or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 80

post #2371 of 11459
Just wanted to report that once I knocked the contrast to 85 from 95, the fluctuations have decreased to the point that its bearable and the -10 that I knocked off really isn't noticeable so I'm pleased. It's looking like the set will be staying here until the next upgrade in a few years. I can't get over how natural the pic is on this tv. Plus it's plenty vivid and bright at 85 contrast.

I'll also report once I hear from the Sammy engineer. If anybody has any questions that they want me to ask, let me know as I'd like to help the owners and prospective owners out.
post #2372 of 11459
I may be the only one in the USA that cares about IR codes, but has anyone found a Samsung Infrared remote control that will control (some/all of) the F8500's functions? I have found a few old discrete functions that work, but I could use some of the more common functions.

Thanks
Gary
(Hoping this question doesn't get lost in the fast pace of this thread) wink.gif
post #2373 of 11459
I can confirm gaming lag on my pn60f8500--pretty bad-but when I switch to gaming mode it improves considerably...however it is still not where I would like it to be. I casually play games with my kids and online sporadically--nothing major.
post #2374 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfatboy2003 View Post

Hoping now that some of the PQ issues are dying down ... we could move on to some of the other features of this model. I've read very little about the Smart TV features ...

I've got a perfectly fine PN50C6500 ... but am intrigued by the Smart Features on this model, e.g. recommendations, hand gestures, guide data, etc.

How well do they integrate with a STB (Tivo in particular? It would be great to sometimes say "what football is showing" or the like.

How well does the remote work with other equipment? I've got an Onkyo HT-S9400THX and a Onkyo BD-SP809 (Blu Ray).

Amen to that people come in here to gripe if i came here looking to buy a Samsung or a Panasonic with all the issues???? i would never buy anyrhing or if i did i would find something wrong with something and return set after set costing the Manufacturer lots of Money and then who paysfor that in the long run US the consumer with higher priced electronics to make up their losses. lets enjoy these TV's let talk about the features
post #2375 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.ds View Post

I may be the only one in the USA that cares about IR codes, but has anyone found a Samsung Infrared remote control that will control (some/all of) the F8500's functions? I have found a few old discrete functions that work, but I could use some of the more common functions.

Thanks
Gary
(Hoping this question doesn't get lost in the fast pace of this thread) wink.gif

What device are you looking to enter codes for? I know Harmony suggests using the PNE8000 as the device to map the remote to.
Are you missing certain controls that you are loooking for specifically?

I think most of the codes from the PNE8000 should work for this TV....

The funny thing is the EU version seems to come with both an old style remote and the new style.....
post #2376 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

Amen to that people come in here to gripe if i came here looking to buy a Samsung or a Panasonic with all the issues???? i would never buy anyrhing or if i did i would find something wrong with something and return set after set costing the Manufacturer lots of Money and then who paysfor that in the long run US the consumer with higher priced electronics to make up their losses. lets enjoy these TV's let talk about the features

Disagree we need to hear about the good AND the bad in order to make an informed decision. While these are enthusiat forums its based off of troubleshooting issues, if you not having issues then msot of the time you are enjoying your TV and not looking for answers wink.gif
post #2377 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Disagree we need to hear about the good AND the bad in order to make an informed decision. While these are enthusiat forums its based off of troubleshooting issues, if you not having issues then msot of the time you are enjoying your TV and not looking for answers wink.gif

i agree but the common person COMES IN HERE would be scared away from bujying such a great TV. have you noticed that it's always the same people that have all kinds of issues
post #2378 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by arenaman View Post

There's a lot of posts to take in on this thread but I've got a 55" F8000, had it 2 days and it's got banding so I might go for the 64 F8500.

I like a bright screen (not a dynamic fan by any means) I like a blueish tint to the whites, ie standard mode, standard CT. I would be really disappointed to see a dull lifeless screen, is this F8500 going to be to my liking?

Any other major issues, buzzing, banding, IR?

