or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - Page 109

post #3241 of 6701
I was wondering if an owner here could give a *critical* review of the F8000. I just bought the 65" and im waiting for the delivery.....i was drawn to this tv because of the great review by cnet so naturally i was curious how an led would appeal to me. Im actually a plasma fan boy so...go figure.

But, im obviously concerned about viewing angles and, uniformity and backlighting issues....Anyone care to give an honest comment ?
post #3242 of 6701
It's a lie to claim true 4K (60 fps) games are imminent. Neither of the next-gen consoles have the hardware capable of 4K- they will *never* be able to render in true 4K- and it's a safe bet that not a single person in here has a PC capable of stitching together a 4K display. I realize AVS job is to shill hardware but this is ridiculous.
Edited by cjvnyc - 10/27/13 at 3:00am
post #3243 of 6701
Not
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post

We're the vendors you were trying to get them to match on their "list"? Best Buy did one price match for me, and then another credit when the set dropped in price during one of their sales about a month after I purchased it.

Not on their list. Anyone on their list sells for same price bc of Samsung price lock
post #3244 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

I was wondering if an owner here could give a *critical* review of the F8000. I just bought the 65" and im waiting for the delivery.....i was drawn to this tv because of the great review by cnet so naturally i was curious how an led would appeal to me. Im actually a plasma fan boy so...go figure.

But, im obviously concerned about viewing angles and, uniformity and backlighting issues....Anyone care to give an honest comment ?

Had the 65F8000 for over 30 days before I exchanged it for the Sony X900A. Don't get me wrong it has a very nice picture and will lure you in with its "pop" in the picture. After 30 days I just lost interest in it. You will see some back light issues occasionally around the edge due to edge lit screen, colors were good but I could not get the flesh tones where I wanted in comparison to the rest of the color. Does have a sharp picture but for me the X900 draws me in more to the picture, movies are amazing, and color is more uniform. Cannot comment on viewing angle as I only looked at it straight on from 15'. In the end you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt, set it up in your room, calibrate the settings, and see if it is pleasing to your eye. That's what matters most in the end. It will not have blacks like a plasma though and you will have to screw around on the motion settings.
post #3245 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjvnyc View Post

It's a lie to claim true 4K (60 fps) games are imminent. Neither of the next-gen consoles have the hardware capable of 4K- they will *never* be able to render in true 4K- and it's a safe bet that not a single person in here has a PC capable of stitching together a 4K display. I realize AVS job is to shill hardware but this is ridiculous.

absolutely agree.

Like I said many games "next gen" on those consoles aren't even 1080p.

If they were on 4k, probably would have 3 fps.
post #3246 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroadster158 View Post

Had the 65F8000 for over 30 days before I exchanged it for the Sony X900A. Don't get me wrong it has a very nice picture and will lure you in with its "pop" in the picture. After 30 days I just lost interest in it. You will see some back light issues occasionally around the edge due to edge lit screen, colors were good but I could not get the flesh tones where I wanted in comparison to the rest of the color. Does have a sharp picture but for me the X900 draws me in more to the picture, movies are amazing, and color is more uniform. Cannot comment on viewing angle as I only looked at it straight on from 15'. In the end you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt, set it up in your room, calibrate the settings, and see if it is pleasing to your eye. That's what matters most in the end. It will not have blacks like a plasma though and you will have to screw around on the motion settings.

I have a f8000 too, but I was curious about the 900A. Are the colors similar between the two sets? Or is the color on the sony a bit more vibrant? Would you say the color looks washed out on the Samsung? I keep reading the f8000 has reference quality color.

Does the f8000 have more "pop" than the Sony? Also when you say movies looked amazing on the sony, how about the samsung? How would you rate the two sets since you have experience with both?

thanks in advance!
post #3247 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgolgiman View Post

I've had zero luck getting best buy to price match. I've tried at least 20 stores with no luck

I got them to price match when I got mine. I had to fight with them for about 30 minutes but I got it eventually.
post #3248 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag.jase View Post

I got them to price match when I got mine. I had to fight with them for about 30 minutes but I got it eventually.

Any suggestions on what to say? Half the time the manager doesn't even want to talk
post #3249 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

i just checked cnet and didnt find any custom settings.

This thread, post #1
post #3250 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgolgiman View Post

Any suggestions on what to say? Half the time the manager doesn't even want to talk

At first they tried to say they won't price match, because the store wasn't a huge chain and not listed as an example on their website. But the verbiage did not disqualify this particular store.

