or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › i just got the Samsung UN55F8000, i want to get it Calibrated. whats the best way going about it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

i just got the Samsung UN55F8000, i want to get it Calibrated. whats the best way going about it?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
i want to get my set calibrated.
is the calibration that BB $250 offers really good or am i better of doing it myself???
post #2 of 15
Greetings

Choices, choices

Read this about your options and there is an article there about BB calibrations too. (That whole 1 in 10 chance thing ... )

A place to start ...

REgards
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwood View Post

i want to get my set calibrated.
is the calibration that BB $250 offers really good or am i better of doing it myself???
You can DIY with an X-rite colormunki display for about $170 with the free HCFR software. I did it on my es8000 and got what I consider very good results. If you have never calibrated a TV before though it will probably take you about 40-60hrs all-in to figure out.
post #4 of 15
There are MANY threads on AVS about Best Buy calibration in general and end results reported by customers... you will NOT be encouraged. Generously, you have a 5%-10% chance of getting a good calibration from Best Buy. The other 90% of the time there's little or no improvement or the TV is made worse.

You CANNOT make a calibrator our of just anybody. Everybody can paint a picture... not many people are good enough at it to actually sell their work.
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
does any one know a couple of Professional Video Calibration in the California Los Angeles area??
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwood View Post

does any one know a couple of Professional Video Calibration in the California Los Angeles area??

Check out this List (Post #2 is by State): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058269
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwood View Post

does any one know a couple of Professional Video Calibration in the California Los Angeles area??
I know David Abrams who works out of L.A. UMR (Jeff Meier) and D-Nice do tours to your area.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

There are MANY threads on AVS about Best Buy calibration in general and end results reported by customers... you will NOT be encouraged. Generously, you have a 5%-10% chance of getting a good calibration from Best Buy. The other 90% of the time there's little or no improvement or the TV is made worse.

You CANNOT make a calibrator our of just anybody. Everybody can paint a picture... not many people are good enough at it to actually sell their work.

Agreed. You can't make a calibrator out of anybody. However, to get into it, one just doesn't decide to be a calibrator. I would think that most of us (including the GS guys) get into it, as they are interested in film and Tv programming as an art form, and love film as a whole, and appreciate seeing art in the form closest to what the artist paints.

Saying that, I believe that the majority of the time, GS guys don't go out of their way to be poor at their jobs. There are good calibrators and there's average or not so good ones, just like plumbers, lawyers, and carpenters. If there's something out there that states through surveys or something that 90% of the time it's no improvement or worse, then let's have it. BBY has a whole customer service department in place to deal with any issues like that which may come up. If a client isnt keen on the result, he can ask for a recall, no charge. And again and again until he's happy. Who else does this?

If 90% of the time it's no good, and it's a national chain, then perhaps Home Depot's in home work 90% of the time is no good either? Why? Well, it's a national chain. Big names also are big targets and the more jobs they do, the bigger the sample size....

Cheers!
post #9 of 15
OK, maybe I need to start posting before and after graphs every time I fix a so called "calibration" from GS (I've already posted one or two in various threads) to counteract these suspiciously new members with 7 posts who get on here and try to convince everybody that GS calibrations really are good.
One time, on a Panasonic plasma, it did look like the calibrator made a decent effort at the calibration; however, it also appeared he did not use a very accurate meter and he did not care about the customer's wishes at all. All the other times it looked like the customer just invited over their 12 year old nephew to come and fiddle with the controls.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

OK, maybe I need to start posting before and after graphs every time I fix a so called "calibration" from GS (I've already posted one or two in various threads) to counteract these suspiciously new members with 7 posts who get on here and try to convince everybody that GS calibrations really are good.
... he did not care about the customer's wishes at all...

Chad, if that is aimed at me, then please come out and say so. If not, I apologise, for any misapprehension.

I don't think anyone is saying that GS cali's are perfect. One cannot get imperfect consumer electronics to be perfect. But to state that "try to convince everybody that GS calibrations really are good." is essentially stating the opposite.

Let's be clear. A proportion of GS and other chain shops cali's are good, and some are average or poor.

There's good and average tradesmen. Good and average plumbers. Good and average calibrators. Do GS calibrators make mistakes? Of course. We all have and do make mistakes. If a client is unhappy with a GS cali, they can call a customer service number (toll free) and request a recall with a different, or even senior member. And again, and again. Until they get it right. A refund is even an option. EVEN if a cali is within broadcast standards, if a cx isn't happy, they can approach the shop/BBY and ask for a refund.

Does everyone do that? Who here would give a cx a refund, EVEN if the calibration was good and you knew your work to be so? I certainly could not afford to.