Thanks

If you look a few posts up I covered just what you were asking lol...
No buzz here at all(unless you press your ear against the tv but not recommended haha)
I never had a plasma before but like you I needed bright whites and the pop LCDs can give, my previous TV was A850 LCD (best Samsung had when I bought it) and believe me my 51F8500 is as bright or brighter, I have daytime brightness at 46 where on my LCD it never saw brightness below 50.
But the blacks on the F8500 still wows me and the picture is much sharper and like I said I like real bright whites and I am getting them AND this is with my Color Tone set at Warm 1 where on my LCD it would have been on Cool although if you wanted it bluer you can lower the F8500's Color Tone to Standard or Cool, for me warm 1 gives me the perfect white I like.. see attached photo and tell me how those whites look to you on warm 1 smile.gif (taken with my phone not a camera lol)


Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

Yes, it is 64". I think "The Masters" is the perfect event to see exactly what this issue is and if it can be fixed. WATCH THE BALL AS THE CAMERA FOLLOWS IT ABOVE THE TREES AND INTO THE SKY. That shows the issue much more clearly than hockey.

I'm going to try the contrast below 75 and cell light at 20 today...although it seems crazy to have to do something that extreme to be able to enjoy watching "The Masters", which I have never had any issue with in the past. That event uses the best HD camera's made and should look stunning on virtually any HD TV, but nooooooo : (

Not seeing any thing strange with my 51', with the ball in flight I'm just seeing blue skies and white clouds and I've been watching The Masters for 3 days now(Watched the par 3 wed) and like you I look forward to the Masters, incredible quality camera work with the immaculate fairways and colorful flowering throughout the course, I actually pushed up my buying date on my F8500 a month just for the masters and the NCAA Mens champ wink.gif
post #2379 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

i agree but the common person COMES IN HERE would be scared away from bujying such a great TV. have you noticed that it's always the same people that have all kinds of issues

It doesnt matter who is having the issues, until they (the problems) are resolved I would continue to post what I did\didnt do so that when someone comes here looking for help, the answer may already be here (if it were me having issues). While I agree if someone didnt know better and was a lurker they may be scared, but its part of making an informed decision. Usually if someone rreally wants the TV they post about it and ask if there are really that many issues...then they can get a reply form someone whos been here for a bit wink.gif ....If we only talked about the good stuiff then it would give the impression that a TV\piece of equipment is trouble free, which NONE are.

Its great to talk about the features theres nothing wrong with that, and I never said there was, there is only so much you can say about some of the featurtes though.....I am sure owners will chime in with how they like certain things, but right now we dont ahve that many to start with wink.gif give it time smile.gif
post #2380 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

It doesnt matter who is having the issues, until they (the problems) are resolved I would continue to post what I did\didnt do so that when someone comes here looking for help, the answer may already be here (if it were me having issues). While I agree if someone didnt know better and was a lurker they may be scared, but its part of making an informed decision. Usually if someone rreally wants the TV they post about it and ask if there are really that many issues...then they can get a reply form someone whos been here for a bit wink.gif ....If we only talked about the good stuiff then it would give the impression that a TV\piece of equipment is trouble free, which NONE are.

Its great to talk about the features theres nothing wrong with that, and I never said there was, there is only so much you can say about some of the featurtes though.....I am sure owners will chime in with how they like certain things, but right now we dont ahve that many to start with wink.gif give it time smile.gif

I'M sorry i totally see your point
post #2381 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

I've been watching The Masters for 3 days now(Watched the par 3 wed) and like you I look forward to the Masters, incredible quality camera work with the immaculate fairways and colorful flowering throughout the course, I actually pushed up my buying date on my F8500 a month just for the masters and the NCAA Mens champ wink.gif

I hope you're watching in 3D. In doing so one gains a lot of respect for Augusta National....
post #2382 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Considering its only been about two hours I am going to go with a no wink.gif check back tonight and you may have your answer smile.gif

Hehe. Ok so I checked out gaming and PC usage.
  • Standard mode is unacceptable.
  • Switching on Game mode is considerably better but IMO still borderline unacceptable for first person style games.
  • Changing the Input name of the HDMI input to PC makes things considerably better still - and I'd say brings it in line with being acceptable for me.

Another 20ms shaved off would probably be perfect but, for me, but I find changing the input to PC makes it quite playable.
post #2383 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmen911 View Post

I can confirm gaming lag on my pn60f8500--pretty bad-but when I switch to gaming mode it improves considerably...however it is still not where I would like it to be. I casually play games with my kids and online sporadically--nothing major.

