or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 191

post #5701 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Yeah, hard to say.

I would never buy the F8500 in the hopes of continuous improvement via the evo kit. I would look at that potential benefit as a nice to have.

But, the F8500 was built from ground up and I would imagine it will be largely the same next year from a hardware standpoint...speculating, of course.
lets hope but last year they promised the same thing then built the F8500 from the ground up if i new then that the evo kit wouldn'tdo what they promised i should have waited till this year and bought the F8500 but that is hind site for me
post #5702 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

I also found interesting and of note, the fact that the 8500 did have better whites. They were not blue at all bit looked perfect to me. This was especially noticeable on the checkerboard pattern. The Panny's had a browner look to the whites.

I assume this is because of ABL?
post #5703 of 11447
I would assume this to be the case. However, the whites were perfect on the 500M and on my 141 as well. If the white bother you, the 8500 is the way to go. However, I am not sure that it is all that visible on real world material.
post #5704 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbobo19 View Post

I apologize if this has been discussed to death but how bad is the input lag on F8500? I am in need of a new TV and unfortunately the way I have my room laid out it has to opposite my big front window so this leads to quite a bit of glare on the TV. All the reviews seem to say the F8500 is the king of bright room plasmas but I play quite a few games and input lag will drive me nuts, is it a real problem with this series or just something people are over exaggerating? Also I have seen talk about it getting fixed with a firmware update, is this a confirmed fix that will be coming down the line or just hopes and dreams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^its pretty bad for games right now.

could it be fixed via a firmware update?
post #5705 of 11447
Why would anyone want the vt60 or the f8500 or would even be considered for gaming
Edited by bargervais - 5/12/13 at 8:48am
post #5706 of 11447
maybe they want the newest best tvs for entertainment , i watch a lot of movies , Tv and do gaming equally
post #5707 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

The Samsung guy did mention on Friday night the picture quality could be improved with the evo unit - so long as the improvements are software based. I would imagine this would require a re-cal depending on the change though. Of course, nothing can be done from a hardware perspective. I would be curious how much more potential the F8500 would have with the evo units. Even if slight, I think that is pretty cool.

Friday night I heard him say that the evo unit included both software and hardware upgrades. He said that the processor upgrades were possible because it bypasses the processor in the TV. He also said the evo unit package would contain the new remote.
post #5708 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post



Friday night I heard him say that the evo unit included both software and hardware upgrades. He said that the processor upgrades were possible because it bypasses the processor in the TV. He also said the evo unit package would contain the new remote.

Hardware upgrade?! I didn't catch that. Very interesting if that is the case...hmmmm.
post #5709 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Hardware upgrade?! I didn't catch that. Very interesting if that is the case...hmmmm.

the only hardware that i'm aware of thats possible is the prosessor it's like upgrading the video card on your computer but the internal hardware and the panel will be the same
post #5710 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

I would assume this to be the case. However, the whites were perfect on the 500M and on my 141 as well. If the white bother you, the 8500 is the way to go. However, I am not sure that it is all that visible on real world material.

You ahve to remember white is white, when tis accurate its accurate. What people were seeing was the luminance difference between the TVs. The higher luminance (40 on the Pio and Sam vs 30 (ZT) and 35(VT)...The higher luminance "tricks" you into thinking that what you are seeing is whiter when in fact its just "brighter"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel23 View Post


could it be fixed via a firmware update?

Could it be? possibly, will it be? doubtful.
post #5711 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

the only hardware that i'm aware of thats possible is the prosessor it's like upgrading the video card on your computer but the internal hardware and the panel will be the same

The hardware is Memory, video card(I think), and processor that is known at this time. The rest is software inhancements. We dont know what will hold for the F8500 for the EVO kit, so I dont want to specualte, but we can base it off of the E8K sets the upgrade wil lbe there even if its slight. I wouldnt pruchase the TV for the EVO kit, but its a nice "extra" to tide you over between sets as long as there are no killer improvements due to the panel used.....
post #5712 of 11447
Does anyone that has the "1103.1" build know if it shows in the software update menu as "1103.1" or does it just show up as "1103".
I know I have the 1103 update from last week but I am trying to update to the May 10th build 1103.1 but the set is saying no valid update files..

Any Ideas?

Thanks!
post #5713 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Hardware upgrade?! I didn't catch that. Very interesting if that is the case...hmmmm.
I also remember hearing a Samsung rep say during the presentation that when a new HDMI standard is released it could be supported by the evo unit.
post #5714 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by bos617 View Post

Does anyone that has the "1103.1" build know if it shows in the software update menu as "1103.1" or does it just show up as "1103".
I know I have the 1103 update from last week but I am trying to update to the May 10th build 1103.1 but the set is saying no valid update files..

