or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - Page 14

post #391 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashii View Post

Second, although I want to calibrate the TV's as good as I can I suffer really hard on stuttering/juttering problems found on older models (I found ES impossible to watch due the continous juttering on sports shows).
How bad are this effects on this year ? Can anyone upload to youtube some tests with soccer,golf or tennis? Sports are usually is the best way to detect all this problems. How bad are this year's sets?

Give me some HD 1080p sports youtube links from YouTube that you are concerned about and I will record them then repost on YouTube and share. (It's easier for me not to just directly record a game on my ESPN as I work when most games are on).

Maybe someone will beat me to the punch and upload video of various sports.
post #392 of 6677
Does anyone else's top "pull down" thing that shows HDMI-CEC, Input 1 etc randomly just pull down for a few seconds while watching TV?

For some reason mine does this intermittently - during a show. At first I figured it was because of a commercial or whatever when the input signal changes from one resolution to something else - and decided to pay closer attention - but I've even noticed it during a show when there's not a change in resolution.

Hopefully what I'm trying to describe makes some sort of sense.
post #393 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzco83 View Post

Hi Everyone!

So after going through a Sony HX729 and HX850, I was able to get a refund from Sony as I had a horrible experience with them.mad.gif

I first purchased the 55ES8000 with which I was pleased at first. Unfortunately as the first week went by I started noticing flash lighting on the corners and a lot of banding. Needless to say, I went back to Best Buy and had it returned and paid the difference to get the 55F8000. rolleyes.gif

My experience with the F8000 has been amazing so far. No issues found as of yet (no flash lighting, no banding) Uniformed brightness throughout panel. 3D is amazing when coming from the previous Sony TV's that I had. 2D picture is gorgeous and makes watching a movie a truly pleasant experience. Even my wife that normally doesn't care about the image and all the features of the TV noticed the huge difference of quality when she first saw this TV.

I will have Best Buy come down to calibrate the TV soon and will post more of my impressions as time goes by.



Thanks for this. We need some real owners to post their impressions of this set. Too much conjecture going on around here.
post #394 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

rolleyes.gif I'm a moderator on another forum using the same software. Finding out how many posts an individual made in a specific thread is sooooo simple.
I've seen it. The F8000 seems to be searching for HDMI legitimacy. I can run a signal through a receiver to a video processor to a Darblet to the display and sometimes I see the recheck every few minutes, sometimes not at all. Big mystery.

I've seen it as well. Found relief in switching HDMI cables from my receiver to the TV. I made sure all HDMI cables were the same grade. Category 2, 1080p, Type A

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Meters/dp/B003L1ZYYM/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0
post #395 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by znutz View Post

I've seen it as well. Found relief in switching HDMI cables from my receiver to the TV. I made sure all HDMI cables were the same grade. Category 2, 1080p, Type A

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Meters/dp/B003L1ZYYM/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0
Thanks Buzz and znutz. I'm using all Monoprice 28awg high speed 6ft HDMI cables and may consider switching to the new Redmere cables Monoprice offers if this issue continues. (Even though I like having different colored cables that match my Monoprice ethernet cables for each source). Can't really imagine it's the cables I have though. Wonder if it may be resolved in a future firmware update for the F8000.
post #396 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by znutz View Post

I've seen it as well. Found relief in switching HDMI cables from my receiver to the TV. I made sure all HDMI cables were the same grade. Category 2, 1080p, Type A

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Meters/dp/B003L1ZYYM/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0

I normally run Source > AVR > Display or Source > AVR > Processor > Display and sometimes add a Darblet in between the Processor and the Display. I never had a problem with the previous display and the same cables. The fix has been to disconnect/reconnect HDMI somewhere in the chain but I have yet to narrow it down to just one device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

Thanks Buzz and znutz. I'm using all Monoprice 28awg high speed 6ft HDMI cables and may consider switching to the new Redmere cables Monoprice offers if this issue continues. (Even though I like having different colored cables that match my Monoprice ethernet cables for each source). Can't really imagine it's the cables I have though. Wonder if it may be resolved in a future firmware update for the F8000.

