or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Panasonic DMP 79/89/130(UK)/225/230/330 Owners Thread 2013
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic DMP 79/89/130(UK)/225/230/330 Owners Thread 2013 - Page 9

post #241 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

If you didn't have problems with your files on the 330, the 220 and 230 will handle them the same way. Personally, I like my X20 more than the 230. Tne 230 does lock up, also. Never had a problem with the 20's. 20's were also the last line to use the Uniphier chipset.

S~

I sure hope they do a little better job with the 2014's. I guess its growing pains of a new chipset.
post #242 of 633
I'm confused. Does the DMP-BDT230 have an Android remote app or not? Amazon's comparison chart says no, http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-BDT230-Smart-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B00AYB3OMG and the Panasonic Blu-ray Remote 2012 app doesn't include the BDT230 in the list of supported models, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.panasonic.avc.diga.blurayremote2012. However, the player has the "Remote Device Operation" settings in the device settings. Is Panasonic going to develop an app later?

Thanks!
post #243 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitbom View Post

I'm confused. Does the DMP-BDT230 have an Android remote app or not? Amazon's comparison chart says no, http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-BDT230-Smart-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B00AYB3OMG and the Panasonic Blu-ray Remote 2012 app doesn't include the BDT230 in the list of supported models, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.panasonic.avc.diga.blurayremote2012. However, the player has the "Remote Device Operation" settings in the device settings. Is Panasonic going to develop an app later?

Thanks!

As far as I am aware, Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) onwards, is "officially" compatible with the DMP-BDT230. Like you circuitbom, I couldn't get the Panny Remote 2012 app working for my 230 but I use Ice Cream Sandwich on my HTC Sensation XE. I would be most interested to know also if Panasonic will be updating their Android app.

I have been testing the streaming of films (non-3D) from my Windows 7 desktop pc by wired connection, utilising DLNA to my DMP-BDT230 to view on my LG LED TV, using .mkv, .avi, .mp4 formats of various compressions. I must say the grainy effect has been disappointing. So, I used a 3rd party software. TVersity Pro 2.4. on my desktop pc with its own transcoding, processing and streaming MPEG2 or MPEG4. The resulting picture has been of a much better qualtity I would expect but the AR has been slightly stretched vertically, i.e. 2:35:1 source to 16:9, despite any tweaks on the DMP-BDT230 or on my TV, this remained the same. Also, I was unable to get any 5:1 surround sound (DS or DD) through my LG Receiver, only 2:1 stereo, from films with DD DTS.
I am on a learning curve with DLNA and do not know if I am expecting too much from DLNA but I'd be much obliged if any of you savvy AVS folk recommend me any superior DLNA-compliant software for Windows 7 I can use to help improve my streaming of films via my DMP-BDT230 to my LG TV and/or provide me with any advice on how to improve streaming quality and consistency.
Thank you in advance smile.gif
post #244 of 633
The key is to NOT transcode at all. That's what's killing your PQ. Unfortunately panny supports very few formats, so it's a catch 22. What you really need is a different player or dedicated streaming box plus a better DLNA server like Serviio that can be set up to stream native without transcoding.
post #245 of 633
I just purchased the 230 on Monday. I haven't tested out other than Netflix. Worked fine but I noticed the picture was a little a darker than I'm used to. I'm coming from PS3 with RGB Limited set. The 230's Picture Setting is set to Normal. I did notice when putting it on Fine, it looked more like the PS3's RGB Limited Setting and with the 230 on Normal it looked more like the RGB Full on the PS3. Also, does anyone know if the Dialogue Enhancer on the 230 is any good? Only works with PCM and there are a few Blu-Rays that need a dialogue boost. Would I achieve the same effect by raising the Center Channel Trim Level or does it sound better by changing it to Dialogue Enhancer when I encounter a low dialogue movie?

