this sharp and taking it back to Sears. I'm going to try to get their last Panasonic P60ST60 plasma which is the floor model. It probably has 500-1000 hours on it, but if I get a good enough discount, it looked perfect to me yesterday,
post #123 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovach View Post

The only thing I just noticed today while watching a hockey game when panning across a bright area like the ice was sort of a light very faint oval...in maybe the middle 3rd of the screen. Almost like a dust oval about an inch thick on the screen.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I went back to Future Shop to take another peek at their demo model and found that the oval patch was in the exact same place.

Another artifact I've noticed is a pair of dark diagonal lines/shadows coming out from the bottom corners of the screen. They're only really noticeable on solid backgrounds, like while watching an animated show such as South Park or Family Guy. The shadowed lines come up about 2-3 inches from the corners. Once again, Future Shop's demo model exhibited the exact same problem.

That being said, considering the horror stories other people tell about severe flash lighting, clouding, etc., I feel like I'm splitting hairs when it comes to issues like these. I have to face the reality that I'm not gonna find a better 70" model in this price range... the only one that came close was the Sony R550, but that suffered from significant bleeding of blue during dark scenes. Heck, I've even seen the "shadow" effect on Samsung's expensive 8000 series, so obviously throwing more money at this won't necessarily produce a better image.

Meanwhile, I already tried going down the Plasma path in the summer but I was very unhappy with the dithering (i.e. "snow") noise that I could easily see while sitting 10 feet away. I guess the only way to get close to perfection is to go the OLED route, but we're still a few years away from getting sane prices (and hopefully non-curved screens).
post #124 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visor View Post

Yeah, I noticed that too. I went back to Future Shop to take another peek at their demo model and found that the oval patch was in the exact same place.

Another artifact I've noticed is a pair of dark diagonal lines/shadows coming out from the bottom corners of the screen. They're only really noticeable on solid backgrounds, like while watching an animated show such as South Park or Family Guy. The shadowed lines come up about 2-3 inches from the corners. Once again, Future Shop's demo model exhibited the exact same problem.

That being said, considering the horror stories other people tell about severe flash lighting, clouding, etc., I feel like I'm splitting hairs when it comes to issues like these. I have to face the reality that I'm not gonna find a better 70" model in this price range... the only one that came close was the Sony R550, but that suffered from significant bleeding of blue during dark scenes. Heck, I've even seen the "shadow" effect on Samsung's expensive 8000 series, so obviously throwing more money at this won't necessarily produce a better image.

Meanwhile, I already tried going down the Plasma path in the summer but I was very unhappy with the dithering (i.e. "snow") noise that I could easily see while sitting 10 feet away. I guess the only way to get close to perfection is to go the OLED route, but we're still a few years away from getting sane prices (and hopefully non-curved screens).

I did call Best Buy and asked about a replacement, they said would be covered under warranty but they'd have to send Geek Squad out first to verify the issue, which they did, he saw it, and I returned for a new one which does not have the issue.

Kind of distressing to know that this is starting to sound like it could be rather common but I could not be happier with this set now!
post #125 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovach View Post

I did call Best Buy and asked about a replacement, they said would be covered under warranty but they'd have to send Geek Squad out first to verify the issue, which they did, he saw it, and I returned for a new one which does not have the issue.

Oh really? That's very interesting... I still have 2 days left on my 30-day return policy, but given the fact that I don't have a truck, and that Future Shop will be crazy-busy with returns for the next week, I may have to go the warranty route and see if their Geek Squad (or equivalent) can review it and get it replaced.
post #126 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visor View Post

Yeah, I noticed that too. I went back to Future Shop to take another peek at their demo model and found that the oval patch was in the exact same place.

Another artifact I've noticed is a pair of dark diagonal lines/shadows coming out from the bottom corners of the screen. They're only really noticeable on solid backgrounds, like while watching an animated show such as South Park or Family Guy. The shadowed lines come up about 2-3 inches from the corners. Once again, Future Shop's demo model exhibited the exact same problem.

