or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Discounted W7 licenses, legitimate
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Discounted W7 licenses, legitimate - Page 2  

post #31 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Just received word that the webpage is setup. Currently have the Professional versions in stock and are getting Home and Ultimate in shortly.

Link is here: http://www.assassinhtpc.com/windows.php

Let us know if there are any issues.

From my experience I thought all versions of Windows 7 were included on the disc & the only difference was the key to unlock the version you paid for. Are the downloadable versions all separate & independent?
post #32 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

From my experience I thought all versions of Windows 7 were included on the disc & the only difference was the key to unlock the version you paid for. Are the downloadable versions all separate & independent?

Yes. Download links are right from Microsoft.
Edited by assassin - 3/12/13 at 3:57am
post #33 of 153
Stupid question but which copy can I install on multiple machines? Or are oem just for 1 pc only?

Been awhile since I had to order...
post #34 of 153
1 license per machine.
post #35 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

1 license per machine.

Thanks
post #36 of 153
A few questions regarding Windows 7 OEM Branded or Unbranded noted on the Link….

1. If a motherboard or CPU is replaced, can a branded OEM license be re-activated in the same way as an unbranded OEM license with a phone call ? For future reference, where do I find that phone number?

2. Depending on the answer to the last question, if re-activation is different for unbranded & branded OEM, can an unbranded OEM license be purchased, and not branded?

3. Is it possible to upgrade any OEM using only upgrade version in future?

4. Or, if lower cost, better off with double install method of upgrade version only?

Little useful information about this found on web…Links welcomed.
post #37 of 153
OEM is the most flexible way to go. don't worry about it.
post #38 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexTus View Post

A few questions regarding Windows 7 OEM Branded or Unbranded noted on the Link….

1. If a motherboard or CPU is replaced, can a branded OEM license be re-activated in the same way as an unbranded OEM license with a phone call ? For future reference, where do I find that phone number?

2. Depending on the answer to the last question, if re-activation is different for unbranded & branded OEM, can an unbranded OEM license be purchased, and not branded?

3. Is it possible to upgrade any OEM using only upgrade version in future?

4. Or, if lower cost, better off with double install method of upgrade version only?

Little useful information about this found on web…Links welcomed.


I have replaced MB's and then downloaded an ISO-OEM; activated with the key that is attached to the case. i did have to endure a "Windows Genuine" check, but it wasn't too painful. I Windows Genuine generates a numbered sequence that you phone in. It really not bad at all.

OEM's are really great..NO SOFTWARE BLOAT!!1
post #39 of 153
Sorry if I missed this, but I already have W7HP installation DVD(s). Do I still have to DOWNLOAD a GB+ sized file?
post #40 of 153
We evidently made it to Slickdeals (thread since removed) and have been overwhelmed by the response. For those waiting on your license key (which shouldn't take more than a few days for you to receive) go ahead and download and install your version of Windows 7 from my guide (which is also linked on the page where you purchased your license key from us) and when you receive your key in a day or two you can activate it then.

Summary:
1. Purchase license key
2. Download appropriate version of Windows that you purchased (see my guide)
3. Install appropriate version of Windows that you purchased (see my guide)
4. Receive license key
5. Activate Windows

Again, the link to the free guide with the instuctions is located here: http://www.assassinhtpc.com/windows.php
post #41 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

We evidently made it to Slickdeals (thread since removed)

Nice, can't believe I missed that. It should have hit one of my alerts

While it may seem beyond obvious, for anyone whom it's not remember to choose "Activate Later" when prompted (2-3 times) if you are still waiting on a license
post #42 of 153
Pretty slick deal!
post #43 of 153
Quick question...

If we opt to receive the physical disc (not that it's needed, I've already got .iso's of all the versions listed), will that come with the COA Sticker?

That would be more important to me than the physical disc.

Thanks!
post #44 of 153
I bought two licenses last night. Today I received an email showing the label/product key(s) [the physical copies have also been shipped and are on the way] and even though I don't really need them this very moment I thought that was a nice touch! Thanks guys!
post #45 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

We evidently made it to Slickdeals (thread since removed) and have been overwhelmed by the response. For those waiting on your license key (which shouldn't take more than a few days for you to receive) go ahead and download and install your version of Windows 7 from my guide (which is also linked on the page where you purchased your license key from us) and when you receive your key in a day or two you can activate it then.

