or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 178

post #5311 of 11468
Well, Lady's and Gents it's "D" day Shootout time...May the best in your opinion wins!!!. As there all winners in someone eye. smile.gif
post #5312 of 11468
Maybe so... its dated May 10th I may have jumped the gun on posting about it
post #5313 of 11468
I guess Ill download it and see if it installs it........
post #5314 of 11468
What good is a Shoot Out, when the audience can see what Brand Names are on the Panels? To be a TRUE Shoot Out - it needs to be a Blind Test: only: the Panel showing, No Brand Name!
post #5315 of 11468
^ The pros will know instantly which TV is made by who without the logos.
post #5316 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^ I think that's the one we have been installing the last few days...(?)

Actually this one looks new (dated May 10th)....Im downloading to look at the modified date. Dont ahve the TV yet, but it should give an indicator if this is new or not....
post #5317 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

What good is a Shoot Out, when the audience can see what Brand Names are on the Panels? To be a TRUE Shoot Out - it needs to be a Blind Test: only: the Panel showing, No Brand Name!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^ The pros will know instantly which TV is made by who without the logos.

There are 2 votes, 1 for the pros and one for the audience. I believe p5 was reffering to having it masked for the audience (aka public)....Ive suggested this before as well, to have one vote before they go over everything and then another after the sets are revealed to see if the vote changes....They do go over the sets individually before the vote happens, so it would be good to get "1st impressions" as blind votes then reveal as they are discussed to see if opinions change....
post #5318 of 11468
I like it, remove the opportunity for bias to taint the results.
post #5319 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Actually this one looks new (dated May 10th)....Im downloading to look at the modified date. Dont ahve the TV yet, but it should give an indicator if this is new or not....

Blimey, if it is another new one I wish they'd slow down a bit, this is nutz!
post #5320 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^ I think that's the one we have been installing the last few days...(?)

If someone still has the 1103 from eysterday can you check the modified date? The current 1103.1 is modified on 5/7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I like it, remove the opportunity for bias to taint the results.

exactlly, it would only be able to be done in teh beginning as they go over each TV during the presentations, but at least the initial vote would be "untainted"
post #5321 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

If someone still has the 1103 from eysterday can you check the modified date? The current 1103.1 is modified on 5/7
exactlly, it would only be able to be done in teh beginning as they go over each TV during the presentations, but at least the initial vote would be "untainted"

It seems to be the same file. I compared the size and date contained in the zip file between May 7th's and today.. they are the same (update file in zip is stamped May 7th). Strange.....

EDIT: I went to check the time the file was modified.. only difference between the two is 1103.0 was stamped around 3:55pm and 1103.1 is 8:08pm.
post #5322 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

If someone still has the 1103 from eysterday can you check the modified date? The current 1103.1 is modified on 5/7

I grabbed mine direct from the TV download option, sorry.
I wonder if this is just an update 'rollup'. The 2d pops were fixed last version, and this just adds some other fixes, only this time, they decided to add the description 'fixes pops'.
post #5323 of 11468
something else I noticed was that it turned on all bells and whistles I usually leave off (noise reduction, dejudder, dynamic contrast etc)
post #5324 of 11468
My TV says the current software version is 1103.0...The one out now is 1103.1
post #5325 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHR Supra View Post

It seems to be the same file. I compared the size and date contained in the zip file between May 7th's and today.. they are the same (update file in zip is stamped May 7th). Strange.....

EDIT: I went to check the time the file was modified.. only difference between the two is 1103.0 was stamped around 3:55pm and 1103.1 is 8:08pm.

Something may have come up late in testing, so then the 1103.1 would be the latest and considered "new".....
post #5326 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Something may have come up late in testing, so then the 1103.1 would be the latest and considered "new".....

So should I update to this?
post #5327 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Actually this one looks new (dated May 10th)....Im downloading to look at the modified date. Dont ahve the TV yet, but it should give an indicator if this is new or not....

Blimey, if it is another new one I wish they'd slow down a bit, this is nutz!

now you're sounding like me smile.gif

btw, they could fix the big input lag issue via evo kit - this model supports evo kit upgrades right?
post #5328 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by somar76 View Post

So should I update to this?