That being said, considering the horror stories other people tell about severe flash lighting, clouding, etc., I feel like I'm splitting hairs when it comes to issues like these. I have to face the reality that I'm not gonna find a better 70" model in this price range... the only one that came close was the Sony R550, but that suffered from significant bleeding of blue during dark scenes. Heck, I've even seen the "shadow" effect on Samsung's expensive 8000 series, so obviously throwing more money at this won't necessarily produce a better image.

Meanwhile, I already tried going down the Plasma path in the summer but I was very unhappy with the dithering (i.e. "snow") noise that I could easily see while sitting 10 feet away. I guess the only way to get close to perfection is to go the OLED route, but we're still a few years away from getting sane prices (and hopefully non-curved screens).

You don't really have to wait for OLED for a fantastic or "perfect" picture. Panasonic's ST60 for example has an astonishing picture quality and it's just over $1000 (I think you can get it for $1200 or so)... It's a plasma, but a a good plasma where the dithering you were describing is not an issue at all... Apart from the Sharp, I have the Panasonic's VT50 model, which has a mind-blowing picture quality with perfect screen uniformity, perfect color accuracy (especially if you calibrate it), deep inky blacks... This was the first TV to beat Pioneer's legendary Kuro... Anyway, OLED is just starting, way overpriced, and is actually similar to plasma in some ways (including the burn-in issue one will have to be careful with)... My guess is OLED will take several years till it's truly perfected, plus let's not forget reasonably priced biggrin.gif
post #127 of 503
Was shopping with a friend helping him decide between the samsung 65f7100 and the sharp 70le755u. I know this is the 650 forum but for the same price 2199 at bestbuy my friend bought the 70 sharp. Personally I'm a samsung guy but how has everyone's experience been with these sharp large led tv's?
post #128 of 503

Hi everybody.

 

I couldn't find a thread about the model I want to buy LC-50LE652E (dutch market) and decided to post here as its model independent question. What about youtube streaming? I know that these models support youtube but I want to stream videos from my iphone (primarily)/galaxy s3 from native youtube app directly to the tv. This is possible with combinations galaxy s3 -> samsung f6400 with some extra settings on smartphone side and iphone -> samsung f6400 without any settings at all. There is an icon appears in the right-bottom corner and I can choose a video device. Is this possible with the subject TVs as well and which feature is responsible for this? Smart platform? Just want to make sure I ll get what I want ;)

 

Thanks a lot.

post #129 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabih786 View Post

Was shopping with a friend helping him decide between the samsung 65f7100 and the sharp 70le755u. I know this is the 650 forum but for the same price 2199 at bestbuy my friend bought the 70 sharp. Personally I'm a samsung guy but how has everyone's experience been with these sharp large led tv's?

In reviews of many Sharp and Samsung models (e.g. check cnet.com and such sites where pro's take an in-depth look at each set, measure the color accuracy, depth of blacks, etc), and Sharp has often scored better in black levels for example (which is the biggest challenge for LED's and one of the most important aspects when producing good quality picture). IMHO Sharp is better in low to mid range priced sets, while Samsung is good at higher priced sets... For specific sets you and your friend are looking into, I highly suggest reading reviews on cnet and such and getting a better understanding of each model's strengths and weaknesses. In-store comparison is no good, as all TV's in stores are running in "torch" mode and are not a good representation of how the TV will perform in real viewing environment... Hope that helps, and good luck...
post #130 of 503
can someone please tell me if discrete IR codes are available for this?
post #131 of 503
As to watching YouTube video on the sharp screen. I did it earlier today. As on my HTC it shows that another screen is available and can then transfer over to the bigger screen. The only thing on mine is that it sometimes gets hung up. Therefore I use the app on the tv. I preset the smart channel buttons on the buttons to go directly to YouTube with out needing to go through the smart function selection. Danke u well.
post #132 of 503
I picked up a 60LE650U today to replace my five year old Mitsubishi DLP that's becoming a money pit. I have it hooked up now and have experimented a little with the AV Modes, but not much else. I haven't tried to calibrate it yet or anything like that, but I like it so far.

