or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 176

post #5251 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post

Optimizing...

That word has taken on a new meaning around here! biggrin.gif
post #5252 of 11456
Finished the update and there is no question to me regarding brightness. It's come down substantially. To the point that I wish I hadn't updated. Nowhere near as bright as it was. What setting do I adjust to fix brightness without throwing greyscale off?
post #5253 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post

Finished the update and there is no question to me regarding brightness. It's come down substantially. To the point that I wish I hadn't updated. Nowhere near as bright as it was. What setting do I adjust to fix brightness without throwing greyscale off?

Turn the gamma setting up one click.

Larry
post #5254 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post

Finished the update and there is no question to me regarding brightness. It's come down substantially. To the point that I wish I hadn't updated. Nowhere near as bright as it was. What setting do I adjust to fix brightness without throwing greyscale off?

That's odd. Yours if the first report of a 'substantial' drop in brightness. Everyone else says either no change or a minor change. Did you check your settings to make sure nothing was reset such as the cell light? You might need to use that 'trick' if that was reset since you might think it wasn't by just looking at it.
post #5255 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

That word has taken on a new meaning around here! biggrin.gif

It is quite funny, now optimizing means your wishes will come true in 2 minutes tongue.gif
post #5256 of 11456
Seems I jumped the gun a bit. Just noticed that it reset my setting to "standard" mode. Changed it to Cal night and am now seeing only a slight decrease in brightness. Sorry for pulling the alarm prematurely.
post #5257 of 11456
Plasma always had the tradition of worshiping the black level, so calibrators and testers are very purist in this regard, they will always give a lot of attention and praise for the black level ... even if it reaches a quality level that the difference in the image is more theoretical than practical.

Example?
Quote:
HDTVTESTUK ZT60 Review

In any case, the TX-P60ZT65B’s ANSI contrast performance is also outstanding. It held onto its deep blacks during the ANSI checkerboard test better than any other Panasonic plasma, with blacks effectively staying put during this more difficult test, rising only by 0.001 cd/m2 to 0.004 cd/m2 relative to the full-screen black level measurement. Compare that to the step-down TX-P55VT65B, which had the same 0.003 cd/m2 full screen black level but 0.007 cd/m2 blacks assessed on an ANSI test. Just also remember that this difference is largely statistical. Due to the contrast detection characteristics/limitations of the human eye and brain (!) the tiny rise in black level is not visible due to the presence of brighter areas on screen to distract us.


If 0.003 to 0.007 rise in black level is not visible due to the presence of brighter areas (ANSI contrast), so why do they judge F8500 so inferior? The difference in the ANSI test is exactly the same 0.004 between the VT60 vs F8500. I think the calibrators should look less full black screens and more movies.
post #5258 of 11456
the 64f5500 and 64f8500 share the same panel? im not going to procalibrate the tv,just adjust to my liking and that's it!!!
post #5259 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post

Finished the update and there is no question to me regarding brightness. It's come down substantially. To the point that I wish I hadn't updated. Nowhere near as bright as it was. What setting do I adjust to fix brightness without throwing greyscale off?
Try the Eco sensor trick. Turn the Eco sensor on, set the cell light minimum to 20 and turn the Eco sensor off.
post #5260 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post

Seems I jumped the gun a bit. Just noticed that it reset my setting to "standard" mode. Changed it to Cal night and am now seeing only a slight decrease in brightness. Sorry for pulling the alarm prematurely.

Nice. Figured it had to be a setting since nobody else has reported that. Glad to hear though. smile.gif
post #5261 of 11456
Definite changes in 1103 so much so as to make previous calibrations inaccurate IMO. I posted quick and dirty findings here in the settings thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread/120#post_23298460
post #5262 of 11456
Even though the update left my greyscale unchanged. It did change all the "bells and whistles" to on (anti judder, dynamic contrast etc.)
post #5263 of 11456
Damnit pie! You post this just half an hour AFTER I update?...smh
post #5264 of 11456
Guys I am finally done calibrating, delta E is 0.8 average gamma is 2.09 my report is below.

post #5265 of 11456
I can't help but mentioning one more thing about the cnet review before hitting the sack....the calibration settings. eek.gif

What in the world could anyone possibly like about the picture at those settings. I would never of imagined the F8500 could look so horrible. The resulting picture was incredibly dull, lacked depth and definition, and the colors looked anything but normal. There is no way on earth that is the way any video production was meant to be viewed. The machines he used may have indicated the picture was correct, but it's plain to see it isn't even close.

Thank goodness I have a really talented calibrator that lives in my area. I'm very confident Buzz will do a great job, he is an exceptional calibrator, but I would be scared to try a random calibrator after testing the cnet settings. I mean...really???
post #5266 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post

Damnit pie! You post this just half an hour AFTER I update?...smh
Sorry dude. I only just upgraded tonight too.
post #5267 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmlb View Post

Did my update as well and the picture is still outstanding. It would be nice if all programming was 1080p. smile.gif Now we just need network programming to feed us some better HD. The shootout should be very interesting I will be very surprised If the F8500 doesn't win.

how about at least 1080i? 720p is only good for sports IMO.
post #5268 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

yup it sure has, which means not many issues are surfacing at this time. while I'm at it i'll confirm as well 1103 obviously fixes the pops. also to no surprise the brightness has decreased in output. I'm sure the engineers intended,and had to go this route.