Summary:
1. Purchase license key
2. Download appropriate version of Windows that you purchased (see my guide)
3. Install appropriate version of Windows that you purchased (see my guide)
4. Receive license key
5. Activate Windows

Again, the link to the free guide with the instuctions is located here: http://www.assassinhtpc.com/windows.php

Is this deal for mostly "AVS people" or are you guys trying to sell a ton of them? I started to post this on the Woot Community Deals but didn't and won't unless you guys are cool with that...
post #46 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Do I still have to DOWNLOAD a GB+ sized file?
I take it that this was a dumb question and that I either have to download the specific versions in the links, or purchase a DVD; that I can't use DVDs I already have with the new license key(s).

confused.gif
post #47 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

I take it that this was a dumb question and that I either have to download the specific versions in the links, or purchase a DVD; that I can't use DVDs I already have with the new license key(s).

confused.gif

Depends if the dvd you own is oem. If you have issues you can always call Microsoft to help you activate as they are usually very accommodating.
post #48 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark3po View Post

Is this deal for mostly "AVS people" or are you guys trying to sell a ton of them? I started to post this on the Woot Community Deals but didn't and won't unless you guys are cool with that...

Sure. Its been posted all over the place evidently. smile.gif
post #49 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Yeah, I got burned buying a discounted win7 disk for $60. I just bought a win8 disk for $95 to replace it so now I'm up to $155 for windows on one computer. I would stick with amazon or newegg.

Its basically the same oem license that amazon and newegg sell you. But at about half the cost.
post #50 of 153
I see you have Server 2008R2 as well. $300 for 1 server and 5 client PC's, am I reading that right? That seems a very good deal as well.
post #51 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Yeah, I got burned buying a discounted win7 disk for $60. I just bought a win8 disk for $95 to replace it so now I'm up to $155 for windows on one computer. I would stick with amazon or newegg.

Its basically the same oem license that amazon and newegg sell you. But at about half the cost.

Not finding the original post here but I think assassin is selling keys, not discs. You don't need a disc just a key.
post #52 of 153
Thread Starter 
How did you quote a post that doesn't exist? I've never found a way to delete my posts. If you flag it with a message the mod may come in and delete it?

Edit: Just found out how to delete, I guess I never looked hard enough before
post #53 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Its basically the same oem license that amazon and newegg sell you. But at about half the cost.

Yeah, I got burned buying a discounted win7 disk for $60. I just bought a win8 disk for $95 to replace it so now I'm up to $155 for windows on one computer. I would stick with amazon or newegg.


Just got an email from MS:

Your counterfeit report submission has been reviewed and accepted. A complimentary software replacement kit will be shipped to the address you provided when submitting your counterfeit report. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of your complimentary kit.

Pretty cool they take care of customers that got ripped off. Of course this means the copy of win8 I bought is sitting around waiting for an upgrade, possibly haswell.
post #54 of 153
Sorry to hear that. I don't think assassin is selling those, though..
post #55 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Sorry to hear that. I don't think assassin is selling those, though..

Nope the original post was before I saw it who posted it, thats why I originally deleted it.
post #56 of 153
You can also change hardware with OEM but you might need a phone call
post #57 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

You can also change hardware with OEM but you might need a phone call

According to the license agreement, OEM copies of Windows cannot be transferred to another PC.
post #58 of 153
BUt if you call MS and just tell them you changed something out and your have a legit copy and are a customer they generate you another code. It's a pain. But you can do it.

Imagine your motherboard explodes after 90 days. You replace it... now you have no windows???? That makes no sense. SO they take care of you. You just need to present it to them in a manner where it makes sense.
post #59 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

According to the license agreement, OEM copies of Windows cannot be transferred to another PC.

While true, their definition of new PC is pretty lax. I transfered my WHSv1 (which are all OEM) to a 'new' PC after my motherboard went out. The only thing I kept from the old PC was the case. I did the same with a Vista Ultimate x64 OEM disc I bought from NewEgg. They gave me no issues. My guess is that they really don't care about DIYers upgrading their PC's, they're more concerned with someone taking a dead HP for instance and using the license from that on a new PC elsewhere.
post #60 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

According to the license agreement, OEM copies of Windows cannot be transferred to another PC.

While true, their definition of new PC is pretty lax. I transfered my WHSv1 (which are all OEM) to a 'new' PC after my motherboard went out. The only thing I kept from the old PC was the case. I did the same with a Vista Ultimate x64 OEM disc I bought from NewEgg. They gave me no issues. My guess is that they really don't care about DIYers upgrading their PC's, they're more concerned with someone taking a dead HP for instance and using the license from that on a new PC elsewhere.

Which really is no different from our end but from Micro$oft's end it is probably because those retail licenses are sold to HP etc at a volume discount.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Discounted W7 licenses, legitimate