I bought the set at Sears today for $999. Sears Card is also offering 18 months with no interest. I think I did pretty good and so far, I'm happy with the TV. I looking forward to applying some of the video settings and really fine tuning this set.
post #133 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

You don't really have to wait for OLED for a fantastic or "perfect" picture. Panasonic's ST60 for example has an astonishing picture quality and it's just over $1000 (I think you can get it for $1200 or so)... It's a plasma, but a a good plasma where the dithering you were describing is not an issue at all... Apart from the Sharp, I have the Panasonic's VT50 model, which has a mind-blowing picture quality with perfect screen uniformity, perfect color accuracy (especially if you calibrate it), deep inky blacks... This was the first TV to beat Pioneer's legendary Kuro... Anyway, OLED is just starting, way overpriced, and is actually similar to plasma in some ways (including the burn-in issue one will have to be careful with)... My guess is OLED will take several years till it's truly perfected, plus let's not forget reasonably priced biggrin.gif

Typical prices I've seen for an ST60 start at $1300 CDN, and that's only for the 50" model. A 60" model is $1900 and a 65" model is $2400. Plus, what with Panasonic's announcement of discontinuing their Plasma line, these units are becoming more difficult to find. All of that said, I've seen an ST60 but the dithering is still there. I've been told that the VT60 doesn't exhibit the dithering, but that's getting way out of my price range.

One of the reasons that I went the LED-backlit route was for size. I was replacing my 52" CCFL-backlit screen, and going to 65" just didn't give a big enough difference to warrant the purchase. 70" is the minimum, and I would love to go 80" if I can find a screen that has good uniformity (I've seen the 80" Sharp LE650's but the uniformity around the edges is actually pretty bad). Before someone suggests it, I have no interest in going the projector route... I helped calibrate one for my friend a few years ago and I was appalled by how poor the black levels were. Even if projectors have improved somewhat in the past couple of years, I live in a condo and I have no desire to install a system in a relatively tight space, paint my walls dark, etc.

Meanwhile, I've been to 3 Best Buys / Future Shops and all the 60 & 70" LE550 and 650 units exhibit the diagonal line/shadow issue at the bottom corners. I wasn't able to verify the "white blob" issue as none of them were playing hockey games. tongue.gifKovach, did your old set (or your new set) have the diagonal line/shadow issue? As I mentioned, you'll have to watch something with a solid background like Family Guy or South Park in order to really see it.
post #134 of 503
I wanted to chime in as both of my tv experiences are being discussed here. A week ago I bought an LC-60LE650 and had it in my living room for 5 days. I noticed edge light bleeding on day 2 watching a Bluray at night, and by day 4 I could not focus on anything but that glaring defect in my new $1000 purchase. It was bad enough to distract me, and I could not live with it. On day 5 I packed it up and returned it to Sears and jumped ship and went to the Panasonic 60ST60 for $1499. $500 more but I knew Panasonic plasmas and have seen many of them in people's houses over the last few years, and I didn't want to roll the dice on another LED having edge bleed. Uniformity and picture quality, I can now say, are the most important factors for me. Couldn't be happier with the ST60. It is such a beautiful picture. One of my best friends has found a reason to come over to my place every night the last 3 nights lol, just to watch this amazing tv. I have the PS3 hooked up to netflix streaming a variety of 3D movies to the ST60 and they look fantastic. I haven't adjusted settings to even look that good yet, or the 3D settings to make things pop and adjust the depth of 3D. I am still doing the break-in procedure and I will play colored slideshows overnight for the first 200 hours. After that, they say the screen is sufficiently aged and broken in to where you will most likely not have any image retention or burn in issues. The picture is perfectand the black is perfect. Well worth the $500 increase to have this picture quality not to mention 3D and a bunch of apps, and the "swipe and share" kind of app where you can slide a pic, song, or video from your ipad and it will appear on the Plasma. Just slide your finger on the ipad towards the top of the screen and it's now streamed to the plasma. Hottness I tell you! I will not miss that $500 one bit, and I hope this beauty lasts me a decade. Just wanted to share my experiences of initial frustration with the Sharp and utter satisfaction with the Panasonic. Good luck to everyone with their tv's!
post #135 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visor View Post