Update: The Avengers on Blu-Ray had very low dialogue when watching on PS3 (LPCM). I tested it today and I was amazed at how great it sounded. Good dialogue and effects were stunning. Keep in mind, I'm coming from Original 60G PS3 that is unable to bitstream HD Audio so seeing the DTS-HD MSTR light up on my receiver and having it decode the audio was a real treat. I put the Picture Setting on Fine, found that Normal was too dark for my taste and had a major loss in shadow detail. I have the 230 hooked up via Ethernet Cable. Netflix works great but after finishing up the Avengers I pressed the Netflix Button and it froze. I waited about 20 minutes and still frozen. I had to unplug for 60 seconds. I do have FW 1.40.
Edited by Justin Sullins - 7/17/13 at 1:19pm
post #246 of 633
Forget DLNA for now, it's too finicky. Get yourself a NAS drive on the LAN and let the player access it directly and plays it without transcoding, the PQ will be indistinguishable from blurays. I used ethernet connection on mine.
post #247 of 633
Quote: "As far as I am aware, Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) onwards, is "officially" compatible with the DMP-BDT230. Like you circuitbom, I couldn't get the Panny Remote 2012 app working for my 230 but I use Ice Cream Sandwich on my HTC Sensation XE. I would be most interested to know also if Panasonic will be updating their Android app.

I have been testing the streaming of films (non-3D) from my Windows 7 desktop pc by wired connection, utilising DLNA to my DMP-BDT230 to view on my LG LED TV, using .mkv, .avi, .mp4 formats of various compressions. I must say the grainy effect has been disappointing. So, I used a 3rd party software. TVersity Pro 2.4. on my desktop pc with its own transcoding, processing and streaming MPEG2 or MPEG4. The resulting picture has been of a much better qualtity I would expect but the AR has been slightly stretched vertically, i.e. 2:35:1 source to 16:9, despite any tweaks on the DMP-BDT230 or on my TV, this remained the same. Also, I was unable to get any 5:1 surround sound (DS or DD) through my LG Receiver, only 2:1 stereo, from films with DD DTS.
I am on a learning curve with DLNA and do not know if I am expecting too much from DLNA but I'd be much obliged if any of you savvy AVS folk recommend me any superior DLNA-compliant software for Windows 7 I can use to help improve my streaming of films via my DMP-BDT230 to my LG TV and/or provide me with any advice on how to improve streaming quality and consistency.
Thank you in advance smile.gif"


Forget DLNA for now, it's too finicky. Get yourself a NAS drive on the LAN and let the player access it directly and plays it without transcoding, the PQ will be indistinguishable from blurays. I used ethernet connection on mine.
post #248 of 633
My 230 freezes up when trying to access Netflix. Playback is fine and Blu-ray is fine. I have to unplug to get it to work. Anyone else experiencing this or have any insight? Have latest 1.40 update.

UPDATE:
I'm taking this thing back. Very annoyed by the hang ups/freezes I experience every time I use it. I've used it 6 times since I set it up on Wed. and it's froze 9. Panasonic was no help. I'm sure future FW will resolve the issues but my return window is only good for 11 more days, (BB) and I'm not taking the chance.
Edited by Justin Sullins - 7/19/13 at 10:48am
post #249 of 633
Any update on the dual HDMI issue?
post #250 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

My 230 freezes up when trying to access Netflix. Playback is fine and Blu-ray is fine. I have to unplug to get it to work. Anyone else experiencing this or have any insight? Have latest 1.40 update.

UPDATE:
I'm taking this thing back. Very annoyed by the hang ups/freezes I experience every time I use it. I've used it 6 times since I set it up on Wed. and it's froze 9. Panasonic was no help. I'm sure future FW will resolve the issues but my return window is only good for 11 more days, (BB) and I'm not taking the chance.

My BDT500 is actually one of last years players and I've never had it freeze up on me but I have had lip sync issues when I try to play Netflix directly after playing a Blu Ray or DVD disc. If I want to play something from Netflix, after watching a disc, I turn the player off for a minute and turn it back on before I hit the Netflix button and it always plays well. I have no idea if that would help with the player freezing up or not and you've probably already taken it back anyway.