Try changing the input label of your gaming input to "PC". It should lower your input lag by another factor.
post #2384 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

It doesnt matter who is having the issues, until they (the problems) are resolved I would continue to post what I did\didnt do so that when someone comes here looking for help, the answer may already be here (if it were me having issues). While I agree if someone didnt know better and was a lurker they may be scared, but its part of making an informed decision. Usually if someone rreally wants the TV they post about it and ask if there are really that many issues...then they can get a reply form someone whos been here for a bit wink.gif ....If we only talked about the good stuiff then it would give the impression that a TV\piece of equipment is trouble free, which NONE are.

Its great to talk about the features theres nothing wrong with that, and I never said there was, there is only so much you can say about some of the featurtes though.....I am sure owners will chime in with how they like certain things, but right now we dont ahve that many to start with wink.gif give it time smile.gif

I agree and the reason I've been here and at the panasonic ST forums for the past few months, decided in January it was new TV time again..
But in my case I've yet to find a issue (knock on wood) with my 51F8500, it definitely met AND exceeded my expectations and believe me I had high expectations with all of the Samsung hype of LED brightness + Plasma blacks/contrast.. IMHO they pulled it off..
As for features, after over a week I still didn't get into the 3D, voice, gesturing connecting my tablet/phone or whatever else it can do, I'm just totally digging the PQ and re-watching my fav movies and shows..
I can't see any TV beating the 51F8500 for best TV under 60" this year..
post #2385 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

I hope you're watching in 3D. In doing so one gains a lot of respect for Augusta National....

Haven't broke out the 3D glasses yet but now I have too!!! tongue.gif
post #2386 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessender View Post

Hehe. Ok so I checked out gaming and PC usage.
  • Standard mode is unacceptable.
  • Switching on Game mode is considerably better but IMO still borderline unacceptable for first person style games.
  • Changing the Input name of the HDMI input to PC makes things considerably better still - and I'd say brings it in line with being acceptable for me.

Another 20ms shaved off would probably be perfect but, for me, but I find changing the input to PC makes it quite playable.

Not sure if they will shave that much time off as most would not use this as a gaming rig set wink.gif its probably a low priority for them....Thank you for taking teh time to test things out, looks like the good ole PC trick is still around wink.gif
Edited by Ph8te - 4/12/13 at 4:12pm
post #2387 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

What device are you looking to enter codes for?

A Global Cache IP2IR.
Quote:
Are you missing certain controls that you are looking for specifically?

Yeah, I have some holes in the OTA TV commands (like the #0), and I don't have a clue where to get all the specialized commands like the Media Hub, etc. The Samsung remote I have codes for is way too old for any of those.
Quote:
I think most of the codes from the PNE8000 should work for this TV

Well, that's a thought, I could go to BestBuy or someplace that has both TVs, and perhaps give the remote control a try before trying to buy one.

Quote:
The funny thing is the EU version seems to come with both an old style remote and the new style

Interesting, I wonder if it would work for the US F8500? Anybody know?

Thanks
Gary
post #2388 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Yes I went to one of the Magnolias nad saw one, they didnt list it as available on the BB website, but luckily they had 2 on display the 64" in the "main" room and the 51 in the audio room. The 64 was the only one playing any content and that content feed was horrible, had artifacts, fluctuations and what looked like some type of interference that showed up as some type of IR......Looking past that though I didnt notice anything off with the set, personally the "off angle" viewing was better then I thought it would be as the pictures earlier in the thread greatly exaggereted the effect. It was there, but I had to be right on the TV in order to see it....I thought the picture looked the most natural of the sets there, but unfortunately I wasnt able to play with the settings. I am planning on going back with a USB for some test material and my Harmony One (ill download the settings for the PNE8k) so I can play with the settings...From waht I saw it didnt deter me from wanting to buy the TV smile.gif

I am a little hesitent becasue of the reports of fluctuations, but as we ahve seen thsoe can be "corrected" but really whats the point of having a brighter TV if you cant have it display those bright settings wink.gif I dont watch Hockey really, so I am more interested in its overall performance when it comes to fluctuations...

Im waiting on the VT reviews and hopefully having them set up at one of the local Magnolias so I can compare the two as I think personally the ZT may not offer "enough" of a benefit over the VT in terms of performance for the price premium.......