Typical prices I've seen for an ST60 start at $1300 CDN, and that's only for the 50" model. A 60" model is $1900 and a 65" model is $2400. Plus, what with Panasonic's announcement of discontinuing their Plasma line, these units are becoming more difficult to find. All of that said, I've seen an ST60 but the dithering is still there. I've been told that the VT60 doesn't exhibit the dithering, but that's getting way out of my price range.

One of the reasons that I went the LED-backlit route was for size. I was replacing my 52" CCFL-backlit screen, and going to 65" just didn't give a big enough difference to warrant the purchase. 70" is the minimum, and I would love to go 80" if I can find a screen that has good uniformity (I've seen the 80" Sharp LE650's but the uniformity around the edges is actually pretty bad). Before someone suggests it, I have no interest in going the projector route... I helped calibrate one for my friend a few years ago and I was appalled by how poor the black levels were. Even if projectors have improved somewhat in the past couple of years, I live in a condo and I have no desire to install a system in a relatively tight space, paint my walls dark, etc.

Meanwhile, I've been to 3 Best Buys / Future Shops and all the 60 & 70" LE550 and 650 units exhibit the diagonal line/shadow issue at the bottom corners. I wasn't able to verify the "white blob" issue as none of them were playing hockey games. tongue.gifKovach, did your old set (or your new set) have the diagonal line/shadow issue? As I mentioned, you'll have to watch something with a solid background like Family Guy or South Park in order to really see it.

Sure, the bigger sizes may be a couple of hundred more (I wasn't really checking the prices lately)... IMO a couple of hundred up or down isn't that big of a deal when buying a TV that's supposed to last several years, but that's just me... Btw. I'm a bit surprised that you are seeing the dithering on an ST60, I'd guess you must be really looking for it, plus at somewhat close distance... Granted, I have the VT50 which is the top of the line and twice the price of the ST60, but one can't see any dithering, unless you are maybe inches from the screen and looking for it closely... Anyway, it is indeed sad that Panasonic is exiting plasma while their plasmas are the best TV's on the market at "mortal" prices. Hopefully they'll continue the unbeatable picture quality in OLED's going forward...

Btw, I think all edge lit Sharp LED's will have those corner/diagonal lighting issues, which are based simply on the distribution of the LED's along the edges of the screen. My understanding is that there is no LED positioned in the exact corner, so it projects a darkened linear area in those corners... Again, I'm pretty sure you won't find the perfect uniformity on any of these edge lit LED's since these issues are simply inherent to the technology... Anyway, certainly good luck and I hope you find the solution you are happy with....
post #136 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasdag View Post

I wanted to chime in as both of my tv experiences are being discussed here. A week ago I bought an LC-60LE650 and had it in my living room for 5 days. I noticed edge light bleeding on day 2 watching a Bluray at night, and by day 4 I could not focus on anything but that glaring defect in my new $1000 purchase. It was bad enough to distract me, and I could not live with it. On day 5 I packed it up and returned it to Sears and jumped ship and went to the Panasonic 60ST60 for $1499. $500 more but I knew Panasonic plasmas and have seen many of them in people's houses over the last few years, and I didn't want to roll the dice on another LED having edge bleed. Uniformity and picture quality, I can now say, are the most important factors for me. Couldn't be happier with the ST60. It is such a beautiful picture. One of my best friends has found a reason to come over to my place every night the last 3 nights lol, just to watch this amazing tv. I have the PS3 hooked up to netflix streaming a variety of 3D movies to the ST60 and they look fantastic. I haven't adjusted settings to even look that good yet, or the 3D settings to make things pop and adjust the depth of 3D. I am still doing the break-in procedure and I will play colored slideshows overnight for the first 200 hours. After that, they say the screen is sufficiently aged and broken in to where you will most likely not have any image retention or burn in issues. The picture is perfectand the black is perfect. Well worth the $500 increase to have this picture quality not to mention 3D and a bunch of apps, and the "swipe and share" kind of app where you can slide a pic, song, or video from your ipad and it will appear on the Plasma. Just slide your finger on the ipad towards the top of the screen and it's now streamed to the plasma. Hottness I tell you! I will not miss that $500 one bit, and I hope this beauty lasts me a decade. Just wanted to share my experiences of initial frustration with the Sharp and utter satisfaction with the Panasonic. Good luck to everyone with their tv's!

