or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - Page 29

post #841 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Nope. Sorry, there's really nothing you can do to improve viewing angles. Some people can't live with the viewing angles, and some can. In my opinion, this is a horrible set to consider for a family or for those who have lots of friends over, unless your friends like it cozy. It would be a great set to have a date over though - "You have to come sit over here with me, honey, or you won't be able to see the screen". wink.gif

Seriously though, the viewing angles might not be an issue for some, especially those who just plop into their chair directly in front of the set and settle in for movie-night. I sit at my PC a lot and when my girlfriend is watching the tv from where she sits, the screen looks awful from my PC area.
I would expect that there is no degradation as long as you are in front of at least some part of the screen. Assuming that's correct, when viewing from about 13', what do you think is the maximum distance from an end of the screen you can view w/o any material degradation?
post #842 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Thanks, but the last option there, "reset", is also greyed out. Now what? Why are all these options greyed out for me?

You could try a factory reset.

Menu>
Support>
Self Diagnosis>
Reset>
post #843 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickstv View Post

You could try a factory reset.

Menu>
Support>
Self Diagnosis>
Reset>

And then there go all my settings. Ridiculous. More inconvenience from Samsung. I shouldn't have to lose all my settings to make this option available. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just frustrated that this isn't working the way it's supposed to in the first place. Does Samsung test these features before they put them out?
post #844 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSko View Post

Here's the Samsung keyboard:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-accessories/VG-KBD2000/ZA

I agree that the remote won't do it for the internet, but until I'm able to watch TV at the same time as browse the internet, I don't see me using the browser too much (I instead just use my laptop while watching).

Thanks for the link, but I should have said a keyboard other than a samsung. I've been reading about the Logitech k400, from what I've read so far I think it will work with the F8000. Anyone else considering this keyboard?
post #845 of 6823
Just check on the Samsung site...New Firmware Version for F8000.

1101.2
post #846 of 6823
How has clouding been? Any vshaped clouding?
post #847 of 6823
I just struck out with BB, Electronic Express and 2 other big box stores while attempting to get them to price match Abe's of Maine and Greystone Appliances for either the 55Es8000 or 55F8000. They used the "not an authorized Samsung Reseller" excuse.

Guess I'll keep looking...
post #848 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickstv View Post

Just check on the Samsung site...New Firmware Version for F8000.

1101.2

IS it me or does samsung always say "improves picture quality" .....ok who's going to be the guinae :cool:pig
Edited by adgrimes - 4/30/13 at 7:13pm
post #849 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post

How has clouding been? Any vshaped clouding?

I can only speak for my own experience, but I have no dreaded "V" clouding - or any clouding at all. I know it's hard to believe, but I have zero clouding. I do have some mild flashlighting, but it's nowhere near as bad as the awful clouding I had on my ES series set last year. I had the "V" last year and it looked awful. This panel looks so much better.
post #850 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

IS it me or does samsung alwasy save "improves picture quality" .....ok who's going to be the guinae :cool:pig

Yeah, improved picture quality, fixed bugs. It will say that every update now until the last one they put out for the set. It would be nice to know what exactly these "improvements" are.

I think it's a running list. So if 3 updates ago they "improved picture quality", then they say that on every update, even though the latest update may not have anything to do with picture quality.
post #851 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by boidsonly View Post

I just struck out with BB, Electronic Express and 2 other big box stores while attempting to get them to price match Abe's of Maine and Greystone Appliances for either the 55Es8000 or 55F8000. They used the "not an authorized Samsung Reseller" excuse.

Guess I'll keep looking...

Sorry to hear that. It's hit or miss with Best Buy. I had to try 2 stores but I got lucky I guess. One store wouldn't budge and one was willing to talk. First they rejected my request to match Greystone Appliances but offered me $200 off instead. I asked if they would meet me at Abe's of Maine's price, and they agreed. They told me being a Silver member helped me a bit there.

If you have another Best Buy nearby give it a try again. Every store has wiggle room, depending on the management.
post #852 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

IS it me or does samsung always say "improves picture quality" .....ok who's going to be the guinae :cool:pig

I guess I'll be the guinea pig. My set has dead pixels anyways so no matter whether I decide I like the F8000 or not, this one is still going back. So I might as well update the set and see what happens.

