I just picked up this to replace a Samsung 60F7100. I have 2 questions:
1. Can the magic remote be programmed work with my DirecTV HR24? I go through the auto setup, have my directv box connected to HDMI1, but it only finds 2 remotes and neither controls my set-top box.
2. Does LG offer the same Smart guide as Samsung?
I decided to add my initial impressions based on a couple days with the 55LA7400, but am still wondering about my questions above before I make the decision to keep or return this set. The tv itself arrived perfectly from Amazon ina couple days. Great service as usual coupled with the terrible service I received from Best Buy, but I digress.
The look of the tv is sleek and it looks borderless with the tv turned off. The actual border is very thin about .25” around ¾ of the screen and a slightly thicker border at the bottom of the screen. it also has a metal rim that surrounds the outer border of the tv. I really wanted a 60", but the bezel is thicker on the 60" version of the LG similar to the Samsung 60F7100 that I returned due to the bezel being thicker on that as well compared to their 55". The picture quality is very good and is comparable to the Samsung.
Smart features (I use the term smart losely).
1. O/S. It looks like 2005 all over again, but it is generally responsive. I have also had to reset my connection three times in order to access these features. I am using wifi 2.4/5ghz router which is one room over. I did not have any connectivity issue with the Samsung, nor do any of my computers or phone
2. Banner. If you point to the top of the screen a screen overlay comes down slighty which is nice, but the input name on the top left is in huge ugly font. Otherwise the banner is serviceable and incudes "on now" on the right side. I much prefer the look and look of the Samsung smart features compared to the LG. Of course everyone’s opinion will vary on this.
3. “On now” feature shows 5-6 titles on the bottom of the screen. Every time I want to use this mostly useless feature I have to remind it that I only care about HD, not SD and not SD and HD channels. If you want to see more than 5-6 items you lose tv audio and video (idiotic) and then it’s more of a graphical representation of the guide instead of a grid style and again no option that I can find to change this.
The magic remote.
1. The click is so loud and annoying if you aren’t the one controlling the tv.
2. It won’t control my Directv HR24-a newer Directv HD-DVR receiver which is about 2-3 years old. I cannot even change channels let alone use the advanced features of the remote such as voice control to do any Directv related control. This renders most of the major features useless. If the remote was to work it looks like I would have to call up the Directv remote on my tv and then change channels that way? I know there are some gestures, but since I can't control my set-top box these are rendered mostly useless at this point.
3. The remote also lost connectivity (3 times) in less than 24 hours.
If this can be updated for use with Directv then I obviously will think the remote is better, but it still is finicky. I don’t think I like the Wii style way to control my tv and I constantly see the “no symbol” as I move the pointer around. Annoying.
I haven’t used the apps long enough to comment on those, but I will say not having Amazon is another major disappointment, but I knew this before I purchased the tv so I cant complain about that.
The remote app for iPhone is ok at best. It is very slow and not formatted for the iPhone 5 (it’s only been on the market for a year.) The design of the app leaves much to be desired but it is better than the magic remote, but I still cannot change channels without my Directv remote.
These are initial impressions, but I just feel like the “Smart tv” is just not that smart. I do like the picture which is very important, but one of the major features was the remote and the tv being smart. After a couple days it’s a major fail for my setup so I have to make the decision to go back to Samsung or not.
I hope some of my concerns are flat out wrong, but again this is after about 2-3 days of usage so I still have a lot to learn about this.
Edited by Andrew P - 7/19/13 at 8:25am