I hear you... I bought a Sharp LED only as a "beat-up" TV for gaming and stuff, but in terms of picture quality nothing comes close to my Panasonic VT50.... Enjoy your TV smile.gif
post #137 of 503
Beyond the issues of screen uniformity and the considerable amount of time spent covering that topic. I would like to know if anyone is having any other issues with their tv. Mine has had an issue with it freezing up, requiring it to be unplugged to be able to resolve the issue. I have also had to completely reset and restart the tv from square one. I recently bought a Skype camera for it and set it up. Works fine once but if tv is turned off, the app is non functioning and won't work at all when the tv is turned back on. Only work around so far is to reset tv and start from the initial ez setup, each time I want to Skype with family. Trying to work with customer support but not able to have it resolved as yet. Anyone with any similar issues? Appreciate some feedback.
post #138 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

Sure, the bigger sizes may be a couple of hundred more (I wasn't really checking the prices lately)... IMO a couple of hundred up or down isn't that big of a deal when buying a TV that's supposed to last several years, but that's just me...
As I indicated above, the 60" was $600 more than the 50", and the 65" was $500 more than the 60". Just wanted to be clear that we are talking about more than just a couple hundred up and down wink.gif At least since purchasing my Sharp, the price has come down twice and I've been able to get back $300 thanks to price protection. $2000 for a 70" Smart TV in Canada ain't bad at all. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

Btw. I'm a bit surprised that you are seeing the dithering on an ST60, I'd guess you must be really looking for it, plus at somewhat close distance...
I was looking at the ST60 from a close distance at a store while watching a Blu-ray of The Dark Knight. However, the dithering looked identical to what I saw on the S60 that I briefly owned, and I first caught it while sitting 10 feet away. Of course, once you see an artifact, it's always easy to spot after that. tongue.gif

By the way, the Dirty Screen Effect (DSE) that both myself and kovach were seeing apparently happens with plasmas as well, as the DSE is caused by the anti-reflective (AR) filter not being applied uniformly, as this article indicates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

Btw, I think all edge lit Sharp LED's will have those corner/diagonal lighting issues, which are based simply on the distribution of the LED's along the edges of the screen. My understanding is that there is no LED positioned in the exact corner, so it projects a darkened linear area in those corners... Again, I'm pretty sure you won't find the perfect uniformity on any of these edge lit LED's since these issues are simply inherent to the technology... Anyway, certainly good luck and I hope you find the solution you are happy with....
I'm actually fairly happy with the overall uniformity... there isn't any noticeable clouding or flashlighting with the unit. The only two artifacts I've found are the shading in the bottom corners (which I think I can live with over the long term) and the DSE blotching that only occurs while panning horizontally in bright scenes (such as hockey games). I don't watch hockey games myself, but my girlfriend is a huge fan and is trying to convert me, so this may be a problem for me down the line. tongue.gif Kovach lucked out as he apparently got a replacement that was DSE-free, but from what I've read from other threads/reviews on the general DSE issue, finding a unit without this problem could be very challenging. As I mentioned, the demo unit in the store had the DSE splotch in the exact same place, which suggests to me that there was a widespread defect in the application of the AR filter.