I have two 6' (Product ID: 9167) and one 15' (Product ID: 9169) Redmere cables. I find the unidirectional necessity a little strange but I really like the diameter size and flexibility. I have one device, think it was an Accupel DVG 5000 pattern generator, that didn't work with them but otherwise they're okay.
post #397 of 6677
The F8000 reviewed by Televisioninfo.com : http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/samsung-f8000-review ( I know It's a controversial page, so I agree completely with eagle_2 ) . From what I've seen ,until now, the F8000 European version have more possibilities to suffer of clouding than the american one because the lack of the smart led feature ( there are more members complaining about that in Avforums Uk than here. Have you seen the pics from howsoonisnow7 ? ). I don't know if I'm wrong , but I still believe the smart Led could help minimize that issue better than cinema black ( because It does make the screen darker , although it could go against "purists" if you prefer turning it on either standard or low ). I'll wait for more pics from you before making a final decision. Thanks everybody for your comments ( every day I learn more and more ). See u !
Edited by AGUSTINFOREVER - 4/9/13 at 7:52am
post #398 of 6677
Last year the general consensus in the ES8000 thread about televisioninfo was that they aren't very reputable in terms of their information, based on many comments finding fault with some of their testing methods. Still, it will be interesting to read what they think of it. I can't speak one way or the other towards them because I don't have enough technical knowledge to challenge their calibration methods. I do think I remember though questioning some of the comments they made towards last year's sets. Thanks for posting the link for us!
post #399 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

First of all, the Standard mode isn't working on the F8000 with the present firmware. - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/300#post_23163014

Movie mode, BL 20 (max), Cont 100 = 84 FtL and no clipping. But what's the point? It won't be watched at this level. "Normal" day viewing is in the 50-60 FtL area and Night should be 30-35. Assuming the display will be watched at some normal light output leaves only the dark end for increasing ANSI contrast, and once you set black level with the Brightness control you live with whatever it measures. The only way to get better black level, and thus higher contrast level, is to buy it.

The idea being that you can increase light output at a given backlight setting by increasing the green gain, thus reducing clouding and flashlighting for those that have it. You can still balance without clipping.
post #400 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestoneman View Post

Anyone care to comment on whether the F8000 is too much TV if I don't care about the web browsing/apps/bells and whistles? I have a niche built for a 50" plasma, but the LCD bezel allows for a 55". Been researching for a while and I've been waiting for the F8000, but I really only need it for the PQ.

Does anyone know if the other F series models will offer the same PQ with some of the features stripped off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post

Having had the F8000 for about a week, I'm starting to think exactly that. I run a HTPC (full on quad core windows PC) to it, which is much better and faster at doing any of the "smart features" I have played with on the TV. Do the extra picture adjustment options make that much of a difference? Perhaps, but not using all of the smart features yet still paying for them is proving a tough pill for me to swallow. Like you mentioned though, the form factor of the unit is really slick....worth an extra several hundred bucks from a 2012 set?...I'm starting to think no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

I have my laptop and my xbox which pretty much offer all of what samsung already offers. I feel that with the issues that were seen on the ES series the PQ on this tv might not be "better" but just have less problems. Although as you mentioned before stuttering is occuring for you and another person. I am going to turn on HGTV tonight see what happens.

*EDIT* hgtv panning shots all began with a stutter step at the begining of each new panning scene.

I don't care about the web browsing/apps/bells and whistles too, i didn't get the ES model cause of them, Sadly it was the "EVO KIT" that swung me back to samsung.
Same could be said for the F model which seems to be not all that more efficient then ES @ smart hub/ gimmicky features & still Always slower then a PC.
For apps/streaming my PC,xbox 360 & PS3 do a Much better job then all that smartazz hubba bubba .
In hindsight Looking @ the evo kit does feel like an Insult promo.
It's Not too much TV, it's Too much Hubba Bubba ! ! !
Edited by OugaBooga - 4/9/13 at 11:11am
post #401 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Yes, the ES series remote control works with the F8000 and the D series remote works also.

so does the C remote from the plasma.
post #402 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by OugaBooga View Post

so does the C remote from the plasma.