I asked to speak with manager and we did and after he "researched" their own wording on their website he agreed. I don't think I did anything special, I just told them their own policy says I should get a price match.

I got my 55f8000 back in May. A smaller local chain had a memorial weekend type sale going on. I got extremely lucky.

good luck
post #3251 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgolgiman View Post

Any suggestions on what to say? Half the time the manager doesn't even want to talk

I had other local high end audio/video small shops tell me they would have price matched as well just to get the business. Although this was after I told them BB was willing to price match websites not on their official list and the price I bought the TV for.

Has anyone udated to the latest firmware 1114.5 that came out on 10/25??
Also I was pleasantly surprised to find Netflix is now streaming 1080P smile.gif
post #3252 of 6701
Hi guys. I made the plunge and purchased the 65" F8000. The picture is great once its been calibrated. But i have an issue. I am trying to connect my HK AVR 354 to the TV via HDMI to the HDMI1 slot and i get an image that comes on and then disappears. It will comeback after turn the AVR off and then on again, but the image disappears again. Its almost as if its a handshake issue. I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas or encountered this issue before? I already tried using a new HDMI cable and the AVR works perfectly when connected to a Sony Bravia.

Thanks!!!
post #3253 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroadster158 View Post

Had the 65F8000 for over 30 days before I exchanged it for the Sony X900A. Don't get me wrong it has a very nice picture and will lure you in with its "pop" in the picture. After 30 days I just lost interest in it. You will see some back light issues occasionally around the edge due to edge lit screen, colors were good but I could not get the flesh tones where I wanted in comparison to the rest of the color. Does have a sharp picture but for me the X900 draws me in more to the picture, movies are amazing, and color is more uniform. Cannot comment on viewing angle as I only looked at it straight on from 15'. In the end you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt, set it up in your room, calibrate the settings, and see if it is pleasing to your eye. That's what matters most in the end. It will not have blacks like a plasma though and you will have to screw around on the motion settings.

" You will see some back light issues occasionally around the edge due to edge lit screen "

So is the sony immune to this? That would be fantastic if it is

" 15'. In the end you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt, set it up in your room, calibrate the settings, and see if it is pleasing to your eye. "

I agree with this. 100%

Only issue for me would be viewing angles. I'm not taking about extreme angles but around 20degrees off angle at most
post #3254 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag.jase View Post

I have a f8000 too, but I was curious about the 900A. Are the colors similar between the two sets? Or is the color on the sony a bit more vibrant? Would you say the color looks washed out on the Samsung? I keep reading the f8000 has reference quality color.

Does the f8000 have more "pop" than the Sony? Also when you say movies looked amazing on the sony, how about the samsung? How would you rate the two sets since you have experience with both?

thanks in advance!

Regarding colors I feel the Sony has better representation of colors. It appears more real to me as the Samsung looked more artificial. They can be vibrant on the Sony especially if you put the tv in Vivid. Too vibrant for me in that mode. But using Standard or Custom they colors are spot on. The colors on the Samsung did not look washed out to me. Problem was every time I was trying to adjust flesh tones it threw the colors off.

The F8000 indeed have more "pop" but after having the set for 30 days I did not like that "pop. The Sony's picture has way more depth and is smoother. Watching movies on the X900 is more enjoyable and cinema like then the Sony.

I prefer the Sony over the Samsung myself. But that is me. I prefer it for many reasons, color, depth to picture, blue ray are amazing, 3D is better, and the speakers on the Sony are much much better.
post #3255 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroadster158 View Post

Regarding colors I feel the Sony has better representation of colors. It appears more real to me as the Samsung looked more artificial. They can be vibrant on the Sony especially if you put the tv in Vivid. Too vibrant for me in that mode. But using Standard or Custom they colors are spot on. The colors on the Samsung did not look washed out to me. Problem was every time I was trying to adjust flesh tones it threw the colors off.

The F8000 indeed have more "pop" but after having the set for 30 days I did not like that "pop. The Sony's picture has way more depth and is smoother. Watching movies on the X900 is more enjoyable and cinema like then the Sony.

I prefer the Sony over the Samsung myself. But that is me. I prefer it for many reasons, color, depth to picture, blue ray are amazing, 3D is better, and the speakers on the Sony are much much better.


hey thanks for the answers, but I got a few more.

What do you mean samsung colors look artificial as opposed to the sony's? Also, you said samsung has more pop but sony has more depth, isn't that one in the same? Would you say the vibrancy on the samsung is really good? And pq wise, aside from the differences you mentioned would you say they are similar?

thanks!
post #3256 of 6701
Hey does the motion sensor work for Netflix ? I'm talking about Netflix streaming from the tv. It used to work for me , but not anymore. I'm wondering if I'm the only one.
post #3257 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag.jase View Post

hey thanks for the answers, but I got a few more.

What do you mean samsung colors look artificial as opposed to the sony's? Also, you said samsung has more pop but sony has more depth, isn't that one in the same? Would you say the vibrancy on the samsung is really good? And pq wise, aside from the differences you mentioned would you say they are similar?

thanks!

My def. of pop is brightness. Sony has more depth to the picture not as bright as the Samsung. The picture looks more 3d'ish. To me the picture resembles more of seeing it at the Movies. The colors look more natural on the Sony as opposed to the Samsung. You just have to see it to understand what I am saying.

I would not say they are similar at all. That said, with the Samsung 65F8000 I just felt the need for a bigger screen, with the Sony X900 I don't have that need, I just enjoy watching it more.
post #3258 of 6701
I preferred the Samsung over the Sony (post calibration). Out of the box the Samsung colors are off but can be corrected.
post #3259 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I preferred the Samsung over the Sony (post calibration). Out of the box the Samsung colors are off but can be corrected.

Was yours professionally done or by eye?

can you post your settings?

thanks!
post #3260 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag.jase View Post

Was yours professionally done or by eye?

can you post your settings?

thanks!

When I was comparing the two displays, the Samsung was professionally calibrated. Mine is scheduled to be done in early Nov by a prof calibrator.
post #3261 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroadster158 View Post

My def. of pop is brightness. Sony has more depth to the picture not as bright as the Samsung. The picture looks more 3d'ish. To me the picture resembles more of seeing it at the Movies. The colors look more natural on the Sony as opposed to the Samsung. You just have to see it to understand what I am saying.

I would not say they are similar at all. That said, with the Samsung 65F8000 I just felt the need for a bigger screen, with the Sony X900 I don't have that need, I just enjoy watching it more.

The x900 and the f8000 are not comparable when one is 4k and the other is not
post #3262 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgolgiman View Post

The x900 and the f8000 are not comparable when one is 4k and the other is not

That's exactly what I was saying. However I will note that all the observations I was describing were with non 4K content. In the end I keep saying a TV looks different to each of us and in the end YOU have to decide what looks best regardless of what any of us post here.
post #3263 of 6701

Has anyone been able to use the TV as a media hub?  For example instead of running all of your HDMI video into your receiver and using the receiver as a switch, has anyone been able to get your HTML source input w/ 5.1 audio thru the TV with 5.1 coming out the SPDIF?  Also I guess has anyone been able to get the Apps such as Netflix or Hulu to generate 5.1 out?  What about directly attached USB media.  In my case no matter what I send into the TV all I get out is 2 channel audio.  I really don't want to use the receiver as the video source, it makes a mess when I want to play movies directly from the TV.  Sure would be nice to use the TV as the media selector and have the SPDIF output what ever input audio it received.

post #3264 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnscott View Post

Has anyone been able to use the TV as a media hub?  For example instead of running all of your HDMI video into your receiver and using the receiver as a switch, has anyone been able to get your HTML source input w/ 5.1 audio thru the TV with 5.1 coming out the SPDIF?  Also I guess has anyone been able to get the Apps such as Netflix or Hulu to generate 5.1 out?  What about directly attached USB media.  In my case no matter what I send into the TV all I get out is 2 channel audio.  I really don't want to use the receiver as the video source, it makes a mess when I want to play movies directly from the TV.  Sure would be nice to use the TV as the media selector and have the SPDIF output what ever input audio it received.

I run all of my sources to my Denon AVR except my xbox because I leave xbox in game mode on HDMI 2. Not sure exactly what you mean for HTML source.

I am able to get my SPDIF to play 5.1 back to my AVR for netflix, amazon and xbox(as the hdmi is plugged into tv). I also stream movie files over my network and play 5.1 if they were encoded in DTS or DD. The key for getting 5.1 with SPDIF it seems is instead of leaving it on bitstream I have to manually select DD or DTS in sound options for audio out options...depending on what the video source was encoded in. This is super lame though as my Denon 2112Ci should be able to decode bitstream audio from tv.
post #3265 of 6701
Quote:
I run all of my sources to my Denon AVR except my xbox because I leave xbox in game mode on HDMI 2. Not sure exactly what you mean for HTML source.

