or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2013 Sony W802A series LED TVs (KDL-xxW802A) --- 47" and 55" --- Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2013 Sony W802A series LED TVs (KDL-xxW802A) --- 47" and 55" --- Owner's Thread - Page 14

post #391 of 1167
Today I had the opportunity to play for some time and adjust the setting on the Sony KDL-70 R550A at Best Buy. I was very happy with the colors, sharpness, motion and blacks. It was in the magnolia side so the lights were not as bright. The sound quality of the internal speaker are much better than last years models for regular TV watching not movies. The only thing I was a little disappointed in was the overall brightness of the picture/ panel. I had the remote so I was able to play with the settings and even using the Vivid setting the picture was not as bright to the other sets near the Sony which included, Samsung and Sharp 65/70 inchers. The KDL-70 R550A vivid setting was equal to the standard setting of the XBR-65-950. I turned off all the eco settings and other sensor setting and I got this result. The picture was still excellent but I am puzzled at the brightness issue.

I looked at the KDL-60 R550A which was in the regular TV area along with the KDL-55W802A and the 60 R550A looked close to the brightness to the 55W802A. The difference between the KDL-60 R550A and the KDL-55W802A was small, even the Sony rep told me that. Sometimes the picture on the 55W802A looked a LITTLE more vibrant with SLIGHTLY better colors than the 60 R550A and sometime they looked identical. Please keep in mind I could not adjust these sets in this location of the store. For me I would go with the KDL-60 R550A because of the larger size, it does make a difference if you have the room. One you get it in your home and you have no defects with the panel it will look great to you and you will never see the difference. Also I do not think the KDL-55W802A is a good value since it is still only a 120hz panel, very disappointing.

I also compared the Samsung 60F7100 to the Sony KDL-60 R550A and I would take the Sony with no question. The Sony's blacks where better, colors were more natural. The Samsung had artificial colors and I almost thought the Sony's motion looked better. Also the Samsung's screen was too reflective and it affected the picture too much.

I compared the Panasonic ST60 next to all these sets and it looked good but did not have the brightness I would like and the blacks looked crushed.. By the way the Sony came the closest to the colors of the Panasonic (reviews on Panasonic stating accurate colors) as any other TV on the wall at best buy.

Please comment if you would like. Thanks.



Tony.
post #392 of 1167
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqeptik View Post

Although Sony has not bothered to reply to my request for additional comments about the light bleed, my screen is now perfect. I think maybe it had something to do with shipping and the light guides. It got progressively better over the past 7 days. Having seen the ST60 and the W802 side by side I prefer the W802, I cant get used to the plasma flicker. Hopefully the screen stays nice because Sony phone tech is some of the worst I have ever dealt with.

Verrrrrrrrry happy for you! Good to hear the good news once in a while.

As far as the sony grunts go: the one I chatted with over the internet live chat was very verrrrrry poor. Kept trying to send me to links that either had nothing to do with my complaint, or in one case the complete opposite of my complaint. Not her fault personally of course: she should *not* have been put into that position at all without better training.
post #393 of 1167
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post

Today I had the opportunity to play for some time and adjust the setting on the Sony KDL-70 R550A at Best Buy. I was very happy with the colors, sharpness, motion and blacks. It was in the magnolia side so the lights were not as bright. The sound quality of the internal speaker are much better than last years models for regular TV watching not movies. The only thing I was a little disappointed in was the overall brightness of the picture/ panel. I had the remote so I was able to play with the settings and even using the Vivid setting the picture was not as bright to the other sets near the Sony which included, Samsung and Sharp 65/70 inchers. The KDL-70 R550A vivid setting was equal to the standard setting of the XBR-65-950. I turned off all the eco settings and other sensor setting and I got this result. The picture was still excellent but I am puzzled at the brightness issue.