If I was a plumber, would I slag off "petes plumbing" which is a 'chain' of sorts of plumbers here in my home city? No. I think it's unprofessional. If anything if a GS calibrator comes to me (and I frequently talk to several of them and talk shop and generally shoot the breeze over coffee and they are just regular guys and girls like anyone) and asks me for help, or my opinion, will I help him/her? Yes. Because we all are working towards the same goal. I do not believe for one minute that GS calibration men and women go out of their way to be incompetent at what they do.

Further, you stated "he did not care about the customer's wishes at all". What do you mean by this? Maybe he did care, but the customers wishes were going against established standards. Did he set the Tv for use in a bright room when it was a dark one? Vice versa? Or did he not apply an adjustment based on a consumer 'preference'? If the latter, then surely how a cx 'likes' the resulting image is irrelevant, if it has been done to standards? Please clarify that point. Thank you. smile.gif

Cheers!

Disclaimer: I do not work for GS.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

OK, maybe I need to start posting before and after graphs every time I fix a so called "calibration" from GS (I've already posted one or two in various threads) to counteract these suspiciously new members with 7 posts who get on here and try to convince everybody that GS calibrations really are good.
One time, on a Panasonic plasma, it did look like the calibrator made a decent effort at the calibration; however, it also appeared he did not use a very accurate meter and he did not care about the customer's wishes at all. All the other times it looked like the customer just invited over their 12 year old nephew to come and fiddle with the controls.
Chad, I've put a link to your comments at the top of the second post (flat panel calibrations) in the thread that's linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

If you do post further information on this topic let me know. I would like to link to it. smile.gif
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedscotsman View Post

Chad, if that is aimed at me, then please come out and say so. If not, I apologise, for any misapprehension.

I don't think anyone is saying that GS cali's are perfect. One cannot get imperfect consumer electronics to be perfect. But to state that "try to convince everybody that GS calibrations really are good." is essentially stating the opposite.

Let's be clear. A proportion of GS and other chain shops cali's are good, and some are average or poor.

There's good and average tradesmen. Good and average plumbers. Good and average calibrators. Do GS calibrators make mistakes? Of course. We all have and do make mistakes. If a client is unhappy with a GS cali, they can call a customer service number (toll free) and request a recall with a different, or even senior member. And again, and again. Until they get it right. A refund is even an option. EVEN if a cali is within broadcast standards, if a cx isn't happy, they can approach the shop/BBY and ask for a refund.

Does everyone do that? Who here would give a cx a refund, EVEN if the calibration was good and you knew your work to be so? I certainly could not afford to.

If I was a plumber, would I slag off "petes plumbing" which is a 'chain' of sorts of plumbers here in my home city? No. I think it's unprofessional. If anything if a GS calibrator comes to me (and I frequently talk to several of them and talk shop and generally shoot the breeze over coffee and they are just regular guys and girls like anyone) and asks me for help, or my opinion, will I help him/her? Yes. Because we all are working towards the same goal. I do not believe for one minute that GS calibration men and women go out of their way to be incompetent at what they do.

Further, you stated "he did not care about the customer's wishes at all". What do you mean by this? Maybe he did care, but the customers wishes were going against established standards. Did he set the Tv for use in a bright room when it was a dark one? Vice versa? Or did he not apply an adjustment based on a consumer 'preference'? If the latter, then surely how a cx 'likes' the resulting image is irrelevant, if it has been done to standards? Please clarify that point. Thank you. smile.gif

Cheers!

Disclaimer: I do not work for GS.
Yes, it was aimed at you, and now that I have reflected on it I do apologize for my rudeness. I said it because it sure does sound like you work for them and are just trying to come in here and do some damage control. Just sayin.' But I see your disclaimer and will not dispute it.
I agree with some of your points about the good/bad tradesmen, etc. However, consider this:
If an independent calibrator isn't very good, he won't be in business for very long; or at the least he won't be very successful at keeping it his bread and butter job. Calls for calibration just by being listed on the ISF and/or THX websites are not nearly enough to be successful in this trade; you have to get lots of word of mouth recommendations and repeat customers for this to be anything but an occasional part time job.
What happens if a GS calibrator isn't very good? Does corporate fire him, or cut him back to 5 hours a week? Probably not, unless he's unusually obnoxious. Most likely, if he's just going through the motions, following BB's rules but cutting corners in the cal, nothing would happen. He'd still get just as much business as always, because he's got BB selling the service.
Most independent calibrators including myself do go back and make free follow up visits if there's something about the cal that the customer doesn't like. However, it's an important to make sure everything is looking good to you and the customer before you leave and educate the customer about what you're doing and why. When both those things are done, and you've done everything to the absolute best of your ability, free follow ups are very rare; and requests for refunds are virtually nonexistent.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

...If an independent calibrator isn't very good, he won't be in business for very long; or at the least he won't be very successful at keeping it his bread and butter job. Calls for calibration just by being listed on the ISF and/or THX websites are not nearly enough to be successful in this trade; you have to get lots of word of mouth recommendations and repeat customers for this to be anything but an occasional part time job.

What happens if a GS calibrator isn't very good? Does corporate fire him, or cut him back to 5 hours a week? Probably not, unless he's unusually obnoxious. Most likely, if he's just going through the motions, following BB's rules but cutting corners in the cal, nothing would happen. He'd still get just as much business as always, because he's got BB selling the service.
Most independent calibrators including myself do go back and make free follow up visits if there's something about the cal that the customer doesn't like. However, it's an important to make sure everything is looking good to you and the customer before you leave and educate the customer about what you're doing and why. When both those things are done, and you've done everything to the absolute best of your ability, free follow ups are very rare; and requests for refunds are virtually nonexistent.

Mr. Chad, you know, that's a good question. Do they fire him? From what I can gather, it's more of a transfer to another position, say the PC troubleshooting in shop dept. Or back to sales. But I can't know for sure. Ya know what? I will ask them. I talk to some every month just by hanging out in the same coffee shops etc that they do and will see what the deal is. Subject to them having to be vague I suppose as talking about specifics is probably breaching confidentiality rules, and I can respect that. As for cutting corners? Again, I have no idea. Its true that you had to redo a GS cali, but I will ask to 'sit in' with one of their cali guys (or girls, they have women calibrators too) and see just what exactly they do, we will learn something from eachother. smile.gif

Their kit is largely similar to mine, so will see how it goes. Will post back when I see what's being done.


Disclaimer: I do not work for GS.
post #14 of 15
I don't get out in the field much, so this comment is going to be pure speculation.

A possible reason professional calibrators see so many poor Geek Squad calibrations could be that when the job is done correctly, they don't contact a pro calibrator afterwards. Meaning the pro's clean up after the Geek Squad guys who's skills aren't up to snuff, but when the Geek Squad does a good job, the customer just watches TV and is happy.

For the most part happy users are quiet users.

Of course none of that is to say they have the skill or equipment of someone like Chad. The level of service you get from the elite calibrators that hang out around here is not something you can get anywhere else. But those guys do way more than just setup your TV. They walk customers through the entire processes, don't work on a time limit and typically cost a fair bit more to employ.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

I don't get out in the field much, so this comment is going to be pure speculation.

A possible reason professional calibrators see so many poor Geek Squad calibrations could be that when the job is done correctly, they don't contact a pro calibrator afterwards. Meaning the pro's clean up after the Geek Squad guys who's skills aren't up to snuff, but when the Geek Squad does a good job, the customer just watches TV and is happy.

For the most part happy users are quiet users.

Of course none of that is to say they have the skill or equipment of someone like Chad. The level of service you get from the elite calibrators that hang out around here is not something you can get anywhere else. But those guys do way more than just setup your TV. They walk customers through the entire processes, don't work on a time limit and typically cost a fair bit more to employ.

You're probably right. After all, what's it they say in sales? "a happy customer tells 3 people about his experience, an unhappy customer tells 10". Plus, with bigger chains doing a LOT of cali's, you're gonna get a bigger sample size for more complaints, and more chances for things to go wrong.

I suppose kinda like seeing an ebay feedback for a merchant that sells 10,000 items a week, and he/she has 800 negative comments. It's a numbers game. And couldn't agree more with your last comment: "don't work on a time limit and typically cost a fair bit more to employ."

I wouldn't even pretend to be as experienced and as good as some of the guys on here, like Michael at TLV and Chad, and I am quite sure they could get cali's ive done even closer. But then again, my customers aren't charged 600 or whatever, and I cant spend all day in their homes. There's many levels of calibration, and if a customer asks if there's any way they can get it closer than I can get it at the end of the cali (say they are a real film fan) I will honestly say that sure, you can always get closer, and will even recommend calibrators in my area with a whole next level of expensive equipment (specbos etc) if they want to get that ever closer to 99% and they want to drop more cash.

Most folk are happy with "pretty damn good" and some are happy with a man named Joe that does a $30 a pop DVE run through in 1hr, because that's all they can afford. You pay your money, you takes yer choice.

To me, there's always someone that can do something that you do, better, and there's always someone that can't, if they can't, I'm here to help em up a rung... smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › i just got the Samsung UN55F8000, i want to get it Calibrated. whats the best way going about it?