or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 197

post #5881 of 11477
Haven't really seen to many negative ones idiots excluded of course hotly debated for sure but I think most accept and respect the results
post #5882 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

As this is the f8500 thread, you may well get biased answers cool.gif

I was thinking the same thing

come to the F8500 forum expecting an objective answer, about another TV, is not a high probability

on another note since the Sony is now discontinued the prices will probably be falling further

I would not expect movement in the Samsung F8500 pricing for 3-4 months


Warren
post #5883 of 11477
Wish they would have voted on the Kuro that was there just to see what's what and who's who.
post #5884 of 11477
What happened to the "it's rigged for Panasonic" tiny group? confused.gif
post #5885 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpankey View Post

The clarity of detail (i hesitate to use sharpness as that's unsatisfactory) and overall picture quality and brightness just elevates it above the Panny sea, imo. Congrats Samsung.

You know, I think the experts were sincere in their analysis, but just did not have the ability to detect detail with their instruments. Even though their measurements indicated the F8500 was slightly inferior in sharpness and contrast, you can clearly see beads of sweat and facial details that are not visible on the VT60...at any setting.

There has to be an explanation for that...it's not a figment of our imagination. It seems more than likely that it's due to the added clarity the screen provides, I don't know, but even with lower resolution and contrast measurements, the set provides better detail. I can only imagine what it would/will look like once the other numbers are improved. I sure hope we will get to see that someday!
post #5886 of 11477
I'm not surprised to see the F8500 win the general public vote. I had one and it is a really nice display. If it weren't for the brightness pops, I would still have it. In fact now that those are mostly fixed, I'm considering it again. However, my only issue now with it is the gaming lag. It was bad. I could probably get used to it, but it was the first plasma I owned where I actually noticed it.

Anyways, how good are these displays this year, kind of like VE said, not really a clear winner. Samsung wins the public vote, but Panasonic wins the professionals vote. So you can't get wrong with any panel this year really.
post #5887 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

What happened to the "it's rigged for Panasonic" tiny group? confused.gif
lol Its not rigged anymore because Samsung won. biggrin.gif
post #5888 of 11477
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

What happened to the "it's rigged for Panasonic" tiny group? confused.gif
These panels are so close, the F8500, VT60, and ZT60. They are all tied in my book. What are we talking about here ? Spitting hairs that the general public could never see even if we explained it ? Winning is a state of mind. We are all winner's just being able to afford such display's, let alone see these display's. Many can not even state this. Many can not see, many can not afford a TV. We are all blessed.........
post #5889 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

These panels are so close, the F8500, VT60, and ZT60. They are all tied in my book. What are we talking about here ? Spitting hairs that the general public could never see even if we explained it ? Winning is a state of mind. We are all winner's just being able to afford such display's, let alone see these display's. Many can not even state this. Many can not see, many can not afford a TV. We are all blessed.........
+1 Well put.
post #5890 of 11477
My PN64F8500 will be delivered tomorrow morning. I can't wait. I tried two PN64E7000's earlier this year and had to return both due to nasty directional buzzing. it was incredibly loud. I could hear it 15+ feet away, and I just couldn't live with it. I have viewed 7-8 different PNxxF8500 at various stores this past month and none of them seem to have a buzz problem, so I am crossing my fingers I get a quiet one. If not, this will be strike three. I'll have to try a different brand.

I first had a PN64D7000 which was perfect (no banding, buzzing, or any issues), but my 5 year old daughter decided to see what would happen when a wooden block bounced off the screen, and that was all she wrote. I had the TV for about 4 months. It was a sad, sad day. In fact, I still tear up thinking about it. (sniff) It was a hard lesson for me to learn, but I am ready this time around with a screen protector!

(praying to the plasma Gods to give me a quiet one!!)
Edited by Teknicolor - 5/13/13 at 7:25pm
post #5891 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

What happened to the "it's rigged for Panasonic" tiny group? confused.gif
I for one was sure that they would come in with their minds made up and panny would be tops still.
But Congratulations Samsung
post #5892 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

You know, I think the experts were sincere in their analysis, but just did not have the ability to detect detail with their instruments. Even though their measurements indicated the F8500 was slightly inferior in sharpness and contrast, you can clearly see beads of sweat and facial details that are not visible on the VT60...at any setting.

There has to be an explanation for that...it's not a figment of our imagination. It seems more than likely that it's due to the added clarity the screen provides, I don't know, but even with lower resolution and contrast measurements, the set provides better detail. I can only imagine what it would/will look like once the other numbers are improved. I sure hope we will get to see that someday!

I was at Robert's store with D-Nice and he absolutely agreed that the 8500 was visibly sharper than the VT50 that was there (both calibrated by Kevin Miller). So unless the VT60 is visibly sharper than the VT50, I'd think it's fair to say nothing has changed. We even did a frame by frame comparison of TDK and you could clearly see the differences in the freeze frames.

I've seen the VT60 & 8500 side by side (or nearly so) in many locations now and although at times some qualities differ from one store to the next, the one thing I've seen 100% of the time, is the visible sharpness difference. Frankly I don't know how anyone could miss it.
post #5893 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknicolor View Post

My PN64F8500 will be delivered tomorrow morning. I can't wait. I tried two PN64E7000's earlier this year and had to return both due to nasty directional buzzing. it was incredibly loud, and I just couldn't live with them. I have viewed 7-8 different PNxxF8500 at various stores this past month and none of them seem to have a buzz problem, so I am crossing my fingers I get a quiet one. If not, this will be strike three. I'll have to try a different brand.

I first has a PN64D7000 which was perfect (no banding, buzzing, or any issues), but my 5 year old daughter decided to see what would happen when a wooden block bounced off the screen, and that was all she wrote. I had the TV for about 4 months. It was a sad, sad day. In fact, I still tear up thinking about it. (sniff) It was a hard lesson for me to learn, but I am ready this time around with a screen protector!

(praying to the plasma Gods to give me a quiet one!!)

sorry to hear that but maybe some kind of a chicken wire cage like in the Blues Brothers
post #5894 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

We are all blessed....

That is for sure, thanks for putting things in perspective. No more obsessing over a tv for a while.

Although I still don't know how to get rid of that motion control message I get every time I turn on the set. mad.gif
post #5895 of 11477
Congrats on the good news guys!

Now im Thinking of canceling my VT to get a 64" f8500. Can the f8500 be found for around $2500?
post #5896 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

Congrats on the good news guys!

Now im Thinking of canceling my VT to get a 64" f8500. Can the f8500 be found for around $2500?
eek.gif
street price not sure
post #5897 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

eek.gif
street price not sure
What ? The price or that I'm canceling? Lol
post #5898 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I was at Robert's store with D-Nice and he absolutely agreed that the 8500 was visibly sharper than the VT50 that was there (both calibrated by Kevin Miller). So unless the VT60 is visibly sharper than the VT50, I'd think it's fair to say nothing has changed. We even did a frame by frame comparison of TDK and you could clearly see the differences in the freeze frames.

I've seen the VT60 & 8500 side by side (or nearly so) in many locations now and although at times some qualities differ from one store to the next, the one thing I've seen 100% of the time, is the visible sharpness difference. Frankly I don't know how anyone could miss it.

and yet the 2nd night of the shootout david says to the audience. "there's been some chatter on the internet as to the 8500 being sharper than the panny's. I don't know why just look at the resolution tests they prove it." when you do an a/b like yourself it's obvious who has the "cleaner" image. yes, Samsung is doing something behind the scenes, but to my eyes it's for the better.
post #5899 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

That is for sure, thanks for putting things in perspective. No more obsessing over a tv for a while.

Although I still don't know how to get rid of that motion control message I get every time I turn on the set. mad.gif

very easy, leave the camera out of the wallabee pouch. otherwise it's an undefeatable message.
post #5900 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

What ? The price or that I'm canceling? Lol

I've seen 2 and 9 on a fire sale. nothing currently.
post #5901 of 11477
post #5902 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

However, my only issue now with it is the gaming lag. It was bad. I could probably get used to it, but it was the first plasma I owned where I actually noticed it.
Did you try using game or PC mode and if so, how bad was it? I have been planning on buying this set but I'm also a pretty big gamer. I don't even want to think about alternatives.
post #5903 of 11477
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

Congrats on the good news guys!

Now im Thinking of canceling my VT to get a 64" f8500. Can the f8500 be found for around $2500?
Nope that is far lower than dealer cost. Even a direct dealer for that matter..
post #5904 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

That is for sure, thanks for putting things in perspective. No more obsessing over a tv for a while.

Although I still don't know how to get rid of that motion control message I get every time I turn on the set. mad.gif

very easy, leave the camera out of the wallabee pouch. otherwise it's an undefeatable message.
Can motion control be turned off? If so, why would there be a motion control message if the camera was tucked away?
post #5905 of 11477
For scenes with a predominantly similar color such as a persons black coat. Is it normal to see light grain mixed in throughout the black? Or should it be all solid black/dark grey.
post #5906 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Can motion control be turned off? If so, why would there be a motion control message if the camera was tucked away?

I've left my camera out of its hidden position since I unboxed my F8500 with motion control off and never seen the messages Jacko has been plagued with.. When I get home tomorrow I will put the camera in the hidden position and see if I start to get the messages...
But I agree hywaits it makes no that sense, once the camera is stored away there shouldn't be any messages concerning the motion control..
post #5907 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

I've left my camera out of its hidden position since I unboxed my F8500 with motion control off and never seen the messages Jacko has been plagued with.. When I get home tomorrow I will put the camera in the hidden position and see if I start to get the messages...
But I agree hywaits it makes no that sense, once the camera is stored away there shouldn't be any messages concerning the motion control..

yeah it doesnt make sense. its a messege reminding us 'camera is off'..... gee thanks
post #5908 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Nope that is far lower than dealer cost. Even a direct dealer for that matter..
I figured one could get the 8500 for a few hundred less then the VT being that the VT can be had for $2800 (from best buy)
post #5909 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

I figured one could get the 8500 for a few hundred less then the VT being that the VT can be had for $2800 (from best buy)
From what I've heard, Samsung has put some firm price controls in place over the last few years when it comes to the entrenched retailers (gray/black market would be a different story).
post #5910 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

From what I've heard, Samsung has put some firm price controls in place over the last few years when it comes to the entrenched retailers (gray/black market would be a different story).
I'm just worried about glare on the VT. Would you say the VT has better glare resistance then the sharp elite or the Samsung D6500 (two tv's I've owned in the past)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]