or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 57

post #1681 of 11470
Thread Starter 
Anyone will tell you what you want to hear. Better deals out there, but not a landslide unless you figure in taxes and delivery. Many, many sales ploys out there to make you spend more cash than needed. Many honest and dishonest salesman out there ( They know who they are )

--My question would be who did you call or e-mail before you bought ?? If you are within a return period you can still ask these questions......
post #1682 of 11470
Originally Posted by Pinger

+1
Same here, coming from years of LCDs it is a bit of a different look then my eyes were accustomed to but I adjusted to it after very little time..
Hate to bring up that poor beaten horse again but I need a little a little clarification about the" pops", are you guys talking of a bright "pop" of light or as Wizz called it '"pulsing/flicker''?? I've never seen the pops but I have seen "pulsing/flicker'' which I was able to eliminate via settings..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

The pulsing/flicker was an issue with the Sharp Elite that some had and some didn't. There was a software fix that was released that reduced the issue for many. But this has nothing to do with what we're discussing here.

Sorry, it seems that there are issues brought up here that have absolutely nothing to do with the F8500. Sorry for any confusion.


Pinger & Ross,
What settings did you do exactly that helped lower the 'brightness pops/flicker'? Ive read thousands of post the last 3 wks & have heard what everyone has said... Im not having a pro calibrator done, so unless theres a way to get to this day-cal mode, Im only able to try the 'which I was able to eliminate via setting' to get rid of the brightness pops/full-page flicker.

I have tryed everything anyone has said to help the pops & the only thing that seems to help is to have the cell light at 10 & too have the black settings on. There are a lot less pops with it at 10.
Thanks for reply-ing
post #1683 of 11470
I'm going crazy. I want to buy a TV badly and I do not have many options available at the moment.

Today I went to Samsung's showroom here and they informed me that the 2013 models will not be available in Middle East until at least June mad.gif So at least two more months to go.
Really can't wait eek.gif

Now asking about the 2012 model prices. Man they are INSAAAANE mad.gif

ES8000 55 inch : $3,200
ES8000 60 inch: $5,300
ES8000 65 inch: $6,600

E8000 64 inch Plasma: $3,500

And the salesperson was telling me that they have been reduced!! eek.gif

When Asked about how much the 2013 models are expected to be priced he said about 30-40% higher than these prices.

They are robbing people here. I don't know what to say but consumers in the US are really lucky to have more choices and competitive prices
post #1684 of 11470
HDMI level is greyed out for YCbCr input, it's available for RGB input.
Edited by zoyd - 4/8/13 at 5:21am
post #1685 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

Now you really have me wondering why my HDMI Black level is greyed out, I have/use only HDMI connected to my TV ( Comcast digital HD receiver and a Samsung blu-ray player)

Can you post what model# Box you have? I have the RNG110 from Comcast and mine isnt greyed out. I wonder If its a setting in the setop box causing it. You tried hooking it directly to TV?
post #1686 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by wboffthelake View Post


Another issue - whenever I watch sports or a newscast on a plasma at a store, the ticker bar blurs somewhat when it starts to move. With LCDs, the ticker on a 60 Hz model is blurry, a 120 Hz model is better, and a 240 Hz model is perfect. I thought plasma wasn't supposed to have a problem with motion?

Yes I have seen that as well on all my Plasma sets. With the F8500 there is a film mode setting and when set to Auto 2 it completely eliminates the blurred text.
post #1687 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson ------ View Post

Originally Posted by Pinger

+1
Same here, coming from years of LCDs it is a bit of a different look then my eyes were accustomed to but I adjusted to it after very little time..
Hate to bring up that poor beaten horse again but I need a little a little clarification about the" pops", are you guys talking of a bright "pop" of light or as Wizz called it '"pulsing/flicker''?? I've never seen the pops but I have seen "pulsing/flicker'' which I was able to eliminate via settings..
Pinger & Ross,
What settings did you do exactly that helped lower the 'brightness pops/flicker'? Ive read thousands of post the last 3 wks & have heard what everyone has said... Im not having a pro calibrator done, so unless theres a way to get to this day-cal mode, Im only able to try the 'which I was able to eliminate via setting' to get rid of the brightness pops/full-page flicker.

I have tryed everything anyone has said to help the pops & the only thing that seems to help is to have the cell light at 10 & too have the black settings on. There are a lot less pops with it at 10.
Thanks for reply-ing

Well, forget the pulsing/flickering that was discussed in Wiz's post. That pertained only to the Elite. The 8500 doesn't have anything resembling that. Unfortunately it's confusing enough dealing with every display's unique issues, but then we get confused with a totally different display's issues, thinking that pertains to 8500. Not good.

That's why I really think it's counterproductive to start talking about another display's issues in a thread not pertaining to that display. It inevitably creates confusion as it has here.

