or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 188

post #5611 of 11474
VT/ZT black level at .0013 and F8500 at .0018

Very close! wink.gif
post #5612 of 11474
Interesting they said the F8500 color was very close to the standard without using CMS.
This must have changed with fw 1103 as before with 1101/1102 and probably earlier, the color was quite a bit out.
post #5613 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

Interesting they said the F8500 color was very close to the standard without using CMS.
This must have changed with fw 1103 as before with 1101/1102 and probably earlier, the color was quite a bit out.

Did you have any time to Cal with 1103.1?
post #5614 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

Are you buzzard or a monkey...or a combination of both eek.gif

Either way, I hope they get the calibration firmware fixed before you head up north biggrin.gif

I'm a little of each and will explain when I'm at your place if you really want to know. Don't count on a fast fix for the CAL modes. These have been problematic for the past several years, each model having individual anomalies. For whatever environment we calibrate Movie we'll do the opposite with one of the CALs and see what shakes.
post #5615 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmlb View Post

Did you have any time to Cal with 1103.1?

Wife has hogged TV for the night frown.gif
I am also away most of tomorrow, hopefully tomorrow night.
I see the big boys used 16 cell / 90 contrast and 48 brightness for a 40fL cal. Not sure what gamma they used although they mentioned aiming for 2.0 (?)

I shall attempt to emulate it with those base numbers (to the best of my amateur abilities).
post #5616 of 11474
Just brought the F8500 home and it's emitting an audible buzzing. Audible from listening position 10 feet from tv. Is this normal? Will it go away? I find it unacceptable.

Just googled plasma buzzing and it appears common. How are your units performing in regards to buzzing?
Edited by coresare - 5/11/13 at 6:28pm
post #5617 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by coresare View Post

Just brought the F8500 home and it's emitting an audible buzzing. Audible from listening position 10 feet from tv. Is this normal? Will it go away? I find it unacceptable.

Just googled plasma buzzing and it appears common. How are your units performing in regards to buzzing?

Had mine since it first came out, and haven't had any buzzing issues.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #5618 of 11474
So the calibrators at the shootout said they measured their calibrated sets and achieved the following black levels:

Pioneer Kuro .0003 mll
Panasonic Vt60/Zt60 .0013 mll
Panasonic St60 (not at shootout but measured by them) .0016 mll
Samsung F8500 .0018 mll

Other than the Kuro, sounds like its splitting hairs. Another positive surprise for the Sammy and disappointment for Panasonic (that their "beyond reference" claim has failed.)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #5619 of 11474
Do you know the ANSI black number for the 8500? I only know the numbers for the Panasonics and the Kuro (0.0014 and 0.007)
post #5620 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

Do you know the ANSI black number for the 8500? I only know the numbers for the Panasonics and the Kuro (0.0014 and 0.007)

Chad B measured an ANSI contrast of 7436:1 wirh 34.95/0.0047 ftL on the 64 inch.

Larry
post #5621 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by coresare View Post

Just brought the F8500 home and it's emitting an audible buzzing. Audible from listening position 10 feet from tv. Is this normal? Will it go away? I find it unacceptable.

Just googled plasma buzzing and it appears common. How are your units performing in regards to buzzing?

No buzzing here. Exchange it (have a play first though!)
post #5622 of 11474
No, I mean the model from the shootout. Chad's numbers are with Black Optimizer off and before the firmware update, so I'm interested if there is any ANSI contrast improvement.
post #5623 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvamir View Post

So the calibrators at the shootout said they measured their calibrated sets and achieved the following black levels:

Pioneer Kuro .0003 mll
Panasonic Vt60/Zt60 .0013 mll
Panasonic St60 (not at shootout but measured by them) .0016 mll
Samsung F8500 .0018 mll

Other than the Kuro, sounds like its splitting hairs. Another positive surprise for the Sammy and disappointment for Panasonic (that their "beyond reference" claim has failed.)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Interesting as I thought Kevin and D-Nice were getting .0016 to .0017 on the F8500 before the Shootout several weeks back. l know, we're talking triple splitting hairs. smile.gif
post #5624 of 11474
Sad frown.gif
post #5625 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Interesting as I thought Kevin and D-Nice were getting .0016 to .0017 on the F8500 before the Shootout several weeks back. l know, we're talking triple splitting hairs. smile.gif

Those are not ANSI measurements. Those are on/off values. At the shootout, D-Nice said the F8500 measured 0.0018 ftL.

Larry
post #5626 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Those are not ANSI measurements. Those are on/off values. At the shootout, D-Nice said the F8500 measured 0.0018 ftL.

Larry

I know. I was referring to MLL.
post #5627 of 11474
0.0018fL is ANSI? I thought it was on/off?
post #5628 of 11474
That 0.0016~0.0017fL reading was obtained from Mr. Ross's first purchase. The one at the shootout is obviously a different model.
post #5629 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I know. I was referring to MLL.

Yes, I know what you meant but KOF seems to be mixing apples and oranges. I was just clarifying it for him. smile.gif

Larry
post #5630 of 11474
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvamir View Post

Other than the Kuro, sounds like its splitting hairs. Another positive surprise for the Sammy and disappointment for Panasonic (that their "beyond reference" claim has failed.)
Actually Samsung said something like this as well, both came up a tad short. Close enough in my book though wink.gif
post #5631 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpankey View Post

I never seen it before the firmware update, as it's the first thing I did last night (update the firmware when I got the 8500 home) but reading about that issue, I watched a hockey game last night from a recorded event on my dvr (blackhawks 5, some other team 1) looking for fluctuating light/dark anything and definitely did not see any issues whatsoever. Though perhaps my eye is just untrained to spot it.

I bought the 64" 8500 and am starting to regret it already. It just doesn't get as bright as the 60" I seen in the store. Also, while the colors look accurate, they don't seem to pop as much as my old panny 50". Just overall less saturated picture than what I've grown accustomed to, right or wrong, I've grown fond of deep, rich, saturated colors and an overall very "warm" look. It's hard to explain, as it's not a flaw at all, it is kind of like the "warm2" setting is actually set to "normal" and I want to switch to a warmer setting. Again, it's not really a flaw as much as just a preference of mine I've grown to like over time. Like the first time I started using "warm" on my panny when I had always used "normal" before that. It took me awhile to start liking it. I wanted to go back to normal for a long time. This tv looks like it's on normal and my panny is on warm. That's about the best way to explain it in my limited vernacular.

You may really benefit from a professional calibration. I'd bet you'd be happy with the results. Once calibrated, the colors are very close to the Panasonics. In fact, Kevin Miller calibrated both the VT50 & 8500 in Robert's store and the color was virtually indistinguishable between the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpankey View Post


p.s. I came THIS ' ' close to pulling the trigger on the new Sony 65" 4k tv they just received in. It was beautiful except for the flaw of overall blooming that edge lit led's all seem to have. The clouding was minimal, in fact tough to spot at all (VERY tough, I had to get really close on a paused black screen, and even then it was nigh invisible). This tv used some kind of blending new technology that allowed local dimming with the edge lighting... not sure how they did it, but blacks were as black as the bezel, and I'm not exaggerating. I mean BLACK.

The Sony didn't look so great at the shootout and looked pretty much like the one I saw at Magnolia. Blacks were not great and they were blotchy.
post #5632 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

No, I mean the model from the shootout. Chad's numbers are with Black Optimizer off and before the firmware update, so I'm interested if there is any ANSI contrast improvement.

KOG ANSI should be out later tonight or tomorrow, they didnt release those numbers.........
post #5633 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

0.0018fL is ANSI? I thought it was on/off?

On\off would be different than ANSI.......The only people usually pay attention to is ANSI, but as it was explained today the current ANSI test is not a good measure for actual content......
post #5634 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby497 View Post

VT/ZT black level at .0013 and F8500 at .0018

Very close! wink.gif

And that's why with most material it was so hard to see any real differences. smile.gif
post #5635 of 11474
If I'm mixing things up, please clarify it for me then. ANSI blacks for the F8500 is going all the places from 0.0047 from Chad, 0.004 from Kevin Miller, and 0.0035 from David Mackenzie. And their numbers were obtained before the firmware update that has addressed the pops and floating black (Kevin himself said it during the Q&A session at the shootout today) Obviously D-Nice says its improved, but it's still there so that's one reason for him to prefer Panasonic.
post #5636 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvamir View Post

So the calibrators at the shootout said they measured their calibrated sets and achieved the following black levels:

Pioneer Kuro .0003 mll
Panasonic Vt60/Zt60 .0013 mll
Panasonic St60 (not at shootout but measured by them) .0016 mll
Samsung F8500 .0018 mll

Other than the Kuro, sounds like its splitting hairs. Another positive surprise for the Sammy and disappointment for Panasonic (that their "beyond reference" claim has failed.)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And yet even on the Kuro demo material, the differences between the Kuro, Panasonics & 8500 were very tough to spot. Only when the screen went full black to it become more evident. As you said, we're really splitting hairs at this point. These panels differ in other respects to a much greater degree. wink.gif
post #5637 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Chad B measured an ANSI contrast of 7436:1 wirh 34.95/0.0047 ftL on the 64 inch.

Larry

That was prior to the updates that may have addressed ANSI #s.
post #5638 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

Sad frown.gif

Why?
post #5639 of 11474
Yeah, I was confused for a bit, because at the shootout they were clearing making it clear that it's on/off, not ANSI.

So, noone knows the ANSI black of the F8500 at the shootout. I know about ANSI black not being that important, I heard that too. But I'm still curious, ANSI contrast ratio being relevant or not.
post #5640 of 11474
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

That 0.0016~0.0017fL reading was obtained from Mr. Ross's first purchase. The one at the shootout is obviously a different model.

Dang, do I have an F8500 somewhere in my house? eek.gif Got to go now and look to see where that thing is!

Seriously KOF, I think you're confusing me with someone else. I only just ordered an 8500. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]