I looked at the KDL-60 R550A which was in the regular TV area along with the KDL-55W802A and the 60 R550A looked close to the brightness to the 55W802A. The difference between the KDL-60 R550A and the KDL-55W802A was small, even the Sony rep told me that. Sometimes the picture on the 55W802A looked a LITTLE more vibrant with SLIGHTLY better colors than the 60 R550A and sometime they looked identical. Please keep in mind I could not adjust these sets in this location of the store. For me I would go with the KDL-60 R550A because of the larger size, it does make a difference if you have the room. One you get it in your home and you have no defects with the panel it will look great to you and you will never see the difference. Also I do not think the KDL-55W802A is a good value since it is still only a 120hz panel, very disappointing.

I also compared the Samsung 60F7100 to the Sony KDL-60 R550A and I would take the Sony with no question. The Sony's blacks where better, colors were more natural. The Samsung had artificial colors and I almost thought the Sony's motion looked better. Also the Samsung's screen was too reflective and it affected the picture too much.

I compared the Panasonic ST60 next to all these sets and it looked good but did not have the brightness I would like and the blacks looked crushed.. By the way the Sony came the closest to the colors of the Panasonic (reviews on Panasonic stating accurate colors) as any other TV on the wall at best buy.

Please comment if you would like. Thanks.



Tony.

Verry interesting, good thoughtful post. Very helpful!!!!!!!

I'm surprised about the brightness thing. My 60R550A plows out unbelLEVable amount of light. Turning off the eco hooey was one big difference, but turning off that light sensor and kaBOOM.
post #394 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post

Today I had the opportunity to play for some time and adjust the setting on the Sony KDL-70 R550A at Best Buy. I was very happy with the colors, sharpness, motion and blacks. It was in the magnolia side so the lights were not as bright. The sound quality of the internal speaker are much better than last years models for regular TV watching not movies. The only thing I was a little disappointed in was the overall brightness of the picture/ panel. I had the remote so I was able to play with the settings and even using the Vivid setting the picture was not as bright to the other sets near the Sony which included, Samsung and Sharp 65/70 inchers. The KDL-70 R550A vivid setting was equal to the standard setting of the XBR-65-950. I turned off all the eco settings and other sensor setting and I got this result. The picture was still excellent but I am puzzled at the brightness issue.

I looked at the KDL-60 R550A which was in the regular TV area along with the KDL-55W802A and the 60 R550A looked close to the brightness to the 55W802A. The difference between the KDL-60 R550A and the KDL-55W802A was small, even the Sony rep told me that. Sometimes the picture on the 55W802A looked a LITTLE more vibrant with SLIGHTLY better colors than the 60 R550A and sometime they looked identical. Please keep in mind I could not adjust these sets in this location of the store. For me I would go with the KDL-60 R550A because of the larger size, it does make a difference if you have the room. One you get it in your home and you have no defects with the panel it will look great to you and you will never see the difference. Also I do not think the KDL-55W802A is a good value since it is still only a 120hz panel, very disappointing.

I also compared the Samsung 60F7100 to the Sony KDL-60 R550A and I would take the Sony with no question. The Sony's blacks where better, colors were more natural. The Samsung had artificial colors and I almost thought the Sony's motion looked better. Also the Samsung's screen was too reflective and it affected the picture too much.

I compared the Panasonic ST60 next to all these sets and it looked good but did not have the brightness I would like and the blacks looked crushed.. By the way the Sony came the closest to the colors of the Panasonic (reviews on Panasonic stating accurate colors) as any other TV on the wall at best buy.

Please comment if you would like. Thanks.



Tony.
Hmmm. It sounds like you said that the XBR-55HX950/65HX950 are brighter than this years models. Could that be from the 950's full-array LED backlighting, compared to the edge-LED backlighting on the 550 and 802? This confirms my theory that someone might have accidentally shown me an XBR-55HX950 instead of a KDL-55W802A at the first PC Richard store I went to to check these TVs out. I also tried a KDL-40R450A, which uses direct LED backlighting, but considering its backlighting, I was surprised at how limited its brightness was. Now that I was finally to see all the necessary manuals online and understand the settings, I'm going to try these TVs out one more time. If the 802 and 450 are as bright, I'm then going to consider the color and viewing angles, considering the 802 is an IPS panel, while the 450 is a VA panel. Making this decision only seems to get more and more difficult for me as time goes on!
Edited by Big C - 5/30/13 at 6:25pm
post #395 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Verry interesting, good thoughtful post. Very helpful!!!!!!!