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Make sure that you extracted the update file correctly onto the USB, make sure that the only thing on the USB is the upgrade files. Try formatting the USB stick.

We had a user that had somethig simillar turned out to just be the USB stick they were using.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post

I also remember hearing a Samsung rep say during the presentation that when a new HDMI standard is released it could be supported by the evo unit.

Its possibly, but highly unlikely IMO.....
post #5715 of 11447
So I'm the only one with a buzzing problem?
post #5716 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by coresare View Post

So I'm the only one with a buzzing problem?

All Plasmas buzz the amount can differ from set to set. There is normal plasma buzz (usually directional and cant be heard above the volume of the TV) and not normal (very loud).....What size TV did you get? How close are you sitting? do you hear the buzz all the time or just when in certain areas\sitting placements....There are also those people that are jsut mroe sensitive to the Plasma buzz, in which case you may never be happy. This of course also could be a defective TV, but we need details on the buzzing before we can help you take the next steps......As far as what has been reported here I dont remember anyone having major buzzing issues...
post #5717 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

All Plasmas buzz the amount can differ from set to set. There is normal plasma buzz (usually directional and cant be heard above the volume of the TV) and not normal (very loud).....What size TV did you get? How close are you sitting? do you hear the buzz all the time or just when in certain areas\sitting placements....There are also those people that are jsut mroe sensitive to the Plasma buzz, in which case you may never be happy. This of course also could be a defective TV, but we need details on the buzzing before we can help you take the next steps......As far as what has been reported here I dont remember anyone having major buzzing issues...

It's the 60" I'm 10 feet away. Even with program material playing (but at quiet volumes) I can hear it buzz if I point one ear towards the screen. It's constant. It's mostly directly in front of the plasma. I think I bought the last unit around my area so I'll have to have one ordered and compare the buzzing with the second unit. It's just multiple people have told me they don't hear any buzzing at all from their plasma..

Thanks in advance!
post #5718 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by coresare View Post

It's the 60" I'm 10 feet away. Even with program material playing (but at quiet volumes) I can hear it buzz if I point one ear towards the screen. It's constant. It's mostly directly in front of the plasma. I think I bought the last unit around my area so I'll have to have one ordered and compare the buzzing with the second unit. It's just multiple people have told me they don't hear any buzzing at all from their plasma..

Thanks in advance!

Regardless of what people say - if it bugs you return in. Try again with a different unit. If that doesn't work you may just be sensetive to the Buzz. While I haven't tested 2013 models for buzz, in my own experience the E series Samsungs I tried out in my home all had an unbearable buzz and I ulitmately settled on a VT50 which isn't audible to me over 12 inches away.
post #5719 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post

I also remember hearing a Samsung rep say during the presentation that when a new HDMI standard is released it could be supported by the evo unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Its possibly, but highly unlikely IMO.....

I am curious why you hold that opinion.

The evo unit has access to all existing inputs and potential new inputs. Those input signals can be processed with new evo software and sent to the display panel.

Any new HDMI standard support development expense will be incurred as part of the development of all Samsung TVs that have native support for the new HDMI standard. And, the expense of translating that development to evo hardware/software would be recovered by sale of evo units.

My opinion is that it it not only possible but the reason that Samsung developed the evo concept.
post #5720 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post

A couple of hours are missing from the start of last night, will the full video be available? Youtube?

I noticed this as well. First time I watched it I got as far as when they were doing a demo of having a proper black level set using the WOW disk. I then lost signal and then next thing you know the video begins from the point that they are talking where there is a full field green behind the calibrators. I think the first go around they had the entire live stream playing , with a beginning of the manufacturers marketing speak and then the start of the evaluations. After that it was just the last two hours and it's cut off at 2:17, i get a lost signal message.
post #5721 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post


I am curious why you hold that opinion.

The evo unit has access to all existing inputs and potential new inputs. Those input signals can be processed with new evo software and sent to the display panel.

Any new HDMI standard support development expense will be incurred as part of the development of all Samsung TVs that have native support for the new HDMI standard. And, the expense of translating that development to evo hardware/software would be recovered by sale of evo units.

My opinion is that it it not only possible but the reason that Samsung developed the evo concept.

Onkyo used to tout upgradable receivers -- never worked out that way to the consternation of all. I don't believe manufacturers when they make those types of upgradable promises.
post #5722 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Onkyo used to tout upgradable receivers -- never worked out that way to the consternation of all. I don't believe manufacturers when they make those types of upgradable promises.

Samsung made the evo promise in 2012. The evo packages soon to be available will have all new 2013 software, new quad processors, and new remote controls for supported 2012 models. So, haven't they kept their promise so far?
post #5723 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Onkyo used to tout upgradable receivers -- never worked out that way to the consternation of all. I don't believe manufacturers when they make those types of upgradable promises.

not to get off topic

but...when did Onkyo tout upgradable receivers?

certainly not since 2007

The only units I have heard from an AVR/Pre.pro standpoint are the ultra high end Krell etc type units


Warren
post #5724 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by coresare View Post

It's the 60" I'm 10 feet away. Even with program material playing (but at quiet volumes) I can hear it buzz if I point one ear towards the screen. It's constant. It's mostly directly in front of the plasma. I think I bought the last unit around my area so I'll have to have one ordered and compare the buzzing with the second unit. It's just multiple people have told me they don't hear any buzzing at all from their plasma..

Thanks in advance!
So you can only hear it if you turn your head? Not everyone is sensitive to plasma buzz, and some are used to plasma buzz and would only report if something was not normal.....You sound like you have a good plan in the works with exchanging the set to see if you still hear it on a different one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post


I am curious why you hold that opinion.

The evo unit has access to all existing inputs and potential new inputs. Those input signals can be processed with new evo software and sent to the display panel.

Any new HDMI standard support development expense will be incurred as part of the development of all Samsung TVs that have native support for the new HDMI standard. And, the expense of translating that development to evo hardware/software would be recovered by sale of evo units.

My opinion is that it it not only possible but the reason that Samsung developed the evo concept.

I keep my expectations low wink.gif we know what they can do and adding inputs is not something they ahve done so far. So until taht time comes, I am not going to assume they will do it.....Its not something I would base my purchase off of since there are so many variables that could effect adding something to the set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post



Samsung made the evo promise in 2012. The evo packages soon to be available will have all new 2013 software, new quad processors, and new remote controls for supported 2012 models. So, haven't they kept their promise so far?

Pretty much yes wink.gif You should be able to upgrade fo rthe next ~4 years of development (as long as they are making evo kits that is).....
post #5725 of 11447
Hey guys
I have a few ?s for the owners of this TV. I saw it at BB today and have to say I was impressed with visuals vs the VT 60. THey had MIB3 on and it looked great. Ive also read the review on CNET.

1) I am planning on having this tv in our basement and using it for sports/movies. It will be dark for movies, but lights will be on for regular tv and sports. Have you guys had any issues with it being too bright for a darker, window-less room?
2) The remote seems to be obsolete based on reviews im reading (no number pad, pause/play buttons). WE have Directv, so I assume that this will be the main control once settings are set.
3) This is from CNETs review, "The only way to achieve the correct film cadence of 1080p/24 sources, like most Blu-ray movies, is to engage the Cinema Smooth setting under Film Mode -- which lightens black levels somewhat." Does this mean you only get 1080p on one particular setting? Or is this in regards to the 24, which I have no clue what this means.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. IT was between this and VT60, this TVs picture just seemed so impressive. THe VT 60, which was playing Dark Knight, just did reach the richness of this screen.
Thanks
L
post #5726 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by coresare View Post

So I'm the only one with a buzzing problem?

Core get it replaced... No buzzing here and it would drive me crazy if it did, being my first plasma it was one of my main concerns..
If you hear it 10'away it's not acceptable. JMO biggrin.gif
post #5727 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by bos617 View Post

Does anyone that has the "1103.1" build know if it shows in the software update menu as "1103.1" or does it just show up as "1103".
I know I have the 1103 update from last week but I am trying to update to the May 10th build 1103.1 but the set is saying no valid update files..

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

I don't have an 8500...yet! smile.gif But, this is normal for how Samsung labels their firmware updates. If it's not letting you download the firmware, then you almost certainly have 1103.1 already installed. It's easy to confirm, just access Support from the TV menu and select 'Contact Samsung'. In the information section, where it lists 'software version', you will see the full name of the firmware that's currently installed.
post #5728 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

not to get off topic

but...when did Onkyo tout upgradable receivers?

certainly not since 2007

The only units I have heard from an AVR/Pre.pro standpoint are the ultra high end Krell etc type units


Warren

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-nr1000-black/4505-6466_7-30891812.html
post #5729 of 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

Core get it replaced... No buzzing here and it would drive me crazy if it did, being my first plasma it was one of my main concerns..
If you hear it 10'away it's not acceptable. JMO biggrin.gif

Ok had another unit ordered from Best Buy. Was told it will take roughly 2 weeks to get here...

Thanks.
post #5730 of 11447


ahh

almost a decade ago



Warren
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]