Much like you though I am still "high" on the F8500.

Since the room it will go into can get fairly bright during the day, I will needa TV that can combat that for day\early evening viewing when the Sun will be shining....


Sure. I only see pops when its on ice/sand traps content, so that would be the only time I have contrast down to 74 (which you can raise brightness, if you think its too dull@74) would be when watching that type of content (as an option... Im more used to it now & it doesnt bother a much as before, expecially if your into the action and not starring at floor/ice...) Its always good to have an options...

In terms of PQ, Ive watched Pioneer Kuro quality for years and Iam used to that standard of PQ quality. With the tweaks to the settings I have now, this hdtv PQ & deep colors is looking wicked. Iam very happy now and Iam picky about quality.
post #2389 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.ds View Post

A Global Cache IP2IR.
Yeah, I have some holes in the OTA TV commands (like the #0), and I don't have a clue where to get all the specialized commands like the Media Hub, etc. The Samsung remote I have codes for is way too old for any of those.
Well, that's a thought, I could go to BestBuy or someplace that has both TVs, and perhaps give the remote control a try before trying to buy one.
Interesting, I wonder if it would work for the US F8500? Anybody know?

Thanks
Gary

Im pretty sure someone used a remote from the E series on this set once in the store, it was very early on so I cant be 100%......I would try them and see if it works out, most likely they will, samsung doesnt change that much usually......you might even try the D series standard remote codes.....I wasnt able to find any part information on the remotes though........
Edited by Ph8te - 4/12/13 at 4:34pm
post #2390 of 11459
My older LNB550 remote works fine. I use it instead of the crummy pad remote when I'm tweaking.
post #2391 of 11459
It's funny a bit. I'm shopping for my first ever flat screen (yes, my wife and I have been making do with a 720p Samsung CRT for the last years). So, anyway, I hear great things about this PN51F8500 and then I come to this site and it scares the heck out of me reading all these negative posts! So much so that I was thinking that perhaps (for roughly the same money), I should be looking a Sony W802 LCD. But then I do wonder whether the problems discussed here are blown a bit out of proportion because, as someone pointed out, people who *didn't* have a problem probably aren't posting here.

Anyway, I totally appreciate everyone's comments on this forum and thread.

I do have one question about the PN51F8500. Anyone find that it runs too hot? I'm in Southern California where summers can be warm, and our house is pretty basic in terms of insulation. Will this thing warm up my living room noticably?

Thanks again for all the comments...it's cool getting everyone's perspective...
post #2392 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyvn View Post

It's funny a bit. I'm shopping for my first ever flat screen (yes, my wife and I have been making do with a 720p Samsung CRT for the last years). So, anyway, I hear great things about this PN51F8500 and then I come to this site and it scares the heck out of me reading all these negative posts! So much so that I was thinking that perhaps (for roughly the same money), I should be looking a Sony W802 LCD. But then I do wonder whether the problems discussed here are blown a bit out of proportion because, as someone pointed out, people who *didn't* have a problem probably aren't posting here.

Anyway, I totally appreciate everyone's comments on this forum and thread.

I do have one question about the PN51F8500. Anyone find that it runs too hot? I'm in Southern California where summers can be warm, and our house is pretty basic in terms of insulation. Will this thing warm up my living room noticably?

Thanks again for all the comments...it's cool getting everyone's perspective...

I can tell you I have an older 50C7000 which does warm up my den but that's a four year old TV then I have a PN60E8000 last year's model that one is more energy efficient and doesn't get as hot and doesn't heat up the living room so I would think that the new f8500 would be on pare with the E8000 JMHO I'm in the process of replacing my C7000 with A 51F8500 but that's still a few months away I was very impressed when I visited the Mongolia room at BB
post #2393 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyvn View Post

It's funny a bit. I'm shopping for my first ever flat screen (yes, my wife and I have been making do with a 720p Samsung CRT for the last years). So, anyway, I hear great things about this PN51F8500 and then I come to this site and it scares the heck out of me reading all these negative posts! So much so that I was thinking that perhaps (for roughly the same money), I should be looking a Sony W802 LCD. But then I do wonder whether the problems discussed here are blown a bit out of proportion because, as someone pointed out, people who *didn't* have a problem probably aren't posting here.