Al
post #251 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler55 View Post

My BDT500 is actually one of last years players and I've never had it freeze up on me but I have had lip sync issues when I try to play Netflix directly after playing a Blu Ray or DVD disc. If I want to play something from Netflix, after watching a disc, I turn the player off for a minute and turn it back on before I hit the Netflix button and it always plays well. I have no idea if that would help with the player freezing up or not and you've probably already taken it back anyway.

Al
I have 330 player the only issue I have,that hdmi control not working with my receiver,but im not taking back for that,it show a better image then any Panasonic bluray player I ever had
post #252 of 633
I don't know if this helps at all but I turned Quick Start on and I have noticed the 230 is a little more seamless in it's operation. Also, I'm having some issues with the picture with this player. I'm noticing ghosting/artifacts with the movement of characters in dark scenes (2D). I don't see it on PS3. I have the picture mode on Fine and everything else on Auto. I have 4 4 4 activated. Should I use RGB Enhanced?
post #253 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I don't know if this helps at all but I turned Quick Start on and I have noticed the 230 is a little more seamless in it's operation. Also, I'm having some issues with the picture with this player. I'm noticing ghosting/artifacts with the movement of characters in dark scenes (2D). I don't see it on PS3. I have the picture mode on Fine and everything else on Auto. I have 4 4 4 activated. Should I use RGB Enhanced?

I would switch picture to Normal, and use 4:2:2
post #254 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

I would switch picture to Normal, and use 4:2:2

What would that do exactly? Again, Normal seemed to darken the picture considerably and lost detail. Would putting on 4:2:2 help the shadow detail with it on Normal?

UPDATE: I just read an article stating that 4:2:2 was closer to what's on the Blu-ray disc than 4:4:4. Whites look hotter making the blacks crush on 4:4:4 compared to 4:2:2. This could be my issue. Should I keep Deep Color on?
Edited by Justin Sullins - 7/20/13 at 11:14am
post #255 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I don't know if this helps at all but I turned Quick Start on and I have noticed the 230 is a little more seamless in it's operation. Also, I'm having some issues with the picture with this player. I'm noticing ghosting/artifacts with the movement of characters in dark scenes (2D). I don't see it on PS3. I have the picture mode on Fine and everything else on Auto. I have 4 4 4 activated. Should I use RGB Enhanced?
Yes turn on enhanced
post #256 of 633
On Panasonic, I've always had the best luck with 4:2:2, Deep Color Off, Lighter, otherwise I get hot whites and black crush like you. As for artifacts, remember Panny has all these "enhancements" turned on by default which can only be turned off during disc playback (super resolution, detail enhancement, etc.). Those need to be turned off right away.
post #257 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

On Panasonic, I've always had the best luck with 4:2:2, Deep Color Off, Lighter, otherwise I get hot whites and black crush like you. As for artifacts, remember Panny has all these "enhancements" turned on by default which can only be turned off during disc playback (super resolution, detail enhancement, etc.). Those need to be turned off right away.

I'm only able to use Picture Mode/Audio during playback. My issue is mainly with 2D, so maybe those options are only available during 3D playback? I also don't have an option called "Lighter" in the menu.
post #258 of 633
First off, Id use the Normal setting, as far as color space, noone knows the right setting unless they have tested that model tv. Spears and Munsil disc is perfect for that, and there are plenty of times where 444 out gives you a better result than 422. Keep in minds just about every set top box (DVR's, Roku, etc...) is outputting forced 444 of either RGB/ycbcr.
post #259 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

First off, Id use the Normal setting, as far as color space, noone knows the right setting unless they have tested that model tv. Spears and Munsil disc is perfect for that, and there are plenty of times where 444 out gives you a better result than 422. Keep in minds just about every set top box (DVR's, Roku, etc...) is outputting forced 444 of either RGB/ycbcr.

Normal crushes blacks. I have a PS3 on the same TV input with same TV Settings and Fine looks almost identical to the PS3 quality. I don't think the 230's Picture Mode has an effect on whether or not I'm seeing ghosting or artifacts with the picture. I put it on 4:2:2 and it does look a little better. I'll do some further testing tonight to see if it really makes that much of a difference.
post #260 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I'm only able to use Picture Mode/Audio during playback. My issue is mainly with 2D, so maybe those options are only available during 3D playback? I also don't have an option called "Lighter" in the menu.
I've never used 3D. They're probably somewhere under picture mode. Lighter might be called something different. In any case it's the other option besides Normal.
post #261 of 633
I stumbled upon this earlier today. Anyone agree?
http://hdguru.com/how-to-properly-configure-a-blu-ray-player/
post #262 of 633
hopefully i am posting in the right place.
thinking of buying a Panasonic DMP-BD79EB-K
what i want to know- If i have an NAS with no DNLA support, can i access movies on this?
movies could be divx of mkv.
To explain a little more- I have an apple setup with time capsule, on which have movies stored (it is a NAS system with standard SMB access)
i also have apple TV but cant find a solution to stream my movie selection to the apple TV without recoding them. so now thinking of alternative solution. So far the only viable solution appears to be a 'WD live tv' but hoping i can find a solution with blu ray, then i can dump my PS3. quite like the idea of a smart setup, with the likes of iplayer, although disappointed with panasonics selection of apps. but still..
post #263 of 633
interested by your comment.
thinking of buying a Panasonic DMP-BD79EB-K
what i want to know- If i have an NAS with no DNLA support, can i access movies on this?
how- the manual does not cover tis.
post #264 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

Normal crushes blacks. I have a PS3 on the same TV input with same TV Settings and Fine looks almost identical to the PS3 quality. I don't think the 230's Picture Mode has an effect on whether or not I'm seeing ghosting or artifacts with the picture. I put it on 4:2:2 and it does look a little better. I'll do some further testing tonight to see if it really makes that much of a difference.

To be frank, Id not necessarily blame it on the Panasonic. My PS3 Slim required a different brightness setting vs my Oppo 103, so, the PS3 has its own issues.

You should set the brightness and contrast for the player you are using, one size doesnt always fit all. Seems the 2013 Pannys act a little differently with the new chip. My BD85, BDT220 and BDT500 alll resulted in the same brightness as my Oppo's using a test disc.

The guys from Spears and Munsil have also found that the PS3 results in a different gamma result vs a Panny and Oppo, which matched each other. While people love to say "all blu-rays players are the same if they output bit for bit", I feel that is incorrect.
post #265 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

To be frank, Id not necessarily blame it on the Panasonic. My PS3 Slim required a different brightness setting vs my Oppo 103, so, the PS3 has its own issues.

You should set the brightness and contrast for the player you are using, one size doesnt always fit all. Seems the 2013 Pannys act a little differently with the new chip. My BD85, BDT220 and BDT500 alll resulted in the same brightness as my Oppo's using a test disc.

The guys from Spears and Munsil have also found that the PS3 results in a different gamma result vs a Panny and Oppo, which matched each other. While people love to say "all blu-rays players are the same if they output bit for bit", I feel that is incorrect.

I admit I was wrong and you were right about the Picture Mode needing to be on Normal. I tested and found that Fine was showing a lot more artifacts and snowiness compared to Normal but there is a slight loss in shadow detail. I guess I'm going to have to get used to it. I'm not sure if my TV supports Deep Color (LN46D630 Samsung) but my AVR does. Could this have an adverse effect on the picture if I leave Deep Color On or on Auto? Also, what should I do with the Progressive Setting? Leave it on Auto or Video? I'm not going to use the player for anything other DVD/Blu-Ray/Netflix. Mixed Content setting???
Edited by Justin Sullins - 7/20/13 at 6:31pm
post #266 of 633
I also misunderstood what you were talking about. Normal picture mode is good. Since you were talking about black crush, I thought you were talking about the Lighter/Darker HDMI setting. The lighter one is still the one you want.
post #267 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I admit I was wrong and you were right about the Picture Mode needing to be on Normal. I tested and found that Fine was showing a lot more artifacts and snowiness compared to Normal but there is a slight loss in shadow detail. I guess I'm going to have to get used to it. I'm not sure if my TV supports Deep Color (LN46D630 Samsung) but my AVR does. Could this have an adverse effect on the picture if I leave Deep Color On or on Auto? Also, what should I do with the Progressive Setting? Leave it on Auto or Video? I'm not going to use the player for anything other DVD/Blu-Ray/Netflix. Mixed Content setting???

Ive always cut deep color off in recent years, Ive not been able to prove benefit but have read people state it could cause issues if set to on. I can't remember what progressive mode is for, but Ive always left it in Auto.
post #268 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I also misunderstood what you were talking about. Normal picture mode is good. Since you were talking about black crush, I thought you were talking about the Lighter/Darker HDMI setting. The lighter one is still the one you want.

For some reason it won't let me access that setting, (HDMI Black Level), on my television with the Blu-Ray activated. I can access it with the PS3 and they, (Blu-Ray/PS3), are on the same TV Input with my AVR.
post #269 of 633
I don't think you can change it during playback. Just stop the disc and change it.
post #270 of 633
An update on the dual HDMI-issue where you can get only 1080i when setting HDMI(SUB) to V.OFF. I finally was contacted by a very nice person on Panasonic's escalation team and was sent a beta-firmware update to try out (European version V1.29). This actually solves the 1080i instead of 1080p-issue, however when doing my long tests, another problem popped up with audio. For details just see my email to Panasonic. Would be interested to see if others have this problem as wel - i believe I noticed this on my earlier firmware 1.26 as well, but when video was only shown in 1080i this was the more pressing issue. Glad that one is solved now.

My email to Panasonic:

thank you very much for the firmware update-disc which arrived Saturday and which I tested today. The upgrade worked and my player got updated from 1.26 to 1.29 firmware version.

I set the HDMI(SUB)-output mode to "V.OFF (Video off)". I then popped in my "The Dark Knight Rises" Blu-ray and can confirm the video was now showing in 1080p24 where before it was only showing in 1080i60 with this setting. So SUCCESS for fixing the issue I described in my initial case! Thanks a lot.

Now comes the "but": An issue that remains and which I believe was also present in the 1.26 firmware version is that the audio in this setup (with HDMI(SUB) set to V.OFF) is somehow downgraded. In "normal" setting I get DTS HD MASTER 7.1 audio which my amplifier confirms on its display. However with V.OFF I only get standard DTS 5.1 (WITHOUT the MASTER HD).

I tried switching the HDMI-cables around and while doing this noticed that audio was still being transmitted over the HDMI(MAIN)-output although the manual and player menu say that with HDMI(SUB) set to V.OFF the HDMI(MAIN) would not transmit any audio-signal. I even got DTS HD MASTER 7.1 when only connecting to HDMI(MAIN) with this setup.

Same goes for 3D-Blu-rays. So essentially with this setup one cannot get the 7.1 audio from the system, probably due to the audio still coming out of HDMI(MAIN). The main reason for the two HDMI-outputs on the 330 for most people is that they have older amplifiers which cannot handle the 3D-video-signal. As such the player should output one clean video-only-signal on HDMI(MAIN) and one clean audio-only signal on HDMI(SUB) when the player is set-up that way. This way the video goes to the 3D-projector and the audio goes to the amplifier.

I hope I explained the remaining issue properly. It is good to see that Panasonic cares about its customers and that the firmware-update fixed the most glaring 1080i->1080p problem. Hopefully the audio-downgrading problem can be fixed as well. Let me know if you need more information, tests or clarifications. I believe the BDT-330 to be a very good Blu-ray-player and am glad to help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Panasonic DMP 79/89/130(UK)/225/230/330 Owners Thread 2013