I'm surprised about the brightness thing. My 60R550A plows out unbelLEVable amount of light. Turning off the eco hooey was one big difference, but turning off that light sensor and kaBOOM.


I intend to go back to the store and check that I did turn them off correctly. How do you correctly turn them off in the menu? Thanks.
post #396 of 1167
It does sound like the Eco setting is the issue. My kdl-46r453a is plenty bright.
post #397 of 1167
It is so comforting to finally hear from others who are having a similar instore experience that I've been having. What about the Dynamic Range setting under Pro? Could that also make a difference regarding the brightness? I don't remember changing that.
post #398 of 1167
Thread Starter 
The problem that I'm having with manufacturers is the endless parade of their obtuse BS names for things.

Pretty soon we'll see options such as:
UberSuperDuperMode:
  • Auto 1
  • Auto 2
  • On
  • Not On
  • Off
  • Really Off
  • Sorta Off
  • Smedly
  • Smedly Emulation Mode
  • Ice Cream
post #399 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

The problem that I'm having with manufacturers is the endless parade of their obtuse BS names for things.

Pretty soon we'll see options such as:
UberSuperDuperMode:
  • Auto 1
  • Auto 2
  • On
  • Not On
  • Off
  • Really Off
  • Sorta Off
  • Smedly
  • Smedly Emulation Mode
  • Ice Cream
I get what you're saying. If we could have universal terms, spellings, and definitions for methods of technologies, features, options, and settings, people would know more about what they're getting before they get it.
post #400 of 1167
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

The problem that I'm having with manufacturers is the endless parade of their obtuse BS names for things.

Pretty soon we'll see options such as:
UberSuperDuperMode:
  • Auto 1
  • Auto 2
  • On
  • Not On
  • Off
  • Really Off
  • Sorta Off
  • Smedly
  • Smedly Emulation Mode
  • Ice Cream
I get what you're saying. If we could have universal terms, spellings, and definitions for methods of technologies, features, options, and settings, people would know more about what they're getting before they get it.

Yeah, but we can't even get them to agree on "Picture" vs. "Contrast".
post #401 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

The problem that I'm having with manufacturers is the endless parade of their obtuse BS names for things.

Pretty soon we'll see options such as:
UberSuperDuperMode:
  • Auto 1
  • Auto 2
  • On
  • Not On
  • Off
  • Really Off
  • Sorta Off
  • Smedly
  • Smedly Emulation Mode
  • Ice Cream
I get what you're saying. If we could have universal terms, spellings, and definitions for methods of technologies, features, options, and settings, people would know more about what they're getting before they get it.

Yeah, but we can't even get them to agree on "Picture" vs. "Contrast".
Another one:

'Brightness' should really be called 'Black Level' because it doesn't adjust the overall brightness of the pixels or the panel.
post #402 of 1167
Are there any pics of dark room use(non sport)? I am thinking of pulling the trigger on the 47". I will be strictly dark room home theater/gaming.
post #403 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Are there any pics of dark room use(non sport)? I am thinking of pulling the trigger on the 47". I will be strictly dark room home theater/gaming.

I pulled the trigger on the 47w802a so far I am super impressed. I will post some pics and some quick setting from Disney WOW calibration. Only spent an hour with it and played a little Deadspace and Prometheus 3D (fantastic) and felt it delivered on both counts.
post #404 of 1167
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

The problem that I'm having with manufacturers is the endless parade of their obtuse BS names for things.

Pretty soon we'll see options such as:
UberSuperDuperMode:
  • Auto 1
  • Auto 2
  • On
  • Not On
  • Off
  • Really Off
  • Sorta Off
  • Smedly
  • Smedly Emulation Mode
  • Ice Cream
I get what you're saying. If we could have universal terms, spellings, and definitions for methods of technologies, features, options, and settings, people would know more about what they're getting before they get it.

Yeah, but we can't even get them to agree on "Picture" vs. "Contrast".
Another one:

'Brightness' should really be called 'Black Level' because it doesn't adjust the overall brightness of the pixels or the panel.