Let's not forget the still rather significant brightness fluctuation problem in 3D material. I love the TV, but they really gotta fix that. eek.gif
post #5269 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBR View Post

the 64f5500 and 64f8500 share the same panel? im not going to procalibrate the tv,just adjust to my liking and that's it!!!

No, the F8500 is totally unique. But, the F5500 is also new for 2013 and does have a high quality single layer panel design. The 51" and 64" version are full 1080p and provide an excellent picture. My best friend owns the 64" and loves it. The 60" appears to be the best deal, but it actually has a lower quality screen...it's only 1080p vertically.
post #5270 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyStillRemains View Post

Seems to me like the only real remaining issue left is input lag. rolleyes.gif
I wasn't sure what the best way to contact Samsung was to report an issue like input lag, so I tried using live chat support...terrible idea. The horror stories with their customer service are not in any bit exaggerated. Anyways, If anyone knows exactly how to report such an issue, please let me know. I have this little shred of hope that Samsung will pull through once more and reduce the lag for us gamers with the next firmware update. It's worth a shot at least, right?

yes input lag (hope they can improve with FW) - but please let's all stay on Samsung about the brightness/color fluctuations in 3D. You may not watch it now but later you'll notice it and wish you'd pressured them to fix it in the same way we got them to fix the 2D issues. rolleyes.gif
post #5271 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

No, the F8500 is totally unique. But, the F5500 is also new for 2013 and does have a high quality single layer panel design. The 51" and 64" version are full 1080p and provide an excellent picture. My best friend owns the 64" and loves it. The 60" appears to be the best deal, but it actually has a lower quality screen...it's only 1080p vertically.

I've seen this comment a number of times and I don't understand it. What is it if it isn't 1920 pixels horizontally and 1080 vertically? confused.gif

Larry
post #5272 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

I can't help but mentioning one more thing about the cnet review before hitting the sack....the calibration settings. eek.gif

What in the world could anyone possibly like about the picture at those settings. I would never of imagined the F8500 could look so horrible. The resulting picture was incredibly dull, lacked depth and definition, and the colors looked anything but normal. There is no way on earth that is the way any video production was meant to be viewed. The machines he used may have indicated the picture was correct, but it's plain to see it isn't even close.

Thank goodness I have a really talented calibrator that lives in my area. I'm very confident Buzz will do a great job, he is an exceptional calibrator, but I would be scared to try a random calibrator after testing the cnet settings. I mean...really???

Absolutely agree about the CNET settings. Made my TV look pretty bleh.
post #5273 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

I've seen this comment a number of times and I don't understand it. What is it if it isn't 1920 pixels horizontally and 1080 vertically? confused.gif Larry

I think it means you can't lay down to watch HD....

[sorry]
post #5274 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessender View Post

yes input lag (hope they can improve with FW) - but please let's all stay on Samsung about the brightness/color fluctuations in 3D. You may not watch it now but later you'll notice it and wish you'd pressured them to fix it in the same way we got them to fix the 2D issues. rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I'm wondering if Samsung will actually come through on this too. I'm a bit worried since many thought that their main reason for hurrying with this fix was for the shootout. If they could fix that small issue I don't think I'd have a single complaint about this display.
post #5275 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

I think it means you can't lay down to watch HD....

[sorry]

biggrin.gif
post #5276 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

I've seen this comment a number of times and I don't understand it. What is it if it isn't 1920 pixels horizontally and 1080 vertically? confused.gif

Larry

I really don't know. That type of screen actually has a different name and is common among some of the mid/low level sets. I guess you can see the difference while watching blu-ray, but I have no experience with it.
post #5277 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

I really don't know. That type of screen actually has a different name and is common among some of the mid/low level sets. I guess you can see the difference while watching blu-ray, but I have no experience with it.

It can't be different. 1920:1080 = 16:9.

Larry
post #5278 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessender View Post

yes input lag (hope they can improve with FW) - but please let's all stay on Samsung about the brightness/color fluctuations in 3D. You may not watch it now but later you'll notice it and wish you'd pressured them to fix it in the same way we got them to fix the 2D issues. rolleyes.gif

Yes, you are right; that issue slipped my mind. 3D, although it is considered a gimmick by many, is extremely important to me as well. Here's hoping we get a 2-in-1 fix, however unlikely it may be biggrin.gif
post #5279 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

It can't be different. 1920:1080 = 16:9.

Larry

Well, it costs less rolleyes.gif
post #5280 of 11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyStillRemains View Post

Yes, you are right; that issue slipped my mind. 3D, although it is considered a gimmick by many, is extremely important to me as well. Here's hoping we get a 2-in-1 fix, however unlikely it may be biggrin.gif

Indeed - let's hope! We just need to report it as often as possible through as many channels as possible.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]