But without proper notes, how is anybody supposed to know anyways what they changed?
post #853 of 6823
Updating...
post #854 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Sorry to hear that. It's hit or miss with Best Buy. I had to try 2 stores but I got lucky I guess. One store wouldn't budge and one was willing to talk. First they rejected my request to match Greystone Appliances but offered me $200 off instead. I asked if they would meet me at Abe's of Maine's price, and they agreed. They told me being a Silver member helped me a bit there.

If you have another Best Buy nearby give it a try again. Every store has wiggle room, depending on the management.
i had to go to 3 best buys for a pricematch
post #855 of 6823
***WARNING***

The new update will erase all your settings and reset your tv to factory defaults! Be prepared for that, and copy down all your current settings. And be sure to thank Samsung for the lack of care with their updates. This happened last year once too.
post #856 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I guess I'll be the guinea pig. My set has dead pixels anyways so no matter whether I decide I like the F8000 or not, this one is still going back. So I might as well update the set and see what happens.

But without proper notes, how is anybody supposed to know anyways what they changed?

Take pictures
post #857 of 6823
Where do you go to update?
I have the 55 f8000, and when I go to 'Update Now', it says that there are no updates. I had the TV for about 2 weeks, and all it updated is the camera firmware on the first day I got it.
post #858 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1MM View Post

Where do you go to update?
I have the 55 f8000, and when I go to 'Update Now', it says that there are no updates. I had the TV for about 2 weeks, and all it updated is the camera firmware on the first day I got it.

Yeah, Samsung is lame like that. Sometimes the tv can't find any updates, even when there are updates available.

Go to Samsung.com, search for F8000, and then select your size. The from there you can select "support", then "downloads". The new firmware will be there as a .zip file. Download the .zip file, and extract it onto an empty USB flash drive - make sure the drive is empty other than the firmware. The folder on the USB drive will be named "image". Be sure the folder "image" is on the drive. Then just plug the USB drive into any USB port on the tv and go to "support" in the menu, then firmware update. It will ask if you want it to look for updates on the USB drives - select yes and it will update.
post #859 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

Take pictures

No camera. I only have access to a camera when I borrow my girlfriend's dad's camera.

Now that I've put my settings back in (thanks, Samsung!), I can say this so far - the only thing that seems to have changed with the update is that Samsung has now broken Cinema Black.

It no longer seems to do anything. Up until yesterday, experimenting with Cinema Black, it was obvious that it made a difference on the CinemaScope letterbox bars. I wasn't a fan of what it did to the image, but it did make a difference in the bars. As of the update, it makes zero difference. Cinema Black seems to currently have no effect on the bars. I've tried it on several films with varying amounts of light, and the bars don't change even slightly.

I see no picture improvements, but then when they don't tell you what they did, it's hard to know what to look for.
post #860 of 6823
Haha, I just mean take pictures to take note of menu settings. I always use my camera phone to "note" how things were smile.gif

Well, what about game mode and pc mode any changes in lag or options?
post #861 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

Haha, I just mean take pictures to take note of menu settings. I always use my camera phone to "note" how things were smile.gif

Well, what about game mode and pc mode any changes in lag or options?

Oh, yeah that would work well actually to keep a record of settings without having to write it all down whenever I make a change. My phone doesn't have a camera (cheap Tracfone), but my tablet has a small camera - lousy, but it might work for that purpose. Good idea.

I can't take any more input lag tests since I returned the camera, and I haven't tried any gaming since the update, so I can't say if anything has changed there or not. I really can't see any difference in the picture quality, other than the Cinema Black which no longer seems to do anything.
post #862 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Yeah, Samsung is lame like that. Sometimes the tv can't find any updates, even when there are updates available.

Go to Samsung.com, search for F8000, and then select your size. The from there you can select "support", then "downloads". The new firmware will be there as a .zip file. Download the .zip file, and extract it onto an empty USB flash drive - make sure the drive is empty other than the firmware. The folder on the USB drive will be named "image". Be sure the folder "image" is on the drive. Then just plug the USB drive into any USB port on the tv and go to "support" in the menu, then firmware update. It will ask if you want it to look for updates on the USB drives - select yes and it will update.
.
My TV is on 1015, is it worth updating?
post #863 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1MM View Post

.
My TV is on 1015, is it worth updating?

I don't think anybody can accurately say one way or another because nobody has any idea what the update does. Samsung keeps us all in the dark about what these updates do and it's very frustrating. I can say that I have not seen any noticeable difference other than the fact that now Cinema Black seems to not be working. For that reason, I might suggest waiting until more owners come forward who may have already taken the update and see what they think.
post #864 of 6823
Am intererested in some opinions. I have wall mounted a 60" F8000 in my basement. While there aren't any windows, I do have high hat lighting that my wife and I like to keep on while watching. There are in total 4 high hats, each 75 watts. We dim two of them about 80% and the other two we have just about fully on. Anyway, I just got the set about a week ago and am debating whether to keep it or exchange it for its plasma sister (F8500). The reasons I'm considering the plasma are for viewing angle and blacks. However, I do love the design of the LED vs the plasma and already have some modest screen reflections due to the glossy screen and am concerned that the plasma would be even worse (is that right?). Also, probably 90% of the time the only people watching are me and my wife and so viewing angle is probably not critical. Anyway, given my setup and usage, anyone want to volunteer pros/cons of the F8500 vs F8000 and give me a recommendation?
post #865 of 6823
Question:

On the new F8000 sets for anyone using the digital optical audio OUT to an A/V receiver, Bose system, etc. for their sound:

Q: Does the Optical Audio Out carry a Dolby 5.1 signal from your HDMI inputs (for example a TiVo, cable box, DVD player, AppleTV etc.)?

Last year's ES8000 series would only output PCM 2.0 over the Optical Out when the source was a HDMI input. (It did output Dolby 5.1 from the TV's own internal source such as SmartHub).

Anyone willing to test or who knows from experience - would be appreciated and save me buying a digital optical switch to go to my Bose system.

Thanks!
post #866 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by sony1717 View Post

Question:

On the new F8000 sets for anyone using the digital optical audio OUT to an A/V receiver, Bose system, etc. for their sound:

Q: Does the Optical Audio Out carry a Dolby 5.1 signal from your HDMI inputs (for example a TiVo, cable box, DVD player, AppleTV etc.)?

Last year's ES8000 series would only output PCM 2.0 over the Optical Out when the source was a HDMI input. (It did output Dolby 5.1 from the TV's own internal source such as SmartHub).

Anyone willing to test or who knows from experience - would be appreciated and save me buying a digital optical switch to go to my Bose system.

Thanks!
No change from last year in that department, i.e., it does NOT output DD 5.1 in that situation, at least for me it doesn't.
post #867 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSko View Post

No change from last year in that department, i.e., it does NOT output DD 5.1 in that situation, at least for me it doesn't.

Yeah, that will remain the same. That isn't Samsung - it's regulations that specify that restriction. It has to do with limiting the audio signal carried over optical due to piracy concerns (as if that makes one lick of difference).
post #868 of 6823
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_p View Post

I have everything plugged into and passing through the Onkyo right now. I guess I could plug the Bluray into the TV direct and since ARC is working properly, it'd pass the audio along to the receiver. I'm only setup to use 5.1 dolby digital audio anyway so it's not like I'll lose much of anything.

I'm a little confused on your set-up. If you have everything connected to the Onkyo, then 1 HDMI going from the Onkyo to the TV, then changing the TV source won't change what the Onkyo is passing through to the TV.
post #869 of 6823
HX950 Blooming apocalypse.

photo.JPG 528k .JPG file
post #870 of 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post

HX950 Blooming apocalypse.

photo.JPG 528k .JPG file

I throw the bogus whining challenge flag. Give me a break, willya. You and that UK guy are looking at TVs at excessive angles and complaining about picture quality. LCDs are known to have worse off-axis viewing than plasmas, but you guys insist at viewing at 30 or 20 degree grazing angles and then whining. How are you going to see anything at all with the viewing angle you just posted? Show that same screen viewed head on and let's see if there are halos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread