or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Noise in speakers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Noise in speakers

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Hello :-)

I have bought not long ago pioneer Vsx-522 + polkaudio RM6750 + Panasonic 50UT50 to watch movies at my room but i have a problem. Maybe you can help me out.
You hear from the speakers a little noise, like a "snow sounds"
Even if you disconnect all inputs from the pioneer, and the only cable that's connected is from the receiver to the speakers - you still hear it.
We checked it out with new out of the box vsx-522 but the problem is the same.
Do you think it's the cable? the pioneer? the speakers?

One more thing - the store will come to check with different model, which one of them is the best and why?
i don't want a lower-grade then vsx-522. They offered me at the same price to take Onkyo 313/Yamaha RX-V373/Denon 1312 and if i add 52$ i can get Denon 1513 also

Thank you! tongue.gif
post #2 of 27
Thread Starter 
Anyone please?
also i have heared that i won't hear any difference when i play dts-hd/Truehd if i don't have 7.1
it is true?
post #3 of 27
Yes, if I understand the question in your second post. You are unlikely to hear a difference between lossless and the high bitrate lossy codecs on Blu-ray. But, all of those AVRs decode lossless, so it really doesn't matter.
post #4 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Yes, if I understand the question in your second post. You are unlikely to hear a difference between lossless and the high bitrate lossy codecs on Blu-ray. But, all of those AVRs decode lossless, so it really doesn't matter.

my question is if i will hear a difference between DTS (not lossless codec) to TrueHD/dts-hd (lossless codec) with a 5.1 system and not 7.1.
And if you know about the first one.. tongue.gif
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efi Brenner View Post

my question is if i will hear a difference between DTS (not lossless codec) to TrueHD/dts-hd (lossless codec) with a 5.1 system and not 7.1.
And if you know about the first one.. tongue.gif

I only have 5.1, and, can tell a noticeable improvement with lossless audio over the lossy. I have found myself re-watching movies because I am hearing detail that i did not hear when watching Blu-rays and listening to lossy audio.

However, that being said, I have a rather high-end system with a Lexicon pre-amp and Proceed amplification. My speakers are Aerial Acoustics. I think it is safe to say that my system, being more revealing than what you currently have, probably offers me a better probability of hearing the differences.
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efi Brenner View Post

my question is if i will hear a difference between DTS (not lossless codec) to TrueHD/dts-hd (lossless codec) with a 5.1 system and not 7.1.
And if you know about the first one.. tongue.gif

I don't think this will eliminate the "system noise" of your Pioneer receiver. All systems have some level of "noise", most of the time you simply cannot hear it.

The question becomes: can you hear when in "normal" use? (i.e. watching a movie, TV, listening to music)

But, I know this can be a nuisance. I had a receiver in my bedroom that had noise, and it always bothered me even though you could not hear it when in use. Bottom line, if this is going to bother you, then look for a new receiver.
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efi Brenner View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Yes, if I understand the question in your second post. You are unlikely to hear a difference between lossless and the high bitrate lossy codecs on Blu-ray. But, all of those AVRs decode lossless, so it really doesn't matter.

my question is if i will hear a difference between DTS (not lossless codec) to TrueHD/dts-hd (lossless codec) with a 5.1 system and not 7.1.
That's the question I answered. smile.gif jdlynch's post notwithstanding, it is unlikely you will hear a difference. And it's not because you lack high end equipment. The lossy DTS core on Blu-ray is encoded at twice the bitrate used on DVD and it sounds great, rivaling lossless in quality.

But, perhaps all of us are answering the wrong the question! Yes, there is a difference between 5.1 and 7.1, which is not about lossy and lossless. It's about the addition of two more speakers that improve rear imaging. However, the vast majority of movies are 5.1. So, while you would hear a difference on some discs if you had a 7.1 system, the sound processor will properly downmix 7.1 content to 5.1. No sounds will be lost.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

That's the question I answered. smile.gif jdlynch's post notwithstanding, it is unlikely you will hear a difference. And it's not because you lack high end equipment. The lossy DTS core on Blu-ray is encoded at twice the bitrate used on DVD and it sounds great, rivaling lossless in quality.

But, perhaps all of us are answering the wrong the question! Yes, there is a difference between 5.1 and 7.1, which is not about lossy and lossless. It's about the addition of two more speakers that improve rear imaging. However, the vast majority of movies are 5.1. So, while you would hear a difference on some discs if you had a 7.1 system, the sound processor will properly downmix 7.1 content to 5.1. No sounds will be lost.

It seems the OP had two questions; one about system noise, another about format and if any noticeable difference. I'm not sure if the OP is asking if a different format (5.1 vs 7.1) will eliminate/reduce the system noise......
post #9 of 27
Thread Starter 
the noise is not normal, and the store also told me that (they come to my place to hear it)
i can hear the noise if there is no affects. in each movie only when there is special affects the rear speakers works. when they don't make any sound you can hear the noise.
They offered me to come with a new receiver to check it out. i don't want a lower-grade then vsx-522.
at the same price i can take Onkyo 313/Yamaha RX-V373/Denon 1312 and if i add 52$ i can get Denon 1513
which one of them is the best and why?

Maybe the sound will be gone with other company
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
Anyone?
post #11 of 27
I read several different things so don't know where you are at.

The first thing I would do is try to isolate the problem. Do you hear if from all speakers or just a few? If just a few then switch around the cable connections at the receiver and see if it is the same speaker or not. If the same speaker then probably a wire or speaker issue. If noise is from different speakers then it is probably the amp.

Also see what other devices are tied into the circuit you are on. Turn off everything on that circuit (lights, tv, sources) etc and see if that helps. If the noise goes away then turn on stuff one at a time. You may have some interference or open ground.
post #12 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes182 View Post

I read several different things so don't know where you are at.

The first thing I would do is try to isolate the problem. Do you hear if from all speakers or just a few? If just a few then switch around the cable connections at the receiver and see if it is the same speaker or not. If the same speaker then probably a wire or speaker issue. If noise is from different speakers then it is probably the amp.

Also see what other devices are tied into the circuit you are on. Turn off everything on that circuit (lights, tv, sources) etc and see if that helps. If the noise goes away then turn on stuff one at a time. You may have some interference or open ground.

Hey,

If you disconnect all of the inputs from the amp, and the only thing that's connected is the speakers - you hear the noise (in all of the speakers!)
Once you play something (movie/song) you can't hear it; but once there is a movie encoded with 5.1 and the rear don't work because there is talking and not action stuff, you hear the noise...
I tried to turn off everything and it didn't worked out.
we took a new vsx-522 and it was the same.
the store suggested me to come with a new amp and try, therefore im trying to see which one of the will be the best compared to the vsx-522
They offered me at the same price to take Onkyo 313/Yamaha RX-V373/Denon 1312 and if i add 52$ i can get Denon 1513 also

thank you
post #13 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes182 View Post

I read several different things so don't know where you are at.

The first thing I would do is try to isolate the problem. Do you hear if from all speakers or just a few? If just a few then switch around the cable connections at the receiver and see if it is the same speaker or not. If the same speaker then probably a wire or speaker issue. If noise is from different speakers then it is probably the amp.

Also see what other devices are tied into the circuit you are on. Turn off everything on that circuit (lights, tv, sources) etc and see if that helps. If the noise goes away then turn on stuff one at a time. You may have some interference or open ground.

Hey,

If you disconnect all of the inputs from the amp, and the only thing that's connected is the speakers - you hear the noise (in all of the speakers!)
Once you play something (movie/song) you can't hear it; but once there is a movie encoded with 5.1 and the rear don't work because there is talking and not action stuff, you hear the noise...
I tried to turn off everything and it didn't worked out.
we took a new vsx-522 and it was the same.
the store suggested me to come with a new amp and try, therefore im trying to see which one of the will be the best compared to the vsx-522
They offered me at the same price to take Onkyo 313/Yamaha RX-V373/Denon 1312 and if i add 52$ i can get Denon 1513 also

thank you
post #14 of 27
Thread Starter 
NOBODY??
post #15 of 27
sounds like you have a sound field selected and / or poor surround decoding. IF you select a "stereo play back field" (ie. 2 channel only, right and left front), is there still noise coming from your surrounds and from your center channel? IF so, you have something else going on, either improper setup options or significant interference.
post #16 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

sounds like you have a sound field selected and / or poor surround decoding. IF you select a "stereo play back field" (ie. 2 channel only, right and left front), is there still noise coming from your surrounds and from your center channel? IF so, you have something else going on, either improper setup options or significant interference.

poor surround decoding ?

i have selected stereo and there is noise
which amp is the best from the list and why? we will try with other speakers and one of the amp
Onkyo 313/Yamaha RX-V373/Denon 1312 same price like vsx-522
if i add 52$ i can get Denon 1513
post #17 of 27
If the problem is a broken receiver, then any of those AVRs will be a fix, including a simple swap out for the same model you now have. If the problem is something electrical in your home, none of them will fix it. Beyond that, get the one with the features that meet your needs. They are all fine receivers, although pretty bare bones. The Yamaha offers YPAO room correction while the Onkyo and Denon models don't have Audyssey. It also has seems to have a bit more power.
Edited by BIslander - 3/21/13 at 3:29am
post #18 of 27
Thread Starter 
We tried to replace to same model brand new from a sealed box. same thing.
the vsx-522 is better then the rest?
I don't know YPAO room correction or Audyssey.
It just for movies...
post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 
We tried to replace to same model brand new from a sealed box. same thing.
the vsx-522 is better then the rest?
I don't know YPAO room correction or Audyssey.
It just for movies...
post #20 of 27
The symptoms point to an environment problem. But, as the store offered to bring you a receiver from another, then give that a try.

Room correction can be a helpful tool. Most of us have listening areas that interfere with the optimal presentation of sound. Room correction makes adjustments based on the specific issues in the space, improving the sound for movies, music, TV, games, and whatever else you are listening to. YPAO is the Yamaha room correction product. Audyssey is the one that Denon and Onkyo use. The fact that the Yamaha has YPAO and the others don't have any room correction software is a selling point in favor of the Yamaha.
post #21 of 27
Thread Starter 
I don't understand. you said first that they have it, but it's called Audyssey. then you say they don't have it at all, so Yamaha is a better choice.
My vsx-522 have it?
post #22 of 27
?? I do not know what software is on your existing Pioneer receiver. Your owner's manual will tell you. I checked the other models that you said you were considering. The Yamaha has YPAO. The Denons and Onkyo do not have Audyssey, which is the software those companies use. I did not think that was confusing, but I guess it was. Sorry.

So, to be clear. The Yamaha has room correction. The Denons and Onkyo models that you are considering do not have room correction. I do not know whether your existing Pioneer does room correction. Is that clear now?
Edited by BIslander - 3/23/13 at 9:49am
post #23 of 27
Thread Starter 
I was confused because you said that Denon And Onkyo uses Audyssey, but not in the models i have wrote :-) it's all clear now
the one i got is vsx-522
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efi Brenner View Post

I was confused because you said that Denon And Onkyo uses Audyssey, but not in the models i have wrote :-) it's all clear now
the one i got is vsx-522

The VSX-522 will use Pioneer's "MCACC" calibration for set up and equalization.
post #25 of 27
Thread Starter 
Oh right.
Well i told the store that they should bring the RX373. if it will not solve it, should i stay with the vsx-522 or the RX373? anyone of them is better then the other?
post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 
??
post #27 of 27
Thread Starter 
???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Noise in speakers