Now I'm a bit confused about your post. You first say you've never seen the pops, but you've seen flicker. But later in your post you say you've done everything to eliminate the 'pops'. So I'm really not sure what you've seen.

The pops are captured perfectly in this video posted by an owner several pages back. If this is what you see, then it is pops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E27SvJKVkdo

As to eliminating it, all I can tell you is in 2 hours of viewing at Robert's store, we saw one instance of it. When we switched to a calibrated Cal Day mode, that one instance was gone. We kept replaying it with the Cal Day and could not get it to repeat. As soon as we switched to Movie mode, it was back.

I don't know what settings within Cal Day eliminated it.
post #1688 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson ------ View Post

Pinger & Ross,
What settings did you do exactly that helped lower the 'brightness pops/flicker'? Ive read thousands of post the last 3 wks & have heard what everyone has said... Im not having a pro calibrator done, so unless theres a way to get to this day-cal mode, Im only able to try the 'which I was able to eliminate via setting' to get rid of the brightness pops/full-page flicker.

I have tryed everything anyone has said to help the pops & the only thing that seems to help is to have the cell light at 10 & too have the black settings on. There are a lot less pops with it at 10.

Just a guess, but the flicker Pinger eliminated by settings may have been the flicker others reported with cell light at 16 and 17. Regarding the pops, Ken has said that it was eliminated in the calibrated Cal-Day mode but that he does not know the specific calibrated settings.
post #1689 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmlb View Post

Can you post what model# Box you have? I have the RNG110 from Comcast and mine isnt greyed out. I wonder If its a setting in the setop box causing it. You tried hooking it directly to TV?

My Comcast box is Xfinity's Cisco RNG150 and it is connected directly via HDMI..

Just a FYI for others reading here I have absolutely NO banding or POPS here with my 51F8500, just had to put that out there..
What I do have is exactly what I hoped for, LED brightness combined with the blacks and contrast of plasma..
Side note: I do now have is a annoying habit of when full white broadcasts come on I find myself looking HARD for banding and pops, crazy huh smile.gif
post #1690 of 11470
Well, my band issue remains and the unit is going back. I'll let you guys know how I fare with unit #2 in a few days. Thanks for all of your help and support.
post #1691 of 11470
About the faint Band on some F8500 Plasmas.
It is normal for Plasmas. My D-Series has it, and my friends B-Series has it too. Even my replacement Panel last year has the band at he exact same position and intensity.
It is visible on nearly every plasma out there. It can be reduced by voltage adjustments but with the sideffect of a bit of linebleeding.
post #1692 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soopermario View Post

About the faint Band on some F8500 Plasmas.
It is normal for Plasmas. My D-Series has it, and my friends B-Series has it too. Even my replacement Panel last year has the band at he exact same position and intensity.
It is visible on nearly every plasma out there. It can be reduced by voltage adjustments but with the sideffect of a bit of linebleeding.
WHAT??? That is totally unacceptable and the very first I've heard of anyone saying that this is an inherent characteristic of plasma panels. I have an older 720p Sony plasma that does not exhibit this at all. I'd be most interested to hear from others if this is something they've ever heard of. If it is I'm cancelling my order and going with an LED/LCD. This is TOTALLY unacceptable!
post #1693 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

WHAT??? That is totally unacceptable and the very first I've heard of anyone saying that this is an inherent characteristic of plasma panels. I have an older 720p Sony plasma that does not exhibit this at all. I'd be most interested to hear from others if this is something they've ever heard of. If it is I'm cancelling my order and going with an LED/LCD. This is TOTALLY unacceptable!

Im not sure of that as you ahve heard there are others that dont see the band on the sets they have viewed or own.......Maybe like the ABL its someting you need to be sensitive to, but when I was in Magnolia yesterday I didnt see any band and say light (white) and dark scenes with mixtures inbetween. The only defects I saw were due to the source...
post #1694 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

WHAT??? That is totally unacceptable and the very first I've heard of anyone saying that this is an inherent characteristic of plasma panels. I have an older 720p Sony plasma that does not exhibit this at all. I'd be most interested to hear from others if this is something they've ever heard of. If it is I'm cancelling my order and going with an LED/LCD. This is TOTALLY unacceptable!

I have a D series for the time being and I've never seen any hint of a "faint band" going across the screen. That post was news to me as well.

EDIT: I also own a Panasonic plasma from around 2008 and have never noticed anything like that on the Panasonic either.
post #1695 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

My Comcast box is Xfinity's Cisco RNG150 and it is connected directly via HDMI..

Just a FYI for others reading here I have absolutely NO banding or POPS here with my 51F8500, just had to put that out there..
What I do have is exactly what I hoped for, LED brightness combined with the blacks and contrast of plasma..
Side note: I do now have is a annoying habit of when full white broadcasts come on I find myself looking HARD for banding and pops, crazy huh smile.gif

Have you gone into the user settings? Turn OFF the digital cable box (not the TV) and then immediately press MENU on the digital cable box remote. An on-screen picture settings list will appear on your TV. I have format set to 1080i only so it doesnt change resolutions when changing channels. Not sure If yours has any other settings that may affect the HDMI feature but worth a look.

Maybe try another brand HDMI cable?
Edited by surfmlb - 4/8/13 at 8:01am
post #1696 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

WHAT??? That is totally unacceptable and the very first I've heard of anyone saying that this is an inherent characteristic of plasma panels. I have an older 720p Sony plasma that does not exhibit this at all. I'd be most interested to hear from others if this is something they've ever heard of. If it is I'm cancelling my order and going with an LED/LCD. This is TOTALLY unacceptable!

If you go with a large screen LED, unfortunately you'll have worse banding than most plasmas I've seen. Virtually every Sony XBR950, IMO the best currently available LED, has banding to some degree or another. Some owners are bothered by it and many others are not. But the bottom line is that once you get to screen sizes of 60" or more, banding seems inevitable on LEDs. frown.gif
post #1697 of 11470
I've got some very faint banding on my Panasonic 65ST30 plasma, but it's hardly noticeable during content at any time. The brightness fluctuation is what concerns me most about the F8500 at this point. I will be very sensitive to that as I was the 64D8000 - had to return that set after 3 weeks.
post #1698 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

If you go with a large screen LED, unfortunately you'll have worse banding than most plasmas I've seen. Virtually every Sony XBR950, IMO the best currently available LED, has banding to some degree or another. Some owners are bothered by it and many others are not. But the bottom line is that once you get to screen sizes of 60" or more, banding seems inevitable on LEDs. frown.gif

Well, I guess the real question that remains is whether or not banding is a native problem of plasma panels as was suggested by the poster a few posts up. I've certainly never heard of this and, as I said, my 42" Sony plasma did not exhibit any light bands at all. This is a deal breaker issue for me so I'd appreciate any reply relevant to this that you (or others) can offer.
post #1699 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

Well, I guess the real question that remains is whether or not banding is a native problem of plasma panels as was suggested by the poster a few posts up. I've certainly never heard of this and, as I said, my 42" Sony plasma did not exhibit any light bands at all. This is a deal breaker issue for me so I'd appreciate any reply relevant to this that you (or others) can offer.

What's weird is that when we were examining the 64" F8500, D-Nice put up a full-field white screen and there wasn't a trace of banding that we saw. In fact, it's screen uniformity was truly one of the best I've ever seen in a large screen flat panel.

I'm going to look specifically for this when I go next to Magnolia, but thus far I've never seen it. Even the BB loop which has lots of brilliant whites that would normally show this, didn't seem to show a trace of it. Now I wasn't looking for it at that time, since I was really concentrating on popping. But I guess even if it were there, it couldn't have been significant enough to draw my eyes to it.

You gotta love this stuff. Every new display I'm interested in, it seems to be inevitable that we go through this 'pain'. wink.gif
post #1700 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

WHAT??? That is totally unacceptable and the very first I've heard of anyone saying that this is an inherent characteristic of plasma panels. I have an older 720p Sony plasma that does not exhibit this at all. I'd be most interested to hear from others if this is something they've ever heard of. If it is I'm cancelling my order and going with an LED/LCD. This is TOTALLY unacceptable!

Calm down, it is not as bad as it sounds. smile.gif
On most sets it will nether be noticeable. I can not explain this thing in english, sorry. Maybe Zoyd can.
It has something to do with how the panel is devided in horizontal and vertical areas for the drive(current).
within an area the brightnesslevel is the same, but another area can have a slightly different brightnesslevel.
If you can see this difference depends on your eyes capabilities.

To test if there are visible Bands on a Samsung Plasma activate the scrolling pattern and try to see it. It takes time. The Samsung engineer who changed my panel couldn't see the Band until I showed it to him.
post #1701 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soopermario View Post

It has something to do with how the panel is devided in horizontal and vertical areas for the drive(current).
within an area the brightnesslevel is the same, but another area can have a slightly different brightnesslevel.
If you can see this difference depends on your eyes capabilities.

To test if there are visible Bands on a Samsung Plasma activate the scrolling pattern and try to see it. It takes time. The Samsung engineer who changed my panel couldn't see the Band until I showed it to him.

Just to be clear, let me explain what I'm referring to. I am not referring to alternating areas of the screen that are respectively lighter or darker. Or that have different levels of brightness. What I'm referring to is a 1-2mm line that crosses the entire screen about 2" from the top that is 'out of synch' and a bit brighter than the rest of the screen. It it not visible at all in dark or black scenes but is quite apparent in scenes that have a lot of orange, blue or yellow. It does not come and go....it is a constant and is unaffected by signal source or input. I have already arranged to have this unit sent back and another one will be on its way to me by the end of the day (props to Crutchfielf for superb customer service BTW). Samsung was unable to do anything to resolve the issue. They explained that their "remote sessions" in which they 'take over' your TV is really only designed to help with network issues and not with QC or malfunction issues.

I hope this clarifies what I've been talking about. And, for me, it IS a big deal and a deal breaker. I won't pay for a brand new unit only to have a faint band of out of synch light (think of someone going directly across your screen with a medium tip felt tip pen to get an idea of the width of the band I'm talking about). This is not what a brand new, out of the box product should do. If I have the same or similar problems with the replacement F8500 I'll be looking elsewhere. Maybe a Panny plasma or (gasp) an LED/LCD. Bottom line I'm not having anything in my house that exhibits this out of the box.
post #1702 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

Just to be clear, let me explain what I'm referring to. I am not referring to alternating areas of the screen that are respectively lighter or darker. Or that have different levels of brightness. What I'm referring to is a 1-2mm line that crosses the entire screen about 2" from the top that is 'out of synch' and a bit brighter than the rest of the screen. It it not visible at all in dark or black scenes but is quite apparent in scenes that have a lot of orange, blue or yellow. It does not come and go....it is a constant and is unaffected by signal source or input. I have already arranged to have this unit sent back and another one will be on its way to me by the end of the day (props to Crutchfielf for superb customer service BTW). Samsung was unable to do anything to resolve the issue. They explained that their "remote sessions" in which they 'take over' your TV is really only designed to help with network issues and not with QC or malfunction issues.

I hope this clarifies what I've been talking about. And, for me, it IS a big deal and a deal breaker. I won't pay for a brand new unit only to have a faint band of out of synch light (think of someone going directly across your screen with a medium tip felt tip pen to get an idea of the width of the band I'm talking about). This is not what a brand new, out of the box product should do. If I have the same or similar problems with the replacement F8500 I'll be looking elsewhere. Maybe a Panny plasma or (gasp) an LED/LCD. Bottom line I'm not having anything in my house that exhibits this out of the box.

Could you please take a picture or video of the line? I think would be helpful for people to understand what you are seeing.
post #1703 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmlb View Post

Could you please take a picture or video of the line? I think would be helpful for people to understand what you are seeing.

I took a good brief video of it on my cell phone that shows it pretty clearly. How do I post a cell phone video on this site?
post #1704 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

Well, my band issue remains and the unit is going back. I'll let you guys know how I fare with unit #2 in a few days. Thanks for all of your help and support.

Did you by any chance review the set on Amazon? There is a review on Amazon where the author describes exactly what you are talking about on here.
post #1705 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

Did you by any chance review the set on Amazon? There is a review on Amazon where the author describes exactly what you are talking about on here.
Yup, that's me!
post #1706 of 11470
I think I figured out how to do it. Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPRzx-7-Gjo
post #1707 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

I took a good brief video of it on my cell phone that shows it pretty clearly. How do I post a cell phone video on this site?

I used skydrive and posted a link or you could upload to youtube.
post #1708 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

I think I figured out how to do it. Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPRzx-7-Gjo

Oh yeah, I see that not good. definitely issue many of us dont have.
post #1709 of 11470
I went through this last year when i bought my PN60E8000 all the bightness POPs the Buzzing issue and issue after issue. i was starting to think i had the only set without problems and i got very worried that something was going to go wrong. People would report that their tv Buzzed i would report that mine didn't, people would post back saying if your old you can't hear the buzzing because all Plasmas Buzz, that is not the case i have two Plasma a PN50C700 and a PN60E8000 and they both don't BUZZ. so what i'm trying to say is those TV are great for me. I have no BUZZ i still to this day have not seen any IR on my PN60E8000 and my set is running flawlessly, but if you came into this forum OMG you would think that it was the worst TV made. i do Admit that my PN50C700 has IR but it fades after watching full screen content so i'm a little more carefull whith that one when watching ESPN CNN and stations with static logo's but the IR fades.
I'm not going to get a new PN60F8500 this year because my E8000 has just now turning a year old so i'll be getting the evolution kit instead.
all i'm saying is that these TV's are great enjoy them and don't worry unless you have real problems.
post #1710 of 11470
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

I think I figured out how to do it. Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPRzx-7-Gjo
I had a line show up like that on my laptop screen a few years back. The flat panel screen had to be replaced. Funny that doesn't show up on a dark/black background. That line looks so much lighter than dark.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]