I think most Samsung Remotes will work with other Samsung TVs. I have a remote from an old LN-T4661F Samsung LCD that works with three of my Samsung TVs, one being the ES8000, EH6000, and D630.
post #403 of 6677
Can anyone tell me if I'm crazy.

I want to take the output signal from my Onkyo - and send it to an HDMI splitter input - then send 3 of those outputs from the HDMI splitter to 3 of my F8000's 4 inputs.

That way I have Input 1 for TV with it's own calibration settings, Input 2 for the Bluray with it's own calibration settings and Input 3 for my Xbox/PS3/WiiU with it's own calibration settings - but I still have the audio from my Onkyo AVR.

Does it make sense to do this? Will it even work?
post #404 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

Can anyone tell me if I'm crazy.

I want to take the output signal from my Onkyo - and send it to an HDMI splitter input - then send 3 of those outputs from the HDMI splitter to 3 of my F8000's 4 inputs.

That way I have Input 1 for TV with it's own calibration settings, Input 2 for the Bluray with it's own calibration settings and Input 3 for my Xbox/PS3/WiiU with it's own calibration settings - but I still have the audio from my Onkyo AVR.

Does it make sense to do this? Will it even work?

So you want to take multiple HDMI sources, plug them into your receiver, use the built in switching of your receiver to have a single HDMI output. Then you want to re-spit that single HDMI output, which has already been switched, to multiple separate outputs?

If Im understanding you correctly, there will be no way for your HDMI switch to do that second change, as it wont know which source is which, it just sees the single HDMI output from the receiver.
post #405 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

Can anyone tell me if I'm crazy.

I want to take the output signal from my Onkyo - and send it to an HDMI splitter input - then send 3 of those outputs from the HDMI splitter to 3 of my F8000's 4 inputs.

That way I have Input 1 for TV with it's own calibration settings, Input 2 for the Bluray with it's own calibration settings and Input 3 for my Xbox/PS3/WiiU with it's own calibration settings - but I still have the audio from my Onkyo AVR.

Does it make sense to do this? Will it even work?

Why not just bypass the Onkyo and send three separate video-only signals straight to the Sammy?
post #406 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

So you want to take multiple HDMI sources, plug them into your receiver, use the built in switching of your receiver to have a single HDMI output. Then you want to re-spit that single HDMI output, which has already been switched, to multiple separate outputs?

If Im understanding you correctly, there will be no way for your HDMI switch to do that second change, as it wont know which source is which, it just sees the single HDMI output from the receiver.

I can't figure out how to multiquote so I'll try to address both replies here.

This monoprice splitter seems like it'd be fine - 1 input and 4 outputs. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011307&p_id=7618&seq=1&format=2 I really shouldn't care if the splitter is sending the same signal to all 3 inputs on the Sammy as I'll only be viewing whatever input I need to view - right? The Onkyo is the item that's doing the switching to the correct source and sending that signal to the splitter then the TV - which is then set to the correct input?

Moonhawk - I don't have enough inputs on either the Samsung or Onkyo to accomplish that. I'm already using 1 of the Onkyo's toslinks for the sound FROM the Sammy when using Smart Hub apps (I was having ARC issues with the Sammy making my Onkyo turn back on after being switched off so I did it that way) which only leaves me with 3 audio inputs (1 toslink and 2 coaxials). The Samsung only has 4 inputs - I have an Xbox, PS3, WiiU, Bluray and the output from the Onkyo - so I'd need 5. That's not even adding in my old HD-DVD that'd I'd like to put back in the mix someday when I can afford an AVR with more than 5 inputs.

Ultimately - I'd just like the sound from all sources to go through the Onkyo via HDMI and have 3 separate outputs of of the Onkyo to 3 inputs on the Sammy so I have 3 different sets of calibration settings for each source. I was just thinking the hdmi splitter I linked above might be a good way to accomplish that.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to reply and offer your thoughts. Hopefully my post makes sense.
Edited by BillKen - 4/9/13 at 12:54pm
post #407 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

I can't figure out how to multiquote so I'll try to address both replies here.

This monoprice splitter seems like it'd be fine - 1 input and 4 outputs. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011307&p_id=7618&seq=1&format=2 I really shouldn't care if the splitter is sending the same signal to all 3 inputs on the Sammy as I'll only be viewing whatever input I need to view - right?

Moonhawk - I don't have enough inputs on either the Samsung or Onkyo to accomplish that. I'm already using 1 of the Onkyo's toslinks for the sound FROM the Sammy when using Smart Hub apps (I was having ARC issues with the Sammy making my Onkyo turn back on after being switched off so I did it that way) which only leaves me with 3 audio inputs (1 toslink and 2 coaxials). The Samsung only has 4 inputs - I have an Xbox, PS3, WiiU, Bluray and the output from the Onkyo - so I'd need 5. That's not even adding in my old HD-DVD that'd I'd like to put back in the mix someday when I can afford an AVR with more than 5 inputs.

Ultimately - I'd just like the sound from all sources to go through the Onkyo via HDMI and have 3 separate outputs of of the Onkyo to 3 inputs on the Sammy so I have 3 different sets of calibration settings for each source. I was just thinking the hdmi splitter I linked above might be a good way to accomplish that.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to reply and offer your thoughts. Hopefully my post makes sense.

Oh, I see what you are saying. I think that device will split your signal so that 4 TVs can simultaneously watch the same input. I have no idea if that has any impact on picture quality. In your chain, you have now switched the signal twice, once in the receiver and again at the HDMI switch. Several places to impact the picture along the way. Otherwise I dont see why that wouldnt work.
post #408 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

Oh, I see what you are saying. I think that device will split your signal so that 4 TVs can simultaneously watch the same input. I have no idea if that has any impact on picture quality. In your chain, you have now switched the signal twice, once in the receiver and again at the HDMI switch. Several places to impact the picture along the way. Otherwise I dont see why that wouldnt work.

Yes - that is my main concern - if this will impact PQ or not. I figured even if it didn't work I was only out the RMA shipping return to Monoprice. But I don't want to screw up my picture.

Thanks!
post #409 of 6677
How is the f8000 at streaming Netflix content(movies, shows, etc.) through the 'smart hub'?
post #410 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1MM View Post

How is the f8000 at streaming Netflix content(movies, shows, etc.) through the 'smart hub'?

I'm not a Netflix subsriber so I can't comment on that particular app but I will say the Amazon Video app works great. I've always used my PS3 for Amazon Video until now - the F8000 works great for it and is easy and smooth to navigate - the streaming works great. I'll continue using the F8000 instead of my PS3. Very happy with it. My dad's a Netflix subscriber - maybe I'll ask him for his info so I can give it a whirl on the F8000. If I do I'll report back.
post #411 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

I'm not a Netflix subsriber so I can't comment on that particular app but I will say the Amazon Video app works great. I've always used my PS3 for Amazon Video until now - the F8000 works great for it and is easy and smooth to navigate - the streaming works great. I'll continue using the F8000 instead of my PS3. Very happy with it. My dad's a Netflix subscriber - maybe I'll ask him for his info so I can give it a whirl on the F8000. If I do I'll report back.

I think you have to calibrate the smart hub separately, so I just use the PS3 for everything.
post #412 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

Yes - that is my main concern - if this will impact PQ or not. I figured even if it didn't work I was only out the RMA shipping return to Monoprice. But I don't want to screw up my picture.

Thanks!

No idea, sorry! Although for a $40 device, Im sure the components are not super high quality.
post #413 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

Give me some HD 1080p sports youtube links from YouTube that you are concerned about and I will record them then repost on YouTube and share. (It's easier for me not to just directly record a game on my ESPN as I work when most games are on).

Maybe someone will beat me to the punch and upload video of various sports.