Anyway, I totally appreciate everyone's comments on this forum and thread.

I do have one question about the PN51F8500. Anyone find that it runs too hot? I'm in Southern California where summers can be warm, and our house is pretty basic in terms of insulation. Will this thing warm up my living room noticably?

Thanks again for all the comments...it's cool getting everyone's perspective...

The problems are magnified here and in any forum,...so take everything with a grain of salt......So far the 51" users have reported the least issues

As far as heat, I think it was mentioned very early on that this TV does not run hot, but I could be wrong and I am sure an owner will chime in sooner or later.....I dont think this TV will ever get hot enough to heat up the room smile.gif

The best advice would be to go see this TV in person to see if you like it....

T
post #2394 of 11459
You have nothing to worry about concerning the 8500 warming up your room. They run cool....I have a 51" 8500, and it runs much cooler than my older 42" plasma did. Picture is outstanding!! You won't be sorry if you purchase this tv. You will enjoy it for years to come!!
post #2395 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

The problems are magnified here and in any forum,...so take everything with a grain of salt......So far the 51" users have reported the least issues

As far as heat, I think it was mentioned very early on that this TV does not run hot, but I could be wrong and I am sure an owner will chime in sooner or later.....I dont think this TV will ever get hot enough to heat up the room smile.gif

The best advice would be to go see this TV in person to see if you like it....

T

I have the 64" and it runs pretty cool.
post #2396 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I know if he want a XBR-65HX950 he needs to buy now before they are gone.......

I keep thinking about the 950 everyday.
post #2397 of 11459
Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam, but this thread is so massive and is moving so fast; can anyone comment on the ABL pops on the 60" model specifically? Any difference in occurrence of said pops in 2D and 3D? Thanks!
post #2398 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw 

I keep thinking about the 950 everyday.

that's what love is all about 'tongue.gif
post #2399 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher12 View Post

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam, but this thread is so massive and is moving so fast; can anyone comment on the ABL pops on the 60" model specifically? Any difference in occurrence of said pops in 2D and 3D? Thanks!
It has and especially in the past two weeks. For what it's worth, it's a major debate discussion so you're not going to get an answer that someone else won't challenge. is consistent because there is a wide range of experiences with pops.
Edited by htwaits - 4/13/13 at 11:53am
post #2400 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyvn View Post

It's funny a bit. I'm shopping for my first ever flat screen (yes, my wife and I have been making do with a 720p Samsung CRT for the last years). So, anyway, I hear great things about this PN51F8500 and then I come to this site and it scares the heck out of me reading all these negative posts! So much so that I was thinking that perhaps (for roughly the same money), I should be looking a Sony W802 LCD. But then I do wonder whether the problems discussed here are blown a bit out of proportion because, as someone pointed out, people who *didn't* have a problem probably aren't posting here.

Anyway, I totally appreciate everyone's comments on this forum and thread.

I do have one question about the PN51F8500. Anyone find that it runs too hot? I'm in Southern California where summers can be warm, and our house is pretty basic in terms of insulation. Will this thing warm up my living room noticably?

Thanks again for all the comments...it's cool getting everyone's perspective...

I can see you are new to AVS, so welcome smile.gif I think if you spend enough time here you will find a wide range of experiences and opinions, don't be intimidated or scared off, it is actually a very vibrant and healthy community with a lot of information mixed with a lot of conjecture. As a fence-sitter on the F8500 ( I am on the pre-order list for the F8500's biggest competitor the Panasonic ZT60) and having gone through a couple of high end sets over the last few months, I will say that so far the F8500's seem to be as safe a bet as anything on the market right now. Plasma tv's in general do tend to run a warmer than LCD's, but unless you are in an enclosed space and running the tv for MANY hours a day (more than 6-8) you likely won't notice any dramatic changes in room temperature. The posts that concern you might not necessarily be negative, but are fellow users trying to work through issues. It really does help to have an entire community addressing concerns rather than going it alone, and hopefully has not scared you off. If you have read through this thread you will likely have heard that there is no such thing as a "perfect" tv, and that is true, so a simple piece of advice would be to do business with a place you know and trust, that way if there is something that is a deal breaker, returning is not an unnecessarily unpleasant ordeal, and you can find a set that fits your needs while not exhibiting any "flaws" that you can't live with.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]