I am able to get my SPDIF to play 5.1 back to my AVR for netflix, amazon and xbox(as the hdmi is plugged into tv). I also stream movie files over my network and play 5.1 if they were encoded in DTS or DD. The key for getting 5.1 with SPDIF it seems is instead of leaving it on bitstream I have to manually select DD or DTS in sound options for audio out options...depending on what the video source was encoded in. This is super lame though as my Denon 2112Ci should be able to decode bitstream audio from tv.

So, I have an older receiver that does not support HDMI.  Therefore I route all of my HDMI feeds into the TV and use the TV for selecting what I want to view.  For example I have a DirectTV receiver, BluRay player, and an AppleTV.  I was hoping the TV would just route the full digital audio from the video being viewed out of its SPDIF optical jack.  The TV lets you specify PCM, Dolby, DTS for the digital audio output, however in my case it only outputs 2 channel digital audio regardless of the input audio coming from the HDMI input source.  I know this because when I directly connect the DirectTV digital audio to the receiver I get 5.1, when I connect it via the TV I get only two channels from the 5.1.  I've seen this with the built in Netflix and Hulu apps as well. I even tried connecting a USB drive with .mp4 video that I know has an 5.1 dolby track however still only 2 channel audio out of the TV.

 

Are you sure you are getting 5.1 audio?  I am running the current firmware in the TV, it automatically downloaded an update and at the same time trashed the WiFi (it is no longer usable via WiFi and I have to direct connect the network via Cat6)  What firmware are you using?  I saw a post that once you were able to enable the Dolby output selection in the Audio output it would stay that way.  However with the current firmware it changes the audio output setting for each input source (HDMI1 / HDMI2 / USB / ...)  I don't know how it worked prior to the firmware update.

post #3266 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnscott View Post

So, I have an older receiver that does not support HDMI.  Therefore I route all of my HDMI feeds into the TV and use the TV for selecting what I want to view.  For example I have a DirectTV receiver, BluRay player, and an AppleTV.  I was hoping the TV would just route the full digital audio from the video being viewed out of its SPDIF optical jack.  The TV lets you specify PCM, Dolby, DTS for the digital audio output, however in my case it only outputs 2 channel digital audio regardless of the input audio coming from the HDMI input source.  I know this because when I directly connect the DirectTV digital audio to the receiver I get 5.1, when I connect it via the TV I get only two channels from the 5.1.  I've seen this with the built in Netflix and Hulu apps as well. I even tried connecting a USB drive with .mp4 video that I know has an 5.1 dolby track however still only 2 channel audio out of the TV.

Are you sure you are getting 5.1 audio?  I am running the current firmware in the TV, it automatically downloaded an update and at the same time trashed the WiFi (it is no longer usable via WiFi and I have to direct connect the network via Cat6)  What firmware are you using?  I saw a post that once you were able to enable the Dolby output selection in the Audio output it would stay that way.  However with the current firmware it changes the audio output setting for each input source (HDMI1 / HDMI2 / USB / ...)  I don't know how it worked prior to the firmware update.

What you are experiencing are the audio limitations of the tv. I have experienced the same. I am using the ARC function to pass audio from the tv to my receiver via HDMI. The Netflix and VUDU apps will pass a multichannel surround signal via ARC, but won't pass 5.1 from other HDMI connected devices to the tv. It says this in the owners manual. My newer receiver will create pseudo surround audio by using internal Prologic or DTS Neo processing, which sounds decent. The optical connection from the tv to the receiver should work when set to PCM, but does not the way you would think. You can set the surround to DTS Neo, but your receiver probably needs to be able to decode DTS Neo.

In your case you have a few options;
1. Live with what you have, 2 channel audio and if your receiver is capable, have the receiver internally make pseudo multichannel audio.
2. Connect the audio outputs of all of your devices directly to your receiver via optical cable. Depending on how many devices you have you will probably need an external switch box also.
3. Buy a new receiver capable of using HDMI ARC, but understand that only the Smart Apps will pass multichannel surround. You would still have to use pseudo decoding if you decide to connect a device directly to the tv, but you probably wouldn't have to do that because you can connect the devices directly to the new receiver.
4. Return the tv and get one that handles audio the way you need, but you may not be able to find one that does.

