or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 120

post #3571 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

You are correct Ken, that's what I meant. As usual, the quality of the HD content varies depending on the movie and the channel, but with a good content, it really does look extremely close to blu-ray. There is not a huge variance like you see on other sets.It will be fun to see how nice the picture is when we try a 1080p Dierctv movie this weekend.

Another benefit with this set is how well it displays HD videos from the internet. The video picture is exceptionally clean, fits the screen perfectly, and plays through completely without any interruption. This is the first tv we've had that is actually functional to use for that kind of thing...an unexpected, but really cool feature : )

I will definitely agree with this. I wasn't expecting to use the Smart TV features at all (practically useless on the D series) but they work exceptionally well on this set and all of the apps appear to work better than their XBOX 360 counterparts.
post #3572 of 11459
A couple of us in the UK have come across a glitch, can someone try and see if it's the same with the US sets.

Play a blu ray so film mode is active, select cinema smooth then go and activate game mode, see if you get a strange screen, don't worry, power off and on clears it.
post #3573 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

Don't forget that this comparison is not fair.
You are comparing two pictures only.
1- The camera resolution at which these pictures are taken is different
2- Arenaman has taken the picture in Standard mode, yours is in warm 2

Your picture looks good too but I wonder how good your TV will look in a very bright room. Will your Kuro become dim and dull like the other plasmas? if the answer is yes then for me it is not worth to be compared to the F8500. wink.gif
Yes, the filter doesn't reject light and the screen doesn't go as bright, so a bright room would not yield as much visibility. However, you previously mentioned something about the clarity of Judi's facial features. Ah, here it is:
Quote:
Judi Dench's facial lines never been that clear and good.
wink.gif
post #3574 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Yes, the filter doesn't reject light and the screen doesn't go as bright, so a bright room would not yield as much visibility. However, you previously mentioned something about the clarity of Judi's facial features. Ah, here it is:
wink.gif

Are we really becoming screenshot warriors? wink.gif c'mon vinnie....
post #3575 of 11459
Hello, my Kuro is quite bright with a gamma 2.2 in Cinema ...
Details on the low and high lumiéres lumiéres retanscrit are very well ...

cool.gif
post #3576 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urga View Post

Hello, my Kuro is quite bright with a gamma 2.2 in Cinema ...
Details on the low and high lumiéres lumiéres retanscrit are very well ...

cool.gif

I don't understand your motivation for dragging your Kuro over into a Samsung thread. What do you gain? There are 2 Kuro threads.
post #3577 of 11459
I just wanted to see a comparo since I am interested in a F8500 or F5570 ... : Cool:
post #3578 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urga View Post

Hello, my Kuro is quite bright with a gamma 2.2 in Cinema ...
Details on the low and high lumiéres lumiéres retanscrit are very well ...

cool.gif

Just buy a F8500, calibrate it and compare smile.gif

You do take amazing pictures, though
post #3579 of 11459
I also have a Sammy A466 (2008),  which is not bad ...
I knows the brand ... wink.gif
post #3580 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urga View Post

I just wanted to see a comparo since I am interested in a F8500 or F5570 ... : Cool:

Cant really compare until we get simillar settings or both calibrated with "good" cameras....camera shots can introduce so many issues so its not really a "fair" comparison at least IMO.......Ive seen your Kuro shots so I know you have skill and a lot of practice cool.gif

Hopefully has a dslr with tripod AND a calibrated set that can take pics that would me more compareable. The best ones Ive seen are a few pages ago that were showing Snow White and the Huntsman.....
post #3581 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson ------ View Post

Whats your blur ray device, if you have ps3 it upscales all video & audio ...

Would you mind elaborating on that? For example, what does it upscale 1080p24 content to? Which audio formats does it upscale, and to what?
post #3582 of 11459
I have a good Bridge calibrated white balance manual engagement on 75 IRE pattern of Kuro ...
post #3583 of 11459
I just ordered the PN51F5500 because I'm curious of the picture quality compared to the 8500 it was just such a great deal plus it's for the den which is not my main viewing area I'm replacing a PN51C7000
post #3584 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Are we really becoming screenshot warriors? wink.gif c'mon vinnie....

I for one welcome our Kuro interlopers. We need different perspectives.

Earlier, someone said these pics are so good, so sharp and clear they look like pics of an LCD not plasma. I thought "really? you can tell that from pics? have you seen the pics of other plasmas, like in the kuro thread"? But I didn't want to be a buzzkill so said nothing.

Sure enough, someone posted a kuro pic.

We don't need this thread to devolve into a pic battle. At the same time, we shouldn't act like the Bieber fan club either.
post #3585 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post



Are you guys talking about "lined bleed"? Where there is a shadow of bright highlights into a darker backgrounds.

I guess that's probably what it is. But from what I'm gathering here on avs and based on the f8500 that's at my local bb, mine exhibited this line bleed more than what I'm hearing about (or not hearing about) and seeing on others' sets.
post #3586 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

I for one welcome our Kuro interlopers. We need different perspectives.

Earlier, someone said these pics are so good, so sharp and clear they look like pics of an LCD not plasma. I thought "really? you can tell that from pics? have you seen the pics of other plasmas, like in the kuro thread"? But I didn't want to be a buzzkill so said nothing.

Sure enough, someone posted a kuro pic.

We don't need this thread to devolve into a pic battle. At the same time, we shouldn't act like the Bieber fan club either.
I tried to make my comment balanced anyway. smile.gif The level of detail is one of the easier components to discern in such photo comparisons as well.
post #3587 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0780 View Post

I actually have all the movies in uncompressed rips and play them back with Plex set to automatically change to source refresh rate so it switches between 24Hz and 60Hz when necessary. They are all stored on a NAS and served up to all my TV's using plex media server

Are you using Plex from the Smart TV or a external player?
post #3588 of 11459
does the 8500 have Amazon instant app
post #3589 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

does the 8500 have Amazon instant app

yes
post #3590 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

I for one welcome our Kuro interlopers. We need different perspectives.

Earlier, someone said these pics are so good, so sharp and clear they look like pics of an LCD not plasma. I thought "really? you can tell that from pics? have you seen the pics of other plasmas, like in the kuro thread"? But I didn't want to be a buzzkill so said nothing.

Sure enough, someone posted a kuro pic.

We don't need this thread to devolve into a pic battle. At the same time, we shouldn't act like the Bieber fan club either.

Im actually all for the open views, most of the time more than others, I dont subscribe to the fact that you can accurately compare two sets that are not side be side with the same source and having the same camera. I mean I could take a cellphone pic, which comes out like garbage, some takes a picture of thier set with a DSLR that has been set up to take pictures of thier set. You cant compare the two.....Pictures are nicce to look at for sure, but I cant justify making comarisons on those pictures......

I agree I know Urgo has taken beautiful picutres of this Kuro in action, which why I said you really couldnt compare the two photos wink.gif .....
post #3591 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

In your situation I would investigate my Blu-ray player, and/or check the quality of the Blu-ray disks that I own in the AVS forum on Blu-ray sources. There's got to be something wrong with your Blu-ray setup if compressed DirecTV or streaming is better than your Blu-ray player..

I think you misinterpreted what he said. He felt a Directv movie on the F8500 looked better than a Blu-ray movie on other plasmas. I'm sure he'd agree a Blu-ray movie on his F8500 would look better than the same movie on Directv on his F8500. smile.gif
That may be what he meant. I wouldn't agree but it does make more sense that the way I read it. wink.gif

But, what about his guests who commented when he switched to a Blu-ray disk? That was basically why I read it the way I did.
post #3592 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

That may be what he meant. I wouldn't agree but it does make more sense that the way I read it. wink.gif

But, what about his guests who commented when he switched to a Blu-ray disk? That was basically why I read it the way I did.

The guests were commenting about what they were saying before he switched to a Blu-ray and stareted watching it.....When he was switching over they didnt realize that it wasnt a Blu-ray and made the comment....Those comments dont surprise me however we are not talking about trained eye forum folk, the gen pop unfortunately cant tell the difference unless its right in front of them and have a lot of experience with Blu-ray quality......Im sure when put head to head they would be able to tell the difference wink.gif
post #3593 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

That may be what he meant. I wouldn't agree but it does make more sense that the way I read it. wink.gif

But, what about his guests who commented when he switched to a Blu-ray disk? That was basically why I read it the way I did.

Just to clarify.. my guests thought the Directv movie was Blu-ray. Sorry for the confusion.
post #3594 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

That may be what he meant. I wouldn't agree but it does make more sense that the way I read it. wink.gif

But, what about his guests who commented when he switched to a Blu-ray disk? That was basically why I read it the way I did.

The guests were commenting about what they were saying before he switched to a Blu-ray and stareted watching it.....When he was switching over they didnt realize that it wasnt a Blu-ray and made the comment....Those comments dont surprise me however we are not talking about trained eye forum folk, the gen pop unfortunately cant tell the difference unless its right in front of them and have a lot of experience with Blu-ray quality......Im sure when put head to head they would be able to tell the difference wink.gif
You're right, I did misread it -- twice. eek.gif

Have I ever told you about the Geometry problem that I misread three times (home work, quiz, and final exam) in High School? Well ...

I've got some DVD transfers that confuse some of my relatives too, so I can't argue with your interpretation of the guest's reaction. wink.gif
post #3595 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

yes

thanks
post #3596 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Yes, the filter doesn't reject light and the screen doesn't go as bright, so a bright room would not yield as much visibility. However, you previously mentioned something about the clarity of Judi's facial features. Ah, here it is:
wink.gif

Of course I did. Saying a picture looks nice is something different than saying MY picture is better than YOURS.

Saying you see nice visible lines on a picture is totally different than comparing two different TVs based on two pictures, taken from two different cameras at two different lighting conditions in two different modes.

God how people on these forums just twist other posts for their OWN Satisfaction.
But don't worry honey my skin is so thick. You need to try harder biggrin.gif
post #3597 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urga View Post

Your F8500

My Kuro

wink.gif

OK we've hit a new low.. Posting a side by side comparision of 2 TVs not even in the same country.. REALLY???
I'm not even going to the million reasons (different cameras & sources, lighting, settings, lighting ect..) why this was totally ridiculous but just reenforced my early statements of the need for a owners thread.. If Urga's interested in a F5570/F8500 but post useless photos saying his TV is nicer then a TV he has never seen in person?? Dude get real
post #3598 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

Of course I did. Saying a picture looks nice is something different than saying MY picture is better than YOURS.

Saying you see nice visible lines on a picture is totally different than comparing two different TVs based on two pictures, taken from two different cameras at two different lighting conditions in two different modes.

God how people on these forums just twist other posts for their OWN Satisfaction.
But don't worry honey my skin is so thick. You need to try harder biggrin.gif
Try not to take it so personal, just raising an observation about your observation.
post #3599 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

Of course I did. Saying a picture looks nice is something different than saying MY picture is better than YOURS.

Saying you see nice visible lines on a picture is totally different than comparing two different TVs based on two pictures, taken from two different cameras at two different lighting conditions in two different modes.

God how people on these forums just twist other posts for their OWN Satisfaction.
But don't worry honey my skin is so thick. You need to try harder biggrin.gif

great post
post #3600 of 11459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

OK we've hit a new low.. Posting a side by side comparision of 2 TVs not even in the same country.. REALLY???
I'm not even going to the million reasons (different cameras & sources, lighting, settings, lighting ect..) why this was totally ridiculous but just reenforced my early statements of the need for a owners thread.. If Urga's interested in a F5570/F8500 but post useless photos saying his TV is nicer then a TV he has never seen in person?? Dude get real

+1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]