I still have 6 days to decide if I want to return the unit (good ol' Future Shop extended their return policy to Jan. 5th because of the Holidays). If I do take it back then I'm not sure what I'd get in its place. I may just move my 52" CCFL-backlit Sony back to the living room and play the waiting game.
post #139 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visor View Post

As I indicated above, the 60" was $600 more than the 50", and the 65" was $500 more than the 60". Just wanted to be clear that we are talking about more than just a couple hundred up and down wink.gif At least since purchasing my Sharp, the price has come down twice and I've been able to get back $300 thanks to price protection. $2000 for a 70" Smart TV in Canada ain't bad at all. wink.gif
I was looking at the ST60 from a close distance at a store while watching a Blu-ray of The Dark Knight. However, the dithering looked identical to what I saw on the S60 that I briefly owned, and I first caught it while sitting 10 feet away. Of course, once you see an artifact, it's always easy to spot after that. tongue.gif

By the way, the Dirty Screen Effect (DSE) that both myself and kovach were seeing apparently happens with plasmas as well, as the DSE is caused by the anti-reflective (AR) filter not being applied uniformly, as this article indicates.
I'm actually fairly happy with the overall uniformity... there isn't any noticeable clouding or flashlighting with the unit. The only two artifacts I've found are the shading in the bottom corners (which I think I can live with over the long term) and the DSE blotching that only occurs while panning horizontally in bright scenes (such as hockey games). I don't watch hockey games myself, but my girlfriend is a huge fan and is trying to convert me, so this may be a problem for me down the line. tongue.gif Kovach lucked out as he apparently got a replacement that was DSE-free, but from what I've read from other threads/reviews on the general DSE issue, finding a unit without this problem could be very challenging. As I mentioned, the demo unit in the store had the DSE splotch in the exact same place, which suggests to me that there was a widespread defect in the application of the AR filter.

I still have 6 days to decide if I want to return the unit (good ol' Future Shop extended their return policy to Jan. 5th because of the Holidays). If I do take it back then I'm not sure what I'd get in its place. I may just move my 52" CCFL-backlit Sony back to the living room and play the waiting game.

LOL, ok agreed, 500 or 600 bucks is more than a couple of hundred, although even that is not the biggest deal if you consider you can finance it over 18 or 24 months at zero interest at many retailers, so it amounts to like 20 bucks a month... But you are right, and one has to draw the line somewhere - I certainly understand everyone has different budgets to work with. I just still think that for that money the ST60 is an incredible value for the picture quality you get, and it is far less expensive than OLED - I guess that's what I was ultimately trying to point out smile.gif

I get your point on it being difficult to ignore once you discover any kind of flaw or artifact in the picture... Believe me I am quite the perfectionist myself, which is why anything less than the VT50 wasn't good enough for my ultimate viewing, lol wink.gif But I would be still a bit surprised if dithering was something noticeable even on a set like ST60. Btw. in stores they really torch these screens, so in that case I guess I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd want to believe that with proper settings in the regular viewing environment one should have no dithering issues... Just thinking out loud, not trying to convince you otherwise - we all have our preferences and things we look for of course... I just haven't heard anyone complain about that before in any videophile reviews etc smile.gif

Again, good luck with your final choice... In the end, there is no such thing as a literally "perfect" TV, but some of them come close, with Panasonic Plasmas widely regarded as the closest ones to such "perfection" smile.gif Cheers...
post #140 of 503
Just picked one of these up. Replacing a panasonic ST50 that was ISF calibrated by one of the people that does postproduction studio calibration.

I have to say, I am impressed. Important caveats: this is being used in a room that is never dark. Windows let in daylight, and at night there are always some lights on. So ultimate black level is excellent, given that the room is not pitch black. In a dedicated viewing situation, I might miss the plasma.

That said, it's waaaaay bigger, doesn't heat up the room, has more gray scale and cms adjustment capability, and in game mode the wonky processing appears defeated.