I always figured that "Brightness" was just approximating what happens in the HSB (Hue-Saturation-Brightness) color model. If so, that's consistent, no? It's how much of any particular hue is there (away from black). Wrong thread for all this, I admit.
post #405 of 1167
Does anyone know what the response time is on this TV?
post #406 of 1167
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by evhoria View Post

Does anyone know what the response time is on this TV?

I don't. But do you mean response time or lag? Gotta ask....too often we end up going down the wrong path in conversations otherwise. :-/
post #407 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by evhoria View Post

Does anyone know what the response time is on this TV?

In general manufacturers no longer offer response times on their displays. Since the W802a employs an LG IPS panel they have in the past claimed having 4-8ms response times. Having invested a few hours gaming and some film content I can say motion on this set is impressive. My big stress test for motion is Prometheus and Deadspace(1) and saw no overdrive trailing in areas I have with VA panels. If you are talking input lag a few published reviews have stated that it has measured at around 6ms.
post #408 of 1167
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by evhoria View Post

Does anyone know what the response time is on this TV?

In general manufacturers no longer offer response times on their displays. Since the W802a employs an LG IPS panel they have in the past claimed having 4-8ms response times. Having invested a few hours gaming and some film content I can say motion on this set is impressive. My big stress test for motion is Prometheus and Deadspace(1) and saw no overdrive trailing in areas I have with VA panels. If you are talking input lag a few published reviews have stated that it has measured at around 6ms.

.......which I don't believe for "a second". smile.gif If it's what they're using, I want to see what the Leo Bodnar device is doing at the circuit level. That's less than 1/120th of a second (8.33ms) and a frame *MUST* be fully there before output. Game mode or not, it seems unlikely. Keep in mind that the fastest that input port can receive is 60Hz. That's 16.666ms from frame start to frame start. Yes, that's an unrelated spec (I'm only supplying it to give you a stake in the sand), and doesn't mean that it's impossible for a frame to be entirely there and then output immediately upon transfer (totally possible!), but it still seems unlikely to me.

I have my doubts: Especially since I've read "0 ms" lags being returned by that device.
post #409 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

.......which I don't believe for "a second". smile.gif If it's what they're using, I want to see what the Leo Bodnar device is doing at the circuit level. That's less than 1/120th of a second (8.33ms) and a frame *MUST* be fully there before output. Game mode or not, it seems unlikely. Keep in mind that the fastest that input port can receive is 60Hz. That's 16.666ms from frame start to frame start. Yes, that's an unrelated spec (I'm only supplying it to give you a stake in the sand), and doesn't mean that it's impossible for a frame to be entirely there and then output immediately upon transfer (totally possible!), but it still seems unlikely to me.

I have my doubts: Especially since I've read "0 ms" lags being returned by that device.
Here is a link to the article. No measurement device is mention at all, but here it is.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-bravia-kdl-47w805a_TV_review_3d-and-conclusions_Page-3
post #410 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

.......which I don't believe for "a second".

Of course you don't, because a score like that is simply too low, well believe it because it's true. Sony has always had the best "game mode" in the business and this year they addressed and fixed input lag based on their loyal support to their customers.
post #411 of 1167
Here are my settings and a few quick pics from the old Galaxy III.




Custom
Backlight:2
Picture:88
Brightness:52
Color:57
Hue:G1
Sharpness:49
Color temp:Warm 1
Noise Red.:off
MPEG:off
Dot:off
Reality creation:off
Video area:grayed out
Resolution:grayed out
Noise filtering:off
Smooth grad:off
Motionflow:True Cinema (film) and Game(off)
Cinemotion:Auto

Adv.Settings:
Black corrector:off
Adv.Contrast Enhance:Medium (frame dimming employed)
Gamma:0
Auto light limiter:off
Clear white:off
Live color:off
White balance:N/A
Detail enhancer:off
Edge enhancer:off
Skin Nat:grayed out
Display Speed:grayed out
Please let me know what you think of the settings, real quick with Disney WOW disc. I will update Cinema mode later.
post #412 of 1167
Nice pics, looks like a gamers tv all around. Cnet recommends the backlight at 1 and a bit lower color I believe, but whatever looks best to you. Do you find the tv to be ultra responsive for gaming?
post #413 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 View Post

Nice pics, looks like a gamers tv all around. Cnet recommends the backlight at 1 and a bit lower color I believe, but whatever looks best to you. Do you find the tv to be ultra responsive for gaming?

I found it super responsive. I actually was using the MotionFlow clear plus setting while playing a little Rage and noticed no lag at all. Coming from a XS955 Sony widescreen CRT with almost zero lag and am still impressed. Custom mode is very punchy without much adjustment, something is happening behind the scenes that causes huge blue and red spikes. Will try again in Game mode and cinema 1-2 in the scene select menu.
post #414 of 1167
Does that advance contrast enhancer help a lot? Are there fluctuations in the brightness when watching something like Prometheus?
post #415 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincevega44 View Post

Does that advance contrast enhancer help a lot? Are there fluctuations in the brightness when watching something like Prometheus?

I haven't noticed any brightness fluctuation at all during normal content. Sony has had pretty fantastic dimming tech. The set has "frame dimming" in place of local dimming from the HX850 of 2012, while not as accurate is impressive none the less. The "frame dimming" is controlled by the Advanced contrast setting, so think of it as low, medium and high dimming. The CNET review said that the "medium" setting improves black level/contrast and doesn't affect gamma or shadow detail by crushing the blacks.
post #416 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincevega44 View Post

Does that advance contrast enhancer help a lot? Are there fluctuations in the brightness when watching something like Prometheus?

I haven't noticed any brightness fluctuation at all during normal content. Sony has had pretty fantastic dimming tech. The set has "frame dimming" in place of local dimming from the HX850 of 2012, while not as accurate is impressive none the less. The "frame dimming" is controlled by the Advanced contrast setting, so think of it as low, medium and high dimming. The CNET review said that the "medium" setting improves black level/contrast and doesn't affect gamma or shadow detail by crushing the blacks.
Believe me. I'd rather black be pure black, as opposed to dark gray. However, to me, the dark gray is like slight hiss on analog studio master sound recordings. If hiss filters change the sound of the actual material, I'd rather the filters not be used. The same thing with Adv. Contrast Enhancer and Black Corrector. I'd rather put up with a sprinkle of dark gray than brightness fluctuations.
post #417 of 1167
I'm planning to pull the trigger on this TV soon. Still on the fence between the w802a and the w900 but I will probably save the extra $$ and stick with the w802a. I've had such good luck with Sony LCD's over the years that I find it hard to consider other brands. One question though, can someone measure the stand for me on a 55"? Length and width? I want to order a TV riser so I can keep my center up in front of the TV. BestBuy has the TV but it's wall mounted. Thanks!
post #418 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan96max View Post

I'm planning to pull the trigger on this TV soon. Still on the fence between the w802a and the w900 but I will probably save the extra $$ and stick with the w802a. I've had such good luck with Sony LCD's over the years that I find it hard to consider other brands. One question though, can someone measure the stand for me on a 55"? Length and width? I want to order a TV riser so I can keep my center up in front of the TV. BestBuy has the TV but it's wall mounted. Thanks!

If you are near a Best buy you can go in and they will bring the stand from the back to show you. That's obviously if you get no response from the board members. The stand I can tell you is super low profile though from bottom of the stand to the bottom of the TV on about 3".
post #419 of 1167
It's now official that the W802a ranks the lowest in input lag so far this year and maybe even years to come!

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57587317-221/game-mode-on-cnet-tests-tvs-for-input-lag/
post #420 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 View Post

It's now official that the W802a ranks the lowest in input lag so far this year and maybe even years to come!

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57587317-221/game-mode-on-cnet-tests-tvs-for-input-lag/
That is awesome to see CNET covering that aspect as well. I too love deep black levels, but if I try and shoot my friend in the face and he stabs me before the bullet leaves the chamber I don't think "At least the black levels look fantastic." I think 7#@& he just stabbed me in the face! I am really digging this Sony though, good to hear.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2013 Sony W802A series LED TVs (KDL-xxW802A) --- 47" and 55" --- Owner's Thread