Thats up to you wink.gif if you want to be the guinea pig go ahead biggrin.gif I am sure someone will come along sooner or later and report back. Personally Id take pie's route and just wait for the download from the network. If you arent being bothered by something currently then no need to rush and update the TV.
post #5329 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

I grabbed mine direct from the TV download option, sorry.
I wonder if this is just an update 'rollup'. The 2d pops were fixed last version, and this just adds some other fixes, only this time, they decided to add the descriptio'fixes pops's'.

I'm surprised they even mentioned that. good for them admitting to the issue.
post #5330 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

now you're sounding like me smile.gif

btw, they could fix the big input lag issue via evo kit - this model supports evo kit upgrades right?

Just trying to be helpful, I do the same for other TVs smile.gif sometimes its just easier to do than to explain what youre looking for....

yes this TV does support the EVO kit, I just dont see lag being improved, as it is probably a low priority on this set. Of course if enough people speak up then something might be done, but for now it would take a back burner to the basic functions of the TV (PQ issues and Smart Apps, etc)....
post #5331 of 11468
nm, I was quoting pie.
post #5332 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Thats up to you wink.gif if you want to be the guinea pig go ahead biggrin.gif I am sure someone will come along sooner or later and report back. Personally Id take pie's route and just wait for the download from the network. If you arent being bothered by something currently then no need to rush and update the TV.


Only issue I have right now is the 3D "popping".
post #5333 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessender View Post

Let's not forget the still rather significant brightness fluctuation problem in 3D material. I love the TV, but they really gotta fix that. eek.gif
I got around to watching avengers 3d the other night after the 1103 update and at first was watching in cal day mode and it was fluctuating like none other. Was really disappointed because it was WORSE than I remembered it. Then I switched to movie mode and the fluctuations went away as far as I could tell. Don't take this to the bank but I'm pretty sure there were no fluctuations. Might be a consideration...
post #5334 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I like it, remove the opportunity for bias to taint the results.
+1
I couldn't agree more and even throw in a pre/post shootout day fit the public to come in and vote on their choice, of course with bezels/badges/logos hidden... A big black plywood wall with cutouts allowing only the screens visible biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

Blimey, if it is another new one I wish they'd slow down a bit, this is nutz!

Wasn't it only 2 weeks ago we were begging for any FW updates, now they're popping out like the spring flowers lol..
post #5335 of 11468
i updated wednesday evening, fw 1103.1. the only thing i 'think' i found is blk optimizer doesnt seem to make a difference on or off... (not meaning diff cuz of fw number just with 1103 in general)?
post #5336 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

i updated wednesday evening, fw 1103.1. the only thing i 'think' i found is blk optimizer doesnt seem to make a difference on or off... (not meaning diff cuz of fw number just with 1103 in general)?


Wed Evening? I believe the pone posted today is slightly different as the time stamp is later, but I ahvent seen anyone post that they ahve tried to load the latest (posted on the site today) over the one that was released on Wed....They may be the same, but with the different time stamp it may still yet be newer....
post #5337 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by somar76 View Post

Only issue I have right now is the 3D "popping".

Anyone tested this with the 1103.1 firmware? Would be great if they slid in a fix for pops before the shootout. I hoestly thought the 2D and 3D pops were related. Maybe not.

...and then they work on input lag (which I have less hope about). smile.gif
post #5338 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessender View Post

Anyone tested this with the 1103.1 firmware? Would be great if they slid in a fix for pops before the shootout. I hoestly thought the 2D and 3D pops were related. Maybe not.

...and then they work on input lag (which I have less hope about). smile.gif

I really hope they fix this soon. I hate having to use film mode when I don't necessarily want to. Does anyone know why "film mode" is sometimes grey'ed out? Does it only show up for 24p content or what?
thanks
post #5339 of 11468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Wed Evening? I believe the pone posted today is slightly different as the time stamp is later, but I ahvent seen anyone post that they ahve tried to load the latest (posted on the site today) over the one that was released on Wed....They may be the same, but with the different time stamp it may still yet be newer....

interesting that time stamp is diff but same number as what i have... i wonder if its just the verbage that was changed? before it was same exact wording as prior 2 updates so who knows!
post #5340 of 11468
We all know ABL has long been accepted as an unavoidable issue with plasma panels..Well, I think we may all be minimizing how great the latest firmware update really is.

Unless I'm missing something, Samsung may have figured out how to totally eliminate the ABL issue. It's been a while now and I have not seen even the slightest hint of it.

Could it be true...no more ABL..at all???

It sure looks that way biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]