I'm looking forward to a proper calibration with instrumentation. None of the various posts of settings get the color right when looking at things in comparison to a calibrated TV.
post #141 of 503
The LC-60LE650U is on special today at BB for 899.

Is this the best set for < 1,000 in today's market offerings? I don't care much for 3D or smart features. Just a good overall picture quality and motion. I hopefully, no significant issues.

Coming from a Panasonic 50" Plasma. I love the picture on the Panasonic, but my living has too much lights for it.
post #142 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

The LC-60LE650U is on special today at BB for 899.

Is this the best set for < 1,000 in today's market offerings? I don't care much for 3D or smart features. Just a good overall picture quality and motion. I hopefully, no significant issues.

Coming from a Panasonic 50" Plasma. I love the picture on the Panasonic, but my living has too much lights for it.

"Best" is a relative term and imprecise.

The Sharp is the best in terms of image adjustment options (grayscale and color space). If you get a professional calibration, the Sharp will end up more accurate than any other LCD in its class. But the video processing/scaling/de-interlacing is inferior to some others.

The Sony LCD equivalent has better image processing, de-interlacing, and scaling -- but has less accurate color and very few adjustments available.

The Panasonic Plasma has better black levels and contrast, but performs less well is a brightly lit room.

So if color accuracy is your top priority, the Sharp is the best. If video processing is your top priority, the Sony is the best. If performance in a dark room is your priority, the Panny plasma is the best.
post #143 of 503
Sounds like the Sharp fits my bill. I do have an i1D3 Pro meter, along with HCFR. If it has 10 point grayscale, I can tinker with it to make to come as close to Rec 709 as possible.

When you say video processing/scaling, that would only be applicable if you feed it a non 1080p signal correct? Such as DVD, Wii, etc?

I mainly watch OVA (720p?), Roku 2 XS for streaming (1080p?), and some blu-rays. Seems like video processing/scaling won't be necessary?

Thanks
post #144 of 503
So far my impression is that if you feed it a 1080 P 60 signal you don't need to worry about the sets ability to handle 1080i film sourced content. I got the 70 inch version and it definitely has 10 point grayscale adjustment capability in the user menu. I am not completely sure yet but I believe game mode strange as it may seem is actually the best video mode to use. It appears still permits all customizations with regard to color. But it seems to skip the sets Internal processing which is sub optimal and causes noticeable lag.
post #145 of 503
How's motion blur on this set with regards to sports and fast action scenes in movies?
post #146 of 503
I don't watch video content (like sports) and would hesitate to judge based on the couple of movies I have watched.
post #147 of 503
Just curious, what do you watch?

tongue.gif
post #148 of 503

I think nathan_h is spot on about "best".  It's a subjective matter at best.  What looks great to person A looks different to person B and so on and so forth.

 

That being said, I came from a Panasonic 52" plasma to the 80" big brother of this model.  Is it better?  Not sure I can say that, but I am still very happy with it overall.  I am still toying with my settings for the best picture, and there are lots of options.  Blacks are very black for an LED, very comparable to my Panny.  Overall, I think color, etc is as good if not better than my Panny.  Like you, I'm not overly concerned about 3D or even "smart TV" as most my devices are "smart".  I will say the smart features are laid out nicely and seem quick and responsive.  However, it doesn't seem as inclusive as some of my other devices (or I haven't figured out how to add programs that aren't pre-installed).  Like I said, it's a bonus for me either way, so I don't consider this a +/- for the TV.  Lastly, I haven't notice any uniformity issues with mine.  If there are any, they are minor enough I haven't noticed them.  

 

The thing I struggle with is artifacts, or more precisely, dithering.  It seems the set is more sensitive to the source quality than my Panny.  For me, the big question is -- is that because I'm going from a 52" to an 80" and things are just more noticeable because I have a much bigger screen in the same size room (where the 52" was too small)?  Or is it a quality issue?  I do know when I was inside Sam's viewing the TV with high action, tons of dark scenes, etc that all I saw was perfection -- from less than 10' away.  The content source was bluray.  At home, I get a mixed variety of results.  I have a DirecTV Genie system and Xbox One as my main devices.  The Xbox One seems to provide the best quality -- games, blurays and online streaming (assuming stream speeds don't slow down and reduce video quality -- not a fault of the Sharp).  The Genie is always good, but not perfect.  Looking closer at settings, etc it appears the Genie is outputting at 1080i, not 1080p.  I still need to dig further to see if this is right or not, or if I can fix it.  That being said, it doesn't always look as great as the XB1 content.  But if the Genie is outputting 1080i and not 1080p that is a hardware issue with the Genie and not the Sharp.  

 

I keep toying with my settings and depending what I do I see improvements.  I don't think I'm all the way there, and definitely not an ISF tech.  I considered hiring a pro, and I still might but want to try myself first as I've had good results in the past.

 

Overall, I do know for the money I paid for my 80" I am extremely happy.  

post #149 of 503
Thanks for the inputs.

I wonder if the artifacts are in part driven by the size of your TV, the source, your viewing distance?

I am not doubting you, just wondering if it's other factors contributing to the artifacts, and not solely caused by the panel?

Btw, have you played with either CNET or Mad-Z (from the 640U thread) settings?
post #150 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post

I think nathan_h is spot on about "best".  It's a subjective matter at best.  What looks great to person A looks different to person B and so on and so forth.

That being said, I came from a Panasonic 52" plasma to the 80" big brother of this model.  Is it better?  Not sure I can say that, but I am still very happy with it overall.  I am still toying with my settings for the best picture, and there are lots of options.  Blacks are very black for an LED, very comparable to my Panny.  Overall, I think color, etc is as good if not better than my Panny.  Like you, I'm not overly concerned about 3D or even "smart TV" as most my devices are "smart".  I will say the smart features are laid out nicely and seem quick and responsive.  However, it doesn't seem as inclusive as some of my other devices (or I haven't figured out how to add programs that aren't pre-installed).  Like I said, it's a bonus for me either way, so I don't consider this a +/- for the TV.  Lastly, I haven't notice any uniformity issues with mine.  If there are any, they are minor enough I haven't noticed them.  

The thing I struggle with is artifacts, or more precisely, dithering.  It seems the set is more sensitive to the source quality than my Panny.  For me, the big question is -- is that because I'm going from a 52" to an 80" and things are just more noticeable because I have a much bigger screen in the same size room (where the 52" was too small)?  Or is it a quality issue?  I do know when I was inside Sam's viewing the TV with high action, tons of dark scenes, etc that all I saw was perfection -- from less than 10' away.  The content source was bluray.  At home, I get a mixed variety of results.  I have a DirecTV Genie system and Xbox One as my main devices.  The Xbox One seems to provide the best quality -- games, blurays and online streaming (assuming stream speeds don't slow down and reduce video quality -- not a fault of the Sharp).  The Genie is always good, but not perfect.  Looking closer at settings, etc it appears the Genie is outputting at 1080i, not 1080p.  I still need to dig further to see if this is right or not, or if I can fix it.  That being said, it doesn't always look as great as the XB1 content.  But if the Genie is outputting 1080i and not 1080p that is a hardware issue with the Genie and not the Sharp.  

I keep toying with my settings and depending what I do I see improvements.  I don't think I'm all the way there, and definitely not an ISF tech.  I considered hiring a pro, and I still might but want to try myself first as I've had good results in the past.

Overall, I do know for the money I paid for my 80" I am extremely happy.  

Nice write up. Please don't take this the wrong way but FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY please pony up a couple hundred bucks for a professional calibration. It is well worth it and one of the real great things about these Sharps versus others in the same price class (for a given size) is that it can be calibrated far more precisely than the competition.

If you can find a way to avoid sending it 1080i signals, that MIGHT help with the issues you are seeing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp 60LE650U/70LE650U/80 Owner's Thread