Usually, white, yellow or orange (balls) over green field shows some stuttering effects on suddently velocity changes (which happens on tennis' services all the time due change on speed and angle)

I know the source itself maybe isn't the best but It's the best I found:
[Full HD] Novak Djokovic Vs Janko Tipsarevic SF HIGHLIGHTS ATP TOR...

The only problem is that I see, right now, some ghosthing effect on the youtube video itself so maybe the stuttering effect can be overrided by ghosting. Anyway I really thank you.
Edited by Kanashii - 4/9/13 at 2:47pm
post #414 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashii View Post

Usually, white, yellow or orange (balls) over green field shows some stuttering effects on suddently velocity changes (which happens on tennis' services all the time due change on speed and angle)

I know the source itself maybe isn't the best but It's the best I found:
[Full HD] Novak Djokovic Vs Janko Tipsarevic SF HIGHLIGHTS ATP TOR...

The only problem is that I see, right now, some ghosthing effect on the youtube video itself so maybe the stuttering effect can be overrided by ghosting. Anyway I really thank you.

You are right, that ghosting is bad! I will see if I can't find any old tennis match on tonight on a sports chan. If not, I will resort to that source. Will 90 seconds be sufficient? I plan on recording it in 1080P.
post #415 of 6677
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

Yes - that is my main concern - if this will impact PQ or not. I figured even if it didn't work I was only out the RMA shipping return to Monoprice. But I don't want to screw up my picture.

Thanks!

If the theory about all HDMI cables are equal holds true, then PQ should not be impacted by the HDMI splitter. The theory is that HDMI cables transmit a digital signal of 1's and 0's, and the cable either transmits the signal or doesn't. You may need to adjust your AVR to delay the sound for any additional lag from the splitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1MM View Post

How is the f8000 at streaming Netflix content(movies, shows, etc.) through the 'smart hub'?

Netflix doees great through the the smart hub. My daughter watches a lot of sesame street on Netflix, and the picture quality, and bass level amaze me for it being a PBS show. I've also watched a few episodes of House of Cards, and it also had great picture quality. I have the TV set up to my wireless network, and almost all of the time the loading screen only comes on once. Every once in a while it will have to load again in the first couple of minutes watching.
post #416 of 6677
What Netflix Software does the F8000 use? Is it like the PS3/Xbox360 or more like the older Netflix from Tivo where you have to put the movies in queue instead of scrolling titles?
post #417 of 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashii View Post

Usually, white, yellow or orange (balls) over green field shows some stuttering effects on suddently velocity changes (which happens on tennis' services all the time due change on speed and angle)

I know the source itself maybe isn't the best but It's the best I found:
[Full HD] Novak Djokovic Vs Janko Tipsarevic SF HIGHLIGHTS ATP TOR...

The only problem is that I see, right now, some ghosthing effect on the youtube video itself so maybe the stuttering effect can be overrided by ghosting. Anyway I really thank you.

Uploading it now. Link will be live in a few @ http://youtu.be/q7dDRMssDmM

Sorry as I have a little wall in picture, there was no tennis on this late at night. I will try this weekend and set up my actual tripod for recording too instead of proping it on an angle.

*Edit*
Setings were Buzzards Movie Settings(Movie mode, 10 backlight... The only change was I had Smart LED on low, I keep experimenting with it between low and standard).
Edited by adgrimes - 4/10/13 at 6:49am
post #418 of 6677
Golf was the ultimate test of my ES8000, fast panning shots, light backgrounds, seeing if the ball blurrs.

Lucky the masters starts tomorrow to test my new F8000 which comes later today
post #419 of 6677
post #420 of 6677
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

What Netflix Software does the F8000 use? Is it like the PS3/Xbox360 or more like the older Netflix from Tivo where you have to put the movies in queue instead of scrolling titles?

When you first open the netflix app it gives you 2 options. 1 is the full netflix library, the other is "Netflix for Kids". The are both set up similar to what you would see on the netflix website. The top of the full version has a search bar when you can type in a title, actor, etc, then under that is what is is your online que, then under it I think is recently viewed, then a section of recommendations based on your recently viewed. then there are a bunch of categories, like tv comedies, reality tv, movie comedies, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread