or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - Page 53

post #1561 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by gq91355 View Post

Thanks for the suggestions. Very much appreciated! I will change the DirecTV DVR to 1080i and 1080p only, and will keep you posted.

I assume turning off the Anynet CEC HDMI feature is no big deal?

I would go ahead and turn it off. More hassle than it's worth IMO.
post #1562 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by gq91355 View Post

Thanks for the suggestions. Very much appreciated! I will change the DirecTV DVR to 1080i and 1080p only, and will keep you posted. I also have a new HDMI 1.4 cable ready to try for additional troubleshooting, if necessary.

I assume turning off the Anynet CEC HDMI feature is no big deal?
All AnyNet does is allow your TV to control other devices and show some A/V controls on your TV, but it actually messed things up for me. For example, it automatically switched my Denon input to TV, even though I wanted my Denon to start up in a different input. The bottom line is turning that off won't do anything. BTW - I think it's fine to select select the other DTV resolutions (480, 720 etc) as that won't affect your issue. If you have it said to "native" instead of static 1080i, you may want to switch that, not for the issue you raised, but b/c it will change resolutions whenever you change the channel to one that has a different resolution and it adds some time to channel changing.
post #1563 of 6702
With how low this F8000 sits on its stand, would placing a center channel speaker (4" tall) right in front of the TV on the same surface cause the speaker to block part of the screen?
post #1564 of 6702
Can anyone help troubleshoot this problem with me?

I am running the audio from smart hub to my denon via toslink optical out. My attempt is to get netflix to stream in DD 5.1. Currently doesn't work with tv option optical out as PCM and option in netflix to play 5.1 selected. I have my optical out hooked up to my denon 2112CI.

I do get DD 5.1 when streaming from my NAS and I'll check my Amazon Prime later. Havne't checked on Vudo yet either. I read that smart hub only outputs in 2.0 which I know to be wrong. I've seen this problem in previous year's of Samsungs sets.

If anyone is getting 5.1 from netflix via the smart hub, how is it setup?

Does it work with HDMI3 via arc?
post #1565 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

Can anyone help troubleshoot this problem with me?

I am running the audio from smart hub to my denon via toslink optical out. My attempt is to get netflix to stream in DD 5.1. Currently doesn't work with tv option optical out as PCM and option in netflix to play 5.1 selected. I have my optical out hooked up to my denon 2112CI.

I do get DD 5.1 when streaming from my NAS and I'll check my Amazon Prime later. Havne't checked on Vudo yet either. I read that smart hub only outputs in 2.0 which I know to be wrong. I've seen this problem in previous year's of Samsungs sets.

If anyone is getting 5.1 from netflix via the smart hub, how is it setup?

Does it work with HDMI3 via arc?

When you're watching a movie/show on Netflix what resolution and sound does it say? I'm not sure how it works with Smart TVs but on most devices there is an option by pressing select on remote/controller that will display the info. Did you go into the Netflix Settings and set it up for DD5.1?
post #1566 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

When you're watching a movie/show on Netflix what resolution and sound does it say? I'm not sure how it works with Smart TVs but on most devices there is an option by pressing select on remote/controller that will display the info. Did you go into the Netflix Settings and set it up for DD5.1?

I did go into Netflix settings and put it to DD5.1

Not sure on resolution, I will have to check that when I am home. I can tell you sound as it tells me on my denon what it is recieving. Sadly its recieving 2.0 and it shows up as dolby pro logic.
post #1567 of 6702
Can anyone tell me what the dimensions of the box for the 65" F8000 is? I'm looking at getting one here in the next couple weeks, and am wondering if I could pick it up or if I should just get it delivered.

Thanks.
post #1568 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8023 View Post

Can anyone tell me what the dimensions of the box for the 65" F8000 is? I'm looking at getting one here in the next couple weeks, and am wondering if I could pick it up or if I should just get it delivered.

Thanks.

62.4” x 37.4” x 10.1"

Source: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65F8000BFXZA-specs
post #1569 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

I did go into Netflix settings and put it to DD5.1

Not sure on resolution, I will have to check that when I am home. I can tell you sound as it tells me on my denon what it is recieving. Sadly its recieving 2.0 and it shows up as dolby pro logic.

That sucks. I would check to see what sound format Netflix is outputting before it gets to your receiver. I know most TVs aren't able to pass DD 5.1 via optical except over the air content but if you're getting DD 5.1 from other smart hub apps I would call Netflix and maybe they can troubleshoot the issue.
post #1570 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

That sucks. I would check to see what sound format Netflix is outputting before it gets to your receiver. I know most TVs aren't able to pass DD 5.1 via optical except over the air content but if you're getting DD 5.1 from other smart hub apps I would call Netflix and maybe they can troubleshoot the issue.

Right, research here in the forums indicates only OTA can push DD 5.1 through optical BUT then why does my DLNA push 5.1 and my xbox 360(hdmi to tv)?

I will try to call netflix...hopefully better than samsung tech support.

Anyone using ARC getting DD 5.1 from netflix?
post #1571 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

Right, research here in the forums indicates only OTA can push DD 5.1 through optical BUT then why does my DLNA push 5.1 and my xbox 360(hdmi to tv)?

I will try to call netflix...hopefully better than samsung tech support.

Anyone using ARC getting DD 5.1 from netflix?
I have basically the same setup as you and DO get 5.1 through Netflix. I also have a Denon (2309). Do you have AnyNet on? If yes, turn it off b/c if it's on it will automatically switch your Denon input to the TV input and the will only output 2.0. Once you turn off AnyNet, switch sound to External Speakers and turn the Denon off and then back on. Then make sure you have the Denon switch to an input that uses the Optical in from the Sammy and it should all work fine.
post #1572 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSko View Post

I have basically the same setup as you and DO get 5.1 through Netflix. I also have a Denon (2309). Do you have AnyNet on? If yes, turn it off b/c if it's on it will automatically switch your Denon input to the TV input and the will only output 2.0. Once you turn off AnyNet, switch sound to External Speakers and turn the Denon off and then back on. Then make sure you have the Denon switch to an input that uses the Optical in from the Sammy and it should all work fine.

I'm hoping that this is it. I'm not using HDMI 3 so I wouldn't have noticed if anynet was on. I just switched to a 60" tv and had to input all the settings..maybe I forgot to turn this off. I'll check and report back.

Just to confirm you have your TV smart hub netflix playing audio via optical out to Denon 2309?

I do have my speakers set to external but I want to know for your optical out option under tv sound settings what you have selected?
post #1573 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

I'm hoping that this is it. I'm not using HDMI 3 so I wouldn't have noticed if anynet was on. I just switched to a 60" tv and had to input all the settings..maybe I forgot to turn this off. I'll check and report back.

Just to confirm you have your TV smart hub netflix playing audio via optical out to Denon 2309?

I do have my speakers set to external but I want to know for your optical out option under tv sound settings what you have selected?
I DEFINITELY get 5.1 from Netflix on my Sammy to my Denon 2309. I think optical out under sounds is set to PCM, but I believe that only applies when the Sammy acts as a passthough, e.g., HDMI from STB to Sammy and then optical out for that source from Sammy to A/V Receiver. If you didn't turn Anynet off, it is likely on by default. It's irrelevant which HDMI you are using - all HDMI inputs would have the same behavior. HDMI 3 just allows you to use ARC, but other than that it works the same as the other HDMI inputs. In any event, I'm using HDMI 1.
post #1574 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSko View Post

I DEFINITELY get 5.1 from Netflix on my Sammy to my Denon 2309. I think optical out under sounds is set to PCM, but I believe that only applies when the Sammy acts as a passthough, e.g., HDMI from STB to Sammy and then optical out for that source from Sammy to A/V Receiver. If you didn't turn Anynet off, it is likely on by default. It's irrelevant which HDMI you are using - all HDMI inputs would have the same behavior. HDMI 3 just allows you to use ARC, but other than that it works the same as the other HDMI inputs. In any event, I'm using HDMI 1.

I feel like a fool right now...what is the difference between ARC and anynet?

Also can someone explain to me the benifits to using the IR blaster? I understand it allows the TV to allow "extended" commands to the TV, but who is using them? Currently I just use a harmony remote. Are ir blasters intelligent enough when I want to watch tv it will change the source on my denon to cordinate with my TV and turn on my cable box??
post #1575 of 6702
UPDATE

In addition to the resolution settings changes, I have since tried a new HDMI cable and different HDMI inputs on the Samsung TV. The video blink problem just won't go away. It also happened for the very first time while watching a movie on my Oppo Bluray BDP-93 player.

One interesting side note: when it happens on DirecTV, I will rewind and it happens at the same spot again. I even recorded a brief period when it was happening, then played it back hours later and it still happens in the same spot. Makes me think the TV is responding negatively in some way to what's being presented on the screen at that moment, as opposed to just randomly video blinking.
Edited by gq91355 - 6/16/13 at 7:48pm
post #1576 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by magogian View Post

Hi All,

I could use your help. I'm deciding between the 60" F8000 and the 60" F7500. The issue I have with the 60" F8000 is the stand. My entertainment center is only 51" wide, but, from what I understand, the stand for the 60" F8000 is 53" wide.

Offhand, maybe if the stand hangs off each end by an inch, that would be OK? OTOH, I wonder if those two inches are important because it appears that is part of the stand that curves back in front of the TV. So, it looks like it might be important for stability purposes.

EDIT: According to Crutchfield, the stand is 51 3/4" So, I'll have at most a total of 3/4" not supported. Is that close enough?


Second question. Currently, I have my center channel on the front of my entertainment center set right in front of the TV. My current TV stand is a few inches tall, so the center channel doesn't interfere with viewing the TV screen. However, with this TV, it seems that the TV is so low that a center channel placed in front of it will block the TV. Does that sound like that will happen? Am I forced to wall mount the center channel? Other options? Thanks!


Thoughts?


I'm pretty sure crutchfield is wrong and the stand is the full 53". If that is the case it would be very unstable. Also the center would block part of your tv as the stand only lifts the tv up 1.4 inches and the bezel is only 0.2"
post #1577 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMonger1 View Post

I'm pretty sure crutchfield is wrong and the stand is the full 53". If that is the case it would be very unstable. Also the center would block part of your tv as the stand only lifts the tv up 1.4 inches and the bezel is only 0.2"

Thanks. That was what I suspected. I just went ahead and purchased the F7500. That way, I know its stand fits on my entertainment center and I can keep my center channel in the same location.
post #1578 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSko View Post

I DEFINITELY get 5.1 from Netflix on my Sammy to my Denon 2309. I think optical out under sounds is set to PCM, but I believe that only applies when the Sammy acts as a passthough, e.g., HDMI from STB to Sammy and then optical out for that source from Sammy to A/V Receiver. If you didn't turn Anynet off, it is likely on by default. It's irrelevant which HDMI you are using - all HDMI inputs would have the same behavior. HDMI 3 just allows you to use ARC, but other than that it works the same as the other HDMI inputs. In any event, I'm using HDMI 1.

I played around with the apps and under the digital out sound options I discovered how to get 5.1. (anynet was off)

After opening netflix and playing a movie with 5.1, I changed setting from PCM to dolby digital as it was now NOT greyed out. I now had 5.1. Same for Amazon Instant Video, 5.1 where it wasn't there before. Then while playing Netflix I changed it back to PCM...back to 2.0. I tried playing a 1080P vudu 5.1 trailer with Dolby Digital selected, and it came as 2.0. I changed it to PCM, also 2.0. I changed it to DTS 2:5, then 5.1 came on. I played all 3 apps with DTS 2:5 and all 3 played in 5.1.

SO, for 5.1 via smarthub with optical out to reciever:

Digital Sound Out Option as Dolby Digital 5.1 works with:
Netflix
Amazon Instant Video

Digital Sound Out option DTS 2:5 5.1 works with:
Netflix
Amazon Instant Video
Vudu

Digital Sound Option PCM 5.1 works with:
NONE--?? All 2.0


Also please note, streaming DLNA NAS sound might not work so you have to turn it to an option that does(for me that was Dolby digital or pcm...not dts 2:5).
Edited by adgrimes - 6/17/13 at 8:01am
post #1579 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by magogian View Post

With how low this F8000 sits on its stand, would placing a center channel speaker (4" tall) right in front of the TV on the same surface cause the speaker to block part of the screen?
Yes
post #1580 of 6702
Does anyone know if the 60 in f8000 uses the same panel as the 55in
post #1581 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansingh7326 View Post

Does anyone know if the 60 in f8000 uses the same panel as the 55in
Mine was the same.
post #1582 of 6702
You can't really put anything in front of it. You only have 2.25" of clearance.
post #1583 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuy01 View Post

It could also be differing tolerances to viewing angles. There's no question that the image changes when you move off-angle, but personally it's not dramatic enough where I couldn't sit anywhere but the center.

And everyone needs to badger Samsung about how ineffective Game Mode is in the hopes of getting a firmware update. 80ms is still too high. Last year's sets brought that number down to 30ms. How did they screw that up?

Agreed. Please people - call Samsung, and complain - ask for a call back from the "Advanced Support Team". They will call back within 24-48 hours (for me they called back within 3 hours). This needs to be fixed.
post #1584 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by magogian View Post

With how low this F8000 sits on its stand, would placing a center channel speaker (4" tall) right in front of the TV on the same surface cause the speaker to block part of the screen?

Absolutely it would. My soundbar is placed behind the panel for that very reason. The stand for this thing is idiotic on so many levels. No swivel, insanely wide, and way too low. So low that you can't stick a sound bar in front of it without blocking the panel.
post #1585 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by magogian View Post

With how low this F8000 sits on its stand, would placing a center channel speaker (4" tall) right in front of the TV on the same surface cause the speaker to block part of the screen?

Absolutely it would. My soundbar is placed behind the panel for that very reason. The stand for this thing is idiotic on so many levels. No swivel, insanely wide, and wy too low. So low that you can't stick a sound bar in front of it without blocking the panel.
post #1586 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

Right, research here in the forums indicates only OTA can push DD 5.1 through optical BUT then why does my DLNA push 5.1 and my xbox 360(hdmi to tv)?

I will try to call netflix...hopefully better than samsung tech support.

Anyone using ARC getting DD 5.1 from netflix?

You can also push 5.1 audio through optical when playing media files (like mkv) from the tv's built-in media player.
post #1587 of 6702
Thanks all. I went ahead and purchased the F7500 for that reason (7500 has sufficient clearance for my middle channel) along with the lower price. The stand on the F8000 is definitely better looking, but I had to take function over form.
post #1588 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

I played around with the apps and under the digital out sound options I discovered how to get 5.1. (anynet was off)

After opening netflix and playing a movie with 5.1, I changed setting from PCM to dolby digital as it was now NOT greyed out. I now had 5.1. Same for Amazon Instant Video, 5.1 where it wasn't there before. Then while playing Netflix I changed it back to PCM...back to 2.0. I tried playing a 1080P vudu 5.1 trailer with Dolby Digital selected, and it came as 2.0. I changed it to PCM, also 2.0. I changed it to DTS 2:5, then 5.1 came on. I played all 3 apps with DTS 2:5 and all 3 played in 5.1.

SO, for 5.1 via smarthub with optical out to reciever:

Digital Sound Out Option as Dolby Digital 5.1 works with:
Netflix
Amazon Instant Video

Digital Sound Out option DTS 2:5 5.1 works with:
Netflix
Amazon Instant Video
Vudu

Digital Sound Option PCM 5.1 works with:
NONE--?? All 2.0


Also please note, streaming DLNA NAS sound might not work so you have to turn it to an option that does(for me that was Dolby digital or pcm...not dts 2:5).
Strange, I never had to change that. Anyway, ARC allows you to pass audio both ways over HDMI. Anynet is Samsung's system for controlling multiple devices. Hopefully this helps. The bottom line is they cover two different things.
post #1589 of 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSko View Post

Strange, I never had to change that. Anyway, ARC allows you to pass audio both ways over HDMI. Anynet is Samsung's system for controlling multiple devices. Hopefully this helps. The bottom line is they cover two different things.
Under denon options you have the option to put the decode as auto, pcm, or dts. I odn't remeber exactly where it is located in the settings but which do you have it set to on your denon?
post #1590 of 6702
Does anyone else have the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD stb with their f8000: and if so, are you able to use the DVR button on the Sammy remote? I can't get it to work on mine. If I could do that I would return my harmony 700.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread