or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 4

post #91 of 11568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

Do you notice any glare when lights are on? Is the set getting hot? How is the overall picture quality? Any regrets?

There is definitely slight glare but not nearly as bad as other plasmas I have seen. The set gets warm up top in the back but seems to have larger vent holes in back for the electronics than I have seen on other panels. The front seems ok not much heat. The overall picture quality great so far with the defaults in movie mode. I am very happy so far. No regrets. I would of loved to go larger but I think I will save for a projector.
post #92 of 11568
Does this TV have the glossy or matte screen?
post #93 of 11568
I am going to say with 98% certainty that it has a Glossy screen, from the videos I have seen and the fact that not many (if any) make matte screens for Plasma
post #94 of 11568
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 View Post

Does this TV have the glossy or matte screen?

Glossy no doubt, very few plasmas, if any, have matte screens.

Edit: Too slow. frown.gif
post #95 of 11568
surfmlb: Thank you for all the information you have provided so far. Much appreciated. I saw in your post and pictures that viewing from above causes the PQ difference. How about viewing from the extreme sides? Is the issue only seen from above?
post #96 of 11568
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmlb View Post

There is definitely slight glare etc..

check your pm.
post #97 of 11568
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmlb View Post

There is definitely slight glare but not nearly as bad as other plasmas I have seen. The set gets warm up top in the back but seems to have larger vent holes in back for the electronics than I have seen on other panels. The front seems ok not much heat. The overall picture quality great so far with the defaults in movie mode. I am very happy so far. No regrets. I would of loved to go larger but I think I will save for a projector.

Hey thanks for the answers. If I get this it will be in the 65 inch. I am just worried about burn in with the increased brightness. Also a little worried about the glare. I am ready to buy a TV just don't know if this one is the one
post #98 of 11568
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjw View Post

Some pictures of the black levels would be great.

And what exactly do you expect see in pictures he is taking of black levels?

No matter how black the TV gets, all you will see is the blackest black your LCD computer monitor is able to display. Not taking into account what his camera does to the blacks here.

It's completely pointless.
post #99 of 11568
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjw View Post

They say that it's almost OLED PQ, would you agree? Can you see much dither? Some pictures of the black levels would be great.


Btw all the latest plasmas lose contrast when viewed from over the tv. It's just the filer and how on earth views a tv from above anyway? Ideally you wants yours eyes at the centre of the screen.

I havent seen an OLED so I couldn't tell you. If I get up real close I see slight dithering but that is just from the programming from comcast cable. I havent seen any Blurays yet. What picture can I take for black levels?
post #100 of 11568
@surfmlb - if you could post a pic or two of the assembled 3D glasses that would be appreciated. Personally I'd like to see if they are the same as my new E8000 glasses or if they are a slightly different design.

Congrats on the sweet set naturally smile.gif
post #101 of 11568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknicolor View Post

surfmlb: Thank you for all the information you have provided so far. Much appreciated. I saw in your post and pictures that viewing from above causes the PQ difference. How about viewing from the extreme sides? Is the issue only seen from above?

Only from above and below
post #102 of 11568
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 View Post

Does this TV have the glossy or matte screen?

Glossy
post #103 of 11568
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post

@surfmlb - if you could post a pic or two of the assembled 3D glasses that would be appreciated. Personally I'd like to see if they are the same as my new E8000 glasses or if they are a slightly different design.

Congrats on the sweet set naturally smile.gif

post #104 of 11568
^Thanks for your pics/info and Kuro 8G comparison at least. Am wondering when the first 9G comparisons will arrive. smile.gif
post #105 of 11568
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmlb View Post


Perfect. Thank you smile.gif

Interesting they look like the design included with the E7000 that I started off with (returned for buzzing). It was replaced with an E8000 (at the same price by Amazon, lucky me) and I noticed the glasses that ship with the E8000 actually have collapsing ear pieces.

Anyway now I know if I trade up for the 8500 the glasses will have non-collapsing ear pieces.
post #106 of 11568
I am going to rent some Blurays for later will post more images better quality than cable. Loving the blacks so far smile.gif Excited to see what Bluray will look like. I will have OTA hooked up this weekend too. The smart features are kinda neat and so far looking through the menus and smart features I havent seen any slight image retention from that.



post #107 of 11568
Very nice, congrats on the new TV surfmlb and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and photos....

Might not mean diddly but I have to say from the photos the whites look much better then any I have seen on any plasma tv set at default unadjusted factory settings..
Very Nice to "hear" buzzing is a non-issue also..
I know its way too early to test for IR (I'm sure you rather get 100 hours or more on it before testing for IR)..

Camera question, I see its retracted in your photos, how high is it when it is popped up?? A photo of the TV with the camera up would be great smile.gif

Thank You again and I know I don't have to tell you but ENJOY!!
post #108 of 11568
WOW surfmlb, I swear I thought these pics were for blurays already. They indeed look sharp.
I'm very curious about how bright the TV is.

Would appreciate it if you take pictures during day light or with the room lights fully turned on.

How does the brightness compares to your other Plasma or LED TVs?
post #109 of 11568
Hey surfmlb,
Thanx for all the trouble you have taken to inform us, good on you!!!smile.gif

Rob
post #110 of 11568
Here are pictures with all lights on and window drapes open and front door open for light a lot of light coming in through front large windows and door. So this is max more than anyone would have is my guess.



This one is top view

Bottom view You can see my ceiling light in this picture

Side views and you can see my windows in these

post #111 of 11568
Reflective from side view but image still pretty punchy.
post #112 of 11568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

WOW surfmlb, I swear I thought these pics were for blurays already. They indeed look sharp.
I'm very curious about how bright the TV is.

Would appreciate it if you take pictures during day light or with the room lights fully turned on.

How does the brightness compares to your other Plasma or LED TVs?

Yes, Some of the film is very very sharp to me looks awesome. I tried a panasonic LED and returned it because too bright and this Plasma is bright but not annoying like the LED. I would say its like it should be. More pics posted
post #113 of 11568
Quote:
Originally Posted by baux View Post

check your pm.
Replied
post #114 of 11568
Congrats and although I'm not a fan of the stand the overall design looks pretty cool and with it wall mounted looks nice. Have you tried the motion judder cancelor and if so what do think of it?? Once again congrats.
post #115 of 11568
Quote:
More pics posted

Hi surfmlb

Hats off to you sir smile.gif

Thanks a lot for your impressions and pics, looking great. Much appreciated.

Cheers!
post #116 of 11568
Does anyone know what the "Black Optimizer" is/does? The Manual doesn't say much about this option.
post #117 of 11568
Ordered the 60F8500 off of Amazon and should arrive next Wednesday. Also have a Kuro 111FD so yes the 9G comparisons will happen.

There will be those that are curious to the comparison and those who could care less.
post #118 of 11568
Update time


post #119 of 11568
Nice!

If you were to use the supplied stand is it comprised of two separate parts ie: front and back or is it one piece?

Thanks so much for the pics.
post #120 of 11568
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

Nice!

If you were to use the supplied stand is it comprised of two separate parts ie: front and back or is it one piece?

Thanks so much for the pics.

Its pretty cool. Its one piece with 2 brackets you attach that slip up into bottom of panel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]