or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 102

post #3031 of 11532
Surflmb, Thank you for the great pictures.
You truly have a gorgeous set. Thank you for sharing the pics with us
post #3032 of 11532
The Skyfall pics are super sharp. I know we cannot judge the TV from pictures, but looking at these pictures just makes us lean more towards this TV
post #3033 of 11532
One more thing I notice from the picture is how the white is WHITE. Almost every plasma TV I have seen their whites were more gray to me even without any comparison to LEDs. But this one seems to be a different story. Loving that wink.gif
post #3034 of 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

The Skyfall pics are super sharp. I know we cannot judge the TV from pictures, but looking at these pictures just makes us lean more towards this TV

These are all action shots too they look way sharper and much better in person wink.gif
post #3035 of 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmlb View Post

These are all action shots too they look way sharper and much better in person wink.gif

Oh I bet. One question my friend. This is in movie mode right? Is it warm1 or warm2?
post #3036 of 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

Oh I bet. One question my friend. This is in movie mode right? Is it warm1 or warm2?

Warm 1. Movie mode I will post pictures of settings later I have to leave now.
post #3037 of 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmlb View Post

These are all action shots too they look way sharper and much better in person wink.gif

Thanks for taking the time to post these Surf much appreciated smile.gif
Edited by Ph8te - 4/18/13 at 9:07am
post #3038 of 11532
Hey all, I just wanted to drop a note as a 60 inch F8500 owner. I had a previous post that mentioned I had to jack my blue gain up to 38 to get whites to look right in movie mode. I also mentioned I had some buzzing. It didn't feel right, especially when so many people said that the settings looked pretty good right out of the box for most people. I swapped out my set for a new one and I'm so happy I did. No buzzing, and much better picture right out of the box on movie mode. Kevin Miller is calibrating it next week.
post #3039 of 11532
For what its worth, I work for Best Buy and have had a F5300 and a F4500 returned due to brightness pops. While I personally have only seen a brightness pop once on our 64F8500 in The Magnolia room, it would appear all models this year have this issue/feature tongue.gif Hope the pops will be fixed soon. Also we received our 60vt60 yesterday and wow it is hard to choose between these 2 model tvs. Cant wait for the shootout!
post #3040 of 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by nu02wrx View Post

For what its worth, I work for Best Buy and have had a F5300 and a F4500 returned due to brightness pops. While I personally have only seen a brightness pop once on our 64F8500 in The Magnolia room, it would appear all models this year have this issue/feature tongue.gif Hope the pops will be fixed soon. Also we received our 60vt60 yesterday and wow it is hard to choose between these 2 model tvs. Cant wait for the shootout!

What's the brightness like on the VT60? I know it's not as bright as the F8500 but do you think it's bright enough for a normally bright living room? THX bright room especially?
post #3041 of 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by nu02wrx View Post

For what its worth, I work for Best Buy and have had a F5300 and a F4500 returned due to brightness pops. While I personally have only seen a brightness pop once on our 64F8500 in The Magnolia room, it would appear all models this year have this issue/feature tongue.gif Hope the pops will be fixed soon. Also we received our 60vt60 yesterday and wow it is hard to choose between these 2 model tvs. Cant wait for the shootout!

It's just weird to me because this form of "brightness pop" has been present on these panels since at least the D series - even post "fix" when I absolutely loved the picture on that set I would see the ABL brightness pops while watching hockey and very rarely on other content. It was never enough to annoy me on other content and I got used to it during hockey games. It was much different than the Fbr on those sets that was incredibly annoying and distracting and was eventually fixed (temporarily for myself and some others).

It's just weird to me that this is such a major issue with people this year when i didn't hear much about it before. I'm extremely picky with my TV so I guess I just be less sensitive to this type of pop than some others.

Either way, I would recommend this TV without question based on my time with it over the past 5+ days.
post #3042 of 11532
I had to pass this on...Before making a trip to check out the VT60, I ended up calling five Best Buy Magnolia's that had both the VT60 and the F8500 on display and asked the sales people which picture they preferred. I decided to not even make the trip because every single one said the F8500 hands down. There was no middle ground at all...none.

One person told me he has always been a Panasonic fan when it come to plasma's, but when you see these side by side, he said it's not even close, the F8500 blows it away...it's obviously a better picture, no if's, and's or but's about it. I tried to squeeze something out of them by asking if the colors or something about VT60 picture they preferred, but they couldn't come up with anything. A couple mentioned they preferred the outer casing of the Panasonic. None even mentioned the shadow detail Ken noticed...reaffirming my belief that Ken is brutally honest with his observations.

The VT60 is out for sure now...so the only other possible option is the ZT60 with that Studio Master Panel. Will the new panel make enough difference for it to beat the F8500's picture quality...I have serious doubts about that now.

The only things that bother me about my F8500 are the fluctuations with bright backgrounds and that the blacks can be a little dominate at times. Since Samsung has said they will improve both those issues in the next firmware update...and since the ZT60 may not be available until August, I've decided not to return it....which will make the rest of my family very happy : )

ps) If anyone at AVS finds out that the information about Samsung firmware update is not accurate, please pass it along as soon as possible...Thanks!
post #3043 of 11532
Whats the difference between ABL pops and brightness pops. I dont get it...Can someone explain please
post #3044 of 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis View Post

Whats the difference between ABL pops and brightness pops. I dont get it...Can someone explain please

Most people in this thread are referring to the same thing when they mention these terms.

However, many will remember from a year or two ago the D series suffered from "brightness pops" that dealt more with the stability of blacks during dark scenes - dark scenes on certain content often resulted in flashing of the brightness which was most apparent in the blacks - black->grey->black flashing. Those brightness pops or Fbr was much more annoying than this particular function of the ABL (which was also present on the D and E series).
post #3045 of 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis View Post

Whats the difference between ABL pops and brightness pops. I dont get it...Can someone explain please

One in the same......ABL transitions are normal for plasma, the way Samsung implements it however, it seems to react too quickly making it look like a "pop" instead of a gradual decrease in brightness.......
post #3046 of 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

I had to pass this on...Before making a trip to check out the VT60, I ended up calling five Best Buy Magnolia's that had both the VT60 and the F8500 on display and asked the sales people which picture they preferred. I decided to not even make the trip because every single one said the F8500 hands down. There was no middle ground at all...none.

One person told me he has always been a Panasonic fan when it come to plasma's, but when you see these side by side, he said it's not even close, the F8500 blows it away...it's obviously a better picture, no if's, and's or but's about it. I tried to squeeze something out of them by asking if the colors or something about VT60 picture they preferred, but they couldn't come up with anything. A couple mentioned they preferred the outer casing of the Panasonic. None even mentioned the shadow detail Ken noticed...reaffirming my belief that Ken is brutally honest with his observations.

The VT60 is out for sure now...so the only other possible option is the ZT60 with that Studio Master Panel. Will the new panel make enough difference for it to beat the F8500's picture quality...I have serious doubts about that now.

The only things that bother me about my F8500 are the fluctuations with bright backgrounds and that the blacks can be a little dominate at times. Since Samsung has said they will improve both those issues in the next firmware update...and since the ZT60 may not be available until August, I've decided not to return it....which will make the rest of my family very happy : )

ps) If anyone at AVS finds out that the information about Samsung firmware update is not accurate, please pass it along as soon as possible...Thanks!

Since there is no time table, I would stick with my original reccomendation to return the TV. I would never make a decision on something that hasnt happened yet wink.gif

also, I would go see the sets in person and play with the settings if you can, take what was said to you with a grain of salt until you can see the set in person.
post #3047 of 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by nu02wrx View Post

For what its worth, I work for Best Buy and have had a F5300 and a F4500 returned due to brightness pops. While I personally have only seen a brightness pop once on our 64F8500 in The Magnolia room, it would appear all models this year have this issue/feature tongue.gif Hope the pops will be fixed soon. Also we received our 60vt60 yesterday and wow it is hard to choose between these 2 model tvs. Cant wait for the shootout!

It's interesting... I spent four hours with my brother's F5300 and saw no pops. He's not said anything about it either and that was two weeks ago since getting the set.
post #3048 of 11532
Samsung F8500 Review

http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/samsung-f8500-review-2

Excerpts:

"We've completed our full suite of tests, and one thing is abundantly clear: Samsung's F8500 is the TV to beat right now. Its contrast ratio is huge, boasting both very deep blacks and a surprising peak brightness. Its color accuracy is very good, it handles motion almost perfectly, and promises a wide viewing angle. Combining such performance with Samsung's newly revamped Smart Hub and an alluring design aesthetic makes for one very attractive TV, both inside and out."

"Samsung's new F8500 takes the proverbial cake in natural contrast ratio compared to almost any TV we've reviewed before it. To determine contrast ratio, we divide a television's 20% APL (average picture level) brightness by its 20% APL black level. The readings are taken in a light and temperature controlled environment to ensure maximum accuracy. 20% APL is roughly the same picture saturation as most content.

It's true that the F8500 does not appear to achieve the black levels of Panasonic's 2013 plasma line-up—when I tested the entry-level S60 a few weeks ago, it tested with a black level of 0.01 cd/m2 , the lowest luminance reading our current instrument is capable of. The F8500 did not achieve this level; its minimum luminance of 0.02 cd/m2 is still much darker than last year's E8000, and is a very good black level in general, but is a whole magnitude brighter than what Panasonic's plasmas have boasted this year.

Where the F8500 really "shines" is in its peak brightness, which measured 214.74 cd/m2 at 20% APL. In our collective experience, that is extremely bright for a plasma, and is very bright for a plasma also capable of such a deep black level."
post #3049 of 11532
I have no idea about how legitimate that site is, but I can guarantee you that people around here are going to have a hard time taking it seriously when it starts off by saying:

"Last year's E8000, the F8500's predecessor, took our award for TV of the Year; in short, that means that the F8500 is worth getting excited about."

I didn't check out either of last years models, but I've never gotten the impression that the E series was anything to get excited about so it's hard to take this review seriously based on this opening sentence.
post #3050 of 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

I have no idea about how legitimate that site is, but I can guarantee you that people around here are going to have a hard time taking it seriously when it starts off by saying:

"Last year's E8000, the F8500's predecessor, took our award for TV of the Year; in short, that means that the F8500 is worth getting excited about."

I didn't check out either of last years models, but I've never gotten the impression that the E series was anything to get excited about so it's hard to take this review seriously based on this opening sentence.

The E8000 did quite well in last years shootout and was no slouch, it wasnt the top set, but it wasnt a poor performer....

The problem people will ahve is that they didnt use the ANSI checkerboard for the contrast ratio wink.gif

As with any review however take everything with a grain of salt.....
post #3051 of 11532
The reviewer wasn't very forthright with the numbers. Also with the method they used to measure contrast ratio, he would have seen wider contrast ratios in the sharp elite, or just about any other flagship lcd from years past, which is the part where he lost credibility in my book. I tend to shy away from reviews that don't take ansi contrast ratios into consideration like ph8te pointed out.

It was nice to get an actual brightness number posted though.
post #3052 of 11532
Final edit...
Forgot to avoid street price discussion. My apologies.
Edited by icelt - 4/18/13 at 10:44am
post #3053 of 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

I have no idea about how legitimate that site is, but I can guarantee you that people around here are going to have a hard time taking it seriously when it starts off by saying:

"Last year's E8000, the F8500's predecessor, took our award for TV of the Year; in short, that means that the F8500 is worth getting excited about."

I didn't check out either of last years models, but I've never gotten the impression that the E series was anything to get excited about so it's hard to take this review seriously based on this opening sentence.

I have a PN60E8000 and i have had it for one year now and it's a great display great color, views well in a bright room, and it doesn't buzz. Compared to my C7000 it has no buzz either but not so good in a bright room, so i'm looking forward to replace my C7000 with an FR8500.
post #3054 of 11532
thats why i'm waiting till the end of May or begining of June as prices may ease up some
post #3055 of 11532
Anyone know if the f5500 will have the blacks of the 8500? I don't imagine it will but mine is due to arrive tomorrow and I'm thinking of swapping it out for the st60 but I dont know how much of a performance difference there is. I know the 8500 has an ar screen which would be nice! Glad you enjoy your purchase smile.gif That is one sexy tv.
post #3056 of 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post

Anyone know if the f5500 will have the blacks of the 8500? I don't imagine it will but mine is due to arrive tomorrow and I'm thinking of swapping it out for the st60 but I dont know how much of a performance difference there is. I know the 8500 has an ar screen which would be nice! Glad you enjoy your purchase smile.gif That is one sexy tv.

Most likely no, different filters, panels etc.......If price is a concern then I would go with the ST60......
post #3057 of 11532
I can tell you for sure the blacks on the F5300 are not in the same league as the F8500.
post #3058 of 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Most likely no, different filters, panels etc.......If price is a concern then I would go with the ST60......

+1
My exact 2 choices, luckily $$ wasn't a factor wink.gif
post #3059 of 11532
These are my current settings that look good to me until I can get some calibration.




post #3060 of 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

+1
My exact 2 choices, luckily $$ wasn't a factor wink.gif

As much as I love this set so far I can't say I don't have a bit of buyer's remorse looking at the price of the 60ST60 in comparison.

However, I'm fearful of IR on the Panasonic's after last year and I appreciate the brightness of this panel so that's keeping me from caring too much.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]