Yes, after getting the tv I had to get a new receiver myself because my previous receiver did not pass a 3d signal via HDMI. That solution was still not perfect because I still have to connect my game systems to the TV directly to take advantage of the Game mode. If I want 5.1 from the game system I have to connect an optical cable from the system to the receiver. You would be doing yourself a favor because if you get a newer receiver you will be able to listen to lossless audio if you have a Bluray collection.

Sorry most of the solutions involve spending money, I feel your pain.
post #3267 of 6701
^^dissapointing. Advertising for this series tv suggests it can be used as a media hub and had 5.1 decoder but it won't pass through/out to receiver???
post #3268 of 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnscott View Post

So, I have an older receiver that does not support HDMI. Therefore I route all of my HDMI feeds into the TV and use the TV for selecting what I want to view. For example I have a DirectTV receiver, BluRay player, and an AppleTV. I was hoping the TV would just route the full digital audio from the video being viewed out of its SPDIF optical jack. The TV lets you specify PCM, Dolby, DTS for the digital audio output, however in my case it only outputs 2 channel digital audio regardless of the input audio coming from the HDMI input source. I know this because when I directly connect the DirectTV digital audio to the receiver I get 5.1, when I connect it via the TV I get only two channels from the 5.1. I've seen this with the built in Netflix and Hulu apps as well. I even tried connecting a USB drive with .mp4 video that I know has an 5.1 dolby track however still only 2 channel audio out of the TV.

Are you sure you are getting 5.1 audio? I am running the current firmware in the TV, it automatically downloaded an update and at the same time trashed the WiFi (it is no longer usable via WiFi and I have to direct connect the network via Cat6) What firmware are you using? I saw a post that once you were able to enable the Dolby output selection in the Audio output it would stay that way. However with the current firmware it changes the audio output setting for each input source (HDMI1 / HDMI2 / USB / ...) I don't know how it worked prior to the firmware update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode11 View Post

If I want 5.1 from the game system I have to connect an optical cable from the system to the receiver.

This is very odd as I am 100% sure I am getting 5.1 DD with my Xbox 360 via hdmi to Samsung TV when I play Battlefield 3 via the digital audio out(selected on DD). In my sound options in xbox I have dolby digital/suround sound slected both in xbox & game options(not at home so I cannot tell you exact wording). It shows up as dolby digital on my AVR and shows up on my smart phone app for AVR as 3/2/.1(5.1). When it doesn't receive a 5.1 signal its very obvious because 2.0 shows up in my phone app and I see the dolby simulation signal on the AVR(DD PLII). On all the SmartHub apps I am able to get 5.1 on Netflix(with surround sound option selected in app), Amazon, and Vudo...as long as video within app has DD available it plays in 5.1 out the SPDIF to my AVR when I select DD in audio out options..

I wouldn't think playing via USB or over the network should make a difference on the sound option.

I'm on 1114.4 firmware--holding off on .5 to determine what others say about it. My AVR is a Denon 2112CI and I believe FW is up to date.


This sounds like however the sound option is being pushed through the SPDIF your AVR cannot handle the codec no matter what source you have.
post #3269 of 6701

Ahhh... So there is no fix for the TV..  Well looks like I will have to invest in an external HDMI switch with Toslink - monoprice has a few.  They even have one with ARC but that is almost twice the price.  Too bad the manufactures have not figured this out.  I don't understand why a $2,500 TV can't support a function that a $45 external switch does.  Shame on the manufactures - they want to push the media hub aspect, but can't quite get all of the audio stuff figured out.  Sigh.

 

Thanks for your help.

 

As for bulgolgiman -

Quote:
 ^^dissapointing. Advertising for this series tv suggests it can be used as a media hub and had 5.1 decoder but it won't pass through/out to receiver???

 

Yes, this TV will not pass externally supplied 5.1 via HDMI to its TOSLINK output.  If you want to enjoy 5.1 from your DVD/BluRay, or DirectTV box you have to connect them (DVD, BluRay, DirectTV, ...) directly to your receiver via HDMI or TOSLINK in order to experience the 5.1 surround.

 

Maybe someday the TV manufactures will get this figured out, until then we will be forced to have tons of cables and remotes and switch multiple devices when we change TV sources. 

post #3270 of 6701
^^how is it working for adgrimes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread